• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Reward System] Thoughts?

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I just had this thought that might assist in having substantial posts.
You see how we have this system where you can like posts?

How about a new addon where you can say whether a post is substantial or not toward the main post? I do like the "like" option but I believe that we can take it further and add a system to show community suppot towards a substancial system.
This , in my opinion, would help lessen the inaccuracies with trolls posting their opinions which have no correlation towards to the subject of the main posting.
I would love to hear everyone's opinons.
As a developer, I do have the ability to implement this, within the code in the XenForo , with the blessings of the current staff.

My question is:
Would you all desire a system where you can rate a post as being substancial or not? The "Like " geature isgood but its lacking.
tell me y0our thoughts..

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just had this thought that might assist in having substantial posts.
You see how we have this system where you can like posts?

How about a new addon where you can say whether a post is substantial or not toward the main post? I do like the "like" option but I believe that we can take it further and add a system to show community suppot towards a substancial system.
This , in my opinion, would help lessen the inaccuracies with trolls posting their opinions which have no correlation towards to the subject of the main posting.
I would love to hear everyone's opinons.
As a developer, I do have the ability to implement this, within the code in the XenForo , with the blessings of the current staff.

My question is:
Would you all desire a system where you can rate a post as being substancial or not? The "Like " geature isgood but its lacking.
tell me y0our thoughts..
No. I don't want this place to become reddit. Honestly, I wish we didn't even track likes. The only use I see for a "like" button is for posts where all you really want to say in reply is "Me too!/I agree!/Good Idea!" etc.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No. I don't want this place to become reddit. Honestly, I wish we didn't even track likes. The only use I see for a "like" button is for posts where all you really want to say in reply is "Me too!/I agree!/Good Idea!" etc.
Exactly. IMO the "Like" button should be a gauge for the DEVs to see what idea's that players submit that other players would LIKE and want to see implemented and should be considered. And also for what things might need revisions or reviews to make them better.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not talking about unproductive trolling, but I'm not against posts getting off track of the original post - that's the nature of a group conversation - starting a conversation does not give somebody control of it

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not talking about unproductive trolling, but I'm not against posts getting off track of the original post - that's the nature of a group conversation - starting a conversation does not give somebody control of it
Kinda like good RP.... Good RP like a good post starts with a bit of an idea and then allows all other players to change the course or add to the course in their own way... until it eventually leads to nothing like the start but everyone that contributed feels satisfied with the outcome in some way... and works together for the fun of all...

A good posts starts with a concept or idea and others either expand on the idea or problem to solve it or offer ideas toward a solution or simply justify the current process...

They should not be degrading towards others and such which I do know from time to time I do let passion get the better of me and I do tend to get ver defensive of some things. Sometimes I just need a gentle reminder ... other times I might need more of one and however sometimes ...... It's best just to let me cool off or I might get a bit more passionately defensive.

But a good post gives ideas and sometime constructive criticism is good... especially when it gives rise to new and better ideas.

I recall long ago having a conversation with Draconi about my extreme irritation with Heritage tokens..... and I said to him that I thought they were done HORRIBLY wrong... and said that the carpets and some of the other "duplicate" sort of items like the tables... should have been done like the old banner deeds.... and they should have been ONE deed that allowed you to then chose from a variety of different styles. And he agreed that it should have been done that way... but sadly it was too late to be fixed. I keep hoping that it will eventually get fixed. The way I see it fixing it would make sense. Since then you would only need to have a few deeds yet be able to change the color of your carpeting at a whim... but then now we have the pieces of carpet to use it's not so important anymore.

But it's things like that which get the DEVs thinking. IMO they should consider a few VERY important things everytime they put a new item or group of items into the game...

1) Can this be made stackable? This is a #1 pet peeve of many folk in the game.
2) Can it be dyed? Since we have loads of fancy dyes it's nice to be able to use them on our favorite things. This also gives us a reason to keep using spring clean points... as well it adds to the custom-ability of things which is IMO important to UO .... It's part of what sets UO apart from other games.
3) Did I add this to Vendor Search? Silly not to remember to do this. And along with that is this something that should be added to spring clean points? Don't forget old systems when creating new items.
4) Blessed vs Non-Blessed. If it's blessed don't forget Siege folk don't always like that. But gifts shouldn't get stolen...
5) Deed vs items If it's several items of a type perhaps making them more like the Banner deeds is the way to go. Gives players more variety and again customization... also adds to it's tradeability and usefulness.
6) Choices. Sometimes the Holiday deeds or tokens are the best way to go so we can pick one of a variety of items... or keep and wait till it's needed. This also cuts way down on item counts.
7) Item as is or should this be added as a recipe or craftable? Honestly I think most things should be craftable. If it's something that future generations of players are going to find handy like vases, display cases, welcome mats, mailboxes, the runic atlas etc..... these are things that should be a craftable. Save gifts for things like named personal stuffs.

Players like their own character names on stuff as much as they like getting DEV and EM names. Though not every gift needs a card or a name... it's still more special to have one than not. Some don't like the dates on things.... some think that the date ought to be in Britannian years. But those get a bit odd. If the website is well documented as to when we got what gifts dates are less important on things.

Oooh I ramble when I'm sleepy.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*laughs*... Yes sleepy. My brain just keeps going... and going... like the energizer bunny... can't stop it. I know I tend to do marathon posts. But if you can manage to read them... usually they have some really good idea's and suggestions.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
There was something kinda sorta like that being discussed a couple years ago... where people with so many likes get special forum rewards/tags/badges/yadda yaddas.... but the systems were a bit convoluted and resources started to dry up.

If you have a suggestion for the Stratics Boards... you would do better to post them here: Stratics Suggestions and Ideas
That way the Staff such will see it and discuss.

Of course, one needs to weigh the pros/cons and impact on the boards as it is a rather complex plugin that (if memory serves) costs a bit of money.