• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone else think it might be fun to do a "no player economy" character?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I found Shame to be OK for very low level armor, and then you get bored with it and move on. Let us know if you find out otherwise

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found Shame to be OK for very low level armor, and then you get bored with it and move on. Let us know if you find out otherwise
I will. But first I have to know where I can find mage and mystic spells on low level critters... ;-)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will. But first I have to know where I can find mage and mystic spells on low level critters... ;-)
Toxic Sliths have fairly low defenses, pretty solid loot, and instant respawn. They may be a bit much for a newb, especially a melee one, but once you are able they are a good target for garg gear. Also you can kill them for a quest in town every half hour or something. Doing the hunter quests is actually a good source of gold, and I would imagine a new player could do both slith quests fairly easily, and eventually the boura and raptor ones.

Plus if you are doing this on siege and you get a white or black book from that quest I would pay you a lot of money! I know it's against the spirit of the idea but...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks! :) I still got alot of holiday and anniversary presents on Siege (last 5-6 years). However, I dont want to make money this way. What I need now acutally are Blade Spirits and Protection. And more LRC-Armor. Phew, the entrance of the Underworld on Siege is a really bad place... Why did these guys place it on top of the demon temple? What a bad idea!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I forgot you're not only trying not only for the armor but the spell scrolls as well without buying them. Now this I never did, just killed enough until I had the gold to buy a spellbook. Whew, that blade spirits will indeed be a happy day

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks! :) I still got alot of holiday and anniversary presents on Siege (last 5-6 years). However, I dont want to make money this way. What I need now acutally are Blade Spirits and Protection. And more LRC-Armor. Phew, the entrance of the Underworld on Siege is a really bad place... Why did these guys place it on top of the demon temple? What a bad idea!
There are two hubs you can use to access the houses in Abyss. The one right outside of Umbra and another in New Magencia. These can get you into the Abyss easy peasy...la

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The gargolye quest for accessing the abyss should be easier. So with the entrance through the tomb of kings.
Without guarantee: Mobs that are exclusiv/were newly introduced with SA should all have gargish items as loot. Normal slithes for example or maybe the goblins from the low level minispawns. The tier 1 quests of the huntsman should give you ideas to what to fight. The lowest lvl void creatures might be ok, too. But i dont know, if those have loot at all. Similar as the quest with the ... pitchfork(?). Which you have to pick up on one of the fields. To get at least some resists for a start, train magic resist. The difference between no reists and 40 is real.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are two hubs you can use to access the houses in Abyss. The one right outside of Umbra and another in New Magencia. These can get you into the Abyss easy peasy...la
Found it! Thanks! Day 5 of my pve-ironman on Siege: LRC 60, earned around 40k with toxic sliths, but had to spend alot for black pearls for casting. Lucky me found the teleporter hub and used the Abyss for hunting. Great , thank you Siege!

Next thing was building small 7x7 in an easily accessible location. Ironman is fun. However, I dont want to know how it feels to lose all my looted armor. I hope, Siege wont be too evil for me.

Skills now between 45 and 75. Works better every day. Should have done this earlier. Spells and LRC however are still mayhem!

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favorite ways to build magery spellbook without buying spells is to build some resist and wear some basic armor to kill low level creatures like ratmen mages, imps and orc mages. Or another great way is to loot dungeon crates that spawn basic equipment and magery scrolls. Crates will even spawn 8th circle spells for free!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, of course! Completely forgot about this! I think I should care more about quests and other options such as the dungeon chests. But I can resume one thing: Making a fresh start with nothing in your pockets and without participation in ANY player work (including player-events) is not that hard and really funny. I love it.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One other thing I could suggest for players going this route who have stygian abyss is to train up enough taming to be able to tame two lowland bouras. Once you tame them and bond them, you can drop taming altogether, but they are an effective fighting force, especially for unestablished characters.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Found it! Thanks! Day 5 of my pve-ironman on Siege: LRC 60, earned around 40k with toxic sliths, but had to spend alot for black pearls for casting. Lucky me found the teleporter hub and used the Abyss for hunting. Great , thank you Siege!

Next thing was building small 7x7 in an easily accessible location. Ironman is fun. However, I dont want to know how it feels to lose all my looted armor. I hope, Siege wont be too evil for me.

Skills now between 45 and 75. Works better every day. Should have done this earlier. Spells and LRC however are still mayhem!
Welcome to the shard :) ...la

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
95 LRC and a second suit with 80 LRC ready now. All loot. Not the best stuff, but working... Skills between 60 and 85 now. Why do people always say, setting up a char in UO is hard and time consuming? I tried Star Wars Old Republic and after leveling to level 10 without one minute outside this boring quest system and the dull tutorial I was really happy to do a sandbox-thing again... Hopefully, I don´t get killed and lose all my stuff ;-) Its crap only, but it took a while ;-)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, as sort of a PVE ironman thing. No buying from players, no buying from player vendors, no trading. (Maybe make an exception when it comes to buying repair deeds.) Everything you wear and use is either NPC purchased, a quest reward, or something you personally looted.

Obviously a character operating under these restrictions isn't going to be very strong since the game is so gear-dependant these days, but it is really the worst thing in the world if regular monsters are an actual threat for once? At least you get to look at some random loot and say "Yay an upgrade!" on a regular basis.

The only annoying thing might be the fact that characters don't have their own separate gold balances anymore, but even that isn't a big deal. Characters like this won't be slinging around millions, and can probably get away with just storing their gold in a chest in a house and taking what they need by hand.

Just a thought I'm having.
I did this once a good while back. I created this character simply know as The Woodsman. My aim was to just live a life out in the wilderness. I started of 'living' in an inn and wandered out into the wilds chopping trees, skinning wild animals, a bit of mining. I only sold to NPC's and eventually saved enough gold to build a small log cabin out in the wilds where I set up home. I never paid any attention to skill gain. I gained in many many skills that I used but never trained any of them at all. My trusty axe that I used to chop trees was my means of defence. By the end I had a nice little home set up, had a pet bear. wore simple leather armour and axe bought from NPC's. It was quite liberating and I really enjoyed it. No grind, no training, just living as a woodsman.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I did this once a good while back. I created this character simply know as The Woodsman. My aim was to just live a life out in the wilderness. I started of 'living' in an inn and wandered out into the wilds chopping trees, skinning wild animals, a bit of mining. I only sold to NPC's and eventually saved enough gold to build a small log cabin out in the wilds where I set up home. I never paid any attention to skill gain. I gained in many many skills that I used but never trained any of them at all. My trusty axe that I used to chop trees was my means of defence. By the end I had a nice little home set up, had a pet bear. wore simple leather armour and axe bought from NPC's. It was quite liberating and I really enjoyed it. No grind, no training, just living as a woodsman.
I so wish we could do that (build a little house in the woods) without having to start another account

EDIT: OK, I know somebody is going to say, "But you can on Siege" ... la
EDIT 2 : Spelling corrected at the request of Scoundrel

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok folks, here is my update: Skills around 80-90 now, Focus, Medi and Hiding 100. 30k in Gold in the Bank, a small custom house and some quests accomplished. Got two complete LRC-Sets from loot.

I am at a Point now where I could use some help: which mobs drop 1k Gold or more, are easy to Farm and easily accessible?

Furthermore, I would love to get in Contact to some decent People who Love to Hunt. Ah, I found Mr. Kelmos Teleporters and Houses. I am deeply impressed. I would Love to meet You ingame, Sir.

Apologies for my Typos, I am writing with German Autocorrection. Hörbrille!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ok folks, here is my update: Skills around 80-90 now, Focus, Medi and Hiding 100. 30k in Gold in the Bank, a small custom house and some quests accomplished. Got two complete LRC-Sets from loot.

I am at a Point now where I could use some help: which mobs drop 1k Gold or more, are easy to Farm and easily accessible?

Furthermore, I would love to get in Contact to some decent People who Love to Hunt. Ah, I found Mr. Kelmos Teleporters and Houses. I am deeply impressed. I would Love to meet You ingame, Sir.

Apologies for my Typos, I am writing with German Autocorrection. Hörbrille!
How many hours a day are you dumping into this?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're a mage and can cast EVs now? Tomb of Kings before abyss entrance (now that you have hiding to break snake aggro) and fairy dragons in abyss

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, at the moment, my EVs have 50:50 chance. Thats enough for a mob that does not aggro you like the fairy dragons. Thanks for your help!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, at the moment, my EVs have 50:50 chance. Thats enough for a mob that does not aggro you like the fairy dragons. Thanks for your help!
Also, two blade spirits can handle the tomb of kings spawn pretty easily, and those undead guardians drop 1200 or so each

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, be sure to keep those pottery fragments and tattered scrolls from the corpses - and the rare ancient tome - you can cash those in for tens of thousands over time with Axem at the Museum of Wonders - invaluable for a new character