• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Theories of la…

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theories of la…

As not to derail the threadhttp://stratics.com/threads/the-time-has-come.360518/on Zuckuss’goodbye, I figured I would start a new thread on the subject of why Rico end his posts with “la” .

Recap from the thread above (to the best of my recall – I may have gotten a few things at tad off):

Perta Fyde: …image of la being fine tuned

TheScoundrelRico: image of Perta Fyde, TheScoundrelRico, and la (adds in a la)

Perta Fyde: …you have to know how annoying your 'la' can be…

Pitotr: Theory 1 attempt at the origins of la via a cough drop

Giggles: It all makes sense… world peace

Hannes Erich: Wants to believe it is not true – feels cheated

TheScoundrelRico: Reassures Hannes Erich it is wrong, then adds in a la

MalagAste: Theory 2 typo on a keyboard in the past that spiraled out of control over the years

Victim of Siege: Theory 3 it’s a culture thing, then threatens to use powerful google magic to uncover the truth.

Talyor: Theory 4 it is a Chinese plot

Flutter: Acknowledges knowledge of la is sexy (that whip still scares me. I feel for the person's safety that figures out the truth)

TheScoundrelRico: States everyone is wrong. Adds clue about why “he” uses it, then adds in a la

Nexus: Theory 5 it is a Rico amusement plot

TheScoundrelRico: Denounces the theory with a long response, then, adds in a la

Victim of Siege: Theory 6 blames the voices in Rico’s head from too much use of disguise kits (editor’s comment… I could see this theory has problems. Disguise kits work well.. at least until Rico types and the la comes out)

Kelmo: Theory 7 it is plot to gain attention and increase his posting count to get people to write new threads about why he says la (ok I added a bit into this one)

TheScoundrelRico: Confirms everything is wrong, then adds in a la

TimberWolf: Notices thread has gotten sidetracked by la discussion. Thread back on track (thus the reason for this thread)

Ok… so here goes my theory (please feel free to add your own) Rico’s family was related to the ancient Knights who say Ni, but over time the Rico’s great grandfather turned to the dark side and he went down a life of crime. Banished from Knights who say Ni, a strong spell was cast on Rico’s great grandfather to force Rico’s family to always say La instead of Ni. Also a lesser spell was cast to include other favorite phase like “wrong”. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps he is a fan of the smurfs. La la lala la la la lala la la.

Damnit shouldn't have typed that. Now I have it stuck in my head. I'll never think of Rico the same ever again.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
La is initials ?
This was one of my ideas too, but it only occurred to me during Zuckus's thread. I actually typed a few theories of my own into that thread, but quickly deleted them out of courtesy to Zuckus. I actually think Rico's "...la" thing is pretty funny, except when we (yes, usually people besides Rico) use it to derail other threads. It used to bother the hell out of me. On a previous incarnation of Stratics, I once laid into him about it. I came to regret that, as he easily argued my younger self in circles. I never interacted with him again until Zuckus's thread, more out of respect than malice. You know, like you respect any peril. The guy has "scoundrel" right in his name, folks!

I think this thread is about ten years overdue. :mf_prop:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theories of la…

As not to derail the threadhttp://stratics.com/threads/the-time-has-come.360518/on Zuckuss’goodbye, I figured I would start a new thread on the subject of why Rico end his posts with “la” .

Recap from the thread above (to the best of my recall – I may have gotten a few things at tad off):

Perta Fyde: …image of la being fine tuned

TheScoundrelRico: image of Perta Fyde, TheScoundrelRico, and la (adds in a la)

Perta Fyde: …you have to know how annoying your 'la' can be…

Pitotr: Theory 1 attempt at the origins of la via a cough drop

Giggles: It all makes sense… world peace

Hannes Erich: Wants to believe it is not true – feels cheated

TheScoundrelRico: Reassures Hannes Erich it is wrong, then adds in a la

MalagAste: Theory 2 typo on a keyboard in the past that spiraled out of control over the years

Victim of Siege: Theory 3 it’s a culture thing, then threatens to use powerful google magic to uncover the truth.

Talyor: Theory 4 it is a Chinese plot

Flutter: Acknowledges knowledge of la is sexy (that whip still scares me. I feel for the person's safety that figures out the truth)

TheScoundrelRico: States everyone is wrong. Adds clue about why “he” uses it, then adds in a la

Nexus: Theory 5 it is a Rico amusement plot

TheScoundrelRico: Denounces the theory with a long response, then, adds in a la

Victim of Siege: Theory 6 blames the voices in Rico’s head from too much use of disguise kits (editor’s comment… I could see this theory has problems. Disguise kits work well.. at least until Rico types and the la comes out)

Kelmo: Theory 7 it is plot to gain attention and increase his posting count to get people to write new threads about why he says la (ok I added a bit into this one)

TheScoundrelRico: Confirms everything is wrong, then adds in a la

TimberWolf: Notices thread has gotten sidetracked by la discussion. Thread back on track (thus the reason for this thread)

Ok… so here goes my theory (please feel free to add your own) Rico’s family was related to the ancient Knights who say Ni, but over time the Rico’s great grandfather turned to the dark side and he went down a life of crime. Banished from Knights who say Ni, a strong spell was cast on Rico’s great grandfather to force Rico’s family to always say La instead of Ni. Also a lesser spell was cast to include other favorite phase like “wrong”. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

He's an opera singer irl, always trying to keep the pipes in primo shape. la la laaaa

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My mom use to put "..la" after everything she would write the family... it meant "Love Always" LOL :grouphug: rico loves us.
I like this one, could also mean Love All

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Checked la on Dictionary.com which gives:

interjection
an exclamation of surprise or emphasis

He's using it as an emphasis for what he's said?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
la... in the urban dictionary... defined as a Cantonese exclamation which can be added after each and every sentence... as in "Boy that thief ... la" or "I die to ur uber wit ... la"

Similar to the Canadian "eh"

HOWEVER

Rico has already dissuaded the language thing and I don't think he's Chinese.

Of course, it could very much just be something he does to drive everyone bonkers simply because it is so innocuous everyone feels the urge to define it simply based on his reputation to irk and annoy... which basically has me in stitches all the time. ;)

IMOSHO, I feel it is rather his tag.. much like my chibi baby monkey is. Wouldn't it be awesome if he applied colors for various holidays?

...la! - 4th of July, Veteran's Day, any patriotic day for a whole lot of countries
...la - (sans exclamation) Valentine's Day
...la! - St. Patrick's Day

...anyhoo.... :hula:

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guesses short for legendary agitator, light-fingered absconder, larceny advocate, or (see you) later alligator!

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You nailed it. As always he revels in annoying people lol

So lets talk about your handle on here.

Far as I know there are 3 famous Captains in the world which are Kangaroo, Crunch, and Kirk.

Which one did you steal the Capt from?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread is so funny. I actually posted a question to Rico about this about about two years ago, and of course he ignored me, and that peeved at me at the time, being ignored, but now I see he's always been that way. I've always had the image of la as the musical note a thief might sing as he ran away smiling after he stole your stuff, sort of like, ''Tra la la, i'm out of here, see you later, sucker.'' Anyway I guess all this is more free advertising for Seige and its deviant lifestyle. *Whoops, did I say deviant? I meant alternative*

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
So lets talk about your handle on here.

Far as I know there are 3 famous Captains in the world which are Kangaroo, Crunch, and Kirk.

Which one did you steal the Capt from?
Well, first I'll say I'm very flattered to have aroused your curiosity. I was Captain Lucky on the boards and for whatever reason couldn't get my password back. Captain Lucky was taken lol. So.... Capt. Lucky BUT what I find to be of more interest is who was Captain Lucky? Well in Ohio there's Kings Island Amusement Park. Any park around my area I've been to. Six Flags (Chicago), Cedar Point, Hersey, Paramount (Toronto), Boblo, Michigan Adventure, anything tourist trap like (caves, roadside snake pits), but I digress. So I'm camping and hit King's Island for a few days. It's summer, it's hot, etc. So almost hidden away is this little theater. It's showing a pirate movie. Dark, air conditioned, all very nice. When a cannon ball would hit the water, water would spray from the ceiling, seat vibrated to the movie, 3D, all that rot. So it had some folks from Monty Python in it (which was great) but the captain of the ship was Leslie Nielsen (who I think is great) as Captain Lucky. And thus a UO legend is born ;) Gonna go over to IMDB and see if I can find the movie cause it was great. Probably about 20 minutes or so. Would love to see it again.

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like to imagine Ricos "la" being a baby jesus dressed in one of those tuxedo shirts...