• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Year....What's the Secret?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought that bit was rather amusing...I WAS going to ask her if she would dye my mask but after the night she had I didn't dare...she probably needed a drink or two after that meet and greet!

I will have the transcript up later today, so sorry @Mesanna that you had to deal with all of that nonsense, and thank you again for coming to Origin, some of us Originals do appreciate it!
Yeah kinda how things had gone on GLs... Was kinda insane. But you know I'm very glad that they keep doing them. +10 for them on that. But you know what they say about a few rotten apples.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds like she almost got it right....a full resignation would have been the perfect gift to the paying customers.

Lets face it the recent legacy hasnt been positive.

1) a huge EM corruption issue that blew up in her face and resulted in the restructuring of rules and the removal or resignation of quite a few EM's who were abusing their powers.
2) a complete joke of an expansion launch which included as it's marque item a new pet the is exactly the same as a pet launched 7-8 years ago.
3) 18th anni gifts that dont work in the flag ship Client....heck they dont work properly in either client.

and that is just what....the last 9 months to a year.....

Time for someone new that isnt a sleep at the helm...and that gives a crap about this franchise. Paying customers deserve much better then this!

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep you guys be nice to Mesanna and the Devs because they keep this game and that's no small task. Sure it's not a perfect game but it's still running after all these years.
I sometimes lose my cool with them when I get a tad shall we say passionate about a subject. Like asking to be able to imbue spellbooks.... every other weapon class is allowed to pick and chose and design their weapons.... but mages are subject to wasting BILLIONS in resources to make feeble attempts to get a slayer....

Anyway .... I'm sure most everyone is very glad for all that they do for us.

Personally I am glad they take the time to do the Meet and Greets.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Americans bringing politics into UO?
Well what can we really expect when Donald Trump is actually leading the Presidential race...........they just plain crazy. :gee:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@Hannes Erich You're right to a point, but with all respect, then you crossed into defining inaction as desirable, and that's where you lost me.

Do I want the CC shoehorned into the EC? No. I'd also note that I run UO on wine on Linux. EC on Linux does not work. There's few of us Linux users left, but for those who are, if you force EC, we quit. Simple as that.

What I want is what has been proven on freeshards to already be doable:
* Allow me a larger view area than 800x600
* Increase the updating range to cover the increased resolution
* Fix the broken house cache so it does actually cache
* Fix the memory leaks that make animated tiles (lava, swamp) and spell effects (armigeddon flame circle effect) or over 6000 items within update range (ie castles) lag/crash the client.

After that, transparent water would be a HUGE improvement. The code is there, they just need to actually use it, like the freeshards do. Hell, license or buy all the various user-created art and maps. There's a ton of beautiful clothing, items, and places out there. Just a example I've run across Grafikportal | uo-pixel.de . Beautiful and it pushes the client just a little, while keeping the feel of the game. (technically this is a graphics/map pack, not a util, so I think it's ok to link...) There's a ton of water in UO. Maybe make use of it, for more than chasing pirates and fishing? At least make it more visually interesting - that was the original intent, anyhow... that you be able to see fish swimming, etc.

Then take the "recent" graphics - maple tree, large vase, sun dial, etc, and fix them. Perspectives are wrong. Shadows are wrong. (I even posted a fixed vase re shadows , but it wasn't used, unfortunately :p).

For the house tiles, make the missing tiles.

There's a good many people who are great at decor. Let us help. I know there's limits to the dev team - but why cannot they allow players to actively help with decor? Let us take part in adding detail to Malas, Tokuno, Ter Mur, Eodon, etc, and you'll have happier players who feel more invested, thus who stay around longer. :)

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Americans bringing politics into UO?
Well what can we really expect when Donald Trump is actually leading the Presidential race...........they just plain crazy. :gee:
And even worse is Bill Clinton's wife just across the aisle.

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair... it is players who attribute value to her name. Much like celebrity autographs in rl... to some they are valuable, to others it is "you paid how much for what?".

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair... it is players who attribute value to her name. Much like celebrity autographs in rl... to some they are valuable, to others it is "you paid how much for what?".
Yes but it is her job to understand the effect this would have on UO economy. It is her job not to publish crap, not to allow corruption, not to do things that damage the UO Brand!
This isnt her game....this is our game....and she works from us and she is damaging it!

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For those who consider online game development to be part of the service sector - people who regard the medium to be about the players - then inserting developers into the story reflects poorly ordered priorities. I'm not talking naming a monster after a designer.

Perhaps I'm simply being old school here. This industry has a long history of players becoming developers in games they love. It's how I got started in the business, long before UO. Your first job in those days was to surrender the player to become to servant. Developing an online game is soooooo not about you. And I found that very same sensibility at Origin. The new producer for the game back then was a fervent player who was being "directed" through the process to drop his former identity. Yes, he kept his game name but that was it.

I guess it was when I was going through one of the Abyss houses on Atlantic that was FILLED with Messana named items - many of which I doubt were in the game itself - that I had a negative reaction.....or perhaps the name sounded too much like Messiah to me, even though it was a battle in the First Punic War.

Thus perhaps my negative feelings about this issue are largely irrational. If it doesn't bother the players then no harm was done. And I don't know this woman. She could be doing the very best job she can under challenging circumstances. And the whole item naming thing could be, and likely is, wholly irrelevant.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but it is her job to understand the effect this would have on UO economy. It is her job not to publish crap, not to allow corruption, not to do things that damage the UO Brand!
This isnt her game....this is our game....and she works from us and she is damaging it!

Again, any value of the name is attributed by the player. Personally introduction of, items with Mesanna's name, event items, etc do not really affect the economy at all in my opinion. It does not create gold. Players are the ones that introduce gold into the economy, either legally or illegally. Mesanna doesn't cause their choices, greed and crappy morals are the culprit. It's the same as in RL... you have folks who go to work and work for their paycheck and people who are looking for the next get rich quick scheme in RL or pray on those who are either ignorant or take advantage of legal loopholes. You can not blame the rares market... event items are just the popular scapegoat. Many items farmed or crafted (including pvp gear) have been sold for just as much as many event items.

I truly don't understand folks who become upset because others have items that they deem worthless to them. I knew someone who was bragging once that they had a diamond encrusted iphone case... even if I won 500m in a lottery, I wouldn't buy such a thing. It's UGLY in my opinion and TO ME it isn't worth the $7,000 they paid for it. If it fell in my lap, I'd just sell it because I wouldn't want it and would prefer the money to buy something I would like... a diamond studded phone case serves no purpose outside of bragging rights. Same thing with event items. Their introduction doesn't affect the economy and their value is only because we have given them their value. We do not have designer handbags and bejeweled bs for the state of our economy in rl.

Now do I own event items? Absolutely I do... but they are the ones that I find personal value in based on past/current rp of characters generally and I recognize they are only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay. If someone wants to buy some EM/Mesanna made item, who the hell cares. As long as the distribution of the items is open to folks as a whole, that is all I would care about. If that a problem in your opinion, attack that. EM items are not damaging the economy anymore than Gucci. Duping and "items" have existed since the beginning of UO (seer items, server births, monthly spawns come to mind). As long as there is a get rich quick scheme, there will be people who choose to take advantage of it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought that bit was rather amusing...I WAS going to ask her if she would dye my mask but after the night she had I didn't dare...she probably needed a drink or two after that meet and greet!

I will have the transcript up later today, so sorry @Mesanna that you had to deal with all of that nonsense, and thank you again for coming to Origin, some of us Originals do appreciate it!
What forum will you post it in?

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Hannes Erich You're right to a point, but with all respect, then you crossed into defining inaction as desirable, and that's where you lost me.

Do I want the CC shoehorned into the EC? No. I'd also note that I run UO on wine on Linux. EC on Linux does not work. There's few of us Linux users left, but for those who are, if you force EC, we quit. Simple as that.

What I want is what has been proven on freeshards to already be doable:
* Allow me a larger view area than 800x600
* Increase the updating range to cover the increased resolution
* Fix the broken house cache so it does actually cache
* Fix the memory leaks that make animated tiles (lava, swamp) and spell effects (armigeddon flame circle effect) or over 6000 items within update range (ie castles) lag/crash the client.

After that, transparent water would be a HUGE improvement. The code is there, they just need to actually use it, like the freeshards do. Hell, license or buy all the various user-created art and maps. There's a ton of beautiful clothing, items, and places out there. Just a example I've run across Grafikportal | uo-pixel.de . Beautiful and it pushes the client just a little, while keeping the feel of the game. (technically this is a graphics/map pack, not a util, so I think it's ok to link...) There's a ton of water in UO. Maybe make use of it, for more than chasing pirates and fishing? At least make it more visually interesting - that was the original intent, anyhow... that you be able to see fish swimming, etc.

Then take the "recent" graphics - maple tree, large vase, sun dial, etc, and fix them. Perspectives are wrong. Shadows are wrong. (I even posted a fixed vase re shadows , but it wasn't used, unfortunately :p).

For the house tiles, make the missing tiles.

There's a good many people who are great at decor. Let us help. I know there's limits to the dev team - but why cannot they allow players to actively help with decor? Let us take part in adding detail to Malas, Tokuno, Ter Mur, Eodon, etc, and you'll have happier players who feel more invested, thus who stay around longer. :)
You're preaching to the choir dude. I never said inaction was desirable to me. I've been trying to lead the horse to that trough for years, but it just won't drink. My post that you're responding to, let it sink in. I had a thread full of people voting down my suggestion simply for accessibility improvements (nothing at all to do with art assets), and then everyone wonders why UO can't get on Steam. I guarantee you EA marketing knows why, it's because retro is an easy sell right now, but retro user interfaces absolutely aren't and will never be. So a successful run on Steam would basically require the CC's art, but the EC's GUI, and Stratics would vomit everywhere and create a huge PR disaster for Broadsword over that, so UO is dead in the water, developmentally. Nothing you say or do will ever change that. @MalagAste knows what I'm talking about. But hey, you want the torch? You can have it, believe me you can have it, and best of luck to you friend. I'm going to save precious sanity points and spend the rest of my time with this game relaxing. By the way, there's a program that will give you a 1024x768 play area in the CC; or larger if you want, but you start to hit draw distance and black space at the corners beyond 1024x768. I won't share it (publicly or privately) because it isn't an approved third-party program. But I've tested it and seen it work. A larger play area IS possible. Never give up! :rolleyes2:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to log in and play and not think about it too much. :pint:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
By the way, there's a program that will give you a 1024x768 play area; or larger if you want, but you start to hit draw distance and black space at the corners beyond 1024x768. I won't share it (publicly or privately) because it isn't an approved third-party program. But I've tested it and seen it work. A larger play area IS possible. Never give up! :rolleyes2:
This is exactly what some of us are pancakes about...everyone else can do all this stuff, but the people gettting paid to run the game can't do it...You proved our point for us.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you guys are never around when I need you I guess. :grin:

I make a thread about improving QOL, I get a bunch of grumps telling me they'd quit over it.

And you know what, I'm not sure I'd want to see Broadsword waste all the sweat and tears on this audience. One thing I never say, because it would just complicate an already complicated topic, is that I don't really think they could simply "shove the CC into the EC's GUI", even though that's the metaphor I use. Petra Fyde and others have made numerous complaints about depth and elevation not being apparent in the EC, and then there's Brian's Linux issue. The fact is, the only successful UO client would be a third one that was built from the ground up to marry the most-loved aspects of both clients.

But see, you can't do that here. That's change. You can't sell change here, good or bad. And I think they're done building new clients anyway.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...everyone else can do all this stuff, but the people gettting paid to run the game can't do it...You proved our point for us.
You know I've been thinking about your reply Uriah. That's not actually the point I was making. We would both like to see some QOL. But I often blame the playerbase for resisting the progress that you seem to blame Broadsword for resisting; so that's a big difference. I also realize not all of it depends solely on the client's source code. Some changes would rely on server code too and that can be problematic because it's archaic.

This is going to sound like a defense of Broadsword, and I suppose it somewhat is, but mostly it's just me stating facts.

First, "everyone else's stuff" was not the result of 5 programmers (Broadsword's current staff), or even 20 programmers, or even a hundred. It was the result of hundreds of programmers, maybe thousands, ever since the first emulator appeared. If there was a "family tree", you could trace today's emulator branches back to it 18 years ago. In some ways you can't compete with that kind of development, in other ways there are major drawbacks.

A lot of people (including yourself) gloss over the fact that every emulation code branch is SEVERAL YEARS behind Broadsword content-wise, except for bits and pieces of recent expansions that developers were in the mood to code at one point or another. People who don't know any better say, "Oh look! Stygian Abyss!" When half of it isn't even there. I'm not saying this to deflate any passionate programmers; rather to temper your expectations of how much you can really get for free.

Secondly, in order for those freeshards to have many of the toys you're jealous of, new code had to be written. You're probably thinking that's obvious, but wait for the punchline. And we're only talking about code here. Some of those people make graphic assets too, but the overwhelming majority of assets are "borrowed" from Broadsword's hard work. Everyone likes to gloss over this too; they bring up some transparent water or something. Good job! But stop acting like they painted every tile from scratch. By the way, show me a shard that ever managed to get off the ground with transparent water and fully decorated seabeds. You can't. But I digress.

There were many, many times over the years when emulation server code was so thoroughly improved from the ground up, that shards running on that code faced a choice (here's the punchline!). Either keep running on older source code, or start all over with new source code. Or shut down for months or years, and go through a LOT of work (for free!) to see if it's possible to keep everyone's characters and accounts bug-free and corruption-free. This is why there are no 18 year-old shards out there. Because, just like Broadsword, they would have to start over to get them.

TL;DR
It's not as easy as telling Broadsword, "Do this, do that, freeshards do it...lol?" We would need an open dialogue to find out how feasible various QOL features are. Some things really aren't possible. Where is Broadsword going to get the money to write an entirely new server from scratch, using contemporary standards and tools? There's no use trying to "upgrade" archaic source code from before 1997, no emulation programmer would try it either. Even if they could, we would all need to be willing to kiss our characters goodbye for that sweet, contemporary code.

I'm sympathetic toward Broadsword; in UO's case, the community often reacts so negatively to improvements, it's no wonder if Broadsword sees risk behind every corner when it comes to once-touted plans like high-res art. Risk is bad for a 5-person studio. It's a business and it has to pay off.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As of December 1 the Dev team and the EM's went on vacation for the holidays.
They returned back to the office on Monday following new years.
This is something every dev team has done for ages.
Its nothing new... now that didn't stop kyronix and bleak from going in and fixing the super lag and get on the bless issue with the vaults.
They were working even on their holiday time.
To jump on them so fast is not fair.
If I remember correctly.... there was talk of a bug fix publish...something we all need done.
Hints of something more was given but no promises.
High rez art would be fantastic but... if it cant be done.. for any reason is not grounds to become gremlins.
I expect you to act like lady's and gentlemen something to be proud of.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Paying customers have the right to act like gremlins when they receive "poor customer service" (kinda like feeding them after bedtime or what ever it was that turned them bat **** crazy).
I really think people on this forum and Broadsword in general need to remember something....this is a customer service industry......we dont owe them anything, we are the reason this game exists and they have jobs.....period!
Stop blowing smoke up their butts....they have "on call" duties over their holidays just like every other tech out there. Something broke, it has to get fixed and somebody gets called in....dont go handing out medals...sheesh.
And I know a lot of gaming companies that dont shut down for the entire month of december....but that is neither here nor there.

The bottom line is there is virtually no value left in this game anymore. We are all just too addicted to the friendships and the pixie crack to walk away. The sad part is they know...that is why the keep feeding people after bedtime and turning them into gremlins!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Timber Your forgetting who owns UO.....the evil empire EA not broadsword...Broadsword is just the managing company... So go bark up another tree hun. I don't stay for the people .... I stay because this game is the only one I know where I am free to do as I please without constantly fighting or questing... or spending every dime of rl cash I got to get some pixel trinket or pet.....
I do miss the friends who are long gone.... but I do understand life goes on and I am grown up enough to play by myself and be quite happy doing so.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
We all feel disgruntled about something sooner or later. I stick around for two major reasons... (1) There are people I would miss, and (2) Whenever I think about leaving, I end up reminding myself that, without exception, my subscription over the years is easily the least expensive source of entertainment I've ever found.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
quit squirming, someone might get the wrong idea . . .
First off, you've got to understand something about my friend Gameboy here. He returned to our midst after lengthy and unsatisfying sojourns to more contemporary digital worlds that demand uniformity of attitude and effort....games far more interested in what you do, not who you are. Thus, unlike many of us - who voice legitimate concerns and criticisms - he's just happy to be here. So are those voicing those concerns and such but the difference is that he's not world weary.

And who among us doesn't get that eerie feeling, when we're happy, that the very act of admitting we're happy will not make what we love go away?

He loves this game as it is. The rest of us can go about our business....though our business will make Gameboy anxious from time to time :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First off, you've got to understand something about my friend Gameboy here. He returned to our midst after lengthy and unsatisfying sojourns to more contemporary digital worlds that demand uniformity of attitude and effort....games far more interested in what you do, not who you are. Thus, unlike many of us - who voice legitimate concerns and criticisms - he's just happy to be here. So are those voicing those concerns and such but the difference is that he's not world weary.

And who among us doesn't get that eerie feeling, when we're happy, that the very act of admitting we're happy will not make what we love go away?

He loves this game as it is. The rest of us can go about our business....though our business will make Gameboy anxious from time to time :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am really not sure how what I typed could be misconstrued as anything other than a joke, but then I guess some people don't get my humor. anyway, @Gameboy I hope you did not take offense at what I typed, let me know if you did.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Naw... I don't think he is funny either.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I could say something primitive, such as don't mess with members of my guild. But that wasn't the point. Don't mess with good people because these are fhe folks we will remember longest. And these are the people we want.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could say something primitive, such as don't mess with members of my guild. But that wasn't the point. Don't mess with good people because these are fhe folks we will remember longest. And these are the people we want.
I was not "messing" with anyone.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Please step on your shoulders and push.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Please step on your shoulders and push.
Yep, that's how I walk actually and have since '68.

I once joked that my manner of ambulation represented "de-evolution." Naturally I had to pick someone who didn't believe in evolution and she took it as if I were calling her a descendant of an ape :(

Hence my view on how much control we have over who laughs at our jokes ;)

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^

That is actually what I was thinking of but I was in a hurry and messed up on my delivery.

:facepalm:

Take it from me @Ansel sometimes the most gracious thing you can do is facepalm yourself and move on. Or stealth delete your post and then say "Who me? I didn't say anything."

Works for me! :mf_prop:

Misinterpretation is human, I did think the spirit of your post was nice though. @Gameboy sounds like good people so I'm glad he has folks in his corner.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
^^

That is actually what I was thinking of but I was in a hurry and messed up on my delivery.

Take it from me @Ansel sometimes the most gracious thing you can do is facepalm yourself and move on. Or stealth delete your post and then say "Who me? I didn't say anything."

Misinterpretation is human, I did think the spirit of your post was nice though. @Gameboy sounds like good people so I'm glad he has folks in his corner.
Oh I know. As I said earlier on, the failure here was mine....I don't lack a sense of humor....but I have this horrible flaw. If I so much as suspect that someone is taking a poke at a friend - and Vic really wasn't - sometimes I just lose it, alas. Or, put more kindly, I'm a bit of a mother hen.

So....are we really waiting on some sort of news in this topic?

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^

♥ everyone ♥