• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking For Players That Came Back Due To RTB

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just curious. Did you start playing UO again due to a RTB open period? If so, did you keep playing or did you stop playing when it was over? Why?

Have any constructive feedback that you think would benefit the Dev Team?

I thought this thread would tie in nicely with Rico's.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No....I never ever received communication about a RTB program....I returned after about a 6 year hiatus.

I stayed because I found a great guild with great GM ( who usually drives me nuts)....

Stop thinking your player base are morons and pick a handful of smart ones and talk to them.... gleen some ideas from them....rinse and repeat.

oh and Careful Amber.....you know Rico...he is just gonna steal the credit :)

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A few years back, when I wasn't playing, I'd come back because of the RtB program. It got me excited for a couple of months before I realized that I had seen very few people around, and I was woefully lacking in the gold/items to be effective.

This time around, I came back because my wife made the simple comment, "I miss playing UO."

My thought processes are different this time around. I'm not in a hurry to "git gud." I'm actually enjoying killing lesser stuff, and I'm working on my very first "pure bard," which is a slow process.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thought processes are different this time around. I'm not in a hurry to "git gud." I'm actually enjoying killing lesser stuff, and I'm working on my very first "pure bard," which is a slow process.
Nice to hear, so many go for top ability like it's the only way the game can be fun. :)

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTB has brought me back a few times, and not only because it coincided with new content. Oftentimes, a nicely presented newsletter with great pictures, art, and anecdotes were enough to get that itch going again.

I've always stayed past the end of the RTB, but things besides RTB have also been successful in bringing me back. Throughout the years, articles at places like Massively or Rock Paper Shotgun or the Escapist have popped up out of the blue, with a writer talking about how they're still having fun in UO. Sometimes I come back to check out some play style or content they gush about which I wasn't partial to in years past; because interests change. Nowadays I enjoy those "Roguelikes" all over Steam; most of those are way more punishing than Siege, right? At least you get to keep your character when you die on Siege. Maybe I ought to try it.

There are all kinds of questions that a thread like this raises for me though. This is the last community that I would expect to see asking for RTB en masse. Typically when there's an expansion or something like that, Stratics (as a community) goes into overdrive to burn bridges with the devs and drive away returning players with years worth of axes to grind. Broadsword has 5 people and I think you guys and gals are pretty unrealistic in the things that you ask for, especially after criticizing them for taking on large new projects while there are bugs you want fixed. You can't have it both ways. RTB done right requires a lot of fanfare and some press interaction, and especially with no PR or community liaison or stuff like that (not under Broadsword's control), there'd be time away from day to day development.

If that all sounds like I'm a big no-fun naysayer, quite the contrary. I'd love to see something like RTB. But I think for it to really work and be worth the effort 18 years on, the community (THAT MEANS YOU) need to be the ones to stand up, organize some events around content you deem alluring for a range of play styles, contact the press and let the public know why they should come back. You can make all the excuses you want, call it a service-based industry, say you're just a customer, you don't owe Broadsword anything. But then you turn around and say you miss how people used to play for the community? Makes no sense. That has nothing to DO with Broadsword. YOU'RE the community. Whether or not YOU'RE worth coming back to is all on YOU. What do you owe yourselves? Broadsword can't and isn't obligated to help you there. They gave you a sandbox; they never promised to change your diapers.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I came back because I was working on an Ultima-Inspired project and read on the Ultima Codex that Stratics was in trouble. Every MMO has these "return" events. If you don't have a desire to play they will rot in your spam folder. I have a couple from LOTRO, Conan, StarWars, Warcraft...all promising a free pony and a carrot if I return, meh.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well... to be brutally honest, I suck at combat. I have always sucked at it. My wife and I have come to terms with the fact that when we go hunting together, she will be rezzing me... a lot.
I laughed when I read this. So familiar. I can't tell you how many times I've heard my husband say 'Okay, where are ya' as he sits down to log in.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Last time I came back was when Stygian Abyss was announced - I don't remember where I heard about it but the whole idea of a new dungeon where you could loot ingredients to craft your own armor and weapons drew me in

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I came back with the last RtB (fall 2014?) and stuck around ever since. I had quit in 2009 just after Stygian abyss had come out...

Jester

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've came back to UO several times with RtB. I've been back since 2014 but haven't done much. I work to much in real life to have time to figure out all the new stuff. I just don't have the time to figure out the different type weapons and armor you have to have to successfully fight different creatures. I spend what time I get in game collecting rares or what I think is rares. Right now if someone asked what is keeping me in UO I would have to say so I can keep my castle and 18x18 north of minoc. I have way to much stuff that I want to keep that will never fit into bank boxes on 2 accounts lol. I do enjoy the time I spend in game though. I started playing in the spring of 98. Things have changed so much. most of the people I used to play with left because of all the changes (mainly to crafting). myself I liked it better when I could just throw on my armor and grab a sword and go fight.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I normally keep at lest one account active at all times, but I've reactivated closed accounts after logging on them during a RTB. I credit RTB, the new loot system (of 2014), and the Doom event in 2014 for the accounts reactivation.

RTB + new fun content = more subs.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did RTB a few years ago...but it wasn't enough to convince me to return.
At that time there were very little people on europe.

However since my husband has been in a coma...and escaped death.
We talked about a lot of stuff...including how we met...

We met in UO.
And he talked how he wanted to play UO again together with me.

So here we are...back in UO on europa.
Glad to see more people returning aswell.
Doing my best to gather things to start some vendors.
(provide some stuff to the people of europa)

That new vendor search option is just awesome and helps A LOT when you return to UO and want to deco your house or you're looking for new armor.

Greetings
-Mina-

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I did RTB a few years ago...but it wasn't enough to convince me to return.
At that time there were very little people on europe.
However since my husband has been in a coma...and escaped death.
We talked about a lot of stuff...including how we met...
We met in UO.
And he talked how he wanted to play UO again together with me.
So here we are...back in UO on europa.
Glad to see more people returning aswell.
Doing my best to gather things to start some vendors.
(provide some stuff to the people of europa)
That new vendor search option is just awesome and helps A LOT when you return to UO and want to deco your house or you're looking for new armor.
Greetings
-Mina-
That's a great story