• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Am I going insane or is it impossible to get a Runic Atlas to burn a charge?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Because right now it seems like Recall (Spell) and Recall (Charge) do exactly the same thing. Both fizzle on my sampire unless he's in wraith form. Neither causes my charges to go down when I use them as a wraith. Neither one cares if I actually have a mage spellbook on me.

Looks like these three runebooks I have half taken apart need to be pieced back together because this piece of @#$% doesn't actually work like it's supposed to.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a known issues. Hopefully getting fixed in the next publish.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Their Quality Assurance people need to be replaced, along with their code writers who clearly don't check their own work.

Sheesh. Incompetence a job requirement there?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Their Quality Assurance people need to be replaced, along with their code writers who clearly don't check their own work.

Sheesh. Incompetence a job requirement there?
That would be Mesanna's husband Misk's job. It's fairly obvious that he also did not test the book in the EC at all either since if he had he'd have seen that the runes are too hard to see... but I already pointed that out... though I didn't name name's. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly he tested on them before they were put in game.

Not that I want to be mean but...
Anyway we should have been able to test this on TC.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the issues were raised when it was on the test center, they just never addressed them.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somedays I think the best Jan secret announcement would be they are shutting down this team....and replacing them from the ground up....or maybe just it is time to shut the whole thing down. If the people running things dont care enough to check basic stuff....then why are we bothering to pay them???

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Somedays I think the best Jan secret announcement would be they are shutting down this team....and replacing them from the ground up....or maybe just it is time to shut the whole thing down. If the people running things dont care enough to check basic stuff....then why are we bothering to pay them???
are you saying the game should be shut down? you can always quit.

and one of the worst things that could be done is to replace the current staff. i know b/c i work as a developer on proprietary legacy code (similar to UO). to train someone to do development in a legacy code base is 6+ months and even then it takes some handholding from a seasoned developer. bring in a new team and we are dead in the water.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are you saying the game should be shut down? you can always quit.

and one of the worst things that could be done is to replace the current staff. i know b/c i work as a developer on proprietary legacy code (similar to UO). to train someone to do development in a legacy code base is 6+ months and even then it takes some handholding from a seasoned developer. bring in a new team and we are dead in the water.
We are dead in the water now......I would rather see UO shut down for 6 months....then see this crap continue

Last edited:

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I've also worked in development / QA for some years. The ratio of QA to development staff is far smaller than it should be in MOST organizations (NASA being an exception) -- but budget cuts and staff reductions clearly play a huge part in UO's development overall. This is not the same size staff as it once used to be, and that's just a reality of the economics of the day, sadly. I'm pretty impressed they have had the ability to put out an expansion to the game at all.

That said, under the circumstances better (and more frequent) communications would be a helpful and welcome thing.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because right now it seems like Recall (Spell) and Recall (Charge) do exactly the same thing. Both fizzle on my sampire unless he's in wraith form. Neither causes my charges to go down when I use them as a wraith. Neither one cares if I actually have a mage spellbook on me.

Looks like these three runebooks I have half taken apart need to be pieced back together because this piece of @#$% doesn't actually work like it's supposed to.
This is what Jeremey used to call a "Feature" lol...did you really expect something added to function properly the first time around? AND like all artwork added in the last few years, it is too big. Go figure

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We are dead in the water now......I would rather see UO shut down for 6 months....then see this crap continue
didn't we just get a new expansion about 3 months ago? is this what you call 'dead in the water'?

i work for a fortune 100 company. this company knowingly puts flawed code in production. the issues go onto a list to get fixed in a future release (a simplified explanation b/c there are real tools and processes used). BS operates in the same manner as hundreds of other IT shops.

edit: elenni nailed it. the issue is a lack of resources in the QA area. guess that's what we are for.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I know the game doesn't have a big team and I'm sympathetic to that. I'm not asking them to have a QA department full of scientists with holograms floating in the air and @#$%, I'm just suggesting that maybe when they code a thing with like three buttons that they push each of the buttons once to see if they do what they're supposed to.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't care who ya are, that's funny stuff right there LOL.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know the game doesn't have a big team and I'm sympathetic to that. I'm not asking them to have a QA department full of scientists with holograms floating in the air and @#$%, I'm just suggesting that maybe when they code a thing with like three buttons that they push each of the buttons once to see if they do what they're supposed to.
And I would further add that they do it in BOTH clients.

Logic is lost on many.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am torn about broadsword. On the one hand, I am a returning player who is thrilled to see UO is still alive and kicking, with a dev team that manages to not just respond to players as best they can with their limited resources, but also put new and thoughtful content on the table.... there is an element of love for the game there, and I feel inclined to reciprocate with gratitude and appreciation, because, quite frankly, we are lucky to be playing this 18 year old MMO.... we are lucky it hasn't been shelved.... and we are lucky to have a dev team that has a vision for this game.... mesanna, misk, kyronix and others were guests on a podcast, spam spam spam humbug (episode 27 or so).... they talked about how there is a work in progress to populate eodon and to run a series of bug fixes come January.... this makes me glad.... and lol call me a sucker but I could hear love of the game in the tones of their voices (no, my name ain't bush and I didn't see stars in putins eyes)....

On the other hand, some (not all) of the stuff this dev team comes up with smack of big ideas half assed done.... and the things that escape their QA... wow.... but I feel inclined to give them a chance and the benefit of the doubt..... after all, they are big ideas and candides traveling companions taught us that half an ass ain't always so bad

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm dumping all my atlases and going back to runebooks. One oddity I noticed this morning is that if you put it on a vendor and then dbl click it, it opens up as a corpse container :eek:

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AMEN, Well said, and roflmao!

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 2015 Note: There is currently a bug where using a recall charge will perform a skill check against your Magery skill as if you were casting the spell from a spellbook rather than a scroll. Thus characters without Magery skill will always fizzle. The developer team is aware of this issue, and it is slated to be fixed in Jan 2016.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dec 2015 Note: There is currently a bug where using a recall charge will perform a skill check against your Magery skill as if you were casting the spell from a spellbook rather than a scroll. Thus characters without Magery skill will always fizzle. The developer team is aware of this issue, and it is slated to be fixed in Jan 2016.
We saw that, the problem is, how did that even get past internal testing? much less TC