• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If you won the 900$ million lotto

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So, a "holla" is just a redneck word for valley? I actually thought it was a more specific term, like meadow or grove.
its not holla...like hey give me a holla ........its holler er..er errrr......say it with me now HOLLER =), and yes its a redneck term for a valley......but when we say valley there is usually a big grassy clearing in the holler.......

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So, a "holla" is just a redneck word for valley? I actually thought it was a more specific term, like meadow or grove.
You know, I always found the term "Redneck" sort of interesting, the meaning of it has changes do much over it's usage. In the 1890's it referred to poor rural farmers, by 1910 it was used to describe Unionized Coal miners from West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, not exactly Southern States since they all sided with the Union during the Civil War. Today it often brings up images based on Southern stereotypes.

Edit

Before I forget, I think the PC term for the dialect of American English would be "Southern Appalachian"

Last edited:

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You know, I always found the term "Redneck" sort of interesting, the meaning of it has changes do much over it's usage. In the 1890's it referred to poor rural farmers, by 1910 it was used to describe Unionized Coal miners from West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, not exactly Southern States since they all sided with the Union during the Civil War. Today it often brings up images based on Southern stereotypes.
well WV is the most northern ,southern state and the most southern northern state =) lol but yeah im not sure how the term redneck made it into southern culture either....i live close to Blair Mt. so i know all about its usage with WV coal miners...which i am a proud daughter of ...i like the term hillbilly myself to describe us.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
16-19-32-34-57 13

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol but yeah im not sure how the term redneck made it into southern culture either
I'm guessing "country" music.

its not holla...like hey give me a holla ........its holler er..er errrr......say it with me now HOLLER =), and yes its a redneck term for a valley......but when we say valley there is usually a big grassy clearing in the holler.......
And now you're telling me there is a difference between "holla" and "holler"? Aaagh.

(I should also say at this point that I am mostly messing with you. I grew up in a....let's call it quaint.....logging town just outside of Seattle. The Mason-Dixon line has a tendency to meander much farther north than you would think.)

Also, many of my friends would be horribly insulted to not be able to call themselves rednecks! They were born that way! Hillbilly would be just making it sound nice.

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

And now you're telling me there is a difference between "holla" and "holler"? Aaagh.

(I should also say at this point that I am mostly messing with you. I grew up in a....let's call it quaint.....logging town just outside of Seattle. The Mason-Dixon line has a tendency to meander much farther north than you would think.)

Also, many of my friends would be horribly insulted to not be able to call themselves rednecks! They were born that way! Hillbilly would be just making it sound nice.
im a proud redneck, dont get me wrong lol i just like hillbilly. its for the most part unique to the people of WV........hunny i was spoon feeding a wild possum bout a week ago im redneck as it gets lol

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the thought of buying uo crossed my mind for about 1/10 of a second. i nixed the idea. you guys are a tough bunch to deal with. i'm trying to de-stress my life.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

the exact name for "holler" is actually Hollow. so no, "Holla" is not one a Redneck would use to describe a valley

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im a hillbilly =) a holler here in southern WV is the place where the bottoms of the mountains meet....usually a dirt road running up along a creek that goes up one hillside or another connected to long grown up logging roads....lots and lots and lots of them here......this my friend is a holler ....ill show ya a pic of the holler i want....i spend most of my time there anyway........the road running top to bottom is the main highway.....the road running to the left is an old loggin road......that is a holler =) .u have low lands by the creek, grassy, scrub fields, old growth forest........enchanted place View attachment 41532 View attachment 41532 View attachment 41532 View attachment 41532
Yup, that is probably where the bulk of my money I would spend on myself would go, just buying interesting bits of wilderness to roam around in, and protect. Design some clean self-sustaining tiny homes to plop down in them, and I'd probably be good. I'd like to have a dozen or so such spots around the country that I could use as bases to travel from.

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Invest part of it into something that will allow you to profit off of that you can potentially pass down through your family tree and the other part throw in the bank and let it build interest

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am surprised there was no winner. It just goes to show how low the odds are when playing the lottery.

Not only that but the recent powerball jackpot fixing scandal makes it even more undesirable to play.

I still bought a ticket.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im a hillbilly =) a holler here in southern WV is the place where the bottoms of the mountains meet....usually a dirt road running up along a creek that goes up one hillside or another connected to long grown up logging roads....lots and lots and lots of them here......this my friend is a holler ....ill show ya a pic of the holler i want....i spend most of my time there anyway........the road running top to bottom is the main highway.....the road running to the left is an old loggin road......that is a holler =) .u have low lands by the creek, grassy, scrub fields, old growth forest........enchanted place View attachment 41532 View attachment 41532 View attachment 41532 View attachment 41532
I think I'd like a holler too :D

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She's certainly a ray of sunshine. Whoever she's made a home with has to love starting their day seeing her. :smooch:
once I find my decoder ring I will try to discern your second sentence....where did I put that Hillbilly to English translation dictionary???

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
once I find my decoder ring I will try to discern your second sentence....where did I put that Hillbilly to English translation dictionary???
"Whoever she's made a home with has to love starting their day seeing her."

Part of the treat of waking up each day next to the woman your married to, you roll over to face her pillow and open your eyes to the wonder of your life. :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Whoever she's made a home with has to love starting their day seeing her."

Part of the treat of waking up each day next to the woman your married to, you roll over to face her pillow and open your eyes to the wonder of your life. :)
Please tell us you arent standing in the bushes outside her house....looking in her windows??? lol

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please tell us you arent standing in the bushes outside her house....looking in her windows??? lol
Miss the words 'married to' did you? :p Reread the first quote above. :pie:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yes my relatives live in a holler (Kentucky). They also head somewhere "up the skull" for the head of the local little river.There's also the Temple area that was a major coal miner "temple" back in the day. If you head for Abner you need to know that's a mountain and not a dude. They also seem to like to refer to counties over actual cities in the county. You better know the names of all the creeks too. So if you don't know the culture you can't find anything ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yes my relatives live in a holler (Kentucky). They also head somewhere "up the skull" for the head of the local little river.There's also the Temple area that was a major coal miner "temple" back in the day. If you head for Abner you need to know that's a mountain and not a dude. They also seem to like to refer to counties over actual cities in the county. You better know the names of all the creeks too. So if you don't know the culture you can't find anything ;)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My Mom was from West Virginia. My Dad's father came from a mining town in Wales. Unfortunately, both Mom and Dad ended up in New York, which made me a Yankee by birth. I've been trying to become a Redneck ever since. Yeah, I'd like a "holler" of my own. But I rarely buy lotto tickets.

I think I envy you, Dixie. :grouphug:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Half the time I try that, she's gotten up early and the cat is laying there staring at me.......

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1.3 Billion....

You would have to spend: 26 Million a year for 50 years... That's over 70 thousand dollars a day for 50 years. That to me is so incredibly mind numbing. Imagine the people that someone could help.

*Acid Rain beat me to the video :)

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mean when I win...
don't think it didn't cross my mind...
(I already pay someone's salary....) Why not..... at least then I can get a damn GM when I need one.....

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1.3 Billion....

You would have to spend: 26 Million a year for 50 years... That's over 70 thousand dollars a day for 50 years. That to me is so incredibly mind numbing. Imagine the people that someone could help.

Why would you do that when you can invest it and live off the revenue and never touch the principle......just pass it on

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
1.3 Billion....

Cash option is $802 million (pre-tax). Depending on what state you're in, I doubt anyone will go home with more than $500 million. If you're New York (like me), you will only end up with about $400-$425 million.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anybody that wins this lotto and bought UO to try to save UO in their eyes its a waste of that money. Anybody think EA would sell it cheap? They are going to charge your soul for it because its EA.

The issue with UO is where to start and fix? You cant go back to the old days because most of the player base is happy with the game where it is at this time. So time period, state of the game with true subscriptions, what types of servers. kill servers with no or little population, have to advertise and justify a subscription, ect ect. Then you would still need a dev team and pay all their salaries and all the other costs that come with it. Then still hope you make money back after the initial buyout and hope players don't quit or die. I have seen those stories on television that showed how some lottery winners were broke in a few years because they squandered their money. It be the same story if you bought UO. The lottery isn't going to fix UO. The game needs a population surge and and a healthy community.

There is so much good you can do with that money and still live a very comfortable life. Invest in your local community , create jobs, open up a business, donate to charities, just do good with it.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is so much good you can do with that money and still live a very comfortable life. Invest in your local community , create jobs, open up a business, donate to charities, just do good with it.
I agree with what you're saying, but have to point out that if you took some of the potential winnings, you could create a small development house. In that way you would be opening a business, investing in your community, and creating jobs, while doing something you would hopefully enjoy. You could also still donate to charities.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with what you're saying, but have to point out that if you took some of the potential winnings, you could create a small development house. In that way you would be opening a business, investing in your community, and creating jobs, while doing something you would hopefully enjoy. You could also still donate to charities.

I understand what you are saying and you make a very good point. It's just so much easier to just start a new business (not a MMO) instead of buying a MMO which would be way over priced and dealing with headaches over past mistakes for 18 years. Even if you created a UO office with a dev team of 20 people or make a business that would that is not UO and be able to create 50 or more jobs which would be more beneficial to a local community. Running a MMO isn't cheap even an existing one is going to cost you.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand what you are saying and you make a very good point. It's just so much easier to just start a new business (not a MMO) instead of buying a MMO which would be way over priced and dealing with headaches over past mistakes for 18 years. Even if you created a UO office with a dev team of 20 people or make a business that would that is not UO and be able to create 50 or more jobs which would be more beneficial to a local community. Running a MMO isn't cheap even an existing one is going to cost you.
Paraphrasing the quote from earlier in the thread - Best way to make a small fortune with UO is to start with a large fortune.

Knowing that, with $400 million available, I might put a small amount toward UO anyway. Just to see if swaying EA could be done. Probably end up as just another faceless stockholder.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jokes aside and staying on topic,

Rich sold UO for $30 mil in '92. Taking UO's current est. of subs, staff, development, & future earning potential, a current rough market value for UO would
probably be considerably less then many have suggested. Not to say that amount would be small by any measure, but considerably less then most suggest.

I would never win the lotto as I do not gamble (that's established gambling not including philosophies such as "life is a gamble", etc,...).

Hypothetically if I were to win, I would do as I always have in life with any windfall I consider a blessing.
50/50 - 50% would be given to various charities while I retained 50%. Half for myself being as I did win and
half for charities in humble gratitude for the higher power that made it so.

Of my 50%, I would pay off all bank loans, mortgages, bills for my family & loved ones, and be certain all had good medical healthcare plans.
I would establish college funds for my niece & nephew. I would pay for a cruise/trip/vacation for all family and loved ones(friends) to spend
time together and be thankful for all of our blessings.

I consider myself extremely low maintenance and the amount left over would be more then sufficient to enjoy my life to the fullest. :)
True happiness is a state of mind not measured by your bank balance. :)