• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

time for some un-nerfs?

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was reading one of the template threads (specifically on swords - ds with onslaught)
and it got me to thinking:

the beauty of UO is the wonderful variety of combinations that can be used to keep
things fresh (especially on rng gear grinds that require numerous hours)

in the past, skills such as provocation were incredibly powerful and had to be nerfed.
but now, a skilled sampire can clear entire champ spawns in under 20 mins.

is it time to un-nerf some skills/templates for pvm, so that they become viable
options once more?

(while i clearly am thinking about the bard class, i would think that other templates
/skills were potent as well)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
i was reading one of the template threads (specifically on swords - ds with onslaught)
and it got me to thinking:

the beauty of UO is the wonderful variety of combinations that can be used to keep
things fresh (especially on rng gear grinds that require numerous hours)

in the past, skills such as provocation were incredibly powerful and had to be nerfed.

is it time to un-nerf some skills/templates for pvm, so that they become viable
options once more?

(while i clearly am thinking about the bard class, i would think that other templates
/skills were potent as well)
If anything Samps will probably get nerfed lol. It's easier to nerf them than try and raise everyone else up to their level. Balance is hard lol. But if people keep talking about how awesome samps are it'll get Broadswords attention sooner or later.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know ...with the masteries I think bards are pretty epic already. With some Mana regen on your suit you and your party can be virtually unkillable in most PVM situations.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can clear despise spawn start to finish solo in 12 minutes with my necro. Samps are better for the champ but necro is still temp of choice for me for the levels.

I dont know ...with the masteries I think bards are pretty epic already. With some Mana regen on your suit you and your party can be virtually unkillable in most PVM situations.
Double the provo masteries with a 6SW circle and it's pure god mode for a brief period even in pvp. The discord masteries are no joke either with their damage output. I think it's very nice considering the amount of skill points put into the template though.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can clear despise spawn start to finish solo in 12 minutes with my necro. Samps are better for the champ but necro is still temp of choice for me for the levels.
Which shard, and when will you be doing this next ? As someone who has also necro'd many despise, I would love to watch and see this 12 minute pop to drop. Not doubting you, just wanna see it.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key word there being party. I enjoy playing my bard from time to time, but they are really great as part of the team. Using the Masteries to keep guild mates alive as well as cross healing and peace/provo/discoing the mobs during a fight.

I am curious what the OP had in mind though.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Whats the problem with changing vamp form to do something different or requiring 120 spirit speak to get the full 20% hit leech?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's un-nerf the thief class.

• Let there be stealing from players in Trammel (it's not like you can't use insurance).
  • Let containers be stolen again.
  • Put perma-grey back in.
  • Create Masteries for thieves (not crate stuff).

...la

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

• Let there be stealing from players in Trammel (it's not like you can't use insurance).

...la
No

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

...la
Mastery spell for Thieving

Pimpness - your always in style, with increased stylishness per level.
level one - Shoes are always shined
level two suit is always pressed
level three - the feather in your hat never separates, and your clothes change to the newest style/color automatically

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm okay with un-nerfing camping, taste id, item id, forensic eval, and herding.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all for un-nerfing Bard, I'd even like to see Bards in PvP again. FOR THE LOVE OF THE VIRTUES Un-nerf stealing! They've been doing this : :twak: :bdh: to theives since 2003. Theives have been nerfed so much I keep waiting for them to be renamed Eunuchs!

Also I'd love see control slots go buh-bye; like that's ever gonna happen but I can dream!

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was not trying to say that there are not a few other templates that do very well; only that some things were nerfed so that they stayed balanced relative to other skills/gear at that time. With the explosion of legendary gear, the reason for the past nerf no longer applies.

The key word there being party. I enjoy playing my bard from time to time, but they are really great as part of the team. Using the Masteries to keep guild mates alive as well as cross healing and peace/provo/discoing the mobs during a fight.

I am curious what the OP had in mind though.
A while back there was a video of a bard mage that solo'd dark fathers in doom. This video was from a long time back, before whatever publish put in the skill timer and the dark fathers could themselves
be provo'd to fight each other (after both were discorded). The player then was able to cast spells and provo the summoned undead without skill delay on to the dark fathers until both were dead.

My suggestion for un-nerfing bard skills would be to remove the skill timer from them; it does not make sense to me to only be able to use provo/disco/peace once every 8 seconds if a different template can clear the entire screen in 2 seconds.

...la
I, too, would very much like to see a resurrection of the thief, although my opinion differs on what that would entail. I only play production shards, and with the game being based on gear, I do not think it would make sense to bring back pvp thieving as it existed. I think they had the correct concept with stealing from monsters and wrong dungeon revamp, they just didn't take it far enough.

I would like to see :
- the ability to have a very slight chance to steal rare artifacts from bosses (the same probability as getting the drop)
- a thieves' jail that the thief is teleported to, if they get caught (there would have to be a way to escape the jail)
- a thief mastery that allows the thief to have a chance to stay hidden on a stealing attempt (longer delay timer before a second attempt can be made)
- a thief mastery that allows the thief to steal while equipped with a one-handed item
- a passive thief mastery that lets them steal items of greater weight

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all for un-nerfing Bard, I'd even like to see Bards in PvP again. F

Also I'd love see control slots go buh-bye; like that's ever gonna happen but I can dream!
Ya cause watching some noob walking around with 20 grt dragons wouldnt unbalance gameplay at all????

Like really??? did you really say this???

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya cause watching some noob walking around with 20 grt dragons wouldnt unbalance gameplay at all????

Like really??? did you really say this???
keep them in for pvp, but remove it in pvm? Not sure how that could be done, but I think it'd be possible. Plus I think it'd be funny to take that many greater dragons into Shadowguard and just say "All kill" for eveything but Anon.