• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When you are wrong, admit your wrong.....and I AM SOOO WRONG

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found out that now you click the Sudiva statue to get there. I love ya, Norrie!!!

I'm posting pictures in my next post of the memorial of the event.

Last edited:

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a note: I wrote the below in response to a complaint by the OP that has completely been rewritten lol. Leaving it up though because I don't think I've ever gotten it off my chest before.

I don't think anything should be deleted carte blanche or unilaterally, but one of my small complaints about UO is the way that ephemera surrounding events piles up around the land; books in bars, NPCs shouting in present-tense about long-passed events, etc. I'm not totally disagreeing, so hear me out. I find books locked down on tables all around the land's towns, and while I do take the time to read them, they're usually just ghostly snippets of long-past events (edit: as in, mysterious clues usually, which don't make very good records of events). What I don't like is how any major physical acknowledgment of events usually seems to roll up and disappear after the story's over, except for that ephemera.

I do think EMs should be required to clean up after themselves. But I also think (or at least wish) that part of their job could be to help create content that acknowledges that "something happened here." Small books that appear on NPC bookshelves, for instance, chronicling the story arcs that happened on their shard. (We've been finding the same crusty tomes on the land's bookshelves for eighteen years.) Or statues with readable plaques, memorializing battles that happened against various threats throughout time. Maybe your beach should have stayed. In a sandbox, the landscape is supposed to change over time, not only to reflect the present, but to reflect the past. I can't go so far as to say I'm sickened by it--too many other things to worry about honestly--but I do feel there could be some improvement.

Last edited:

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way, I don't know if your title change is in response to my post, but I don't think you're "wrong" to have a spot that you like. That memorial is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see more of, so yes, it's a shame that they quietly closed it off while leaving my post's examples littering the land. That leaves one big question mark over my head.

Edit: See the OP, click the Sudiva statue.

Last edited:

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way, I don't know if your title change is in response to my post, but I don't think you're "wrong" to have a spot that you like. That memorial is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see more of, so yes, it's a shame that they quietly closed it off while leaving my post's examples littering the land. That leaves one big question mark over my head.
No sweetie, I thought It'd been deleted. Its still there thank the virtues! That book is so special, the list of names of participants none of those play anymore. Quite a few friends in that list. All of them quit except one, Ghost Rider.
Ghost Rider was an alternate character for Lady Phoenix who passed away.

For me reading the names brings back fond memories of how Legends used to be, of old friends, of old rivals and good times. I read and I remember.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that finally clicked a minute ago and I facepalmed at myself. Even more so because I actually knew that about Ilshenar at some point, but then forgot. :wall:

Glad you can still visit there.

I see an "Ira Noobicus" is also memorialized forever lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah that finally clicked a minute ago and I facepalmed at myself. Even more so because I actually knew that about Ilshenar at some point, but then forgot. :wall:

Glad you can still visit there.

I see an "Ira Noobicus" is also memorialized forever lol.
To me things that happen on a shard and leave an impact like that ought to remain... It's part of the history of the shard. There are dozens of places on many shards that are unique and loved. Watching the Museum in Magincia get destroyed broke my heart... and I know I was not alone. Fortunately Lady Silverbrook took the time to beg and plead with Mesanna to save the Museum and all it's contents and history was moved to Nu'Jelm... which sadly makes little sense but at least it was safe from destruction. Few folk visit it now or even know it exists there. Save those of us who still remember. And it is IMO my "duty" to keep those memories and to show the new folk interested in the history of the shard such places. To pass the knowledge down from one keeper to another. It's part of the history of the shard I love... and it's part of what keeps me on GL and makes me never want to leave it.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@Hannes Erich Personally, I'm glad to see those statues. You see, they didn't exist until only a few months ago, though they were promised several years ago. Most shards therefore had no way to access lenmir antifolas. It took many requests from myself and others before the devs added those statues, to satisfy the promise of all shards having access that had been made long ago.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Yes the EM's should clean up after themselves. Take Baja for example...generations of EM's have left various bits behind over the years and any random place you go is likely to have some NPC's sharted upon trousers, left over ratmen npcs and jesters standing around in random dungeons for no reason, irrelevant clue books, William Shatner's old toupee, and other visual clutter. We should have a contest to see who can find the weirdest EM left over. To quote Indiana Jones "it belongs in a museum!" ;) Of course there is always some role-player who would feel heartbroken if you removed said sharted upon trousers...because it is a landmark to them.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. And @brianfreud, I just want to make sure you know we're on the same page about the statues and things like that. That's what I'm saying. Whether it's statues or other kinds of memorials, something like the collectible hour glasses, or (PLEASE!) a new selection of books spawning on NPC bookshelves to document history since 1997 (what Britannian year was that? I used to know).

What I'm not so nuts about is Cymidei's examples, and miners in Minoc freaking out about about a long-solved hostage situation. Maybe asking for books and memorials and stuff is asking for the moon, that part I would understand. But, assuming the devs/EMs have a special client they use to place items and NPCs on the fly, I don't feel like I'm asking for the moon by suggesting some maintenance.

If it came down to, "You want us to clean it up? Fine we won't put it there in the first place." Then I would vote to keep the leftovers from all the arcs. I'm not sure how understanding @Mesanna is of fan boy concerns like this, but I wouldn't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. I know they have a small team and are busy.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'd be happy leaving most everything - every time a "cleanup" happens, a lot of stuff gets deleted that should have been left... we've lost way too many seer locations that way. If they could just get rid of the clocks and fish and such in Luna, and give us a way to report floating paintings and such left from IDOCs, I'd be happy.