• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necromancy mastery Command Undead needs some help.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
1) Certain undead tend to flag on me randomly while tamed. I thought it was because they were hitting me with wither, but I have this issue with standard liches and they don't typically use that spell. Nor did it seem to be going off as it flagged. I tamed two and only one seemed to have the issue.

2) The liches near the gold elementals in the Blackthorn dungeon don't seem to count as undead for purposes of this spell. In itself this isn't a big deal, but I wonder where else this issue may crop up.

3) This isn't really an issue, I just want to suggest you let me use this ability on the red-named undead created by the Animate Dead spell. That would let me make them controllable and free up room to animate more. Plus then I'd be able to make at least some kind of crappy minion anywhere rather than running all the way to Timbuktu to tame something.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Liches in Castle Blackthorn aren't Commandable probably because any creature in Castle Blackthorn has the chance to spawn with 5x Health, with no Resists.
The best undead to command, is a Skeletal Dragon.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not to hijack your thread but to add to it, Exorcism doesn't do anything. I've tried it in champ spawns and it doesn't boot them to the chaos shrine.

This should be revamped into a ressurection spell or something useful.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1) Certain undead tend to flag on me randomly while tamed. I thought it was because they were hitting me with wither, but I have this issue with standard liches and they don't typically use that spell. Nor did it seem to be going off as it flagged. I tamed two and only one seemed to have the issue.

2) The liches near the gold elementals in the Blackthorn dungeon don't seem to count as undead for purposes of this spell. In itself this isn't a big deal, but I wonder where else this issue may crop up.

3) This isn't really an issue, I just want to suggest you let me use this ability on the red-named undead created by the Animate Dead spell. That would let me make them controllable and free up room to animate more. Plus then I'd be able to make at least some kind of crappy minion anywhere rather than running all the way to Timbuktu to tame something.
I've just reported this as a bug, I love the command undead feature but quite frankly the target switching is infuriating and puts me off ever using it. I'm 99.9% sure it is the Wither spell that causes it, even by Liches. When they cast it, they flag on you (if guilded, you better run or command them to stop sharpish!), any other pets, other friendlies nearby, friendly pets, pretty much anything that moves they will flag to.

If this was intended, whoever came up with it needs a slap!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just reported this as a bug, I love the command undead feature but quite frankly the target switching is infuriating and puts me off ever using it. I'm 99.9% sure it is the Wither spell that causes it, even by Liches. When they cast it, they flag on you (if guilded, you better run or command them to stop sharpish!), any other pets, other friendlies nearby, friendly pets, pretty much anything that moves they will flag to.

Yeah, it is the wither. Back when you could allure Meer, the Meer Captains would have this same problem using the holy light spell and Meer Eternals were even worse using their leach ability which would cause them to destroy themselves and cost the weaver a big karma loss. The safest undead to use are rotting corpses and revenant lions. They don't do these area attacks.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, it is the wither. Back when you could allure Meer, the Meer Captains would have this same problem using the holy light spell and Meer Eternals were even worse using their leach ability which would cause them to destroy themselves and cost the weaver a big karma loss. The safest undead to use are rotting corpses and revenant lions. They don't do these area attacks.
But it's the area attacks that make them desirable... But doesn't surprise me.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It's actually a very old problem with pet AI when using AoE spells, which dates back 18 years. When White Wyrms came out back in 1998, they were able to cast the 7th level AoE spell, Mass Curse. This caused a problem however, because the WW would cast Mass Curse on the target he was fighting (which was most often in melee range), and the AoE would also hit any blues/guildies within 3 tiles of that target (potentially causing him to go Criminal), causing the WW to switch to them. You could be standing 1 tile directly behind your WW, vetting him, and he'd cast Mass Curse on the target 1 tile in front of him, which would also hit you with Mass Curse, and the WW would turn around and chomp you dead.
When Tram came out in 2000, the WW couldn't hit blues with Mass Curse in Tram, but he could hit guildies with it, which is why you wanted to be unguilded if you hunted with a WW, so he wouldn't chomp you. A lot of Tamers avoided using WWs for quite awhile because of that, until the devs removed their ability to cast Mass Curse.

Like said earlier, Charmed Meer Captains and Meer Eternals also used to suffer from this bug with Holy Light/Spirit Lash. Commanded Undead with Necromancy now suffer from it as well. Wither and Poison Strike will cause them to hit any nearby blues/guildies, and target them.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I controlled a rotting corpse last night in Doom and those rock... Until my stealth failed and I died lol

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Also, I would love it if charmed creatures of this nature counted as being bonded so that non-mages could make practical use of them. My sampy would go literally nowhere without a pair of rotting corpses in tow, but I can't exactly put magery on him just to gate them around.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I always wished you could feed, stable and bond them.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But it's the area attacks that make them desirable... But doesn't surprise me.
I've never seen their wither damages foes, only damage other players and pets or myself. It's like if a lich casts a wither at a champ spawn, it doesn't damage the other monsters. The same seems to hold for allures and undead charms.