• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What packs do I buy to come back?

Vrado

Visitor
Hello all! I last played actively on Lake Superior and Napa about 2000-2002+ and I've only been back once for a month in 2014 but I think that was before the Broadsword split came about. I've been feeling the familiar itch recently and private shards didn't do it for me this time so after some wrangling I managed to log back into my UO acct management page today. My old account created in May 2000 still exists(!) with the last expansion 'installed' being Lord Blackthorns.

Now what do I buy exactly to come back into the game? Do I get Times of Legends for $24.90 on the Origin store and then pay $12.99 via my account management page for 1 month game time? Or do I have to get TOL, High Seas, Stygian Abyss and also game time to get back in?

If I forgo all expansions and just pay for the 1 month game time would most of the active world be blocked off to me or even playable?

And for anyone reading who's still on LS/Napa, how's the population on the shards like these days??

Thank you all in advance for the help, cheers

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when I returned 18 months ago from an 8 year vacation I just bought SA,.. then new friends on Cats convinced me to upgrade to High Seas, but it definitely isnt required. I would say everyone here got TOL for free last year, so we arent the best to ask. Sorry this isnt more help. If you end up on Catskills look me up I will help ya get back on your feet.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For an optimal UO gaming experience right now, SA is the only one I would say is mandatory. You get a new race in Gargoyles. New skills in throwing, Mysticism and Imbuing. Very big land in Ter Mur, One of the best dungeons in The Stygian Abyss which is full of mini renowned spawns, 2 Champ Spawns with good drops, the most profitable boss in Medusa plus the Stygian Dragon and Slasher.

High Seas is completely optional unless you REALLY like fishing. The new boats are unnecessary, Corgul is forgettable, Charybdis is a joke and you don't even need the pack for Scalis.

Time Of Legends is still fresh but its more aimed for end game content. The masteries can wait, you'll need a group + good gear to properly do Shadowguard and Dragon Turtle can be completely skipped. Eodon as a land is honestly pretty barren and at this stage so far kind of pointless (But with the hope that it will be fleshed out and be a focal point of new content in the foreseeable future)

So my recommendation is:
Required: Stygian Abyss (Make sure you buy the upgrade and not the new account code)
For the Future: Time Of Legends
Optional: High Seas

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stygian Abyss is all you really need as stated already.

As for shards Atlantic is busy so check that out.

You might sign in to LS / Napa and think the game has died! There is lots of PvP on LS if that's your thing though.

Welcome back!

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally id say just return without buying any packs first.
Play UO for a while and see if you can get bitten by the bug again.
I know for some that returned its was no good and they quit as its now nothing like what they remembered and they didn't want to lose those memories of happier times.
If you do buy all the packs then it's an expensive install if you then decide you don't want to stay.

Vrado

Visitor
Cheers guys really helpful responses! I think I'll just buy 1 month of game time and check out the game in its current state before buying SA as you guys have suggested.

And no hardcore PVP isn't really my thing, I was always more into the crafting / player vendoring side of things haha. Will give Atlantic a look if my old chars on LS/Napa don't have much left on them

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Personally id say just return without buying any packs first.
Play UO for a while and see if you can get bitten by the bug again.
I know for some that returned its was no good and they quit as its now nothing like what they remembered and they didn't want to lose those memories of happier times.
If you do buy all the packs then it's an expensive install if you then decide you don't want to stay.
^This

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To all those who say that the High Seas is optional.... If this is the case then when you are with a group and they want to go do something like Corgul.... You miss out.... If you are with a group and they go to do some spawn somewhere and they all pile on one of the new boats..... you best have your own in your pocket so you can attempt to follow them.... (good luck with that)... If you and your friends are hunting something you can't join them if they get on a new boat.

Just saying. While it is "optional".... you do miss several things.

Consider this as well.... with high seas you can have a boat that not only boosts your fishing skill but also is FASTER... requires NO KEY... and allows you to set access to it easily... getting on and off you don't have to run out the plank first. The ships are much less picky about getting on and off the ship.

Personally I like High Seas..... Also consider that if you go by old boat in Fel..... you can get attacked by Pirates on the sea and you can't do anything about it.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To all those who say that the High Seas is optional.... If this is the case then when you are with a group and they want to go do something like Corgul.... You miss out.... If you are with a group and they go to do some spawn somewhere and they all pile on one of the new boats..... you best have your own in your pocket so you can attempt to follow them.... (good luck with that)... If you and your friends are hunting something you can't join them if they get on a new boat.
What are you hunting that everyone decides to pile onto a boat for?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess the annoying thing is so many items, crafting skills, etc, are tied to being required to have specific expansions. But you can certainly get back into the swing of things without them, Expansions with all those lovely storage adds for the house are nice though.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As someone that just came back a couple of months ago, and like the OP enjoys crafting more than killing, I'll just say the following.

It is quite irritating to see all of the newer craftables and not be able to craft them because you are lacking an expansion. I still need to buy the King's and rustic theme packs. I'm not sure if I need to buy the High Seas expansion, but since I actually do enjoy fishing, I'll be buying that as well.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With some of the non-essential expansions and addon packs (gothic etc) I just waited until they were on sale at Origin.com before and got the whole lot. They sometimes have 40-50% off these so grab them then.

The last couple of sales have had zero UO items included which kind of sucks.

I can't wait for the in game store Mesanna keeps teasing about. I also can't wait for the new account management that we were told was coming in May....!

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
High Seas is completely optional unless you REALLY like fishing. The new boats are unnecessary, Corgul is forgettable, Charybdis is a joke and you don't even need the pack for Scalis.

So my recommendation is:
Required: Stygian Abyss (Make sure you buy the upgrade and not the new account code)
For the Future: Time Of Legends
Optional: High Seas
I bought High Seas just to use the Coral Brace which is one of the most underrated items in the game.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bought High Seas just to use the Coral Brace which is one of the most underrated items in the game.
Ha, I'd use it in a few suits if it were able to have PoF applied to it... there's always next publish for hopes though.

Btw, Welcome back to UO.
I would say SA & High Seas are worth, if you're enjoying it enough after that then ToL would probably be worth it as well.

There was a somewhat recent interview with the Devs talking about upcoming additions/changes, I believe they mentioned adding new content into the Eodon lands (which is the new land available in the ToL expansion).

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The only one you really need is Stygian Abyss due to imbuing. The others are nice to have, but can wait till you decide you will stick around.
You won't bee missing much without them.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
about the only thing high seas is truly needed for is corgul's sash

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
i'm VERY frugal. IMO - don't buy anything but the subscription. See if you like it. You can then enhance your playing experience with Stygian Abyss and other expansion packs.

Vrado

Visitor
You guys and gals have all been extremely helpful! I will most likely start off with getting all the packs if I'm still playing by the end of my 1 month sub provided they're on sale...

Anyhow I resubbed and logged back in to take stock of what I have.. basically I totally forgot about 3 other chars I had on Lake Austin besides LS and Napa so it turns out I have about 10 characters split between 3 shards! My bank balance on LS is the poorest at 30.5k gold which I'm assuming isn't much these days? I have more on Lake Austin though but I suppose the population there isn't the best.

Chances are I'll be transferring some characters around. Next question- I can transfer all the money I have on 1 shard as long as I transfer just one character correct? I took a look at the Origin char transfer token description and the Money page on UO and from what I figure all I have to do is to put all my money into the char transfer account.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Next question- I can transfer all the money I have on 1 shard as long as I transfer just one character correct? I took a look at the Origin char transfer token description and the Money page on UO and from what I figure all I have to do is to put all my money into the char transfer account.
Money – Ultima Online

New Ways to Interact with Currency
  • Character Transfer Account – any currency that a player wishes to transfer to another shard must be placed in the Character Transfer Account
And a little more info about ToL

Publish 90 – Ultima Online
Publish 90 Part 1 Time of legends – Ultima Online

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This is really the only pack you need to play uo

Only if you want to play Prodo shards, on Siege Perilous, you only need a handbag

Vrado

Visitor
Money – Ultima Online

New Ways to Interact with Currency
  • Character Transfer Account – any currency that a player wishes to transfer to another shard must be placed in the Character Transfer Account
And a little more info about ToL

Publish 90 – Ultima Online
Publish 90 Part 1 Time of legends – Ultima Online
Thanks for the links Freja! I missed the hypothetical example account explanation at the bottom of the Money page which gives me a clearer idea of what to do to transfer my money.

I realise many things are in the millions (or billions) in the trade forums so I'm assuming having 1 million isn't really much to get started on?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First - don't be fooled by the 'billions' price tags - you can play perfectly fine without that stuff. I do.
second - make your own mind up about expansions. What people seem to be forgetting is a lot of people bought high seas just for the storage increase that came with it.
Do get Stygian Abyss, do train up an imbuer. With simple imbued kit you can take on most mobs unless your ambition is to solo everything in game.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Depending what you might have in any of your banks, you might have some old stuff that could be turned into some decent gold as well - don't just trash stuff that used to be "common". :)

As for transfers, if all you're moving is gold and a few items, ask around; you may be able to find a ride for free. You'll do far better using that $ for SA than a transfer token.

Side note, this is why we REALLY need to have a simple all-in-one upgrade in the store; it's really getting kind of silly and pricy to get back into the game. It definitely is a turn off towards getting any vets to come back...

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Cheers guys really helpful responses! I think I'll just buy 1 month of game time and check out the game in its current state before buying SA as you guys have suggested.

And no hardcore PVP isn't really my thing, I was always more into the crafting / player vendoring side of things haha. Will give Atlantic a look if my old chars on LS/Napa don't have much left on them
If you come to Atlantic, hit me up and I will help get you setup and going

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

Just saying. While it is "optional".... you do miss several things.

Consider this as well.... with high seas you can have a boat that not only boosts your fishing skill but also is FASTER... requires NO KEY... and allows you to set access to it easily... getting on and off you don't have to run out the plank first. The ships are much less picky about getting on and off the ship.

Personally I like High Seas..... Also consider that if you go by old boat in Fel..... you can get attacked by Pirates on the sea and you can't do anything about it.
I would love to see pirates attack someone on one of the old ships Iol.

I reactivated (after 10yrs away) at the beginning of November and bought Stygian Abyss and Time of Legends....only to find out everyone had received TOL for free :mad:

After a month of being back and remembering how much I enjoy it, I proceeded to buy every pack on the origin store (besides the garden beds, keke). Maybe start out with stygian and if you are still enjoying it after a few weeks, buy ToL.

UO is Love :heart:

-The Franchise

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would love to see pirates attack someone on one of the old ships Iol.

They do on Siege but it's not npc pirates :p, I'm sure they do in Fel too

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The only one you really need is Stygian Abyss due to imbuing. The others are nice to have, but can wait till you decide you will stick around.
You won't bee missing much without them.
To me imbuing is the most worthless thing in the game. People take items I'd be interested in then screw them up by making them unable to use POF on. :)

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To me imbuing is the most worthless thing in the game. People take items I'd be interested in then screw them up by making them unable to use POF on. :)
So is it possible to get through the game without imbuing? I started trying it out for the first time last night, and I hate it. LOL

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So is it possible to get through the game without imbuing? I started trying it out for the first time last night, and I hate it. LOL
Horses for courses I guess - I love it. I hated the unpredictability of runic crafting, same goes for re-forging. Imbuing you know exactly what you're getting. I don't imbue for other people though, just for my own characters. Then I don't get anyone expecting me to be able to squeeze more onto an item than the process allows.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off...
Welcome home ...
We missed you.

Now as for game expac's
SA is a good one to get, it will make you nearly up on most.
If you have an unlimited budget...I would get the high seas set. the space and fishing is very good if your into crafting and fishing.
ToL well most of the newest additions and hunting is in the new lands so this one is a good bet to get.
But if budget is a concern... the best bet is SA.
You need to catch up on the times and this will give you a chance to learn ad not cost you an arm and leg.
you can always add on as you go...
Petra is very correct you can live quite well with just SA.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest you lack understanding of the benefits that imbuing provides. Or you have restricted your view of the imbuing skill to strickly adding a property to an already excellent item. If that is all you do with your imbuing skill then perhaps you need to expand your experience.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Absolutely. I use nothing imbued. It's something that will wear out and break. I build templates around items and I certainly don't need that hassle of trying to replace a critical piece. Cause when you don't need something they're everywhere and when your in a pinch you'll never find it lol. Plus why bother with something that's just gonna wear out? The very few pieces I have are on characters that I really don't play and don't matter to me. Just so they can go out and chop wood or whatever.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I would suggest you lack understanding of the benefits that imbuing provides. Or you have restricted your view of the imbuing skill to strickly adding a property to an already excellent item. If that is all you do with your imbuing skill then perhaps you need to expand your experience.
I fully understand imbuing. It's where you take a decent item and make it so it will break and wear out. Super. I'll pass. I have awesome suits that use zip imbuing. Makes no sense to me why anyone wants that junk. For a very temporary situation, and the item is dirt cheap, maybe. I have awesome suits that won't be trash in a few weeks or months. I don't see any point in imbuing. If it's imbued I don't even consider it. I'm not building characters around items I have to continually replace. My stuff takes a beating I burn through armor and weapons. I'd never consider any item I can't POF. Crafters can make money from me, sell POF ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Absolutely. I use nothing imbued. It's something that will wear out and break.
Not a problem, PoF it up and just make a new suit or weapon when it break. Imbuing make life much easier for me, I don't have to sort 1000 pieces to get a few that fit together. I just need to get the resources needed.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Not a problem, PoF it up and just make a new suit or weapon when it break. Imbuing make life much easier for me, I don't have to sort 1000 pieces to get a few that fit together. I just need to get the resources needed.
You love it, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. We both get what we want. It's a great game ;)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fully understand imbuing. It's where you take a decent item and make it so it will break and wear out. Super. I'll pass. I have awesome suits that use zip imbuing. Makes no sense to me why anyone wants that junk. For a very temporary situation, and the item is dirt cheap, maybe. I have awesome suits that won't be trash in a few weeks or months. I don't see any point in imbuing. If it's imbued I don't even consider it. I'm not building characters around items I have to continually replace. My stuff takes a beating I burn through armor and weapons. I'd never consider any item I can't POF. Crafters can make money from me, sell POF ;)
Respectfully, I believe you think you know all about imbuing but really dont have a clue. I have used the same items on my sampires( which by definition become worn the fastest) for 2 years without replacing and archers, and mages and tamers. I can make an uber weapon (exactly how you want it) in 2 mins. You dont have to make things brittle, you dont have to break a single item! You can powder items up over and over in certain circumstances. You have either been misinformed, or havent bothered to find the truth. But what you are saying is just wrong....period and is a disservice to returning players.

If anything it is the best thing a returning player can do. because they can instantly make themselves leet armor and weapons that allow them to compete and farm and get themselves back on a level playing field. I cant count the number of times I have heard a returning player ask for help, and in a few minutes I can outfit them with a made to order weapon or jewelry...and send them out to have fun.

Capt perhaps it isnt for you....but obviously you are in the minority, and if you would take your blinders off you might find it of value.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand the idea behind imbuing. And as a crafter, you would think I would be all over it. But after just a few minutes working the skill up, I decided that I loathe it, for two main reasons.

1) If an item can't be brought back with PoF indefinitely, I don't find it a very worthwhile item.

2) I have a very difficult time figuring out what is a good item and what isn't. I'm now afraid to unravel any item out of fear that I may have just messed up a great item.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand the idea behind imbuing. And as a crafter, you would think I would be all over it. But after just a few minutes working the skill up, I decided that I loathe it, for two main reasons.

1) If an item can't be brought back with PoF indefinitely, I don't find it a very worthwhile item.

2) I have a very difficult time figuring out what is a good item and what isn't. I'm now afraid to unravel any item out of fear that I may have just messed up a great item.
your first reason is totally wrong and only applies in certain circumstances. your second reason I would suggest that you are safe unraveling anything that isnt legendary ( and often many legendary pieces). For legendary wait and ask a friend to help you go through them until you are more familiar.

Dont get me wrong training imbuing sucks....I hated it and refused to do it. I used the 0-120 imbuing in under 1 min method. and then started helping people by making stuff and learning. For me it is an essential skill for any serious crafter.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Respectfully, I believe you think you know all about imbuing but really dont have a clue. I have used the same items on my sampires( which by definition become worn the fastest) for 2 years without replacing and archers, and mages and tamers. I can make an uber weapon (exactly how you want it) in 2 mins. You dont have to make things brittle, you dont have to break a single item! You can powder items up over and over in certain circumstances. You have either been misinformed, or havent bothered to find the truth. But what you are saying is just wrong....period and is a disservice to returning players.

If anything it is the best thing a returning player can do. because they can instantly make themselves leet armor and weapons that allow them to compete and farm and get themselves back on a level playing field. I cant count the number of times I have heard a returning player ask for help, and in a few minutes I can outfit them with a made to order weapon or jewelry...and send them out to have fun.

Capt perhaps it isnt for you....but obviously you are in the minority, and if you would take your blinders off you might find it of value.
I highly doubt I'm in the minority. But like you say it might be ok as a temporary fit for a new player. I don't use worthless junk that wears out. Period. If your ok with that it's up to you. I have 2 legendary imbuers btw. I'm certainly not blind or confused lol. I burn through that stuff (any armor in general), I know people try and make money off this stuff and you probably have a vested interest. Hey that's fine. But peddle it somewhere else lol. Sure it's a "cheap" alternative (although people tend to want the price of *real* armor and weapons outta them) for a new player to kinda get them up to speed, but for anyone that's has any time into the game and has more than 2 nickles to rub together it's nonsense. The thing that makes me laugh is people wanting millions for that junk. If 5K, what the heck. But I'd never put any serious coin into it. It's very simple. I'm not hurting for gold. Why would I buy something that will break and ruin my template when I can buy better? Makes zero sense to me. I see someone decked out in imbued stuff I figure they're broke, lol.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I highly doubt I'm in the minority. But like you say it might be ok as a temporary fit for a new player. I don't use worthless junk that wears out. Period. If your ok with that it's up to you. I have 2 legendary imbuers btw. I'm certainly not blind or confused lol. I burn through that stuff (any armor in general), I know people try and make money off this stuff and you probably have a vested interest. Hey that's fine. But peddle it somewhere else lol. Sure it's a "cheap" alternative (although people tend to want the price of *real* armor and weapons outta them) for a new player to kinda get them up to speed, but for anyone that's has any time into the game and has more than 2 nickles to rub together it's nonsense. The thing that makes me laugh is people wanting millions for that junk. If 5K, what the heck. But I'd never put any serious coin into it. It's very simple. I'm not hurting for gold. Why would I buy something that will break and ruin my template when I can buy better? Makes zero sense to me. I see someone decked out in imbued stuff I figure they're broke, lol.
Dont peddle a single thing....my vendors hold gold only. I have never sold anything I make ..simply give it away and it is highly sought after. And again you dont have to make things that will break or that cant be repeatedly PoFed. Someone with 2 legendary imbuers should know that.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Dont peddle a single thing....my vendors hold gold only. I have never sold anything I make ..simply give it away and it is highly sought after. And again you dont have to make things that will break or that cant be repeatedly PoFed. Someone with 2 legendary imbuers should know that.
I thought we were talking about imbuing? If you getting into reforging I see that as a different animal.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm curious how you got from 0 to 120 in under a minute. Unless we're talking about using scrolls of transcendence, in which case, I couldn't even come close to affording that.