• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The State of Stratics- January 4, 2016

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
2016 opens a new era for Stratics. We as a community rallied together in the last days of 2015 -- during the busiest time of the year and with little forewarning -- to purchase the site with the goal of preserving it under a new, community-oriented, not-for-profit model. Together we have accomplished something tremendous... but that's just the beginning. Many of you have expressed your interests for the future of Stratics, and we encourage you always to let us know your thoughts and ideas in the Stratics Suggestions and Ideas forum.

In the meantime, we’d like to let you know what’s on the immediate horizon. While it may not be apparent and we intend to keep disruption to a minimum, there is a great deal going on behind the scenes. Our current priority projects include these in-progress tasks:
  • Finalizing the LLC formation and formalizing the Stratics leadership structure. (Read more about our proposed structure here.)
  • Sending thank you emails; ordering and distributing campaign Perks. (Read more about the status of perks here.)
  • Auditing and updating system/group permissions and workflows.
  • Performing an inventory and audit of current software licenses, plugins, and maintenance renewals/costs so we can ensure we remain in compliance with our vendors.
  • Planning and preparation for a server and hosting migration (including QA of said new server/implementation)
  • Reviewing and updating internal administrative documents such as our Volunteer Staff application(s), Volunteer/Contributor Agreements, Policy & Procedure docs, our Charter and By-Law documents, Mission Statement, etc.
These are all major priorities as we also maintain communications with the community and fulfill our day-to-day moderation duties as well...so we hope you'll bear with us! Once we have these critical transitional tasks under control, we will be able to more fully devote our efforts to some of the more strategic projects we've had in progress prior to the auction and campaign. A few of these include:
  • Actively recruiting more staff in all areas. We've had several people express interest in helping Stratics however they can, and we hope even more of you will step forward!
  • Migrating and updating Stratics' historical content and integrating it into the main site.
  • Re-evaluating our Rules of Conduct and moderation/discipline processes and procedures.
  • Re-evaluating the current forum organization and structure.
  • Actively engaging with the wider UO Community to increase participation and readership and grow our community, via more sponsored in-game events, and other recruitment strategies.
We thank you all for your patience while we get these many tasks accomplished, and we continue to pay close attention to your suggestions and welcome your participation in the process. In the meantime...Happy 2016, and long live Stratics!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Great post

Thanks for all the hard work you volunteers are putting in on this.

It is great to hear that people from the community are stepping up to the plate with interest to serve as well.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Take a deep breath. Let it run on auto pilot for a moment. I appreciate what you folks have done. I did not want to find a new forum. I did invest some few dollars into this effort. I did so willingly and with no expectations of preferential treatment.

Now about those ten years (almost) of volunteer time... *stares* That is my investment.

I am a citizen of Stratics. A Dread Lord citizen... Yeah. Dread... *stares*

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Take a deep breath. Let it run on auto pilot for a moment. I appreciate what you folks have done. I did not want to find a new forum. I did invest some few dollars into this effort. I did so willingly and with no expectations of preferential treatment.

Now about those ten years (almost) of volunteer time... *stares* That is my investment.

/me quakes and shudders in fear and awe at the appearance of such a terrifying and powerful being within the hallowed UHall of Stratics...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It looks great to you, I know you do have an evil side too :p
I would had loved a Dread Lady banner but I'm very happy with the one I got.
I always loved Dread Lords so don't feel bad about it, I had known several cool Dread Lords in the past.

Last edited:

james64468

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe most of the focus should be on growing and getting more members. Stay ahead of the curb. There been some forums that I belonged to that died.
Sorry I don't really have a lot of time to help out. When your son of business man it keeps you busy at times. I end up running my dad's retail store.
In my opinion is what we have for rules and moderation work very well.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks @Riyana for the point... been going bonkers with other things so not paying full attention (wonders why this didn't hit my feed...)

Of note...
Migrating and updating Stratics' historical content and integrating it into the main site.
What is the "main site" and to where is the content going?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thanks @Riyana for the point... been going bonkers with other things so not paying full attention (wonders why this didn't hit my feed...)

Of note...

What is the "main site" and to where is the content going?
That has not been solidly decided yet. We are exploring options.

JDGTR

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
2016 opens a new era for Stratics. We as a community rallied together in the last days of 2015 -- during the busiest time of the year and with little forewarning -- to purchase the site with the goal of preserving it under a new, community-oriented, not-for-profit model. Together we have accomplished something tremendous... but that's just the beginning. Many of you have expressed your interests for the future of Stratics, and we encourage you always to let us know your thoughts and ideas in the Stratics Suggestions and Ideas forum.

In the meantime, we’d like to let you know what’s on the immediate horizon. While it may not be apparent and we intend to keep disruption to a minimum, there is a great deal going on behind the scenes. Our current priority projects include these in-progress tasks:
  • Finalizing the LLC formation and formalizing the Stratics leadership structure. (Read more about our proposed structure here.)
  • Sending thank you emails; ordering and distributing campaign Perks. (Read more about the status of perks here.)
  • Auditing and updating system/group permissions and workflows.
  • Performing an inventory and audit of current software licenses, plugins, and maintenance renewals/costs so we can ensure we remain in compliance with our vendors.
  • Planning and preparation for a server and hosting migration (including QA of said new server/implementation)
  • Reviewing and updating internal administrative documents such as our Volunteer Staff application(s), Volunteer/Contributor Agreements, Policy & Procedure docs, our Charter and By-Law documents, Mission Statement, etc.
These are all major priorities as we also maintain communications with the community and fulfill our day-to-day moderation duties as well...so we hope you'll bear with us! Once we have these critical transitional tasks under control, we will be able to more fully devote our efforts to some of the more strategic projects we've had in progress prior to the auction and campaign. A few of these include:
  • Actively recruiting more staff in all areas. We've had several people express interest in helping Stratics however they can, and we hope even more of you will step forward!
  • Migrating and updating Stratics' historical content and integrating it into the main site.
  • Re-evaluating our Rules of Conduct and moderation/discipline processes and procedures.
  • Re-evaluating the current forum organization and structure.
  • Actively engaging with the wider UO Community to increase participation and readership and grow our community, via more sponsored in-game events, and other recruitment strategies.
We thank you all for your patience while we get these many tasks accomplished, and we continue to pay close attention to your suggestions and welcome your participation in the process. In the meantime...Happy 2016, and long live Stratics!
Sounds like lots of work! Lucky I didn't buy it. I won't even know how or who to operate it!!!

JDGTR

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
It looks great to you, I know you do have an evil side too :p
I would had loved a Dread Lady banner but I'm very happy with the one I got.
I always loved Dread Lords so don't feel bad about it, I had known several cool Dread Lords in the past.
Compared to meh, his Dreadness is like kitten to Dino, baby!

You must love me, more!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exactly my point. I know this is a game but none of us are children.
Yes we are aware and while everyone hopes that everyone else will use common courtesy and decorum... that is not often the case when a discussion gets heated and folk get passionate about a subject. They tend to throw caution to the wind and speak like a pre-teen in a schoolyard.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No.... It shouldn't. But folk will need reminders to try to be less poisonous and attempt to discuss things with Common Courtesy and Decorum.... every now and then I get reminded to be nice... which is fine.

Just need to remember that if it's not something you'd say to their face just because you can't see them there doesn't mean they aren't there... or aren't a human with feelings. Which Kyronix likes to remind me all the time... and I know I can lack tact quite often and am just as guilty as many about some of the not so nice things I say... I don't mean to hurt feelings... but I mean to express my dissatisfaction from time to time as everyone else does.

Just didn't like to be told I could only: :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

When the situation called for more of a: :cursing::twak::wall::rant2:

You know.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.... It shouldn't. But folk will need reminders to try to be less poisonous and attempt to discuss things with Common Courtesy and Decorum.... every now and then I get reminded to be nice... which is fine.

Just need to remember that if it's not something you'd say to their face just because you can't see them there doesn't mean they aren't there... or aren't a human with feelings. Which Kyronix likes to remind me all the time... and I know I can lack tact quite often and am just as guilty as many about some of the not so nice things I say... I don't mean to hurt feelings... but I mean to express my dissatisfaction from time to time as everyone else does.

Just didn't like to be told I could only: :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

When the situation called for more of a: :cursing::twak::wall::rant2:

You know.

People deserve more credit to conduct their own affairs. Yes, people will say hurtful things to one another. Unless it's actually a criminal statement a heated discussion can be helpful for all parties.

On top of that what defines a criminal statement? In one case even know it was a provable factual statement that moderator thought it was an insult which for that admin was criminally wrong. hypothetical Example: Two oxen is a yoke. Admin: Wait a minute... that's an insult to ox!

It sounds ridiculous but I get this kind of thing.

Just lighten up. that is all I'm asking.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
People deserve more credit to conduct their own affairs. Yes, people will say hurtful things to one another. Unless it's actually a criminal statement a heated discussion can be helpful for all parties.

On top of that what defines a criminal statement? In one case even know it was a provable factual statement that moderator thought it was an insult which for that admin was criminally wrong. hypothetical Example: Two oxen is a yoke. Admin: Wait a minute... that's an insult to ox!

It sounds ridiculous but I get this kind of thing.

Just lighten up. that is all I'm asking.
Although this has gone incredibly off-topic, I think there are a few things worth addressing here.

Think of Stratics like a free social club. It's hosted and managed by a group of dedicated volunteers who provide a comfortable, relaxing space for people with a similar interest to gather, socialize, and exchange information. If a few people show up and turn conversations into arguments or shouting matches, other people start to feel uncomfortable. They stop coming to the social club, or they stop participating in conversations because they are constantly shouted down by one or two others. The gatherings and get-togethers shrink because no one enjoys being bullied or called names or told that their opinions are invalid, especially in a public place in front of others.

In a physical club such as I've described, someone starting arguments and fights would be asked to please stop/tone it down; to please be respectful of others who also come to the club to hang out. If they do not or cannot do so they may eventually be asked to leave, for the benefit of the others who share the use of the club. Make sense?

No one enjoys being a moderator; it's a pretty thankless job. But without them, our little club has a danger of becoming a toxic, unkempt or even derelict place that the majority of people avoid visiting. That serves no one (or very few), and eventually leads to the disbandment of the club. I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.

So fair enough -- we're cool with lightening up and staying out of things as long as the majority of the community can go about their business peaceably, and with the things I noted above in mind. That's the way we prefer it, too -- honest.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it came to discussions, a good rule of thumb I tried to use in the past is...
If it attacked the idea or subject... it stayed. If it attacked a person... it went away. It was completely okay to be passionate about a topic, but if you resorted to personal insults... than you are no longer debating, you are losing the argument.

Your ideas aren't you and while you have every right to feel upset that someone doesn't agree with you... you don't have a right to call them names such as stupid, question their parentage or suggest that the inhale orally.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like, that we rarely see locked posts, most times it is handled in PM I believe. It's much better with a friendly reminder that may make the person edit his own post so no other see, that there was a problem.

Also we need ro remember, our staff are there for us. We did choose to support them, because we respected their way to run the forum, so give them a little line to make this work, give them a little peace and a :grouphug:

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although this has gone incredibly off-topic, I think there are a few things worth addressing here.

Think of Stratics like a free social club. It's hosted and managed by a group of dedicated volunteers who provide a comfortable, relaxing space for people with a similar interest to gather, socialize, and exchange information. If a few people show up and turn conversations into arguments or shouting matches, other people start to feel uncomfortable. They stop coming to the social club, or they stop participating in conversations because they are constantly shouted down by one or two others. The gatherings and get-togethers shrink because no one enjoys being bullied or called names or told that their opinions are invalid, especially in a public place in front of others.

In a physical club such as I've described, someone starting arguments and fights would be asked to please stop/tone it down; to please be respectful of others who also come to the club to hang out. If they do not or cannot do so they may eventually be asked to leave, for the benefit of the others who share the use of the club. Make sense?

No one enjoys being a moderator; it's a pretty thankless job. But without them, our little club has a danger of becoming a toxic, unkempt or even derelict place that the majority of people avoid visiting. That serves no one (or very few), and eventually leads to the disbandment of the club. I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.

So fair enough -- we're cool with lightening up and staying out of things as long as the majority of the community can go about their business peaceably, and with the things I noted above in mind. That's the way we prefer it, too -- honest.

If you want to talk about butterflies and candy in UO that is fine. This is "UO hall" for communication of issues dealing with UO. Some of those issues are controversial and for voicing grievances.

If you don't want to be subjugated to grievances and controversial issues then maybe a different UO butterflies area should be made. Or a tag on the thread that says "be warned this subject is controversial"

I can clearly see people do not agree with what I'm saying by these votes. I'm not hear for brownie points.
I'm saying we need more open discourse of peoples points of view without being slapped down. As you just implied you want to slap down conversation in your post You said: "Although this has gone incredibly off-topic" How is it off topic when that was one the points of issue?

Slapping people down is just wrong. I can and never will support a forum like this.
It makes no sense.
All I'm asking is to lighten up.

Last edited:

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like, that we rarely see locked posts,
May I ask how many people that play UO are banned from communicating on this site?
Also, how often are people threatened with a ban for what they have to say?

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
May I ask how many people that play UO are banned from communicating on this site?
Also, how often are people threatened with a ban for what they have to say?
I don't know, maybe they said it in a wrong way. All know I can be really annoying sometime and I sure do post my opinion. All I had got is a single warning from a mod, I found it unfair and contacted an Admin and that warning was canceled again.
I believe it's all about showing some respect and try to behave.

Last edited:

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First thank you for your post showing that the admin does use that button a bit more then they should.

That is all I have been saying.
"lighten up"

Maybe I'm nitpicking but the word "behave" is for parents trying to keep order over their children.

None of us are children here.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
None of us are children here.
hmm, maybe but not all grown up are mature. I'm not born with English, there may be a better word than "behave". My dad always said, think before you talk, maybe "think before you post" or "read it again before you hit post reply".

When we get worked up because something or someone annoy the hell out of us, we sometimes forget to show respect. In some of the subjects here, I :sword:a little but I do not call the ones I disagree with for names, I may tease them a little in a friendly way.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Behave works. Your English is actually pretty good.
As long I write it and not try to speak it. I can't get this stupid word to sound right in my mouth and special if trying voice chat, I total block myself. It goes better if I'm a vacation and have to speak English, maybe because I can use hands too.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you don't have a right to call them names
Clearly it's bad etiquette. Shouldn't that be between those posting not the admin?
Unless it's criminal. Why get involved in other peoples discussions even know you don't like it?

If someone said, I'm as dumb as an ox. Do you really think that I would want him to be policed?
Shouldn't the action of policing be up to those in the conversation? (again unless it's criminal)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If someone said, I'm as dumb as an ox. Do you really think that I would want him to be policed?
I can handle personly attack too but not all can. There may be some, who had been called dumb so often, that they just give up and leave the forum.
I would say, if the one called dumb hit the report options, the mods should ask the person to not call someone dumb.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Considering the majority of the warnings we send are because someone reported the post to bring it to our attention, yeah.... apparently they do want the person to be policed. We don't just search the forums all day looking for people to send warnings to lol. I'd say probably 80% of the warnings sent out are because someone reported it.

(people report things like your example sometimes also btw)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hehe, I think we do have a very stubborn Ox:violin:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
what is a "someone" where they the target?
If their not the target what business do they have with it?
It's not always the target, about half the time it's the target and half the time it's not. Why people choose to report something is not really our concern, any user can report a post, and we will look into it. That is the job of a moderator. We still have to look into it and take action if needed even if it was not the target who reported it.

For example it might be the original poster who is tired of watching a fight happen in their thread, so they report the people who are fighting with each other.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know that many forums have attempted to be a rough and tumble UO forums. Most have failed.
Remember we're talking with the community and those that make the game.
If those that make the game are not here a big part of the forum loses it's meaning.

If this site ever goes away as one of the primary forms then some other forum will pick it up.
I would hope they would have less restraints.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not always the target, about half the time it's the target and half the time it's not. Why people choose to report something is not really our concern, any user can report a post, and we will look into it. That is the job of being a moderator. We still have to look into it and take action if needed even if it was not the target who reported it.

For example it might be the original poster who is tired of watching a fight happen in their thread, so they report the people who are fighting with each other.
No one says you shouldn't look into it. If it's not related to that individual then it should be in a different category.
Witnessing an argument is a lot different then being in one. It should be up to those arguing unless it's criminal.

Note: you said, "half the time it's not"

isn't that exactly what I'm trying to say. lighten up.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think people are banned far less often than folks think, and very rarely permanently.
That is a good sign. I think.
That still leaves the question of threatening a ban and threatening to close a thread. as this thread already had one.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I get it Ox AO, You have your opinion of me pretty much set in stone. Happens to me all the time.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Over the years, UHall has become more of a "general UO discussion" rather than the "communication of issues dealing with UO" - although that, too, takes place.

As by the devs' action (and EMs too) by avoiding posting to UHall and preferring communications directed at them go directly through their support channels, I can see a bit of a loosening in moderation happening - which honestly HAS been happening for quite some time.

Stratics, as a whole, is a fan site, dictated by its own rules. If the stewards of Stratics (boards, stewards, whatever they wanna be called) want to cowtow to Broadsword in various ways for whatever seeming perks might be available to a fansite (which I believe are nill other than being listed on the official game site as a fansite) then they will do what they feel is right.

But for the most part - the rules governing this board are as general and broad as they are for most other fansite forums.

So what's all the hullaballoo about?! The point is needless imo.

Wait, lemme get some popcorn.... :popcorn: