• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Finally! HUGE UO Sale @ Origin

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well.. I for one am madly obsessed with pens of wisdom. Off to buy a bunch I go!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
are they usable with the new Runic Atlas' yet? .... maybe in the next publish!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh did I say huge?

I mean to say the Pen of Wisdom is on sale.

Pen of Wisdom for PC Download | Origin Games

Seriously. One single item is on sale. How does that happen? Is it just a random generator that picks virtual items to list for sale? Makes sense that the RNG would hate me there too.
I should have read the post. Saw sale and headed over there. WTF.... lol

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Oh did I say huge?

I mean to say the Pen of Wisdom is on sale.

Pen of Wisdom for PC Download | Origin Games

Seriously. One single item is on sale. How does that happen? Is it just a random generator that picks virtual items to list for sale? Makes sense that the RNG would hate me there too.
I like you a little less right now.

I saw the headline went straight over to Origin preparing to spend some money, and when I got there I felt nothing but a huge disappointment.

Thanks for being that guy.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect when they decide to have a sale it is on a single item or an entire category. The Pen of Wisdom is likely in a category they selected to have the sale. A lot more items used to be in the wrong categories so they went on sale a few times but they are mostly fixed now.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The more I think about it the more pissed off I become. They don't have anything on sale during 3 Origin major sales and now the only thing on sale is something you can't even use with the new books they gave us with the holiday gifts. Customer Appreciation? I don't think so...

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The more I think about it the more pissed off I become. They don't have anything on sale during 3 Origin major sales and now the only thing on sale is something you can't even use with the new books they gave us with the holiday gifts. Customer Appreciation? I don't think so...

@Mesanna

I think these are all fair assessments that we deserve an answer to.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Mesanna

I think these are all fair assessments that we deserve an answer to.
I feel you but I don't think broadsword can do much about this. Still, it would be cool if this thread was forwarded to whoever authorized this massive sale at Origin... that way the can see what kind of reaction their customer service is getting.

btw, i was at origin store on the 27th and the pens were on sale since at least then. woot

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I feel you but I don't think broadsword can do much about this. Still, it would be cool if this thread was forwarded to whoever authorized this massive sale at Origin... that way the can see what kind of reaction their customer service is getting.

btw, i was at origin store on the 27th and the pens were on sale since at least then. woot

Mesanna may not know immediately off hand why UO items are not included in certain sales, but I'm sure she could find out. I'm sure she answers to someone at EA.

Wonder who it is.....

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broadsword have no say at all over what Origin (EA) do or what they sale. They take none of the money on anything bought from Origin either, it's all into EA's pocket.
Broadsword take a salary from EA and for this they run UO, nothing more.

The reason for the sale on the pen is most likely to the fact that nobody ever buys them, so they are trying to get rid of the generated codes in stock before dis-continuing the pen like they have with other stuff from the store over the years.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Kinda Off Topic, hope ya'll don't mind:

I pretty much never visit the UO Game Store, but I've just seen 6 Month Game Time codes on there for £38.50, that's in Pound Sterling and including VAT.

Yet, I thought to myself; How can that be when I've always been paying a notably high amount per 6 months on a recurring subscription? Even looking right now on my account management, it is £47.99, Pound Sterling, VAT Included.

Please tell me, what am I missing here? Surely I am not spending an extra ~£20 a year for no reason at all... for god knows how long.

I really hope I'm an idiot for not reading some fine print regarding the game time codes, as opposed to using UO as a literal fukken' money sink.

Normally when I make a post like this, I realise my error within 5 minutes after posting, I can't wait for that to happen... any second now......

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
oooor!

could be a test of some sort. after all, would make sense for BS to be taking the ecomm unto their own site... i think....

when we tested things in our cart, we would do a one-item-sale (hopefully an obscure item) to test the new systems against the old.

...anyhoo...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I pretty much never visit the UO Game Store, but I've just seen 6 Month Game Time codes on there for £38.50, that's in Pound Sterling and including VAT.

Yet, I thought to myself; How can that be when I've always been paying a notably high amount per 6 months on a recurring subscription? Even looking right now on my account management, it is £47.99, Pound Sterling, VAT Included.

Please tell me, what am I missing here? Surely I am not spending an extra ~£20 a year for no reason at all... for god knows how long.

I really hope I'm an idiot for not reading some fine print regarding the game time codes, as opposed to using UO as a literal fukken' money sink.

Normally when I make a post like this, I realise my error within 5 minutes after posting, I can't wait for that to happen... any second now......
Your sub is a fixed price (looks like you been on 6 month for a long time).
Do they still even do the 6 month on a subscription?
The gametime cards are susceptible to exchange rates and at the moment the Dollar is weak so it costs less.
Those with excess cash would be wise to buy a few of those 6 month gametime codes......although there is no say that UO will still be here in 6 month so either way it's a gamble. ;)

Last edited:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

The reason for the sale on the pen is most likely to the fact that nobody ever buys them, so they are trying to get rid of the generated codes in stock before dis-continuing the pen like they have with other stuff from the store over the years.
i bought a pen, once, a long time ago. i still have it. guess that says it all.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Your sub is a fixed price, the gametime cards are susceptible to exchange rates and at the moment the Dollar is weak so it costs less.
Those with excess cash would be wise to buy a few of those 6 month gametime codes......although there is no say that UO will still be here in 6 month so either way it's a gamble. ;)
That makes sense I suppose, I might get a couple! I do trust we'll still be here come New Year 2017 - and on that note - Happy New Year Stratics and all those who roam these lands :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mesanna may not know immediately off hand why UO items are not included in certain sales, but I'm sure she could find out. I'm sure she answers to someone at EA.

Wonder who it is.....
ROB DENTON, President of Broadsword:

BONNIE ARMSTRONG, Producer of Ultima Online: TALAL SAAD, Producer of Dark Age of Camelot:

IMHO Rob is the one that should be saying WTF to EA

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are people getting upset that something is not on sale? Do you walk into Walmart and start demanding they give you discounts for being a good customer? This is not how sales work.
I was talking about the 3 previous sales that Origin had that did not include UO items and the one time it did, they "ran out of codes" 2 days into the sale. Now they have a sale and it's on an item that doesn't even work with the new Rune books they gave us so.... I find that insulting.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why are people getting upset that something is not on sale? Do you walk into Walmart and start demanding they give you discounts for being a good customer? This is not how sales work.
They might if Walmart was advertising a sale and they find out only one item was on sale.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i was like "credit card, where the hell is my credit card!"
then i read this thread and now im thinking i need to beat someone with a stick.
a sharp pointy stick with spiders on it.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Origin Holiday Sale Alert save up to %60 Correct me if I am wrong but isn't UO part of Origin? Total # of items on sale 110 and UO gets a whopping 1
Not everything is on sale. Star Wars Battlefront is not. It does not say anything about Ultima Online codes being on sale.

This is like going to an EM event and leaving empty handed, then claiming every person there should have gotten something.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Eh, there is no reason to be upset, it was slightly disappointing though.

My money and I will get along just fine I think.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards

It has always been much cheaper to use 6 Month Game Time Codes. I'm sorry that you hadn't figured it out, until now. :smile2:

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It has always been much cheaper to use 6 Month Game Time Codes. I'm sorry that you hadn't figured it out, until now. :smile2:
It's just like me to blindly miss out on this sorta thing for so long; no idea how I have never heard, seen or crossed this info before.

Y'know what I say? Fiddlesticks, just ferkin' fiddlesticks~