• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm convinced pub 90 broke luck

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been 4 months since the expansion and luck just isn't working like it used to. It seems completely random now, where as before the top damager's luck would always get the luck proc. I've spent hundreds of hours farming with top-notch luck suits, honor bonuses, and felucca bonuses where applicable. This isn't another "oh I killed 5 things and the loot sucked" thread. I have recorded loot quality averages over my kills since November 2014, and pub 90 has brought a marginal drop to that quality.

Not only that, we were told that individual's luck for shadowguard would increase drop rates of artifacts. I can't tell you how many I've killed... lots. I just don't experience any of the benefits of luck towards artifact drop rates. From the average drop rates I've recording from all my characters, it just looks completely random.

Are there any power-gaming luck farmers out there that have noticed a marginal change of loot quality since the expansion hit? I know there's people out there that think luck just never worked to begin with, and there's people that think there's a "sweet-spot" or what-not.

I honestly think that luck worked differently before pub 90. I had consistent improved quality of loot and this is no longer the case. I no longer farm like I used to because I don't see the consistent quality of loot anymore. To be honest, after pub 90 and shadowguard hype, I've lost the ambition I once had for PVM and my regular farming routines. I play less because of it.

If someone reading this is thinking "well you can't get great drops every single kill" ya I can agree with you, but there has to be a curve for people wearing luck suits.

For someone with 4000-5000 luck, 8 times out of 10 you should see improved loot quality. That is what I experienced prior to pub 90. What I'm experiencing now is 1-2 times out of 10 for improved loot quality, which is what people without luck should be getting.

End-game farming in end-game suits should result in end-game loot.

Last edited:

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mainly used luck to farm 10 swing jewelry. I had figured out the right amount of luck to use on certain mobs to get clean 10 swing with only 1 or 2 mods on it. Some times it would only take me an hour or so and sometimes a few hours. I had stopped doing it for awhile because I had a nice stockpile saved up. A few months ago I ran out so i started farming again. In the last 4 months I've got a total of 1 clean swing piece. That tells me that they they toned down luck or messed with the loot tables.

I think they messed with loot tables because while I still get a decent piece every now and then it is way less often. And lower level stuff that is not exodus or Shadowguard is very noticeable. An example is champs. I do a lot of coon, rikki, semidars, and undead spawns. For awhile I could count on at least one decent legendary every 3 or 4 spawns. I've probably only got 2 or 3 legendarys in the last 6 months from spawns. To give you an idea of how many spawns I've done I just sent a book of 300 +20s to atl a couple weeks ago. I did this back in June also so I've got a good idea on how loot has declined on champs.

Another thing I've noticed is peerless loot. While I never got many legendary pieces from them I did get decent talismans. I haven't got a good talisman from a peerless in awhile.

It's the same on event bosses. I was pulling insane loot from Crimson dragons and event bosses. This got toned down a lot. The devs have said they haven't messed with the luck or loot but it's pretty obvious that they have. Now if you want good loot your pretty much forced to kill about 4 things. And don't even get me started on t map loot. I've had to put my t hunter in retirement.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck is a fickle thing and I really believe it does not work in high numbers. I do find that using very high luck hurts your loot from my experiences. I I consider myself a power gamer when I do farm monsters and let me say since pub 90 a lot has gone downhill. Not only quality of loot but quantity, party versus non party loot is not right. They need another global loot revamp so we don't have to kill the same bosses over and over. I would like to kill something different besides shadowlords, shadowguards,exodus. I mean lady mel drops 100 items per character corpse but its 99.9 crap while exodus drops 8 items per corpse... Why do ML Boss's drop 100's of items and the dragon turtle drops less than 10 sometimes 1 per corpse when more people are hitting it. We need come consistency between boss's
I guess I could rant for days on loot and yes I do believe nothing should be to easy but lets have some variety and consistency in loot tables. Lets get rid of KEYS while were on the subject.... Lot's of encounter's do not get done because of the grueling key process........................................ :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can't break things that never worked right in the first place. Just saying.

Kinda like the RNG. You can't break a system that never worked.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets get rid of KEYS while were on the subject.... Lot's of encounter's do not get done because of the grueling key process........................................ :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:
Amen to this.

And while we are on the subject of poor loot, I soloed from start to finish two coons, in ilsh, yeah, and from the two spawns I got 1, yes one, pink-and that was all (cept for those annoying lvl i masteries). I don't cry too much over not getting a boss drop, I never thought they were working too well, but 1 pink from two spawns?

Maybe its cuz I only run 1800-2100 luck?

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak @Kyronix were there any other changes in pub 90 pertaining to luck? I really think there's something wrong here and I think it has to do with the party/non-party loot changes that were made.

Will top damager still get their luck factored?

Can this at least be looked at and/or tested?

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It is odd the quality of items has dropped from what I had been getting.

But I simply assumed luck only played into the amount of items dropped and that RNG affected the quality.

It would be good to know either way.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Amen to this.

And while we are on the subject of poor loot, I soloed from start to finish two coons, in ilsh, yeah, and from the two spawns I got 1, yes one, pink-and that was all (cept for those annoying lvl i masteries). I don't cry too much over not getting a boss drop, I never thought they were working too well, but 1 pink from two spawns?

Maybe its cuz I only run 1800-2100 luck?
i only run about 300 luck and regularly get 2-3 pinks per spawn in ilsh.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been 4 months since the expansion and luck just isn't working like it used to. It seems completely random now, where as before the top damager's luck would always get the luck proc. I've spent hundreds of hours farming with top-notch luck suits, honor bonuses, and felucca bonuses where applicable. This isn't another "oh I killed 5 things and the loot sucked" thread. I have recorded loot quality averages over my kills since November 2014, and pub 90 has brought a marginal drop to that quality.

Not only that, we were told that individual's luck for shadowguard would increase drop rates of artifacts. I can't tell you how many I've killed... lots. I just don't experience any of the benefits of luck towards artifact drop rates. From the average drop rates I've recording from all my characters, it just looks completely random.

Are there any power-gaming luck farmers out there that have noticed a marginal change of loot quality since the expansion hit? I know there's people out there that think luck just never worked to begin with, and there's people that think there's a "sweet-spot" or what-not.

I honestly think that luck worked differently before pub 90. I had consistent improved quality of loot and this is no longer the case. I no longer farm like I used to because I don't see the consistent quality of loot anymore. To be honest, after pub 90 and shadowguard hype, I've lost the ambition I once had for PVM and my regular farming routines. I play less because of it.

If someone reading this is thinking "well you can't get great drops every single kill" ya I can agree with you, but there has to be a curve for people wearing luck suits.

For someone with 4000-5000 luck, 8 times out of 10 you should see improved loot quality. That is what I experienced prior to pub 90. What I'm experiencing now is 1-2 times out of 10 for improved loot quality, which is what people without luck should be getting.

I've noticed it too. When I was doing Exodus runs, I was on a thrower (and initially a tamer) that wasn't wearing luck. Got good loot on a regular basis, even pulling multiple legendary artifacts in multiple runs. Same with Shadowguard and "low" luck (about 960 on LS, I believe, and ~300 less on Atlantic); when wearing luck, I get a lot of lower level items. I've done multiple Shadowguard runs with 2620 Luck (including the statue's +400) and I very rarely get anything. I'm lucky to see ONE Legendary Artifact among my loot.

In another thread a few weeks ago, I had commented on the loot nerf to Shadowguard; the overall quantity hadn't changed, but the quality had. At the time I didn't have enough of a sample size to draw on, but all of my runs since then have been consistent with the runs prior to that post.

@Bleak @Kyronix is there something we're missing about luck? I've done Shadowguard with a guy who has max luck and he gets much better stuff, in addition to more Shadowguard artifacts. How exactly does it work? Is it top damager, averaged luck (if multiple participants are wearing it), highest luck amount, or some sort of combination (i.e. top damager with highest luck)?

del55

Sage
Stratics Veteran

nope, i have not noticed any difference. It has always been the same, **** drop or no drop lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Everything in general seems harder to me now. Swing and miss, swing and miss. I make spell books and getting 2 properties on them wasn't too hard and getting 3 happened often enough. Now it's tough to even get 2 properties. Somethings going on. Just little things, like the RNG got cranked up big time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All I can say about it is perhaps it fixed all you folk who have been overly lucky all the time.

As for me I haven't noticed much change. I never had any luck anyway... I can normally do 2 spawns in a row and NEVER get any pinks at all... I can do 15 Doom runs and not once get a drop... I spend hours in Level 4 shame never got a single item...

I did 100's of Travesty's, countless Lady M's, etc.... without getting anything.... hell I couldn't even get a simple hairdye... So I actually am rather happy you all are starting to feel my pain. Enjoy.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say about it is perhaps it fixed all you folk who have been overly lucky all the time.

As for me I haven't noticed much change. I never had any luck anyway... I can normally do 2 spawns in a row and NEVER get any pinks at all... I can do 15 Doom runs and not once get a drop... I spend hours in Level 4 shame never got a single item...

I did 100's of Travesty's, countless Lady M's, etc.... without getting anything.... hell I couldn't even get a simple hairdye... So I actually am rather happy you all are starting to feel my pain. Enjoy.
Do you actually farm with 4000 luck? Do you kill Lady M, Travesty, etc. with 4000 luck?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they eliminated that variable in the character files each character has that affects their luck. I'll have to spend some time on Chessie and see if my 14 character's luck there has evened out. Wearing luck wasn't even worth it on Chessie.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gripped about this before.
When luck started to effect the content of MIBs I built a luck suit. MIBs are an excellent way to get a sizable sample. I have fished up thousands of them and I have to agree with Goodman above. I get better loot with ZERO to low luck luck than with 1500+. All of my luck suits are in an ornate chest gathering dust.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gripped about this before.
When luck started to effect the content of MIBs I built a luck suit. MIBs are an excellent way to get a sizable sample. I have fished up thousands of them and I have to agree with Goodman above. I get better loot with ZERO to low luck luck than with 1500+. All of my luck suits are in an ornate chest gathering dust.
Will have to try this more often. When I did my Shadowguard runs on Atlantic with the sub-700 Luck, I got better loot. Artifact drop rate wasn't much different though. Reminds me of Doom in the old days; only difference now is that I'm actually able to kill the bosses, instead of my connection (dialup ftl) locking up/lagging out long enough for everyone to do all of the rooms and start killing the Dark Fathers by the time I could move again.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think they changed luck, they just lowered the base loot intensity on most high end critters. Scalis is where I've noticed it most. Same amount of luck used to get me several major/legendary artifacts per Scalis, now I'll get maybe one high end piece in several runs. If they felt they needed to adjust loot intensity to balance things out that's reasonable, but as with many other changes it sucks that things get stealth nerfed heavily rather than minor tweeks and a mention in the patch notes about it.

del55

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@DJAd is that little demon is Kyronix? haha

LOL

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
OK, here's a little outsider perspective on the matter. I've been playing for 3 months now with zero luck. I started from scratch but I used to play from 99-2005. I haven't had any luck suits until last night when I finally made my 2400 luck suit. So I've been doing doom runs for fun since I never got any artifact from there, ever, back in the day. Also I'm using honor so I should have the 1000 luck bonus tacked onto my 2400 luck.

So I've gotten a few artis now and have run it with luck and without luck, and let me tell you the difference is crazy. Loot is very noticeably better. There's a chance that many of you have forgotten what loot looks like w/o luck. Take some time killing things with out luck and then put the luck back on to see if there is a difference.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Changing the loot tables and such shouldn't effect a crafter getting a much lower chance at crafting exceptional items. That *is* going on. There's more to this.