• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Brainstorming thread about how to update outdated items and spawn

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hi all

I was thinking, we do have lots of craftable artifacts, using special resources, there are very little demand for now.
I believe small tweeks can bring this items back to business for crafters and farmers.
Just some ideas /cases.

Lets take Silvani's Feywood Bow
What would make players demand this bow, now where we have imbuing and new loot.?
I would say, update the mods, so they are more useful. With my add, it would give:
Total Weight: 440 / 550, that would leave 110% for an extra mod, allow that to be imbued.

Stone(s)
Spell Channeling
Hit Chance Increase 12% -> increase to 25%
Swing Speed Increase 30%
Damage Increase 35% -> increase 50%
Energy Damage 100%
Weapon Damage 15-19
Weapon Speed 3.75
Range 10
Strength Requirement 45
Two-Handed Weapon
Skill Required: Archery

Resources Needed: 20 Boards or Logs
1 Lard of Paroxysmus
10 Muculent
10 Scourge

Lets take a suit, that would give Carpenters some more business:
This suit is outdated too.

Darkwood Chest

Stone(s)
Hit Point Increase 2 -> Increase it to 3%
Defense Chance Increase 5%
Physical Resist 8%
Fire Resist 5%
Cold Resist 5%
Poison Resist 7%
Energy Resist 5%
Strength Requirement 95

Darkwood Set

Stone(s)
Self Repair 3
Strength Bonus 10
Hit Point Increase 12 -> Increase it to 18
Night Sight
Reflect Physical Damage 25%
Defense Chance Increase 30%
Add Mana Increase 30 (all need mana now)
Physical Resist 60% -> Increase it to 70%
Fire Resist 60% -> Increase it to 70%
Cold Resist 60% -> Increase it to 70%
Poison Resist 60% -> Increase it to 70%
Energy Resist 60% -> Increase it to 70%
Strength Requirement 95 -> Decrease it to 75

Now we do have Dragon Armor, made from scales, but it plain sucks.

Resist are so low, that it make it total useless. Not even exp. bonus can help it, it sucks.

Dragon Breastplate

Stone(s)
Physical Resist 3%
Fire Resist 3%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%
Strength Requirement 75

Type Other
Red 1, 11, -3, 1, 1 = 11 -> Make it 3, 8, 1, 3, 3 = 18 + Hitpoint Increase 3
Yellow3, 1, 1, 1 , 1 = 1 + 20 Luck -> Make it 1, 3, 3, 3 , 3 = 13 + 70 Luck
Black, 1, 1, 1, -3 = 11 -> Make it 8, 3, 3, 3, 1 = 18 + Stamina Increase 4
Green-3, 1, 11, 1 = 11 -> Make it 3, 1, 3, 8, 3 = 18 + Randum gathering skill 10% (Mining, Lumbering, Imbuing)
White, 1, 11, 1, 1 = 11 -> Make it 1, 3, 8, 3, 3 = 18 + Lower Requirememts 40%
Blue 1, 1, 1, -3, 11 = 11 -> Make it 3, 3, 3, 1, 8 = 18 + Mana Increase 4

Fishing Quest
, the rewards are outdated, most only do the quest to get 120 fishing scroll, then they stop.

• Dredging Hook -> add a few special items to the stuff you can pull up, maybe a backpack with small gems or other resources, there may be a demand for.
  • Junk Proof lobster trap We all hate crap fishing, so if we could fish without getting unnamed lobster/crabs and have a better chance to get more than one crab/lobster without losing the trap
  • A special map/sos with treasures different from normal levels, maybe some piece of UO stories. I have some old images from early UO homepage, here is a few of them. Make them like painting, that works like the VvV banners and new cards we get from the chocolate men
upload_2015-12-2_11-11-40.png upload_2015-12-2_11-11-57.png upload_2015-12-2_11-12-13.png upload_2015-12-2_11-12-32.png upload_2015-12-2_11-12-49.png

• Maybe a house customizing tile, a low fence, low door, that could been from an old ship
That was just some of my ideas, but I'm sure, without to much work, it would be possible to update some old context, make it useful without making it over posered.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You may need to find another place to view those than UOGuide.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
There are so many places and so many items in UO noone use.
The Chocolate Nutcracker did bring back the use for cacao, vanillia and sugar. Putting the card in them is great as it will help the demand.
The house wall and floor tiles did bring back demand for granit.

We need to look at, what we have, noone use and what would do the trick to make it useful again. I believe we can help with ideas, special if we look at, what is good for the game and will make the players busy, when they login.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Scribers and scrolls

I see, some vendors run out of blank scrolls and runes after we got the Runic Atlas and I was thinking, what can we do to increase the demand for scrolls and give scribers something to do?

In old days, alot was using scrolls for mage spells but now scribers only have demand for few scrolls.
Right now, you need less magery to cast from scrolls than from regs but scrolls and regs are expensive vs LRC. Maybe we need to changes it, so there is more advantage from using scrolls or regs.
Changes it so you can circle 1-4 without magery if you use scrolls and circle 1-2 without magery, using regs, and can cast 4 circles higher from using scrolls and 2 circles higher from using regs vs using LRC

Now LRC will work as it do now, regs will give the advance scrolls do now and scrolls will spare you alot magery skill points. This should make more use regs and scrolls.
Now, we could need a scroll book, where you can add spell scrolls and the icons in it, will get a different color, than the ones from the spell books. You can draw them to your desktop.
Now, how should a spell macro work, should it choose to cast from scroll, if magery are to low to cast with LRC or regs and you have scroll/scrollbook in your main backpack or should that be an option you can set in Options setting.
Should the scrollbook be insure able, I don't think so as stackables can't be secured and same with bags so like a regs back, it should drop on corpes
What about the weight? 1 stone for each pile of scroll and for each 50 scrolls in a pile +1 stone?

And now we are there, lets get a regs bag too.

I know some will dislike, that it take more magery to cast from LRC than from regs or scroll, but remember you can insure your LRC items but not your regs and scrolls.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the main problem when approaching what to do about outdated (or poorly designed) artifacts is the sheer number of them from over the years. It's kind of staggering to look at.

Dragon's End
Katrina's Crook
Blackthorn's Exemplar
Sentinel's Guard
Bronze Armor of the Valkyrie
Ruined Driftwood Bow
Mystic's Guard
Light of the Void
Staff of Resonance
Valkyrie's Glaive
Crown of Arcane Temperament
Abyssal Blade
Axe of Abandon
Axes of Fury
Banshee's Call
Blade of Battle
Cavalry's Folly
Channeler's Defender
Claws of the Berzerker
Death's Head
Demon Hunter's Standard
Draconi's Wrath
Eternal Guardian Staff
Impaler's Pick
Jade War Axe
Legacy of Despair
Life Siphon
Mangler
Petrified Snake
Raptor Claw
Resonant Staff of Enlightenment
Staff of Shattered Dreams
Standard of Chaos
Stone Dragon's Tooth
Stone Sith Claw
Storm Caller
Sword of Shattered Hopes
Vampiric Essence
Boura Tail Shield
Dragon Hide Shield
Pillar of Strength
Sign of Order
Sign of Chaos
Cast off Zombie Skin
Giant Steps
Night Eyes
Spined Bloodworm Bracers
Void Infused Kilt
Burning Amber
Demon Bridle Ring
Dragon Jade Earrings
Token of Holy Favor
Torc of the Guardians
Venom
Fang of Ractus
Gauntlets of Anger
Brave Knight of the Britannia
Shroud of Deceit
Oblivion's Needle
Royal Guard Survival Knife
Djinni's Ring
Calm
Quell
Pacify
Subdue
Tongue of the Beast
Jade Armband
Dread's Revenge
Scepter of the Chief
Aegis of Grace
Alchemist's Bauble
Arctic Death Dealer
Blade Dance
Blaze of Death
Bonesmasher
Boomstick
Bow of the Juka King
Brightsight Lenses
Captain Quacklebush's Cutlass
Cavorting Club
Cold Blood
Enchanted Titan Leg Bone
Flesh Ripper
Gloves of the Pugilist
Heart of the Lion
Helm of Swiftness
Luna Lance
Night's Kiss
Nox Ranger's Heavy Crossbow
Orcish Visage
Polar Bear Mask
Quiver of Rage
Quiver of Elements
Raed's Glory
Righteous Anger
Shield of Invulnerability
Soul Seeker
Staff of Power
Talon Bite
Violet Courage
Wildfire Bow
Windsong
Wrath of the Dryad
Illustrious Wand of Thundering Glory
Leviathan Hide Bracers
Rune Engraved Peg Leg
Smiling Moon Blade
Culling Blade
Blade of the Righteous
Inquisitor's Resolution
Titan's Hammer
Zyronic Claw
Aegis
Arcane Shield
Axe of the Heavens
Blade of Insanity
Bone Crusher
Bracelet of Health
Breath of the Dead
Divine Countenance
Frostbringer
Gauntlets of Nobility
Helm of Insight
Holy Knight's Breastplate
Jackal's Collar
Legacy of the Dread Lord
Leggings of Bane
Ornate Crown of the Harrower
Ring of the Elements
Ring of the Vile
Serpent's Fang
Spirit of the Totem
Staff of the Magi
The Bezerker's Maul
Dragon Slayer
Dryad Bow
Taskmaster
Voice of the Fallen King
Blight of the Tundra
Brightblade
Abhorrence
Craven
Captain Johne's Blade
Equivocation

I'm sure I'm missing some and this list doesn't include the 55+ useless craftable artifacts either.

The easiest way to make these items desirable again is to allow imbuing and enhancing on them. That could be fun and would be a great move to sell even more forge metal tool game codes.

Me personally, I would love to see something similar to the Blackthorn Artifact system. Turn in 50 items from the above list to claim new items or deco. Granted, these new items or deco would have to extremely desirable and designed well. (Basically whoever designed the Leviathan Hide Bracers should not be in charge of this project.)

Now here's the twist. I'd like to see it something similar to the large bulk order deed system. Not just turning in 50 of the easiest to collect or make artifacts, but a mix of them. 10 Doom arties, 10 minor ML arties, 10 major arties, 10 craftable arties, and 10 Champ level arties.

Make people go back out and fight in those long abandoned dungeons again. Give us a reason to.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Problem is if you make craftables and artifacts too good everyone complains you can't get any....

If you make it so all the best stuff comes from hunting... then why bother having a crafter?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I agree, allowing imbuing / enhancing of them would help, but some would still be impossible to make useful.
Leggings of Bane

Stone(s)
Artifact Rarity 11
Durability 100%
Stamina Increase 8
Hit Chance Increase 20%
Physical Resist 4%
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 4%

Poison Resist 36%
Energy Resist 2%
Strength Requirement 60
Durability 255

Enhancing would not help this resist much. You would be able to imbue 3 of them but last one would still sucks but maybe it was worth the 20 HCI.

Violet Courage

Weight 4 Stone(s)
Luck 95
Defense Chance Increase 15%
Physical Resist 14%
Fire Resist 12%
Cold Resist 12%
Poison Resist 8%
Energy Resist 9%
Lower Requirements 100%
Mage Armor
Durability 255

Enhancing and imbuing could make this one really nice. I don't care that much if the resist may get to high, as we still have cap for a suit. I would add LMC, MR or MI and enhance with golden ingots.

Weight 9 Stone(s)
Spell Channeling
Hit Stamina Leech 40% -> 50%
Swing Speed Increase 30% -> + 10% = 40%
Damage Increase 20% -> 50%
Poison Resist 10% -> 15%
Physical Damage 50%
Poison Damage 50%
Weapon Damage 20-24
Weapon Speed 5.00
Range 8
Strength Requirement 80 -> 20% = 64
Two-Handed Weapon
Skill Required: Archery
Durability 255

I would not be able to imbue this bow much as it already have 5 mods but I could max them out and then enhancing with Ash + 10% Swing Speed Increase, 20% Lower Requirements.
Think that would make me use my old nox bow. It would give imbuers more customers and bring back alot of the old artifacts. The weight cap on Imbuing would balance it, I believe.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Problem is if you make craftables and artifacts too good everyone complains you can't get any....

If you make it so all the best stuff comes from hunting... then why bother having a crafter?
Se that's where we need a balance and I do know it can be complicated but the idea about letting the crafters enhancing and imbuing outdated artifacts could work. Our Devs may need to start with some and give them a tag, that allow it and then when they have time, add some more to the group and maybe upgrade some without allowing the crafters to upgrade them.
Also if some items risk to get to powerful in the hands of the crafters, lower the imbuing weight on them to limit it or give them a mod more to control how much a imbuer can add to it.

Now lower the vendor fee and I'm sure we would see a lot of different items on vendors.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the main problem when approaching what to do about outdated (or poorly designed) artifacts is the sheer number of them from over the years. It's kind of staggering to look at.

Dragon's End
Katrina's Crook
Blackthorn's Exemplar
Sentinel's Guard
Bronze Armor of the Valkyrie
Ruined Driftwood Bow
Mystic's Guard
Light of the Void
Staff of Resonance
Valkyrie's Glaive
Crown of Arcane Temperament
Abyssal Blade
Axe of Abandon
Axes of Fury
Banshee's Call
Blade of Battle
Cavalry's Folly
Channeler's Defender
Claws of the Berzerker
Death's Head
Demon Hunter's Standard
Draconi's Wrath
Eternal Guardian Staff
Impaler's Pick
Jade War Axe
Legacy of Despair
Life Siphon
Mangler
Petrified Snake
Raptor Claw
Resonant Staff of Enlightenment
Staff of Shattered Dreams
Standard of Chaos
Stone Dragon's Tooth
Stone Sith Claw
Storm Caller
Sword of Shattered Hopes
Vampiric Essence
Boura Tail Shield
Dragon Hide Shield
Pillar of Strength
Sign of Order
Sign of Chaos
Cast off Zombie Skin
Giant Steps
Night Eyes
Spined Bloodworm Bracers
Void Infused Kilt
Burning Amber
Demon Bridle Ring
Dragon Jade Earrings
Token of Holy Favor
Torc of the Guardians
Venom
Fang of Ractus
Gauntlets of Anger
Brave Knight of the Britannia
Shroud of Deceit
Oblivion's Needle
Royal Guard Survival Knife
Djinni's Ring
Calm
Quell
Pacify
Subdue
Tongue of the Beast
Jade Armband
Dread's Revenge
Scepter of the Chief
Aegis of Grace
Alchemist's Bauble
Arctic Death Dealer
Blade Dance
Blaze of Death
Bonesmasher
Boomstick
Bow of the Juka King
Brightsight Lenses
Captain Quacklebush's Cutlass
Cavorting Club
Cold Blood
Enchanted Titan Leg Bone
Flesh Ripper
Gloves of the Pugilist
Heart of the Lion
Helm of Swiftness
Luna Lance
Night's Kiss
Orcish Visage
Polar Bear Mask
Quiver of Rage
Quiver of Elements
Raed's Glory
Righteous Anger
Shield of Invulnerability
Soul Seeker
Staff of Power
Talon Bite
Violet Courage
Wildfire Bow
Windsong
Wrath of the Dryad
Illustrious Wand of Thundering Glory
Leviathan Hide Bracers
Rune Engraved Peg Leg
Smiling Moon Blade
Culling Blade
Blade of the Righteous
Inquisitor's Resolution
Titan's Hammer
Zyronic Claw
Aegis
Arcane Shield
Axe of the Heavens
Blade of Insanity
Bone Crusher
Bracelet of Health
Breath of the Dead
Divine Countenance
Frostbringer
Gauntlets of Nobility
Helm of Insight
Holy Knight's Breastplate
Jackal's Collar
Legacy of the Dread Lord
Leggings of Bane
Ornate Crown of the Harrower
Ring of the Elements
Ring of the Vile
Serpent's Fang
Spirit of the Totem
Staff of the Magi
The Bezerker's Maul
Dragon Slayer
Dryad Bow
Taskmaster
Voice of the Fallen King
Blight of the Tundra
Brightblade
Abhorrence
Craven
Captain Johne's Blade
Equivocation

I'm sure I'm missing some and this list doesn't include the 55+ useless craftable artifacts either.

The easiest way to make these items desirable again is to allow imbuing and enhancing on them. That could be fun and would be a great move to sell even more forge metal tool game codes.

Me personally, I would love to see something similar to the Blackthorn Artifact system. Turn in 50 items from the above list to claim new items or deco. Granted, these new items or deco would have to extremely desirable and designed well. (Basically whoever designed the Leviathan Hide Bracers should not be in charge of this project.)

Now here's the twist. I'd like to see it something similar to the large bulk order deed system. Not just turning in 50 of the easiest to collect or make artifacts, but a mix of them. 10 Doom arties, 10 minor ML arties, 10 major arties, 10 craftable arties, and 10 Champ level arties.

Make people go back out and fight in those long abandoned dungeons again. Give us a reason to.

You left out Shaminos Best Crossbow I think it's called. Laughably named, I"m pretty sure ole Shamino went hungry many a night relying on that bow.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shamino's "Best" Crossbow, while awful, I left off the list of items I'd like to see as turn-in artifacts because it can only be gotten by using a token. I think the turn-ins should only pertain to items gathered from fighting in Anti-Virtue dungeons, peerless, paragons, T-hunting, champ spawns and Doom.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was just taking the opportunity to laugh yet again, at that bow.

You know what? You're right. There's no reason not to add Shamino's Crossbow, Royal Leggings of Embers, Holy Sword or any of those other crappy and beyond worthless items to this artifact turn-in system too. There's enough of them around pointlessly taking up space, and if someone wants to blow an old token on one, that should be their choice.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The best stuff has always come from hunting...and still does.... crafted stuff is what you wear or use until the hunting pays off

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do believe it's bad to changes old dungeons as much as they did Covetous and Despise. It had been better to just tweak them, maybe add some kind of quest and mini games to them, and still keep them close to their old style.
I don't know much about the new Trammel Despise as we don't have it on Siege but I hate what they did to Fel Covetous.
This stone harpies could have got a nest in one of the many forest and the headless miners spawn could had been added to the mining caves we have several off. the Void pool and the Cora spawn could had got their own dungeon somewhere.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do believe it's bad to changes old dungeons as much as they did Covetous and Despise. It had been better to just tweak them, maybe add some kind of quest and mini games to them, and still keep them close to their old style.
I don't know much about the new Trammel Despise as we don't have it on Siege but I hate what they did to Fel Covetous.
This stone harpies could have got a nest in one of the many forest and the headless miners spawn could had been added to the mining caves we have several off. the Void pool and the Cora spawn could had got their own dungeon somewhere.
I agree since first off they moved Sudiva from her home... transplanted her to Ilshenar only after many of us protested her being "removed". Brought some irritation in the minds of those of us on GLs who saw our lovely tunnel destroyed and now poor sparky has been left out of his nice cavern and dumped outside the Zoo in Moonglow.

As for Despise I begged and begged for them to leave that dungeon alone... since we all know that's one of THE best places to train new characters.... at least it was. Light spawn upstairs great if you rounded them up into a pile for working up your parry and such... downstairs got harder and harder mobs great for finishing out your skills, training your pets and everything else.

They "could/should" have ruined something like Deceit since NO ONE goes there hardly. Instead they take the most popular of the old dungeons and destroy them. Now Wrong was done ok.... and I don't really mind what they did there. Shame was actually "improved" by their meddling..... But Covetous and Despise were destroyed. Sure folk do level 4 covetous and stuff but I'm sure they could have found somewhere else for all that as well as that silly game they put in there. And Despise is a griefers paradise now. Many of those issues were NEVER resolved.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New Despise is total garbage. Some half-assed Pokemon knockoff kind of place now.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take off the restriction from stealing containers. For whatever reason the old devs had for removing this, it was a fail. The PvP thief profession has been decimated over the years and I'd love to see something added back into the game that allowed thieves to steal multiple items in one steal...especially if someone puts a blessed item into a bag or other container in their pack...la

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I agree with a ton of the above. Also, tiny nits that just always annoy me... They blocked off a cave long long ago, NE of Skara, because that area was used as the old Haven mine. There's also a large inaccessible area in the SW of Ter Mur. There's a dungeon and grassy area/house way west of Luna on the Malas map which was supposed to be used for a Daimyo quest that never happened. There's several other areas like these; blocked off or without any way to access, and just kind of... forgotten. I'd love to see areas like these brought back so we can at least access them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with a ton of the above. Also, tiny nits that just always annoy me... They blocked off a cave long long ago, NE of Skara, because that area was used as the old Haven mine. There's also a large inaccessible area in the SW of Ter Mur. There's a dungeon and grassy area/house way west of Luna on the Malas map which was supposed to be used for a Daimyo quest that never happened. There's several other areas like these; blocked off or without any way to access, and just kind of... forgotten. I'd love to see areas like these brought back so we can at least access them.
There is a Demon room in Fire Dungeon that has been locked for years now. Can't get into one of the rooms at Castle British because someone put in an invisible wall.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts, concerning craftable artifacts.

I've said before in a past discussion that artifacts (named, non-random) should possess properties either above their caps, or properties not typically found on their respective form, which can be used to make specialized templates. We could go a step further and distinguish lootable artifacts and craftable artifacts, and my thoughts concerning that are that craftable artifacts should possess properties above their caps or not typical to their form, but should also be imbuable. In other words, while a lootable artifact found in a dungeon could (or should, ideally) be a 'complete' item, the craftable artifact could simply be a template for further crafting and customization. A good, current example of this would be the ecru citrine ring, which can sometimes be crafted with 50% enhance potions. That property is well above its item cap, and the ring itself can also be imbued, yet still be bound to its normal imbuing weight cap.

For Silvani's Bow, as another example, instead of boosting the properties it already has, we could, say, remove everything but HCI and put that at 35% (well above its normal item cap), and have the bow be imbuable. It would still be subject to the 500 weight cap which would limit what else a player can imbue onto the bow, but it would offer a new route in template design.