• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why isnt this game on Steam

Aefalex

Visitor
Seriously? We have thousands of people running back and forth (literally, its 2D ppl) in games like 'Terraria', people are out there openly trying anything put in front of their face. Games which are absolute piles are gaining thousands of incoming new players using Steam as a jump point, this games already been green lighted. What is the deal??

I feel like we have broken login servers, vendor search, transfers, with quality connections falling apart at the seams and switching characters near impossible. The game doesn't recognize I'm logging off at my house half the time so when I try to switch characters I get the you are still logged in with another char message. The entire MMO industry owes this game, and there are plenty of talented developers who remember this and would love a job. I can't imagine the influx of new subs steam would bring couldn't make that possible.

Is there anything we can do as fans to get this going? I thought that was the greenlighting process, which I thought we already did?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game has been Greenlit by the Community!
The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Steam Greenlight :: Ultima Online

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The devs have stated they want to make a new player experience before the game gets released on Steam. When that will happen is anyone's guess. All you can do is keep bugging the devs about it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldnt matter if it were already on Steam...since login is only about 30-50% probably wouldn't be many fooling with it. Most businesses and games with our CS record don't last long, no matter who or where they are. We are the exception just because we will tolerate anything thrown at us after years of addiction-new players ain't gonna stay, they will move on to something else

just my opinion.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
According to the last chat with the Devs... Broadsword's end of it is done, it's up to EA to pull the trigger at this point. Getting EA to move on something in their corporate world is like pushing water up hill.

Last edited:

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
According to the last chat with the Devs... Broadsword's end of it is done, it's up to EA to pull the trigger at this point. Getting EA to move or something in their corporate world is like pushing water up hill.
Put water in round container into freezer
Wait until frozen
Remove ice from container
Profit

Maybe EA should hire me as a consultant.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Put water in round container into freezer
Wait until frozen
Remove ice from container
Profit

Maybe EA should hire me as a consultant.
Well I'm pretty sure we'd all like to see the game on Steam and expose it to any new players we can. So if you can make something happen that would be awesome :)

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't believe that EA and Steam have a particularly good relationship. I also don't think that it would have stood a chance of being greenlit if the "creator" or "developer" was listed as EA instead of Broadsword. Personally, I am guessing we will see hot air balloons and gypsy wagons in game before it hits Steam (never).

Aefalex

Visitor
It's just such a shame, I just let it drift into the no-longer-care zone until i start steam and see some of the garbage online games, now with this new early access thing tens of thousands of people are playing big code-test jokes and paying for it for months and months, and this beautiful world of potential most newer gamers have only heard in mmo myths and stories of olde, sits neglected in deserved attention. Sad Face.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use to attend a fair number of gaming events internationally when I was younger and single with money to burn. So I have some interesting industry and media types as friends and followers from over the years. Without a doubt everyone of them speaks with great love and fondness for this game....and complete and utter shock when I tell them it is still around. The industry doesnt have a clue that it is still here because it isnt really.....it is unsupported and neglected and needs to either get the life saving surgery it needs....or to get put down to stop all our suffering

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Putting it on Steam wont make a hapeth of difference unless EA drop the subscription model. And when it got greenlighted it got slated by the steam community. Here we are a year and a half later and still zero progress. Not going to happen and if it did it would be an abject failure without going F2P

Herp!

Journeyman
... EA won't put games on steam. Period. That's what Origin is for. Their significantly worse, much more resource intensive, piece of junk game hub/platform. When Maxxis made sim city(2013?) I had to frigging buy it through origin and install that awful beast of a platform on my computer. Since 1 month after that, I have not used origin and never will again... game wasn't even worth the trouble anyway.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
... EA won't put games on steam. Period. That's what Origin is for. Their significantly worse, much more resource intensive, piece of junk game hub/platform. When Maxxis made sim city(2013?) I had to frigging buy it through origin and install that awful beast of a platform on my computer. Since 1 month after that, I have not used origin and never will again... game wasn't even worth the trouble anyway.
The newish Sim City where ya gotta be connected to the internet? Ya I was fired up to get it. Played it for about a week :p Every company on the planet thinks you'll be delighted to cram your hard drive with all their crap lol

Herp!

Journeyman
The newish Sim City where ya gotta be connected to the internet? Ya I was fired up to get it. Played it for about a week :p Every company on the planet thinks you'll be delighted to cram your hard drive with all their crap lol
Yes that's the one! They actually got rid of the always online junk recently... game is still garbage.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd actually buy UO again just so I could have it on my games list if it went live on Steam.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's because they don't want to make money or bring in new players.

I has to be that because why else wouldn't you advertise your game or have little to no PR exposure.

Which is strange since EA is a money grabbing company

Herp!

Journeyman
It's because they don't want to make money or bring in new players.

I has to be that because why else wouldn't you advertise your game or have little to no PR exposure.

Which is strange since EA is a money grabbing company
It's because EA & steam had a HUGE falling out a few years back over... you called it! MONEY! If it was up to Broadsword I can almost guarantee this would be on steam. However, as bioware mythic, broadsword, and UO are subsidiaries of EA, this will likely never happen. Can't even remember the year but there was a point within the past 6 years where all of my EA games were magically removed or would not load from my steam library.