• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

They Did The Art Wrong AGAIN!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyones so afraid of hurting someones feelings now no one has the guts to say when something STINKS.
I really don't think that has ever been the case. People always complain about pretty much everything all the time.

I also really think the whole notion that people today are more greedy and lazy than they used to be is nonsense. People of literally every generation have adopted this notion as they age. People today are the same as people ever were, the world is just different. That's another topic of course. :p

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
On that note, I'm having a hard time finding a job in pursuing my art career. Here's a taste of my capabilities, it's just concept art for a new Water Dragon spawn boss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is just wayyy too funny

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
You do have to keep in mind the people who made the origional assets were probably 20 years older than the people making them now, and the general professional aesteitc, the kind you are liable to pick up in art school, is probably just much different, let alone the technology used to make the art.
So technology has gotten to the point we can only make sad looking art? lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With art a person can say I like it, I don't like it. That's reasonable. But to totally ignore the perspective after the sundial thing is what I can't get a grip on. I'm not sure what words you would want to use to describe this situation, but I can't think of any nice ones lol
I mean, technically the perspective in UO is out of whack. The 100% perspective IS correct relative to the tiles. The original art team made an aesthetic choice to use an overhead tile perspective and an isometric world art perspective. The reason it looks "wrong" is because it's going against the ole aesthetic choice that we all associate with what UO "should look like", but technically the full on perspective is more "correct" in relation to the ground. So, really, in this case, it IS a subjective dislike that people have.

Like has been brought up before cathat (if I remember correctly) was the one who decided that they would use the overhead perspective because it matched the tiles, and they mostly haven't deviated from that aesthetic since then.

Obviously the isometric presentation looks (subjectively) better, and that's the perspective they should be using because I think 99 people out of 100 would prefer it, and it is in line with the core game "look", but I don't think it's a matter of lack of skill or training or anything.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I mean, technically the perspective in UO is out of whack. The 100% perspective IS correct relative to the tiles. The original art team made an aesthetic choice to use an overhead tile perspective and an isometric world art perspective. The reason it looks "wrong" is because it's going against the ole aesthetic choice that we all associate with what UO "should look like", but technically the full on perspective is more "correct" in relation to the ground. So, really, in this case, it IS a subjective dislike that people have.

Like has been brought up before cathat (if I remember correctly) was the one who decided that they would use the overhead perspective because it matched the tiles, and they mostly haven't deviated from that aesthetic since then.

Obviously the isometric presentation looks (subjectively) better, and that's the perspective they should be using because I think 99 people out of 100 would prefer it, and it is in line with the core game "look", but I don't think it's a matter of lack of skill or training or anything.
They can make any perspective they want. Just go back and change the other 10,000 pieces of art then to match :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So technology has gotten to the point we can only make sad looking art? lol
No, its gotten to the point that it's so different from the techniques used in the past that to replicate the look of old art assets must be a concious effort that would deviate from the normal procedure of a game artist. I honestly don't know what programs were used in the making of the classic assets, but I can tell you it didn't use any of the basic tools of modern digital art outside of the "pencil" tool.

I honestly think that if they hired a professional pixel artist who worked with the limited pallet of the classic assets, at least for static art, that we would have MUCH nicer looking things.

I have half a mind to "pixel" the snowy tree, just to make it look better, and more fitting, but others have made a similar effort before me, and it's probably not worth 5-8 hours of my time to do so, just to illustrate an already probably accepted point. :p

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
^^^ This ^^^

But this is the problem the globe over anymore. Everyone has this gimme, gimmie, attitude.... but no one wants to do anything. Everyone wants the "easy" button..... no one seems to take pride in their work anymore like its become a sin or something to do a good job.... but then you get a pat on the back and a star if you don't jack off in class... and you get a trophy for being a loser. There is no punishment anymore F-UP and someone will have a "stern talking with you"..... but nothing will come of it.... because no one wants to get sued or fired over harassment. So a half-arse pile of crap is given a thumbs way up and they are patted on the back for their effort and no one cares that your car which everyone knows most old cars are still around and able to run today but the one you buy off the lot will be lucky to last you 3 years before it kicks the bucket now.... but no one cares. Or that you can pick up and use a piece of furniture from 300 years ago and it's still beautifully crafted and solid buy a dresser or bookcase today and in 10 years it's pieced together with more nails and ducktape than wood. Very few things are made with care and pride anymore. Why do you think people go nuts over buying Amish items? Because the Amish generally don't rush and make quality work that will LAST.

Everyones so afraid of hurting someones feelings now no one has the guts to say when something STINKS. Honestly the new tree is supposed to have some rare colors supposedly.... don't know if anyone has found one yet.... but if you paint a turd it's not going to make it any less of a turd.
The days of craftsmanship are almost dead... craftsmanship has become a luxury. Now is all about mass producing crap, so it breaks and you have to buy more. Stuff that looks good for 1 week then it falls apart. Anyway, that's off the subject of this post. I think this was just a very lazy work they did cause they had to, and whoever did it just wanted to leave early for thanksgiving vacation.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You all realize that most of this art was probably done months ago, right?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One would think...sincee there isnt really a reason for the holidays to have to be rushed lol. I, myself, already know when next years Christmas is gonna be!!!! buahahaha

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It aint just the plants they have trouble with. Look at the new mobs in Eodon carefully, their perspective is off from the land also. Easily visible on the Dragon Turtle champ cos of it's size.

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just not a fan of the new looking art, nothing is "cool" it has become soft and warm. Look at the new trophy art especially on the bear its smiling for fracks sake when it should look fierce and foreboding. Plants should look crisp, demure, Stately, "mature".

Weapons should look fierce and deadly and armor should look crisp and impenetrable, not like I just walked out of a 70's hair band( tiger armor).

I get that the team wants to appeal to a younger crowd but they need to keep in mind a large portion of the player base is well into their forties+

70's hair bands appeal to a younger crowd?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It aint just the plants they have trouble with. Look at the new mobs in Eodon carefully, their perspective is off from the land also. Easily visible on the Dragon Turtle champ cos of it's size.
I personally get a laugh every time a Phoenix dies..is he "striking a pose" or dying? :/ it's so confusing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be your typical american kid response.... "i dont like it therefore i quit" and that wouldnt be good for the game.

The opinion of bad art is constructive, it provides UO with feedback to do a better job next time or even perhaps change the art while they still can.
The tone of these rants is far from constructive...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like the art either, but I feel like people are tossing around a lot of weird non-sequitur assumptions. :/
this is UOhall right? just making sure im where i thought i was ;)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it was, and the same complaints were made back then when it was on test.

Seriously, what holiday is that tree for? im gonna have to agree (as much as i hate to) with Donald Trump on this one. Its just not christmasy enough. Doesnt exactly scream Hanukkah, and im pretty sure Kwanza doesnt have anything to do with bonsai trees either.

So I would like to ask all on UO hall, if these are a "Holiday" gift, what holiday is this nightmare of a potted plant celebrating?

just give me some candy canes, and maybe a wreath... is that so hard?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it was, and the same complaints were made back then when it was on test.

Seriously, what holiday is that tree for? im gonna have to agree (as much as i hate to) with Donald Trump on this one. Its just not christmasy enough. Doesnt exactly scream Hanukkah, and im pretty sure Kwanza doesnt have anything to do with bonsai trees either.

So I would like to ask all on UO hall, if these are a "Holiday" gift, what holiday is this nightmare of a potted plant celebrating?

just give me some candy canes, and maybe a wreath... is that so hard?
We have a wreath... one which I'd like to point out IS done in the proper perspective and size... it's also fully dyable... Was one of the better gifts we ever got for the holiday... the candle we got was GIGANTIC so was it's bow... if it were meant to be like the ones people put on their lawns it's too skinny... But at least the art was good and it had the proper perspective. It's Art 101 people PERSPECTIVE.... learn it. Just because the perspective of UO is not the norm and it's a tad "off" it was at least uniform... we need to stay that way. And I for one am sick and tired of things not being aligned properly in the tile... the Blackthorns collection tables and such are completely unusable since they are WAY off base on sitting properly in the tile you can't put chairs anywhere near them without them looking weird and since I can't lower them to the proper space in the tile then they have to be raised and they "float" above the ground almost a full tile.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just about exactly what I was going to point out in this thread, but you say it so much more articulately than I could!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well ya know the sundial perspective was "out of whack" when they redid it. But somehow they managed. If they can't pull off one holiday plant properly I'm rather concerned lol

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I just had to try this:

HolidayGifts.png

I took the decorative topiary from 2004, which were based on the old 'potted tree' and gave the "dots" some random colors.

I don't know if they are better or worse from what we got today, but... here they are. :smile2:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Not sure I've ever been called a UO cheerleader, however, when it comes to calling out pixel crybabies...I've always been at the front of the line...la
So when you "cry baby" about needing trash cans in cities and there not being enough heritage tokens in game your being constructive. When I complain about the art that's total unacceptable? Grow up.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just had to try this:

View attachment 39969

I took the decorative topiary from 2004, which were based on the old 'potted tree' and gave the "dots" some random colors.

I don't know if they are better or worse from what we got today, but... here they are. :smile2:
I think those look very nice. Notice how the scale of the pot is so much better than the ones we just got. I actually like the plant ok but then the pot is half as big as my character. Also the pot just does not have the same smooth real look on these old models.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think those look very nice. Notice how the scale of the pot is so much better than the ones we just got. I actually like the plant ok but then the pot is half as big as my character. Also the pot just does not have the same smooth real look on these old models.
Whoops mistake. The new ones do not have the same smooth real look that is on the old models. I should read before I post. Sorry

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just had to try this:

View attachment 39969

I like these a lot better, myself. Nice job!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I just had to try this:

View attachment 39969

If they just started off with those pots (old art pots like the rubble ones) they would have nailed the perspective pretty much right there. They could put almost anything on top of it and it would look right. If they really wanted variety they could neon up the pot colors too. Mesanna says she hates neon but I keep seeing it :) They pretty much just need a round and square pot. They've got a perfect round one already in relationship to perspective. Make a perfect square one and stick to it. Once the perspective on the pot is nailed anything growing out of it would probably look ok, in relation to perspective anyway. Maintaining the same perspective is really my only issue. It really doesn't matter which pot makes sense from a perspective point of view, they went with one perspective for years and to change it now just looks bad. Like what ya did there with those plants btw :)

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
If they just started off with those pots (old art pots like the rubble ones) they would have nailed the perspective pretty much right there. They could put almost anything on top of it and it would look right.
Yeah, that would work for me too.

Did a quick mock-up in Gimp... :smile2:

HolidayGifts2.png