• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

They Did The Art Wrong AGAIN!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
After the big deal when the players threw a fit over the sundials and all last gift round they did it again on the perspective! I just can't believe it! HOW!!!??? I can't even post what a really wanna say about this... I just can't say it nicely.

Untitled.jpg

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
As usual, ungrateful kid syndrome (UKS) hits UO when a new round of items are released...la
Are you kidding??? We pay these people, these aren't "gifts". It's part of the package, seriously. We pay them for this content and they make the same mistakes over and over! It just blows my mind. Plants are total trash as far as I'm concerned. Mannequins I have enough off. Scrolls only apply to specific characters. I guess I got a gift box if I had any reason to click the token.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After the big deal when the players threw a fit over the sundials and all last gift round they did it again on the perspective! I just can't believe it! HOW!!!??? I can't even post what a really wanna say about this... I just can't say it nicely.

View attachment 39928
It's not as bad as the sundails were. There's a tilt, it's just not quite strong enough.

I wish that rather than these guys, we would have gotten deeds for snow covered oak, and walnut and other etc trees we have in game but don't have access to. Make um work just like the pine xmas trees where you can just have them as regular trees if you want. Yew tree as a the "rare" tree. I know that I would have been all over cross shard trading for the first time in years.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
*Peers closely at Mr. Lucky*

My son, is that you? :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Nope, a simple case of UKS...la
Sure let em do sloppy work. Who cares right? Do it half way wrong AGAIN. 3 publishes in a row! Do it wrong AGAIN! Who cares??? Artists can't do it right. No one oversees the work. Let the game just float down the toilet. I get it that you don't care about the game Rico, but some of us do. Login in servers hosed, vendor search broken, arts done wrong, who cares right Rico? Hey just have em sit there and toss pencils at the ceiling tiles I guess. I think it's total BS I'm expected to keep paying when there's such a lack of concern over the quality of the work being delivered. The fact it's such a simple thing to do right, especially after we just went through this in the last 2 publishes you'd think they'd catch a clue. Your wrong Rico, big time. We should expect professional work or have professionals put into those positions.

Anniv Gifts on TC1

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It's not as bad as the sundails were. There's a tilt, it's just not quite strong enough.
I think it's exactly the same as the sundials. If you look at the real art and the new art it's a dramatic difference. Artists don't get it, testers don't catch it, supervisors don't pay attention. Nobody can remember a screw up from one publish to the next one. Inconceivable! ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's exactly the same as the sundials. If you look at the real art and the new art it's a dramatic difference. Artists don't get it, testers don't catch it, supervisors don't pay attention. Nobody can remember a screw up from one publish to the next one. Inconceivable! ;)
The problem is, that quite some time back, they started listening to the :cheerleader: you know, the ones who say don't complain, just be glad you still have a game to play. So since no one holds their feet to the fire, why should they bother?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Right! It's only pixel gifts for goodness sake...la
Totally not the point at all, you totally missed it. It's the attitude or the ability to not get it right (again). If your gonna do it get it right. Especially after the sundial fiasco. Art in an online game is a real part of the game, it really is. We just went through that recent interview where they said they hired a new artist (another artist I assume) and the focus would be on high quality art, not going back and redoing old art. And this is what we get.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Right! It's only pixel gifts for goodness sake...la
Totally not the point at all, you totally missed it. It's the attitude or the ability to not get it right (again). If your gonna do it get it right. Especially after the sundial fiasco. Art in an online game is a real part of the game, it really is. We just went through that recent interview where they said they hired a new artist (another artist I assume) and the focus would be on high quality art, not going back and redoing old art. And this is what we get.

Reactions: Lug

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just not a fan of the new looking art, nothing is "cool" it has become soft and warm. Look at the new trophy art especially on the bear its smiling for fracks sake when it should look fierce and foreboding. Plants should look crisp, demure, Stately, "mature".

Weapons should look fierce and deadly and armor should look crisp and impenetrable, not like I just walked out of a 70's hair band( tiger armor).

I get that the team wants to appeal to a younger crowd but they need to keep in mind a large portion of the player base is well into their forties+

Last edited:

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am just not a fan of the new looking art, nothing is "cool" it has become soft and warm. Look at the new trophy art especially on the bear its smiling for fracks sake when it should look fierce and foreboding. Plants should look crisp, demure, Stately, "mature".

Weapons should look fierce and deadly and armor should look crisp and impenetrable, not like I just walked out of a 70's hair band( tiger armor).

I get that the team wants to appeal to a younger crowd but they need to keep in mind a large portion of the player base is is well into their forties+
I can't "like" this post enough.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

I get that the team wants to appeal to a younger crowd but they need to keep in mind a large portion of the player base is is well into their forties+
Well I'm not going to get into ALL art lol. That's just beyond the scope of what I wanna deal with lol. But since we're talking about gifts in this thread this is a more manageable conversation for me. lol

Looking at gifts...

perspective.jpg

Lets see Valentine's Day we got those really tall vases and goblets. I don't see many of those around lol. I didn't care for them cause they didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the art. But cool, whatever.

Then we had Easter and got plant #3 above (and another plant style) and you can see the plant perspective at the pot is totally off from the standard art (pic 4) People bitched about it and hoped it was lesson learned for the dev team. I threw them in a box with the Valentine's day gifts hoping on clean up points someday.

So 18th anniversary came around and we got the gifts #1 and #2. The Sundial was so far off they actually admitted it and fixed it before release. The original Sundial before it was fixed is below. They made it acceptable. They also worked on the 18th anniversary vases to be more palatable. Cool. But the plates I really liked. Liked the look and idea and all. They were different. Now while they look great in a pack or box, if you put them on a table they don't look like that. That look like they're laying flat on the table. There's a stand with them so I assume they should look like they're standing up. So while they're not horrible they're certainly aren't right.

gifts.jpg

Halloween - rehash. I did make a full set of pumpkins with one of my characters names on them. But There wasn't anything new so I didn't really get involved much.

Thanksgiving - nada

Now we get to Christmas. #5. Now it does look a lot better than #3 but clearly still doesn't match the original perspective of the rest of the game. As compared to #4 which is really a beautiful plant.

So I guess the annoying thing is this has been going on a long time. They are clearly aware of the problem cause they fixed the vases (some) and the sundial. Then the very next gift publish they fall back to forgetting the entire thing and doing it wrong again. It just drives me nuts lol

Now this is the same team that did the Easter bunnies which were cute. They did the marble bars which were very cool. They do some good work. But I simply can't understand why they can't get a grip on this plant perspective thing. At this point I kinda wish they would just stop. If for some reason the new art can't line up with the old art, just stop. Just forget the whole thing. Give us old art recolored or something. Take the old stuffy bear and color it red or something for Valentine's Day or whatever. But just throw in the towel on plants.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking of art....can someone tell me who did the Turtle Dragon art cover for the log-in screen...?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I suppose if you could do it better, you could volunteer your services to improve the game...just sayin'...la
I'm not a paid professional artist! That can't even be considered a logical alternative if I was lol. So I should pay them 40 bucks a month, then volunteer to do their job for them? lol What planet are you from anyway? Logic isn't your strong point, go back to posting your stupid pictures. lol So like if I buy a defective car from Ford I wouldn't expect them to fix it? Just suck it up and forget about it? Then go make my own car? What are you talking about?

Reactions: Lug

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, the plant looks terrible. Looks like cheap Peekachoo animation. i understand that asians make up around 40 percent of UO subs right now, but if this "art" is the norm now it may quickly be 100 percent. maybe thats the plan. ive said for years that UO would probably do much better if the current devs were replaced by a japanese team who marketed the game entirely towards that customer base.

Peekaplant.png

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@TheScoundrelRico so its the kid syndrome but you ignore the fact that UO gets away with the same thing? should we coddle them for being so bad? Nope sorry, @Capt. Lucky has a solid point. UO has for far too long been able to get away with really crappy service. I for one am glad someone else calls them out for crappy ass art.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Sorry, the plant looks terrible. Looks like cheap Peekachoo animation. i understand that asians make up around 40 percent of UO subs right now, but if this "art" is the norm now it may quickly be 100 percent. maybe thats the plan. ive said for years that UO would probably do much better if the current devs were replaced by a japanese team who marketed the game entirely towards that customer base.
It really doesn't bother me so much the art isn't that good. Although it does remind me of some Facebook games. What bothers me is after all this time they can't get the perspective angles right to match the rest of the game. I think your being hard on the Japanese, I doubt they're crazy about it either lol. When I go to the Asian shards they all seem pretty dead to me. Not saying there isn't a lot of people playing. But looking at all the open house spots I doubt they make anymore money off of Japan than any other area of the world.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
@TheScoundrelRico so its the kid syndrome but you ignore the fact that UO gets away with the same thing? should we coddle them for being so bad? Nope sorry, @Capt. Lucky has a solid point. UO has for far too long been able to get away with really crappy service. I for one am glad someone else calls them out for crappy ass art.
Yeah I got better things to do than rag on UO. Okay maybe I don't atm. ;) But yeah it certainly won't get better if we don't speak up *Bows with grand flourish*

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose if you could do it better, you could volunteer your services to improve the game...just sayin'...la
I've been an advocate for this for years..they are just being stubborn husbands that refuse to ask for directions! "Honey the GPS is wrong!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so its the kid syndrome but you ignore the fact that UO gets away with the same thing?
I'm sorry it is so difficult for you to understand. Let me put it into simpler terms for you, "It's like complaining about a gift you receive at Christmas."...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a paid professional artist! That can't even be considered a logical alternative if I was lol. So I should pay them 40 bucks a month, then volunteer to do their job for them? lol What planet are you from anyway? Logic isn't your strong point, go back to posting your stupid pictures. lol So like if I buy a defective car from Ford I wouldn't expect them to fix it? Just suck it up and forget about it? Then go make my own car? What are you talking about?
First off, haha at you for paying them 40 bucks a month. Next, it's you that has missed Logic101. If you would like, I will slow down the conversation so you can catch up.

To use your analogy...

You are paying $40 bucks a month for a car that is close to 20 years old. Then on the car's anniversary, the auto company sends you a FREE ugly air freshener to hang on the rear view mirror.

The car continues to work as it did when you purchased it. If you don't like the air freshener, throw it away or don't use it. Just don't cry about how ugly it is...la

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm sorry it is so difficult for you to understand. Let me put it into simpler terms for you, "It's like complaining about a gift you receive at Christmas."...la
Dude it's not a gift. They don't stay after work and do this for free on their own time. We pay them to do it. It's our money. It's like paying for your own Christmas gift and getting the wrong one.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
First off, haha at you for paying them 40 bucks a month. Next, it's you that has missed Logic101. If you would like, I will slow down the conversation so you can catch up.

To use your analogy...

You are paying $40 bucks a month for a car that is close to 20 years old. Then on the car's anniversary, the auto company sends you a FREE ugly air freshener to hang on the rear view mirror.

The car continues to work as it did when you purchased it. If you don't like the air freshener, throw it away or don't use it. Just don't cry about how ugly it is...la
Should I go cry about trash cans in another thread? Nothing is free here, we pay for all of it.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is flawed rhetoric my friend. Its not a gift if you pay for it. Not to mention, letting them get away with crap art leads them to believe they can do it for other things. We pay a sub fee, we should have a bit of input on what type of art gets introduced to the game. Even if it is just an opinion its an opinion that pays a sub fee, it deserves to be listened to for that point alone.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do. It's called the cancel subscription button...la
That would be your typical american kid response.... "i dont like it therefore i quit" and that wouldnt be good for the game.

The opinion of bad art is constructive, it provides UO with feedback to do a better job next time or even perhaps change the art while they still can.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On that note, I'm having a hard time finding a job in pursuing my art career. Here's a taste of my capabilities, it's just concept art for a new Water Dragon spawn boss

hahahahahahahahhahahaha

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
On that note, I'm having a hard time finding a job in pursuing my art career. Here's a taste of my capabilities, it's just concept art for a new Water Dragon spawn boss

*wipes coffee off monitor* I *think* I know one place you got a shot at getting a job at for sure.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So since no one holds their feet to the fire, why should they bother?
Professional pride I would imagine. To be clear I don't think they are being lazy/crappy, I think it's just a decided upon aesthetic, and only mass pancakes gets them to deviate from it.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure let em do sloppy work. Who cares right? Do it half way wrong AGAIN. 3 publishes in a row! Do it wrong AGAIN! Who cares??? Artists can't do it right. No one oversees the work. Let the game just float down the toilet. I get it that you don't care about the game Rico, but some of us do. Login in servers hosed, vendor search broken, arts done wrong, who cares right Rico? Hey just have em sit there and toss pencils at the ceiling tiles I guess. I think it's total BS I'm expected to keep paying when there's such a lack of concern over the quality of the work being delivered. The fact it's such a simple thing to do right, especially after we just went through this in the last 2 publishes you'd think they'd catch a clue. Your wrong Rico, big time. We should expect professional work or have professionals put into those positions.

Anniv Gifts on TC1
I care so much about the art. I just hate all this stuff that is wrong. I just don't use it. Like I don't use the walls that just don't go in UO. I am not sure what amazes me the most. Is it the fact that the original artists were so VERY good or that the ones since can just never get it right. The original art fits the game so perfect and it did for awhile but somewhere it went astray. Yes I care!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I get that the team wants to appeal to a younger crowd but they need to keep in mind a large portion of the player base is well into their forties+
Why would you assume that those perceived qualities would be a hallmark of trying to be appealing to young people? Just out of curiosity.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 39937

I don't like the art either, but I feel like people are tossing around a lot of weird non-sequitur assumptions. :/

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you assume that those perceived qualities would be a hallmark of trying to be appealing to young people? Just out of curiosity.

Because the new art is quickly becoming facebook game style art...and your right it was an assumption on my part, could be a combination of "catering" perhaps even personal catering on a dev level....Dun Dun Dunnnnn!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The problem is, that quite some time back, they started listening to the :cheerleader: you know, the ones who say don't complain, just be glad you still have a game to play. So since no one holds their feet to the fire, why should they bother?
^^^ This ^^^

But this is the problem the globe over anymore. Everyone has this gimme, gimmie, attitude.... but no one wants to do anything. Everyone wants the "easy" button..... no one seems to take pride in their work anymore like its become a sin or something to do a good job.... but then you get a pat on the back and a star if you don't jack off in class... and you get a trophy for being a loser. There is no punishment anymore F-UP and someone will have a "stern talking with you"..... but nothing will come of it.... because no one wants to get sued or fired over harassment. So a half-arse pile of crap is given a thumbs way up and they are patted on the back for their effort and no one cares that your car which everyone knows most old cars are still around and able to run today but the one you buy off the lot will be lucky to last you 3 years before it kicks the bucket now.... but no one cares. Or that you can pick up and use a piece of furniture from 300 years ago and it's still beautifully crafted and solid buy a dresser or bookcase today and in 10 years it's pieced together with more nails and ducktape than wood. Very few things are made with care and pride anymore. Why do you think people go nuts over buying Amish items? Because the Amish generally don't rush and make quality work that will LAST.

Everyones so afraid of hurting someones feelings now no one has the guts to say when something STINKS. Honestly the new tree is supposed to have some rare colors supposedly.... don't know if anyone has found one yet.... but if you paint a turd it's not going to make it any less of a turd.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The original art fits the game so perfect and it did for awhile but somewhere it went astray. Yes I care!
Well, I mean... duh. The origional art fits... the original game. Makes sense doesnt it? The different resoliton, the different tools used making it, and the dramatically broadened color pallent are the main reasons things don't "fit" with art made 20 years ago.

That said they COULD make it fit, but, it would probably be a chore.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because the new art is quickly becoming facebook game style art...and your right it was an assumption on my part, could be a combination of "catering" perhaps even personal catering on a dev level....Dun Dun Dunnnnn!
You do have to keep in mind the people who made the origional assets were probably 20 years older than the people making them now, and the general professional aesteitc, the kind you are liable to pick up in art school, is probably just much different, let alone the technology used to make the art.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't like the art either, but I feel like people are tossing around a lot of weird non-sequitur assumptions. :/
With art a person can say I like it, I don't like it. That's reasonable. But to totally ignore the perspective after the sundial thing is what I can't get a grip on. I'm not sure what words you would want to use to describe this situation, but I can't think of any nice ones lol