• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Test Center - New Runic Atlas - General Comments

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since it is on test center, here are some quick comments on the New Runic Atlas without getting blended in with other gifts or items comments.

Feedback for consideration:
  • Provide a way to sort runes (could add up/down arrows to the book or sub-menu like the music order option)
  • Add in a method to flip to the page you need without turning pages individually (could be like old rune book with the numbers/circles)
  • Ability to retain the colors from the rune dye tub would be nice.
  • Others?
Thanks!

Holiday gift token:
Recipe for a Runic Atlas
  • A large runebook capable of holding 48 runes and up to 100 charges.
  • Craftable via the inscription skill
rune book atlas.jpg

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree and don't forget the Pen of Wisdom! Let us copy one book to another please! Won't mind if it takes a few more charges for the big books maybe 2 or 3 but please give the Pen of Wisdom some wisdom in copying these too!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its too big. and faces the wrong direction. dunno why anyone would use this, it takes up more room in an efficient pack arrangement than regular ones.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i hope the devs consider this feedback before the new runebooks hit the production shards. i agree with all the feedback given so far.

maybe i'm OCD, but i like my runes grouped by facet, and in alphabetic order. every now and then an EM comes along and puts something in town that blocks my rune resulting in the need to remark the rune. omg, i just can't imagine having to dump 47 runes to put the brit bank rune in it's proper place. what if there was a mark option where we could remark a rune already present in the book? that would be awesome.

i'm not crazy about the size or direction either. yikes! i must be getting old and set in my ways!

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like the ability to automatically dump a regular runebook's runes into the Atlas. Opening a book, dropping a rune, closing the book, finding and then dropping the rune onto the atlas, rinse and repeat 16 times X at least 3 runebooks per char (a few with far, far more...) is going to be an all day exercise in OCD neurosis...

OMG the clicking! :sad3::coco:

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So it shows the same amount of runes per page (8) as a normal runebook but has to be so much larger?!

They didn't add a toggle to move runes up or down so you can easily swap locations in the book then...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So it shows the same amount of runes per page (8) as a normal runebook but has to be so much larger?!

They didn't add a toggle to move runes up or down so you can easily swap locations in the book then...
It's the new thing in UO make everything extremely GIGANTIC!!!!! I mean come on this has been going on for years... the poor Rocking Horse I blame for the start of the insanity to moving things to HUGE size. Since then things have been getting bigger, and BIGGER and BIGGER. It's insane. IMO. The new counters we got are too tall. They are nearly as tall as your character seriously your character would feel like a small child trying to use them. The Jestershoes are HUGE look worse than clown feet. (And FYI properly sized Jester Shoes were already IN THE GAME they just don't have a graphic for being on your paperdoll... Infact there are a LOT of items that are in the art but lack any graphics for being on your paperdoll or moving in the game, shirts, skirts, dresses, the Jester Pants and many other things)

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I see a problem with the new books I didnt notice until I could make one here (Siege). RueTor you have in your book, recall, gate and sacred journey. Marlboro you have recall and sacred journey. So that means Marlboro doesnt carry magery. You cant gate to a boat, but in the old books you can use it for gateing to boats even though you dont have magery. Since my one char on Siege doesnt have magery she cant use that book for gateing to boats.

Gunth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see a problem with the new books I didnt notice until I could make one here (Siege). RueTor you have in your book, recall, gate and sacred journey. Marlboro you have recall and sacred journey. So that means Marlboro doesnt carry magery. You cant gate to a boat, but in the old books you can use it for gateing to boats even though you dont have magery. Since my one char on Siege doesnt have magery she cant use that book for gateing to boats.
Can you set the boat rune as the default location and then just target the book using a gate scroll? It's not ideal, but it could be a work around.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im pretty sure who ever is doing the art work for UO is blind as a bat. I love the concept of the runebook and plan on using with out any changes but yeah its huge.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Cant gate travel from that object. Hoffs has a macor set to a gate and cant use that either.

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
gonna repeat what Smoot said - because he said it concisely and needs repeating - maybe they are trying to promote Enhanced Client because:
It's too big and faces the wrong direction. It takes up more room in an efficient classic client pack arrangement than regular ones. Please shrink this down and make it face same direction as other runebooks.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
From the sound of things, I doubt I'll even bother having my scribe make any. :(

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
As for marking, I'd love to be able to mark in place. Let me toss in unmarked runes as well as marked ones. If I need to change where my Britain rune is marked, let me just click on a mark dot, like recall/etc, and mark that rune. Only... maybe put a blank line between the "travel to" dots and the "mark here" dot, so its harder to accidentally mark over an existing rune?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gosh, I for one think the Runic Atlas is beautiful. Cuts Runebook use down by 1/3. I love it.

I mean, why not books of 96 while they're at it, but still ;).

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well, I do like the Runic Atlas I must say.
I have gone from 9 runebooks taking up space in my pack, to 4 which is awesome!
Oh and I have discovered if you lock your runebook down on the floor, use a house placement tool and turn it. It will face the opposite direction then in your pack:)

Book.jpg

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My only complaint about them so far is that now I have no excuse for not reorganizing my nightmare mess of runes. o.0

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With as many runes as it holds and given most of us are condensing and/or using this book for multiple categories of places, we need ways of sorting within the book. The way it is now you have to take each rune out of the book you have, place it in the order you want it to go into the new book, and drop it in the book one by one. Now you decide you forgot an important rune right at the front of the runebook, what happens? Pull 'em all out, start all over again. I add runes to my books all the time and it's a big hassle with our regular 18 spot rune books, now with this??? It's a horror show.

We've wanted the ability to drop ALL runes out of a book with one click, I've seen that posted many times, any way that can be done? That might be at least a juryrig solution to the above problem.

Also, I was disappointed that you couldn't put runes in on the open pages, turn to the next 2 page spread and use that for another category, leaving the spaces on the previous pages for runes to add later. With the continuous list it is now, if you want to be able to find a rune in a particular area reasonably fast, you have to remark the rune with a preface such as the name you used for your smaller runebook for each area, thus taking up valuable label space and making it doubly hard.

I'm not a programmer but it seems to me this is a list sort of thing and shouldn't be that difficult to modify. I do surely hope it can be made functional because the way it is, I will not be using it and I bet a lot of folks won't be either when they find out how hodge podge your runes get in a few weeks after adding ones that should have gone to the front, middle, end etc.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally wish I had a dump all runes button on all runebooks..... as well as up and down arrows to move runes up or down in sequence. Because sometimes for no reason in particular a rune will quit being a valid location and you want to remove it or remark it and what a pain to pull out that many runes to remark just one.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its such a great idea but just a bit of a fail because you can't move the runes around inside the book. Its (almost) Christmas @Kyronix @Bleak is there any chance of getting this feature added?

Marlboro_78rus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Scale mode for books.jpg

One moment else:
Using Toggle Scale Mode in EC client we may change the size of books - Mastery, common Spellbook, Spell weaving book... But NOT Runebooks.. old or new ((((

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I wish the new runic atlas had the same type of function that the seed box does.
The seed box allows us to remove 1 seed or all. Then you can either shift the seeds left or right.
Why not add something like this to the runic atlas........please!!:D