• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Soulstone question

Ossy

Adventurer
Say I want to switch back and forth between two skills, would I need two soulstones?

The two skills are archery and parrying.

Would I need to remove Parrying from the character and onto a stone and then take archery off another stone?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes.....or two fragments...or a stone and a fragment....
if you have characters with skill space to hold skills....you can probably do it with one stone.

have archery on char 1 and parry on character 2....
put archery on stone and transfer it off stone to character 2 or a different character.
Put parry on stone and then transfer it to character 1

this works...but only until you have 7 full characters....then you need stones or frags to hold skills.

Ossy

Adventurer
yes.....or two fragments...or a stone and a fragment....
if you have characters with skill space to hold skills....you can probably do it with one stone.

have archery on char 1 and parry on character 2....
put archery on stone and transfer it off stone to character 2 or a different character.
Put parry on stone and then transfer it to character 1

this works...but only until you have 7 full characters....then you need stones or frags to hold skills.
Hadn't thought of that option and that will work for me. Thanks. Not ever planning on having 6, let alone 7, full characters.

Even back in the day when first played, really only had 3 characters really played and the others that I tried different stuff out with.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hadn't thought of that option and that will work for me. Thanks. Not ever planning on having 6, let alone 7, full characters.

Even back in the day when first played, really only had 3 characters really played and the others that I tried different stuff out with.
I was that way once....then I kept trying things and trying things...and filling up characters.... next thing you know you have 7 full characters...7 stones...and 20 frags full of skills.

Then you start moving characters and a few frags to a different shard to free up space for a new character on your primary shard....
then one day you stand up and say...Hello my name is _____________ and I have a UO addiction!

Last edited:

Ossy

Adventurer
Luckily I have time working against me, it'll be all I can do to maintain and play two characters.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you have 7 slots and don't consider too many legendary skills you can use 42 (already minusing 7 for your main) skill spots worth of other character caps as temporary holders of skills instead of buying soulstones. Then you only need like 5 or 6 soulstones to have the other skills. If you're into the game a lot and want to have all the skills trained this is possible. You still have capacity for about that much even with one soulstone if others hold it like Timberwolf said.

The only trouble with having a single main is that stats may be different for different templates. I've thought about doing it a few times.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It would be nice if we could trade skill from a soul stone instead of the current method...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have 7 slots and don't consider too many legendary skills you can use 42 (already minusing 7 for your main) skill spots worth of other character caps as temporary holders of skills instead of buying soulstones. Then you only need like 5 or 6 soulstones to have the other skills. If you're into the game a lot and want to have all the skills trained this is possible. You still have capacity for about that much even with one soulstone if others hold it like Timberwolf said.

The only trouble with having a single main is that stats may be different for different templates. I've thought about doing it a few times.
This raises an interesting question.....how many characters do you need ( while using soul stones and skill mules....to cover most templates....

I am thinking 2...
str/stam/mana ( with pots) 150/210/90 would cover most warior templates and 150/10/220 for most mage/tamer/bard type templates

I am sure I have forgotten something though but if not....if you could get by with 2 basic stat sets then you have 5 toons as skill mules for 30 odd skills.
PS are dirt cheap now so having mules scrolled up for certain skills isnt a huge issue

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Talking about soul stones. ..I think soul stones fragments kinda suck. They go for about 3 mill or so and wear out pretty quick. But being broke most of the time I learned you can put a skill on them and delete the skill it doesn't use any charges. So they're great for seesawing skills. Say you can say run mace up to 25 or so for strength and drop the skill on a fragment and delete it and it doesn't use a charge. Then run the skill back up again and gain some more strength. Rinse and repeat. So they're nice for working or adjusting your stats.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Talking about soul stones. ..I think soul stones fragments kinda suck. They go for about 3 mill or so and wear out pretty quick. But being broke most of the time I learned you can put a skill on them and delete the skill it doesn't use any charges. So they're great for seesawing skills. Say you can say run mace up to 25 or so for strength and drop the skill on a fragment and delete it and it doesn't use a charge. Then run the skill back up again and gain some more strength. Rinse and repeat. So they're nice for working or adjusting your stats.
The trick for stat gain is that you max out a skill that is easy to raise like Med and Focus. You then keep it marked up for gains, very important. Your stats will sky rocket very quickly Med and Focus will get all your stats where you want them. Just lock the one (Stat) you don't want to gain.

It's a lot easier than the old Seesawing method that required you to 720 skill cap. But your way is also a good workaround. I find I don't gain as much stats anymore as you used to though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The trick for stat gain is that you max out a skill that is easy to raise like Med and Focus. You then keep it marked up for gains, very important. Your stats will sky rocket very quickly Med and Focus will get all your stats where you want them. Just lock the one (Stat) you don't want to gain.

It's a lot easier than the old Seesawing method that required you to 720 skill cap. But your way is also a good workaround. I find I don't gain as much stats anymore as you used to though.
This is true any skill you are maxed in if you set it to raise and keep working using that skill even archery, anatomy or anything like that it will cause your stats to raise instead of skills since you can't get any more skill.