• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This is why we have no new players

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I just tried to create a 2nd account tonight. As a veteran since 2000, I thought it would be a simple process of going to UO.com and going to accounts and creating a new one..
I did that and entered my payment info and was billed.
I then tried to login with my info and im told my account is not linked to my EA account.. huh??? so you have to make 2 accounts as a "new player"???? nowhere did it say that so .... i try to find out about this and there is nothing...
Now i see why we cannot get new players.... the whole process is insane.
why can you not just click "new account" and then fill in the details and pay for it, then be able to login???

Why does it have to be a puzzle to create an account? @Kronix hello!!!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh there are 100's of reasons why we can't get new players and the account "Mis" Management problem is at the TOP of the list.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I am really pissed that I was charged for a month of service and there is no way to access the new account. Just imagine any new player wanting to try out UO... they will be turned off big time and feel robbed... i have no idea if putting an "@" sign before someone's name notifies them but its not working most times to notify them .... @Mesanna

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Deep Ellum Dan Yes, putting an @ sign in front of a person's name does send them a notification, like the one this post just sent you. If they choose to ignore the notifications there is really nothing that can be done though.

Also, Mesanna's account says she hasn't logged in here since October 7th, so she would have no way of seeing the notifications without logging in. She might be reading threads without logging in though.

I completely agree that the account management system needs to be made much more user friendly as quickly as possible, it seems like common sense that the game isn't going to make money if people can't even figure out how to make accounts, yet it never gets fixed. A store in real life wouldn't make much money either if the owner boarded up the door and refused to let anyone inside to buy things....

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
maybe the RNG is also part of the new account creation process :O lol still nothing on my new account.. weird thing is i chose my account name but on the eamythic site, its putting a 2 after my username but when i go to reset my password, there is no "2" after my username so I am sooo confused. So far I have paid and have nothing to show for it. This is the worst

Ossy

Adventurer
I had no problem figuring it out.

One account is the EA master for all EA games and the other is specific to UO.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you want to use the @ to notify people it helps to check your spelling. The @kronix in your opening post gathered no response because the name you want is Kyronix - though I'm not sure he can help with this one.
Keep in mind you are dealing with THREE account names - your EA acccount, which is your email. Your 'mythic' account - which initially they created as your game account with _uo tagged on (not sure what they do with this for new accounts) and your game account.

To be honest, I stay out of the accounts management pages unless absolutely forced to go into them.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So what does the @ sign do? I dont use twitter, face book or any of the other number of things out there now. Its email for me. Thats it. I dont even text.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I concur that the account management page is extremely sloppy and needs a full make over. I also had trouble creating a new account earlier in the year, but was ultimately able to get it done when I asked someone with many accounts to walk me through the process on our TeamSpeak server. Not sure how you could've created a new account no linked with your current EA account. Hopefully someone gets back to you.

However, another reason we don't have many new players is because the game's primary forums here on Stratics are filled with posts that headline "this is why we have no new players". Anyone who has posted frequently on Stratics should know full well that there are account management issues and referred to some of the other threads in Uhall about it first.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Recently on Atlantic there has been a surge of new (brand new) and returning players. I almost felt I lost my newbie status. The guild has added a lot of new players recently.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vaguely recall that Mesanna said she wanted to revamp accounts management. Is there any info out there on where that is on their radar, or if it is?

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another fun little issue with the current account set up...I had a Knights of the Old Republic account tied to my main ea account, tried the game for a month at launch, didn't care for it and then quit. Well, someone tried to hack the SW account a while back resulting in the account being locked, didn't think much of it, until I had to update my payment info for my UO accounts and realized my main ea account had been locked because of the hack attempt on my star wars account. It took a phone call and a little patients to get it all squared away...also...finding the page to update the payment info is not nearly as easy to find as it could be.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I did was www.uo.com Create Account, put the game time code, 2 days later Sampire up and going..confused about the confusion :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Yup, that's why I'm confused. Why am I having issues logging in when I've paid already and everything looks fine except can't login even after doing a password change just to see if that's the issue

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive posted about this before. the 2 majors things they need to fix is the account management and the store. it is amazing the process and headaches u can receive trying to navigate the processes. so many just quit or give up. no comment

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's bad, but I figured it out easy. Come on guys... it's not like they don't know. It's got to be annoying to get harped on like this. It's an old game trying to fit 1990s logic into 2015 security and game controlling features.

Back in the 1990s you could make a new email address every 5 seconds. It's just not the same anymore. Things are complicated and UO isn't able to adapt.

The fact that you can't use special characters in passwords is bad too. I mean it can't be too hard to get people's login info. A lot of MMOs have authenticators now.

Face it... you're playing an outdated game. I'm sure they know the account system is bad. When you tie an old game into a new EA system and then a new account management origin page. It gets ugly.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
First off, I'm a developer and programmer and never thought I would have issues creating a 2nd account but I did. The process from creation to payment to logging in should be fluid and idiot-proof but it wasn't since your username in one area is different from that in your emails and again different in a separate email which only one is the username you choose when you signed up. Those that had no issues , congrats. You escaped the RNG account creation lol

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk