• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I know it gets old, but just being honest...

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm 6 months in and really bored. I'm still digging the plant system and it's complexity... and I love Ma Nerva's player event with Scalis every Sunday. Besides those two things I'm struggling to log in. Everything takes so much time to grind and get.

I don't have time to farm stuff as an adult. That's the biggest killer for me. At first I thought I'd get a paragon chest collection of everything, but that got boring. Then I went to do the turtle until I got a decent turtle pet... The recipes are just more of a grind... No desire to do the roof encounter because it's not soloable.

My fisher got this dang lobster quest which is boring...

My fish tank keeps having "good" events that kill my fish...

I just don't get the allure that keeps people. I'm pretty much keeping my account active to not lose my house on Atlantic that's 18x18.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So many days I log into my castle and stay there until I time out because I'm surfing the internet instead.
I enjoy soloing content, not that I don't like playing with people, but the game itself all the way down to the new expansion doesn't really reward group play. If you need a item, its almost better to just solo it, rather then do 20 medusa's that you gathered keys for, and have your buddy's friend announce excitedly he got the slither, oh and he will sell it to you for 100mill, even though you got all the keys for everyone to be there in the first place...... (true story).
Not to mention, I can be a bit of an PvM elitist. I don't have much patience for bob the returning vet who keeps doing something dumb that gets everyone killed.

My social fix and enjoyment of the game comes mainly from PvP. The PvP world just can't really be explained to someone who refuses to understand it, or who is determined to see it as satan. In PvP I have met the greatest people through the years, and yes my fair share of sexist sociopaths as well... but the good people make it all worth it. They are what keeps me logging into the game. The excitement of large battles laughing in vent with my friends is what really does it for me. Nothing else in UO can even begin to compete with it.

When all else fails.. come to fel. We have cookies =)

Kei

Knight of Kingdom of God
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much the same for me.

The constant search for that perfect armor piece for pvp suit and the thrill of defeating or defeated in pvp is what makes UO worth it for me.

Another thing I do to keep UO fun is helping new players to get into pvp. I myself benefitted from a pvp academy on Oceania way back in 2001. Now I try to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why UO works for me is because it doesn't lead you through the game by your nose, here you can try doing almost anything you want with any combination of skills you choose, and change them over time as you want.

With UO you can find something to do to fit the mood your in. Your not locked into any one playstyle by a characters chosen class. You can log in and tend plants, go dig holes for ore, gather resources, fight easy monsters, or go where Bad Things Play, hunting monsters or players, and more. You have all kinds of options too choose from for what to do while playing this game. It's a wonderful sandbox. :)

I can't relate to the idea of being bored playing UO. There's just to much to do. 18 years of publishes has added a lot to this game. Go out and explore. This world we walk is huge with all kinds of things to discover.

Put on your cloak and pack and go see what you find, or finds you. :p

PurplePotion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I get a case of the 'I'm boreds' too and tend to move on to other games. UO can hold my interest for a while, but I end up amassing a fortune in gold that I never use and then wonder what the purpose of me doing it is. I'm not into gathering rares, I don't like putting together armor as it takes away from the whole player skill experience for me. This time around I'm trying to be more social, and do player events to make the game feel alive like it used too, back when people had to work together. I should mention that I hate doing stuff alone. I've never understood the solo mentality in an MMO. I don't mean that as a strike against anyone, either, I've just never seen the appeal myself. Anyways I think Windows is finally done being ****ty so rant over. ❤

Jack Daniels

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is where you need the variety. I will often log in and hang out shooting the crap and doing stuff with my pvm guild. Then later I will log in and run my pvp'r. I am far from the best pvp'r in the game, and yes I will pray on the poor miners, often rezing them after the kill and not taking their loot. It's just the variety that keep me coming back. And regardless what some trolls say, some of the fel players are some of the great ones to play with

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I rarely do the same thing for more than an hour at a time. I have a pet stall that I stock daily with beetles, swampies, llamas, ostards etc - stuff for non-tamers to ride. I grow plants, currently I'm growing sugar cane, vanilla and cocoa trees. Before I could grow the sugar cane I had to get the seeds. I spend a little time every day in Eodon in hopes of a recipe - the RNG hates me, the last 3 drops have been Aloron armor instead.
I dig maps, I fish mibs, I steal from mobs. There's always something different that I can do.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What keeps me going is the opportunity to indulge in some role-play fairly regularly with others who enjoy it as much as I do. Without that, I doubt I'd still be here.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Part of the issue for me is that the item system is now so bloated and complex that it doesn't matter what sweet artifacts and stuff they add. I'm never making another suit until I absolutely have to. When I made the main suit I have now, I had to bust out a spreadsheet and figure out some crap about reforging that I don't even remember now and I'm not doing it again.

E_T

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I rarely do the same thing for more than an hour at a time. I have a pet stall that I stock daily with beetles, swampies, llamas, ostards etc - stuff for non-tamers to ride. I grow plants, currently I'm growing sugar cane, vanilla and cocoa trees. Before I could grow the sugar cane I had to get the seeds. I spend a little time every day in Eodon in hopes of a recipe - the RNG hates me, the last 3 drops have been Aloron armor instead.
I dig maps, I fish mibs, I steal from mobs. There's always something different that I can do.
The RNG hates me to. Since I started hunting in Eodon, I've gotten probably 7 recipes, but not a single piece of Aloron armor. I've resorted to buying the pieces to make a set.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The RNG hates me to. Since I started hunting in Eodon, I've gotten probably 7 recipes, but not a single piece of Aloron armor. I've resorted to buying the pieces to make a set.
I think it is spot on with my usual luck at gaming. I WANT the recipes therefore all I get is Aloron armor drops very few recipes.

Reactions: E_T

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People need to remember that if you do anything an obsessive amount, even gaming, it will eventually become boring. If you persist for whatever reason, it can begin to feel more like a chore - and you may eventually come to (at least subconsciously) resent it.

Don't play UO for hours on end, day after day because you feel that you have to. Play it to have fun and be with your digital friends.

BUT... Take breaks. Go outside. Talk to those strange people you live with. Don't let the grinding consume you.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you are on Siege, I would love to trade my Aloron armor for recipes :p I'm lucky I only got a few amours

Reactions: E_T

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of the issue for me is that the item system is now so bloated and complex that it doesn't matter what sweet artifacts and stuff they add. I'm never making another suit until I absolutely have to. When I made the main suit I have now, I had to bust out a spreadsheet and figure out some crap about reforging that I don't even remember now and I'm not doing it again.
lets be honest, in any serious game if you want the best, it gets just a tad complicated. that being said i dont think UO is exactly rocket science. i really like the system how it is now. i can make a really good suit to fit my needs, say a basic archer, very easily compared to years ago. for the enthusiast, the 800 skill point templates are realistic now from basic playing, no need for prepatch stuff of 1 of a kind items. i think we're at a pretty good point. While ive never used an actual spreadsheet to make a suit, yes i do usually scribble a few numbers down. just part of modern gaming.

On a side note, brings back memories of when WOW was actually slightly better than trash. last time i thought about going back to wow for another run i saw the site wasnt being updated anymore and looked like itemization had become mindless dribble. no fun so called it quits for good.

my old go-to site for my rogue:
Rogue PVP Armor Chart - ShadowPanther.net
ShadowPanther.net

@Goblin - maybe get into rares collecting, or even spawning / holiday item collecting. fun UO hobby, much more affordable than building a real-life museum of antiquities :)

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
People need to remember that if you do anything an obsessive amount, even gaming, it will eventually become boring. If you persist for whatever reason, it can begin to feel more like a chore - and you may eventually come to (at least subconsciously) resent it.

Don't play UO for hours on end, day after day because you feel that you have to. Play it to have fun and be with your digital friends.

BUT... Take breaks. Go outside. Talk to those strange people you live with. Don't let the grinding consume you.
Best advice ever! :thumbup:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On a side note, brings back memories of when WOW was actually slightly better than trash. last time i thought about going back to wow for another run i saw the site wasnt being updated anymore and looked like itemization had become mindless dribble. no fun so called it quits for good.
:)
OMG and I thought Stratics was dead compared to years ago, WOWs forum is dead for the most part. Good thing they report their total player base as # playing, would love to see their current base.

E_T

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are on Siege, I would love to trade my Aloron armor for recipes :p I'm lucky I only got a few amours
Sorry Freja, not on Siege. If I was, I would definitely trade with you! I've been selling the recipes to for gold to buy the armor with. All I need now is the helm.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree with @Jack Daniels that variety is needed. In addition to that, community and participation.

Every night, our guild runs a different hunt led by a different dedicated hunt leader. Before and after the official hunts, various groups will be running champ spawns, T-mapping together, coordinating trades and suit building, doing the Shadowguard encounters so that we can have a couple of large group do the roof every other day or so. There's just always something. Other times, I will spend time sorting loot and planning my next template or toon to build.

However, all of this also takes community and participating with others. As already pointed out in this thread, there are many encounters and content in this game that is simply not meant to be solo-able. Sure you can run double clients and do the Exodus trick... but what fun is that? Sure you can do Medusa or Dread Horn or some other peerless boss by youself, but what fun is it without bringing another few players along? Maybe you'll find a newer player who needs to be suited up first, or do the entry quest to Stygian Abyss, so on and so forth. Might hold you up a few extra minutes, but theres always something there. We have to pass it forward if we are to keep this game alive by bringing in new players that want to stay. Find a guild with a dedicated TeamSpeak or Ventrillo server. I guarantee you will learn new things and find that having some company to share your game play will make it a lot less boring.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with @Jack Daniels that variety is needed. In addition to that, community and participation.

Every night, our guild runs a different hunt led by a different dedicated hunt leader. Before and after the official hunts, various groups will be running champ spawns, T-mapping together, coordinating trades and suit building, doing the Shadowguard encounters so that we can have a couple of large group do the roof every other day or so. There's just always something. Other times, I will spend time sorting loot and planning my next template or toon to build.

However, all of this also takes community and participating with others. As already pointed out in this thread, there are many encounters and content in this game that is simply not meant to be solo-able. Sure you can run double clients and do the Exodus trick... but what fun is that? Sure you can do Medusa or Dread Horn or some other peerless boss by youself, but what fun is it without bringing another few players along? Maybe you'll find a newer player who needs to be suited up first, or do the entry quest to Stygian Abyss, so on and so forth. Might hold you up a few extra minutes, but theres always something there. We have to pass it forward if we are to keep this game alive by bringing in new players that want to stay. Find a guild with a dedicated TeamSpeak or Ventrillo server. I guarantee you will learn new things and find that having some company to share your game play will make it a lot less boring.
Yup. I'll solo peerless (VERY rarely, it took me 30 minutes+ to do Melisande a while back), Blackthorn Captains, and other stuff, but not often. It's definitely more fun in a group - I had res'd at Ilsh Spirit a few days ago and some people asked for help with Dreadhorn. Told them I'd get my tamer, and off we went. It went down fairly quickly.

Exodus? Before discovering the easy way, I did it with a group of 9-10 people. After that? With one guy, we took our throwers; with the other it was his archer/my thrower. In both scenarios we'd be xhealing throughout the fight, and it took us an average of 10 minutes to kill each time. I would do 2-man runs of Medusa and other bosses with these guys too, like Neira and the Dark Father. Even Shadowguard isn't that difficult, and given the way the bosses work, I actually PREFER a small group for it. For me, the problem is actually finding people willing to do Shadowguard. Gonna shoot you a msg on ICQ about that, since the guys I've run the roof with haven't been on for a few days.

If I see new/returning players, I help 'em out. One guy who was having issues with pet obedience was looking for taming jewels, so I told him to left click himself for vendor search. He was excited about it, which gives you an idea of how long he was away. I also asked him what his skills were, and he said 78 real taming, 89.something Lore. I got on my sampire and gave him a 120 Lore. When he gets his taming skill up I'll probably give him a 120 taming as well.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My goodness You cant find something yo would like to do?
Fishing is good ....
Mining up stone and gems.... try fel...
the turtle spawn.... heck you dont need a maxed out char to do it.... you can even get good gains
the game is loaded with things to do.... it is all in your imaginenation..... let your brain run wild.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In this game it really helps to be a pack-rat.
I always have stuff to do and never actually get around to doing it as i'm constantly pulled on tangents in UO.

ie, I set out to make some carpets....get to Ter mur and see a quest guy wanting some old pottery, off I go....ect. ;)

In all honesty in my whole online gaming life (there when RPG's were just text on a screen) UO is the one I always fall back in love with.....but my my she is a fickle mistress :D

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm 6 months in and really bored. I'm still digging the plant system and it's complexity... and I love Ma Nerva's player event with Scalis every Sunday. Besides those two things I'm struggling to log in. Everything takes so much time to grind and get.

I don't have time to farm stuff as an adult. That's the biggest killer for me. At first I thought I'd get a paragon chest collection of everything, but that got boring. Then I went to do the turtle until I got a decent turtle pet... The recipes are just more of a grind... No desire to do the roof encounter because it's not soloable.

My fisher got this dang lobster quest which is boring...

My fish tank keeps having "good" events that kill my fish...

I just don't get the allure that keeps people. I'm pretty much keeping my account active to not lose my house on Atlantic that's 18x18.
Come try Albion Online!

$30 will buy you a founders pack and closed Beta starts Monday 23rd November. A founders pack will get you access. Looks great.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Craftsman!!!!!!!
We need all the body we can get in UO.....IN UO
i do not doubt albion is a nice game ....30$????
geesh thats 3 months in uo if you get the 3 month token.....well a few bucks more but at this rate who is gunna pancake.*

Look a good mind can create alot to do in uo.... try fishing, or crafting, hey any thing is good in game find a few friends and go take a turtle down....

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Craftsman!!!!!!!
We need all the body we can get in UO.....IN UO
i do not doubt albion is a nice game ....30$????
geesh thats 3 months in uo if you get the 3 month token.....well a few bucks more but at this rate who is gunna pancake.*

Look a good mind can create alot to do in uo.... try fishing, or crafting, hey any thing is good in game find a few friends and go take a turtle down....
If someone is jaded or bored with UO and I know of an alternative that is great fun (and a game like UO in many aspects, better in many more) then why shouldnt I tell them?

And $30 gets you early access to the closed beta (which will probably be 3 months) so its not a bad deal.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
lets be honest, in any serious game if you want the best, it gets just a tad complicated. that being said i dont think UO is exactly rocket science. i really like the system how it is now. i can make a really good suit to fit my needs, say a basic archer, very easily compared to years ago. for the enthusiast, the 800 skill point templates are realistic now from basic playing, no need for prepatch stuff of 1 of a kind items. i think we're at a pretty good point. While ive never used an actual spreadsheet to make a suit, yes i do usually scribble a few numbers down. just part of modern gaming.

my old go-to site for my rogue:
Rogue PVP Armor Chart - ShadowPanther.net
ShadowPanther.net

@Goblin - maybe get into rares collecting, or even spawning / holiday item collecting. fun UO hobby, much more affordable than building a real-life museum of antiquities :)
My WoW gearing experience consisted of equipping each piece of a cookie cutter armor set designed for my class and spec, then going to a website and letting it tell me exactly what gems/enchants/reforges to apply to be mathematically as strong as possible. Executing the website's instructions typically took about ten minutes tops.

Gearing in UO is infinitely more complicated and annoying.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If someone is jaded or bored with UO and I know of an alternative that is great fun (and a game like UO in many aspects, better in many more) then why shouldnt I tell them?

And $30 gets you early access to the closed beta (which will probably be 3 months) so its not a bad deal.
I doubt I'm up to get sucked into another false promise of how wonderful a game is going to be. Been fooled a few times now... fortunately I haven't followed Garriott into any other games. And I sure as shoot didn't give him a dime of my hard earned cash since I started UO. Still bitter he abandoned us and left us to the wolves at EA.

Equally glad I never gave a dime for WoW... and only spent <20 min deciding that game was crap.

Landmark got me. They sold me a lot of false promises... and since then I'm not real keen about falling for any more.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My WoW gearing experience consisted of equipping each piece of a cookie cutter armor set designed for my class and spec, then going to a website and letting it tell me exactly what gems/enchants/reforges to apply to be mathematically as strong as possible. Executing the website's instructions typically took about ten minutes tops.

Gearing in UO is infinitely more complicated and annoying.
hehe, i think thats when i quit : ) sometimes there was blue that was better than purple, and balancing stats was always an issue. when i played my rogue hardcore i had 4 or 5 suits. tank (when you could actually tank weak bosses on a rogue) then pvm, then pure pvp, then world pvp with enough pvm stats to kill stuff efficiently, but enough pvp stats to survive an attack. and then a couple random pvm suits tailored to specific boss encounters. anyway, while i agree theres getting to be too many stats in UO now i think it would be fine if an accurate description were provided somewhere. like last time i talked to kyronix, it was apparent that the devs actually dont know how some of the stats function (specifically the eaters)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
like last time i talked to kyronix, it was apparent that the devs actually dont know how some of the stats function (specifically the eaters)
o_O
Wait, seriously? That's...scary.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
o_O
Wait, seriously? That's...scary.
yes, i agree. and not limited to just eaters. in this case the discussion was on the uselessness of poison eater mod. i said it was useless (becauese it only heals a significant amount for 1 spell in the game - poison strike, which no one uses and not many mobs use) poison ticks, or strangle spell ticks are so low that the heal is insignificant (like if your getting a 6 damage posion tick, it will only proc off the first one, then has to wait on timer. so basically the max damage poison eater will heal is around 2hp every 30 seconds. generally worthless)

His rationale for the value of poison eater mod was "the new mobs do poison damage" I think he thought that physical attack with elemental poison (or any other elemental) would count as that type of eater, while this is not the case. If you attack with a 100% poison damage bow, against someone wearing max poison eater, the poison eater willl never get a proc (i tested after the expansion came out to see if this was changed but its still the same) All physical attacks, no matter what base elemental type are Kinetic eater. He seemed to assume otherwise.

Now, i really like Kyronix. Him and Bleak are the best Devs we have. they do really try, but its also apparent they just dont play enough, or have tested enough to know how alot of the game actually functions. I dont blame them for it, because the staff is skeleton, but it does result in a lower quality overall product than if we had full staff, or staff who knew inside and out every aspect of the game functions.

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be back in UO just as soon as I shake this Fallout 4 fever I seem to have caught ;)
The bonus thing is that I know my account is paid up so even if it's a month before i'm back, I know it's there waiting for my return :D