• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Whispering

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so the other day i had 2 tamers on and both had freshly bonded Turtles and i was going to dig up a Shadow Elemental to train them both on at the same time.
i was struck by the thought that i should try out that new mastery for animal taming - whispering!

so i got the turtles going on the shadow ele and both turtles were pretty much mirror images of each other for everything from stats to skills.
the one tamer switched mastery to taming and put on the whispering and away we went.

fast forward a couple hours later and i checked the pets..... really no difference.
the one had gained a couple more in wrestling but not as much in tactics.

checked again in another couple hours, same deal but opposite, tactics was now a point or 2 higher and wrestle lower.

both turtles capped out at the same time.

my findings are that it took the same time to cap the turtles running the mastery as not.
level 1 mastery so that isnt much but i kinda thought it would have been more substantial.

anyone else experiment with it yet?

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Were you actually activating the mastery? (Hey, gotta ask the simplest question first!) I know at level 1 it's only a buff for what 10 min? And then it has a 60 min cooldown?

So really, if you trained for 2 hours you'd have the buff up for what 20 min? At Level 1 Mastery and your real skill levels in Taming and Lore, what is the percent chance for skill increase?

From the uo.com Wiki.
"The animal tamer attempts to guide their pet on the path of skill gain, increasing the pet’s skill gains based on the tamer’s animal taming skill, animal lore skill, and mastery level. This ability functions similarly to a scroll of alacrity."

At Level 3 Mastery, and my real skill levels (Taming ~102, Lore ~115), I have an 87% chance for skill gain for 10 min, with a 30 min cool down. Looks like at real skill 120 & 120 and a Level 3 Mastery, you would have a 100% skill gain chance for 10 min, with a 30 min cool down. Not bad at that level, but probably way less at Level 1 Mastery and lower real skill levels in Taming and Lore.

I remember at almost these same skill levels and a Level 1 mastery the cool down was 60 min, but I don't remember the skill gain chance.

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have to say that the cooldown on this is way WAY too high. (I have a level 2 havent found a 3 yet)
My cooldown showed 38 minutes. Is this only for people who have a ton of hours to play?

As far as my turtle's gains... capped out meditation really fast and eval was moving nicely.
Tactics and wrestling didn't gain. I figured I had to find something easier to kill than the fully worked up shadow ele that was on atlantic at the time.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im going to experiment with it more once i get a level 3 but the level 1 from my testing was next to nothing for gains over the day of training.

and yes, toggling the mastery then waiting out the cool down and re-toggling, rinse, repeat.
120 all real skills (L33T!)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
at level 3 with 120 taming the timing is 10 minutes active and 20 minutes cooldown. About the only bit of luck I've had in Eodon was getting a level 3 taming primer.
My best egg, however, hatched to be 706 hp, 102.1 magery and registered a pathetic 1.9 on the calculator. Can't win them all I guess.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It took me 3 whisperings to fully train my turtles against shadow eles (Except Anat/Resist/Eval). I would say you didn't check the elementals skills first and just didn't optimize well. I only have the level 1 and the 1 hour cooldown.

Cooldowns for Masteries are unreal for a lot of them, but I actually agree with the Whispering cooldown. It's essentially a SoA... A free pet SoA every hour isn't that bad.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It took me 3 whisperings to fully train my turtles against shadow eles (Except Anat/Resist/Eval). I would say you didn't check the elementals skills first and just didn't optimize well. I only have the level 1 and the 1 hour cooldown.

Cooldowns for Masteries are unreal for a lot of them, but I actually agree with the Whispering cooldown. It's essentially a SoA... A free pet SoA every hour isn't that bad.
i run spread sheets when i train my animals.
i also use disco to keep the SE and my pets within 10 points of each other the entire time - weather that means keeping one discoed and other not, both, or my pet only.
i have over 100 tamers and all of them have stables full of pets all fully trained.
this isnt my first rodeo.

so your saying it took you 3 hours to FULLY TRAIN your turtle?
i call bull.
either that or your turtle must only be GM in wrestle and tact.

either way im running the same experiment right now with 4 turtles this time.
1 using whispering, 3 not.

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i shouldnt say bull.
ive only tried it once.

im running 120 real taming and level 2 mastery.
just kicked it in, ill get back to ya in a couple hours.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i shouldnt say bull.
ive only tried it once.

I trained a turtle and a GD with the help of Masteries. I did not have side by side comparisons but I did notice improvement with whispering. However, there is a catch. It does not simply give you faster gains. It increases the number of points gained when you do gain, but does not seem to do anything to increase the chance of getting gains. So if in the time the mastery is active you there are no gains at all you will see no benefits. But if there are gains, you will see 0.3-0.5 (dont know the actual range) gains instead of 0.1. Perhaps the RNG got you.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
k
so just did a bump.
im running the taming whispering mastery on my one tamer with 120 taming and level 2 mastery.
i just did the whisper and this is what i got for the 4 turtles.
this was over a 11 minute period that the whisper was running for 10 minutes of it.

whisper turtle
wrestle 3.0
tactics 5.4
anat 1.9 (it capped at GM)

turtle 2
wrestle 1.6
tactics 1.3
anat 1.7

turtle 3
wrestle 1.5
tactics 1.0
anat 2.4

turtle 4
wrestle 1.3
tactics 1.7
anat 1.8

so off that bump the whispered pet did more then double on gains.
*eats crow*

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i shouldnt say bull.
ive only tried it once.

Don't bother me at all man. :)

I wasn't saying that in three whisperings he got it. He stayed fighting the Ele between whisperings. But yes. After three whisperings (About 3 hours and 30 minutes if you include the CD and duration) he was at about 110 Wrestling/Tactics and over Legendary Magery.

First whispering took him from 50s to late 70s. 2nd Whispering almost GM'd him. And 3rd Whispering took him to at least 109.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
next bump with whispering.
get up to 100-110 range with the turtles now.

whisper turtle
wrestle 2.5
tactics 4.9
anat CAPPED

turtle 2
wrestle 0.6
tactics 1.9
anat 1.0

turtle 3
wrestle 1.1
tactics 1.1
anat 0.8

turtle 4
wrestle 1.1
tactics 0.8
anat 1.2

so once again more then doubled gains, 4 times in some of the cases over the 10 minute bump with whispering on.

*once again swallows a nicely prepared meal of crow*

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so the above last whisper took place at the 4 hour mark.
so in the 4 hours ive done 3 whispers (missed one at the 3 hour mark)

all the turtles started in around the same skill levels and all of them will cap out in around the same skill level.
here is where they are so far 4 hours in.
as you can see the whispered one has gained 3-10 to 15 points above the others.

so it is working as the sales man stated!

whisper turtle
wrestle 109.6 total gains 60.2
tactics 105.2 total gains 50.3
anat 100 total gains 100

turtle 2
wrestle 106.1 total gains 42.6
tactics 91.1 total gains 37.4
anat 96.5 total gains 96.5

turtle 3
wrestle 99.7 total gains 44.6
tactics 95.4 total gains 39.4
anat 93.8 total gains 93.8

turtle 4
wrestle 94.5 total gains 38.3
tactics 98.6 total gains 36.5
anat 90.3 total gains 90.3

Last edited:

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Poo,

When you're running the Level 2 Mastery with 120 Taming, you're also at 120 Lore right? You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing you are and just didn't say so.

So, at Level 2 Mastery with 120 Taming and Lore, what is your skill gain chance if you mouse over the tooltip?

Petra said a few posts up that at 120 Taming and Level 3 Mastery, the buff was 10 min with 20 min cooldown.
She didn't say her Lore or what her skill gain chance was, but I'm guessing 120 Lore and 100% skill gain.

Just trying to find a comparison to the gains you're seeing with a Level 2 Mastery.

Edit - Just re-read and saw you're running a Level 2 Mastery, not Level 1.
Also, I guess I could check this on Test Center. I just don't want to!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya, 120 taming and lore (natural) with a level 2 mastery

the icon when its active tells me i have 95% chance to increase skill gain and it runs for 10 minutes with a 40 minute cool down.

when i was a level 1 mastery i believe it was a 88% (85?) chance to increase and it was 10 minutes with 1 hour cool down.
i can check this for ya in a bit as i have that exact combo on another shard.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hey Poo,

When you're running the Level 2 Mastery with 120 Taming, you're also at 120 Lore right? You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing you are and just didn't say so.

So, at Level 2 Mastery with 120 Taming and Lore, what is your skill gain chance if you mouse over the tooltip?

Petra said a few posts up that at 120 Taming and Level 3 Mastery, the buff was 10 min with 20 min cooldown.
She didn't say her Lore or what her skill gain chance was, but I'm guessing 120 Lore and 100% skill gain.

Just trying to find a comparison to the gains you're seeing with a Level 2 Mastery.

Edit - Just re-read and saw you're running a Level 2 Mastery, not Level 1.
Also, I guess I could check this on Test Center. I just don't want to!
strange, i just checked and my tamer that is 120/120 with a level 1 mastery also has 95% its just the times that are different.
10 minutes active and a hour recharge.

so 120/120 skills;
Level 1 Mastery 95% 10 minutes active - 60 minutes recharge
Level 2 Mastery 95% 10 minutes active - 40 minutes recharge
Level 3 Mastery 95% 10 minutes active - 20 minutes recharge

anyone try it with 115, 110, 100 and 90???

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
strange, i just checked and my tamer that is 120/120 with a level 1 mastery also has 95% its just the times that are different.
10 minutes active and a hour recharge.

so 120/120 skills;
Level 1 Mastery 95% 10 minutes active - 60 minutes recharge
Level 2 Mastery 95% 10 minutes active - 40 minutes recharge
Level 3 Mastery 95% 10 minutes active - 20 minutes recharge

anyone try it with 115, 110, 100 and 90???
I have 109.8 taming/120 lore, I have a 91% chance of increased skill gains with level 2 Mastery. 10 minute duration, 49-50 minute cooldown (probably 50, but I'm guessing it counts 49:00-49:59 as 49 minutes)

Don't know how much lower skill impacts it, I'd have to go to TC1 to test it.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
huh, interesting!
i didnt realize that you need to be logged in for the timer on this skill to move.
so if you use the whisper and then when its done log out when you log back in the cool down period is still waiting there for ya to eat down.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think ive cracked the code for whispering.
ive been mucking about on TC all day testing different numbers.
what a PAIN!

anyways from what i can tell this is how it breaks down;

the write up states the following -

Whispering – The animal tamer attempts to guide their pet on the path of skill gain, increasing the pet’s skill gains based on the tamer’s animal taming skill, animal lore skill, and mastery level. This ability function similarly to a scroll of alacrity.
so we can gleam that the % of increase of the pets gains are based on 3 attributes as listed above.
  1. animal taming skill
  2. animal lore skill
  3. mastery level

now, from what i can tell 3. Mastery level only effects the cool down period.
so for level 1 you have a hour cool down, level 2 40 minutes and level 3 20 minutes.
so that makes sense, very linear - 20 minutes get knocked off for each wrung up the ladder you go.

now, what makes the % of pet increase chance.
  1. Animal Taming Skill and
  2. Animal Lore Skill
but how do they effect the % is the question.
so i started testing trying different amounts of both skills and working up and down in both and i think i have figured out how the % is calculated.

you must have 90 skill in taming to toggle the mastery.
for having 90 taming and 0 lore you will get 60%
lets call that the base.
so for every 5 points in animal lore you will gain an additional % point, just not the first 5 points.
so the following;
90 taming 0 lore = 60
90 taming 5 lore = 60
90 taming 10 lore = 61 (and we can add another 1% point for every 5 points in animal lore all the way up to 120)
90 taming 120 lore = 83

the increases in taming skill dont seem to be as linear, i think they are using half or 2/3 numbers but it is consistent. so for the lay person we can estimate and it looks as follows;

90 taming 0 lore = 60 (as we have already stated)
95 taming 0 lore = 61
100 taming 0 lore = 63
105 taming 0 lore = 65
110 taming 0 lore = 67
115 taming 0 lore = 69
120 taming 0 lore = 71

so for every 5 points of taming skill over 90 you get 60% plus 2% for every 5 skill points (except the first jump which only gives you 1%.
from there you add your animal lore bonus on from 0-23 points (remember above - 1% for every 5 points)
my raw data.
(the * numbers means i didnt physically check that number but assumed it due to the trend that was going on)

Tame / Lore % chance at pet accelerated gain
90/0 60
90/05 60
90/10 61
90/80 75
90/90 77
90/95 78
90/100 79
90/105 80 *
90/110 81 *
90/115 82 *
90/120 83

95/0 61

100/0 63
100/90 81
100/95 82 *
100/100 83 *
100/105 84 *
100/110 85
100/115 86
100/120 87

105/0 65

110/0 67
110/90 85
110/95 86 *
110/100 87 *
110/105 88 *
110/110 89 *
110/115 90 *
110/120 91

115/0 69

120/0 71
120/90 89
120/95 90 *
120/100 91 *
120/105 92 *
120/110 93 *
120/115 94
120/120 95 = TOP CAP

Last edited:

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad there are people like you in this game that are OCD enough to go figure this stuff out for everyone. Fantastic Job!!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

im not wearing my own underwear.

(thats right, Rain Man!)