• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PK or PVP.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Arguably, it's because they catered to trammel that we have 5 devs left.
Not really the largest UO population was right around AoS. Believe it or not. I believe what killed UO is a number of things like a snowball gaining momentum and turning into a full fledged avalanche effect.

Itemization helped to kill UO... one could argue at the same time that it was insurance..... but the two seem to go hand in hand. Artifacts etc.... it's like many games you change it to items and everyone wants more more more more more..... and they are never satisfied..... Then you raise the mobs because people cry that everything is too easy.... but then things are too hard again and you give more and more and more weapons specials, and crap till once again sht's too easy and you have to make the mobs harder and you dump on more HP and more specials on the mobs but then everyone cries it's too hard... vicious cycle there you see....

But then we have forgotten the game was about community... but they killed that when they gave us repair deeds and took away the need to interact with other players.. who needed a crafter to help when I can just get a deed somewhere.... the more they took away from the community the more folk forgot that they were actually playing with REAL people on the other side of the globe or street or State or what have you.... it's just pixels...

Add to it those years we spend where paging a GM was like a crap shoot maybe they helped you maybe they didn't spend weeks on end with a character stucks somewhere and see if you keep playing, can't reup your sub because the website is wonky..... you had an account for 10 years and someone knew some of your info and customer service gave it to them.. they wiped it in 20 min it took you to argue back your account and they wiped your characters and never want to see UO again.... and then the people that lured you to fel and took everything you had by using some exploit and they laughed while you cried... but EA did nothing..... someone hacked your account and EA did nothing to help.... so many people gone...

And then the fact that EA moved the UO office 4x now and gutted the "Team" making things confusing for players and I'm sure DEV's alike.... and the fact that the DEVs teams went through all sorts of shake ups that had things turning in so many different directions that we now have at least 3 different quest systems and 100's of really confusing systems in place that don't seem to fit together at all... no matter how you try.

Age took some away.... the kid left home and now has to be an adult and pay bills can't afford internet let alone a game... Yuppies got married and had kids don't have time to game and the "wife" "Hubby" refuses to let you touch that freaking game!!! Because now you gotta be responsible!!!!!!

And then there is the "Graphics"..... as UO is in the time warp stuck in the 90's while many other games offer such "amazing" graphics others are sucked away by the pretty pictures (which I still say pretty pictures make a nice distraction but do NOT make a game"....

But community used to be what UO had... Friends. Very close friends... but over the years we have lost so many of those... Then were the Drama Queens, the as I like to refer to them.... the SheWolf.... who joins a guild pits the males against one another and drives off all the other females she see's as a Threat..... The I was in the MIlitiary you should excuse my rude asshat behavior because i can PvP and you can't... I know more about this game than you because I know how to beat you over and over and over again this gives me the right to act like a punk... guys who drive off most folk with any self worth and dignity and leave the frail who are too horrified to quit.... or those who need the asshat to be in the guild so they can get the stuffs... but don't care that the rest of the guild left....

And you put those social psychopaths into a community like UO and soon well... you have what we have now. A community of social Psychopaths who feel the need to toot their horn at everything and everyone.... And eventually they are all you will have left... Because the sane folk abandoned the sinking garbage barge long ago like rats scattering to the wind or cockroaches fleeing the light.

Sadly at this point with all those who won't help people, who harrass and ridicule everyone asking any questions at all rather than take a min or two to help someone... we have created a bed that is quite unwelcoming. So we made our bed... why are we crying when we have to lie in it... it's now become so overly complicated reminds me of how my brother would take a simple game and add so many silly rules to it that it just isn't fun anymore. That's what's happening with UO and has happened over the years.....

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not really the largest UO population was right around AoS. Believe it or not. I believe what killed UO is a number of things like a snowball gaining momentum and turning into a full fledged avalanche effect.

Itemization helped to kill UO... one could argue at the same time that it was insurance..... but the two seem to go hand in hand. Artifacts etc.... it's like many games you change it to items and everyone wants more more more more more..... and they are never satisfied..... Then you raise the mobs because people cry that everything is too easy.... but then things are too hard again and you give more and more and more weapons specials, and crap till once again sht's too easy and you have to make the mobs harder and you dump on more HP and more specials on the mobs but then everyone cries it's too hard... vicious cycle there you see....

But then we have forgotten the game was about community... but they killed that when they gave us repair deeds and took away the need to interact with other players.. who needed a crafter to help when I can just get a deed somewhere.... the more they took away from the community the more folk forgot that they were actually playing with REAL people on the other side of the globe or street or State or what have you.... it's just pixels...

Add to it those years we spend where paging a GM was like a crap shoot maybe they helped you maybe they didn't spend weeks on end with a character stucks somewhere and see if you keep playing, can't reup your sub because the website is wonky..... you had an account for 10 years and someone knew some of your info and customer service gave it to them.. they wiped it in 20 min it took you to argue back your account and they wiped your characters and never want to see UO again.... and then the people that lured you to fel and took everything you had by using some exploit and they laughed while you cried... but EA did nothing..... someone hacked your account and EA did nothing to help.... so many people gone...

And then the fact that EA moved the UO office 4x now and gutted the "Team" making things confusing for players and I'm sure DEV's alike.... and the fact that the DEVs teams went through all sorts of shake ups that had things turning in so many different directions that we now have at least 3 different quest systems and 100's of really confusing systems in place that don't seem to fit together at all... no matter how you try.

Age took some away.... the kid left home and now has to be an adult and pay bills can't afford internet let alone a game... Yuppies got married and had kids don't have time to game and the "wife" "Hubby" refuses to let you touch that freaking game!!! Because now you gotta be responsible!!!!!!

And then there is the "Graphics"..... as UO is in the time warp stuck in the 90's while many other games offer such "amazing" graphics others are sucked away by the pretty pictures (which I still say pretty pictures make a nice distraction but do NOT make a game"....

But community used to be what UO had... Friends. Very close friends... but over the years we have lost so many of those... Then were the Drama Queens, the as I like to refer to them.... the SheWolf.... who joins a guild pits the males against one another and drives off all the other females she see's as a Threat..... The I was in the MIlitiary you should excuse my rude asshat behavior because i can PvP and you can't... I know more about this game than you because I know how to beat you over and over and over again this gives me the right to act like a punk... guys who drive off most folk with any self worth and dignity and leave the frail who are too horrified to quit.... or those who need the asshat to be in the guild so they can get the stuffs... but don't care that the rest of the guild left....

And you put those social psychopaths into a community like UO and soon well... you have what we have now. A community of social Psychopaths who feel the need to toot their horn at everything and everyone.... And eventually they are all you will have left... Because the sane folk abandoned the sinking garbage barge long ago like rats scattering to the wind or cockroaches fleeing the light.

Sadly at this point with all those who won't help people, who harrass and ridicule everyone asking any questions at all rather than take a min or two to help someone... we have created a bed that is quite unwelcoming. So we made our bed... why are we crying when we have to lie in it... it's now become so overly complicated reminds me of how my brother would take a simple game and add so many silly rules to it that it just isn't fun anymore. That's what's happening with UO and has happened over the years.....
I was actually just playing devils advocate but I appreciate the amount of time you spent replying to it.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arguably, it's because they catered to trammel that we have 5 devs left.
You know, I played Felucca for a long time, even after Trammel came out. Really wasn't interested in Trammel. I just saw it as too easy. Actually I still do. However, I can understand how people feel who put time into something, only to have it taken away with nothing gained. Why bother to start over? Why not just go find something else to do that you enjoy? And many did.

I was never really good at PvP, but I played my ass off. I got killed a lot. A - LOT. heh. Probably would be insta death for me in Felucca now.

And Siege just scares me. But that's largely because Kelmo is there. :sad3:

Catering to Trammel....hmm, I trying to think of successful MMO's that haven't catered to the Trammel style of play. Eve Online is about the only one I know of and even it is a lot safer than Felucca ever was. (Seriously - no joke -, Felucca was gonzo banana's in the beginning.)

Shadowbane closed, Darkfall is gone, seems there were others. (One where player names weren't visible and people could just hide in the grass and ambush you - that might have been Darkfall.) But basically, the Trammel style ruleset is what the majority of players/customers wanted (throughout gaming, not just in UO), so that is where development went. If the UO team had catered to just the Felucca ruleset, UO would probably be where Shadowbane and Darkfall are now. Some games, designs, and studios did try build those true open Felucca style rulesets, but they just don't seem to be popular enough to be sustainable financially. (I see Darkfall Unholy Wars is (re)launching for a second try, we'll see how it goes.)

I like Felucca (And Siege!) being in UO. It gives you the chance to go into that much more dangerous of an area. It's a rush. It really is a high level end game. A lot of games don't even have the option to get that high up in the difficulty meter. I'm glad UO does. But I also realize Trammel and it's playstyles are necessary to keep UO open and running.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You know, I played Felucca for a long time, even after Trammel came out. Really wasn't interested in Trammel. I just saw it as too easy. Actually I still do. However, I can understand how people feel who put time into something, only to have it taken away with nothing gained. Why bother to start over? Why not just go find something else to do that you enjoy? And many did.

I was never really good at PvP, but I played my ass off. I got killed a lot. A - LOT. heh. Probably would be insta death for me in Felucca now.

And Siege just scares me. But that's largely because Kelmo is there. :sad3:

Catering to Trammel....hmm, I trying to think of successful MMO's that haven't catered to the Trammel style of play. Eve Online is about the only one I know of and even it is a lot safer than Felucca ever was. (Seriously - no joke -, Felucca was gonzo banana's in the beginning.)

Shadowbane closed, Darkfall is gone, seems there were others. (One where player names weren't visible and people could just hide in the grass and ambush you - that might have been Darkfall.) But basically, the Trammel style ruleset is what the majority of players/customers wanted (throughout gaming, not just in UO), so that is where development went. If the UO team had catered to just the Felucca ruleset, UO would probably be where Shadowbane and Darkfall are now. Some games, designs, and studios did try build those true open Felucca style rulesets, but they just don't seem to be popular enough to be sustainable financially. (I see Darkfall Unholy Wars is (re)launching for a second try, we'll see how it goes.)

I like Felucca (And Siege!) being in UO. It gives you the chance to go into that much more dangerous of an area. It's a rush. It really is a high level end game. A lot of games don't even have the option to get that high up in the difficulty meter. I'm glad UO does. But I also realize Trammel and it's playstyles are necessary to keep UO open and running.
I almost read all of this.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree! It's nice to have a civilized conversation/debate. I've always enjoyed the pvp - hunt and be hunted aspect that I first learned about in UO. I now play four other pvp oriented games as well. My favorite part of pvp is ambushing someone.

One a side note. I always feel it is worthwhile to respect your opponent as a PK or PvPer. I'm ok with friends banter, but I hate when people try to belittle, or make it personal. I always bow or salute a worthy foe, win or lose.
What are the other PvP oriented games you play?

PurplePotion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Team fortress 2, H1z1, and I pvp on wow.

I used to play on the pvp server on eq2, and nether before they dried up too.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Team fortress 2, H1z1, and I pvp on wow.

I used to play on the pvp server on eq2, and nether before they dried up too.
Nether?

I've done a bunch of Medal of Honor, actually got ok at the sniping. Tried some old west action with Red Dead, which was great for style points, but I just don't have the skillz. Never tried Team Fortress, H1Z1, or WoW.

Have tried some Gears of War, but boy do I suck at it.

Absolutely love Tom Clancy's Vegas 2. Great game. Awesome PvP.

Never have had the adrenaline rush like in UO though.

PurplePotion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
H1z1 is a still being worked PVP zombie Apocalypse game. Its got a decent amount of craftables and you have to scavenge goods to start. Even better (sometimes) is that when you die, you lose all your items and are deposited in a new and random location. It gives you actual incentive to stay alive. This is a First/Third sorta person shooter/hack and slash.

Team Fortress 2 is more of a PVP carnival. Its just a great de-stressing pvp game. Its free on steam so its worth checking out if your into cartoony fun mini games pvp. This is a 1st person shooter.

Nether was a beta game, alot like H1z1 except instead of zombies it had demonic creatures. Its been up and down so I've given up on it for now. And yet another first person shooter.

WoW is just wow. I enjoy it for the battlegrounds and the fact that if you get a group that works like a team, you have a great time. I've never tried any of the games you have mentioned, but I may have to check them out too! 1st and third person pvp.

I also play FFXIV but the pvp in that game is terrible. I just can't get past how unbalanced and wonky it is.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
First off. UO is not dead. So stop referring to what "killed" it.
Secondly, saying that PKs ruined UO is like saying salt ruined butter. You can have it without, but it's just not as good.
Finally, noobs.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Would have read this post if not for the " I believe what killed UO ". I stopped reading there just out of sheer inaccurate reporting.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hanging out with me is the most exciting/thrilling activity in UO. Ask anyone. :ten:

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To answer PvP implies that you are in it for the skill, tactics and art of the sport. To claim PK basically means one is happy slaughtering anyone, regardless of skill. I have seen many of these "PK'ers" who call them self as such and then only run around with mass numbers, killing anyone with less skill or numbers than them.... and then when the field is leveled and both sides have their numbers, the so called "PK'ers" are afraid to play the game. It is sort of a microcosm of the social/mental aspect of the human mind's desire to rank one's self higher than another by show of mass force, while being extremely scared of losing. We have this issue on Catskills. People claim to have "skill" and exclaim that they "own" the shard, but only when they have an obvious advantage are they willing to participate.

Take that advantage away by either matching numbers or overriding them with skill shows you who the true pvpers are. Generally the PK'ers will want to "do something else" during such situations as the loss to their ego is far too much to withstand.

There is another aspect I would like to mention involving those who use the 3rd party programs and client modifications. Those who do are using literally every advantage given to them. When those people get defeated.... watch out. If you have never seen true anger before, drop a team of speeding scripters using good old fashioned teamwork and tactics and watch the rage-logs begin. Those are the coffee mug throwers, the screamers and the crybabies. My advice to anyone is; if you don't want to ruin pvp for yourself, don't use any of those tools. The feeling of accomplishment by those doing it the right way is far more satisfying than those doing it the wrong way.

Just a little piece of information that I think some may benefit from. :D

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To answer PvP implies that you are in it for the skill, tactics and art of the sport. To claim PK basically means one is happy slaughtering anyone, regardless of skill. I have seen many of these "PK'ers" who call them self as such and then only run around with mass numbers, killing anyone with less skill or numbers than them.... and then when the field is leveled and both sides have their numbers, the so called "PK'ers" are afraid to play the game. It is sort of a microcosm of the social/mental aspect of the human mind's desire to rank one's self higher than another by show of mass force, while being extremely scared of losing. We have this issue on Catskills. People claim to have "skill" and exclaim that they "own" the shard, but only when they have an obvious advantage are they willing to participate.

Take that advantage away by either matching numbers or overriding them with skill shows you who the true pvpers are. Generally the PK'ers will want to "do something else" during such situations as the loss to their ego is far too much to withstand.

There is another aspect I would like to mention involving those who use the 3rd party programs and client modifications. Those who do are using literally every advantage given to them. When those people get defeated.... watch out. If you have never seen true anger before, drop a team of speeding scripters using good old fashioned teamwork and tactics and watch the rage-logs begin. Those are the coffee mug throwers, the screamers and the crybabies. My advice to anyone is; if you don't want to ruin pvp for yourself, don't use any of those tools. The feeling of accomplishment by those doing it the right way is far more satisfying than those doing it the wrong way.

Just a little piece of information that I think some may benefit from. :D
It's like that on LS too. I don't mind fighting outnumbered at all, since it's a good teaching tool, but when you constantly have to fight one guild that has 6+ people a lot of the time, what's the point? In one recent Despise fight, they had SIXTEEN people fighting 7 (on occasion, they've even had more - there was one Harrower some time ago where they had 25, although I believe that number included people who were dual-clienting to kill the Harrower.) Most of the time, if I die: I res, restock, drink stat pot, get pet res if needed (or use my ethy if necessary), and continue fighting.

As for the thread's question, I'm a bit of both, with more emphasis on "PvP"; that said, I will PK people even now, but I don't do it very often...mostly because the opportunity doesn't arise as much as it used to, nor is it fun to kill people who aren't capable of defending themselves (although I will do so over & over if I'm pissed off enough.) I did it earlier in Fel Blackthorn since I wanted to farm for a bit on my sampire (came back on my mage to kill the guy who was there), and the guy came back on an alt to kill me...but he lured spawn instead JUST to erase the possibility of taking a murder count. Really? That wasn't the first time it happened to me either.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.... and then when the field is leveled ....... the so called "PK'ers" are afraid to play the game.
Much like when there's a new patch you never see certain guilds and/or players logging on for a few days. Wonder why? :p

When those people get defeated.... watch out. If you have never seen true anger before, drop a team of speeding scripters using good old fashioned teamwork and tactics and watch the rage-logs begin. Those are the coffee mug throwers, the screamers and the crybabies.
Don't forget these players also go through mouse and keyboards pretty fast, lol.

drcossack said:
I don't mind fighting outnumbered at all, since it's a good teaching tool, but when you constantly have to fight one guild that has 6+ people a lot of the time, what's the point?
Having played in a few large PvP guilds, I can't fault them for a show of numbers. It's pretty hard to say,
"Hey guys, you wait at the guild house while we go raid". Everyone should be able to join in and play, even though I do get your point :).

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvPers are after the challenge, Pkers are in it for the easy slaughter so they can rave about how manly studs like them with super armor and super weapons slaughtered your normal clothing wearing shovel holding crafting skilled Miner showing what mighty kick ass Leets they are.*laughs*

Respected Warriors and ashats, two different breeds of character.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was a head phone flinger.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To put it simply; PvPers fight other PvP chars, PKs will fight anyone who isn't a friend or ally.

I consider myself to be both. I love a good fight against another PvPer because of the challenge, there's nothing else in UO (or in any other game for that matter) that can give you a challenge and be as unpredictable like another human can. On the other hand, I take great pleasure in crashing spawns and PKing random helpless newbies whenever they appear in Fel. It's nothing personal (as many victims seem to think it is), it's just Fel. Risk vs reward.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having played in a few large PvP guilds, I can't fault them for a show of numbers. It's pretty hard to say,
"Hey guys, you wait at the guild house while we go raid". Everyone should be able to join in and play, even though I do get your point :).
Nor can I, since I've been in them as well, and was even in the guild I mentioned earlier, until there were some...issues with one of the members.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct. Since we "fixed" that "un-fun" (lol) stuff 16 years ago.
First off. UO is not dead. So stop referring to what "killed" it.
Secondly, saying that PKs ruined UO is like saying salt ruined butter. You can have it without, but it's just not as good.
Finally, noobs.
Hanging out with me is the most exciting/thrilling activity in UO. Ask anyone. :ten:
Ah Flutters, so domineering, and with a whip.
You know that playstyle only appeals to a portion of the population.....

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In pre-Trammel UO I used to enjoy luring people down into the Brit sewers or outside of town to find a "special treasure" only to turn on them and attack. For some reason I always enjoyed it more when they would fight back and win. I also used to enjoyed when people would pull similar, more elaborate PK pranks on me. I'll take dying to a person over dying to monsters any day. I do also enjoy group fights or 1 on 1 as long as they are fair. I hate being on either side of gank attacks.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Well... Ganks are just not what they used to be. I remember the thundering herd of PKs that were VMP, Orcs and some few others.

Then there were Greater Dragons and cheap faction artifacts. That was pretty much the end of PvP for me. I just never seemed to be able to keep up.

shakes head Seems the game has gotten more complicated as I become more simple. I am actually getting back out there... Trying to anyway. My job had gotten very complicated. Some days my play time is measured in minutes. I may soon have Sundays back and I can do the fun and friendly VvV battles in the early afternoons.

I hope so anyway.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I remember the thundering herd of PKs that were VMP, Orcs and some few others.
That was nothing vs early Siege, where we had a lot large red guilds, sadly I forgot alot

Cove bay Pirates (8X)
Shadowclan Orcs (Orc)
The Undead (UND)
The Glowember Merchants (*G*)
The NEW born of SP (NEW) The first NEW guild started of Luxor
Citizens of Wispwood Shire (SWC)
Delucia Trade Association (DTA)
Brotherhood i Honor (BiH)
The Undead Lords (UDL)
Criminal Element (CE)
The Choosen Gardians (GC)
Faithness (-F-)