• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mesanna's Halloween Event

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I try really hard not to complain too much about our DEV team but this event has really irked me with Mesanna. I play 2 shards and missed the event on one of them yesterday. I have tried to be logged in as much as time allowed me over the last few weeks to try and not miss this event. The time I have to log out to actually try and spend time with my family, I miss it.

I know what problem would happen if these type of events were announced, but can't she maybe put up a clicky for the lower item (rotten pumpkin) for those that miss the event due to timing issues?

Am I asking for too much for her to consider we all can't play 24/7. :(

I will most likely miss my 2nd shard as well due to my time for the rest of this week and next week being limited even more in game. *sigh*

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I try really hard not to complain too much about our DEV team but this event has really irked me with Mesanna. I play 2 shards and missed the event on one of them yesterday. I have tried to be logged in as much as time allowed me over the last few weeks to try and not miss this event. The time I have to log out to actually try and spend time with my family, I miss it.

I know what problem would happen if these type of events were announced, but can't she maybe put up a clicky for the lower item (rotten pumpkin) for those that miss the event due to timing issues?

Am I asking for too much for her to consider we all can't play 24/7. :(

I will most likely miss my 2nd shard as well due to my time for the rest of this week and next week being limited even more in game. *sigh*
That's unfortunate. These events are eluded by many though, you just gotta be logged in at the right time...=/

Yes, a clicky would probably be the best bet for such an event, even if it's only up for 2-5 minutes, the thing needs to be Big enough for people to see (unblockable by polymorphed/summons), 2-5 minutes may not be enough time for people to bring several characters (which I assume is the reason they don't want to do clickies)...

Which shard(s) are you talking about ?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
what shard was mesanna on yesterday? is she just showing up unannounced? if that's the case, i can't think of a better way to alienate the player base.
Get used to it. Seems to be the norm anymore. I was lucky enough to be able to go to the one on GLs. But there were so many of my friends who never got the chance.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was the least fun Halloween ever for me.
Not one new TOT item. Not even named jacks.

She said she would come &
I was stupid enough to think everyone would get a chance at some fun & a new item.

I saw the dice event happen and some of her others. I sure should have known better.
If you do not have a network that messages as soon as she shows or happen to be on when red chat appears you are out of luck.

So for the past few weeks we wait at the Luna back for her. On two shards, one of us is a look out. Dual clients.

Why not a clicky that gives a random chance at the rose or the pumpkin. You die and have one or the other in your pack.
One per account.

She can also do her rock star appearance for those who did not use the clicky. That way her fans can see her.

I am telling you Mesanna, as nice as I can. Player to player. It may not even matter to you, maybe it does. Every time you do this, you take some UO life out of me. I kept quiet about what I have seen over the years. Not this time. No.

Anyone that thinks I am whining I really do not care.

If you are going to reward paying players with a new toy and some fun do it. Do not pretend to.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with the posters who say this type of thing needs a different method of distribution.

Showing up on a shard at some random time and opening a gate for 10 minutes is completely and utterly disrespectful to the rest of the player base who doesn't happen to be logged in at that exact moment.

Posting an advanced schedule just end up bringing every player from most shards on multiple accounts... Which leads to lines several hours long.

IMO neither works well.

I would propose something along the lines of a random mini em style event run by mesanna with a clicky put out at the end that lasts 24 hours. 1 per account, with a normal drop for say 90%, a semi rare drop for 9%, and a rare drop for 1%.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I always feel fortunate when ever I happen to run into one of the Devs. It does not happen often.

I feel Mesanna should never announce ahead of time. It would spoil the whole thing.

What would be real cool though is if Mesanna just popped in to some player events or in game player meetings, if only for a few moments. That would be really cool.

I will never forget the time when what's his name (*winks*) showed up at my Iantown pub for some meeting we were having. It was over a decade ago and also the first time I saw a character jump off a roof.

There are lots of things that make up my day. UO is just one of the things I do, and I typically do not schedule game time anymore. I just appreciate it when I can.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like instead of looking forward to a visit by the Pope I should hope to see the image of Jesus in my toast with peanut butter.

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
maybe next time , like for next halloween she could just make all towns invaded by different mobs, all having a unique halloween drop...with a like 1 in 1000 chance.....you could spend sun up to sun down farming what ever you wanted , but only for halloween day......then everyone would have a shot at something. it could be like all one graphic just in different colors or something....rat men in vesper have red pumpkins with black eyes, lich lords in yew have black pumpkins with purple eyes....that sort of thing

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the random Dev appearances. I don't think it should be announced at all. Announcing it will lead to 200+ people with 3 accounts each trying to get the rare whatever it is....

The problem I have is using this as a substitute for fun Halloween content. Dev's visiting is great and all, but I would much prefer going to grind out some new halloween content, and have a chance at getting whatever the cool drop is anytime of day.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem I have is using this as a substitute for fun Halloween content. Dev's visiting is great and all, but I would much prefer going to grind out some new halloween content, and have a chance at getting whatever the cool drop is anytime of day.
Which to be fair, they probably had no time for due to the expansion.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was the least fun Halloween ever for me.
Not one new TOT item. Not even named jacks.

She said she would come &
I was stupid enough to think everyone would get a chance at some fun & a new item.

I saw the dice event happen and some of her others. I sure should have known better.
If you do not have a network that messages as soon as she shows or happen to be on when red chat appears you are out of luck.

So for the past few weeks we wait at the Luna back for her. On two shards, one of us is a look out. Dual clients.

Why not a clicky that gives a random chance at the rose or the pumpkin. You die and have one or the other in your pack.
One per account.

She can also do her rock star appearance for those who did not use the clicky. That way her fans can see her.

I am telling you Mesanna, as nice as I can. Player to player. It may not even matter to you, maybe it does. Every time you do this, you take some UO life out of me. I kept quiet about what I have seen over the years. Not this time. No.

Anyone that thinks I am whining I really do not care.

If you are going to reward paying players with a new toy and some fun do it. Do not pretend to.
I agree with you completely Cyrah!! I love UO. I play on a rotten connection and still love it. I have played a long time. I wish I could play many hours a week but I can't. I miss all of these things it seems. Why is that? How bad can it be to allow everyone a chance to get a rotten pumpkin? Are we here to create rares for the few or to allow everyone to benefit from an ingame event. I just don't get it. I don't understand why so many opportunities to get the player base excited are missed. I am speaking of no collections this year, nothing new at Halloween, dull bags all the same for the gifts. Where did all those lovely neon boxes go? We can never have them again? Why not? I know another rant, you don't have to tell me but I just don't get it. Thank you for listening.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the random Dev appearances. I don't think it should be announced at all. Announcing it will lead to 200+ people with 3 accounts each trying to get the rare whatever it is....

Funny, that managed to happen on Great Lakes anyway.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont feel bad about missing the events... this is after all a game and most of you who have family/work/prior commitments is way more valuable in your time. Dont get me wrong UO has a value which is enjoyment and stress relief... of those importent times.
I am sorry you missed out... I did as well on origin. Yes a clicky thingy for a small tidbit for the season would have been nice......
BUT....
Think of all the work they have put in on this publish which you got free... FREE not 29.99 or 19.99 FREE
We have also gotten a 18th anni bag of something I think is wonderfull.
Soon new Rewards will be added, and the holliday items...Christmas is not that bloody far off.....

Given the dedication of our Dark Lady in her efforts to make this game what its evolving back to our roots.
I for one give her credit to even give us this small effort after all she has done these past few months...
She has family too... that deserve her attention as well.
I am happy with what we have...
Family and friends which i hope you share your love and happyness with and the fun you have playing UO.
Not everything is about trinkets...

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont feel bad about missing the events... this is after all a game and most of you who have family/work/prior commitments is way more valuable in your time. Dont get me wrong UO has a value which is enjoyment and stress relief... of those importent times.
I am sorry you missed out... I did as well on origin. Yes a clicky thingy for a small tidbit for the season would have been nice......
BUT....
Think of all the work they have put in on this publish which you got free... FREE not 29.99 or 19.99 FREE
We have also gotten a 18th anni bag of something I think is wonderfull.
Soon new Rewards will be added, and the holliday items...Christmas is not that bloody far off.....

Given the dedication of our Dark Lady in her efforts to make this game what its evolving back to our roots.
I for one give her credit to even give us this small effort after all she has done these past few months...
She has family too... that deserve her attention as well.
I am happy with what we have...
Family and friends which i hope you share your love and happyness with and the fun you have playing UO.
Not everything is about trinkets...
Well said. If some people are so upset then leave uo. More stuff for the rest of us that appreciate all the stuff the dev team does for us. Remember the dev team is small and have a lot on their plate.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I have always hated events, I especially dislike what they have become. Give me static quests and stuff any day. I get that they didn't have time with the expansion, though.

Jack Daniels

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Darn did someone not get their free handout?? Maybe we had better cancel all events from now on, these events are just ruining the game. Since I don't care about events they shouldn't happen............. OMG I sound like a trammie talking about PvP lol

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which to be fair, they probably had no time for due to the expansion.
lets do the math. 27 shards. about an hour per mesanna event. im sure in 27 hours a simple, fun quest with a rare drop or good reward could have been created. if the excuse was "there was no time because of the expansion" the x-pac should have been delayed 3 days (average length of work day) the delay would have been well worth at least some type of new halloween content. Many players in my guild have not been doing expansion content at all, arent really excited about it, but are asking whats new for halloween. being one of the largest guilds on Atlantic, i think its a fair observation of whats important to most players around this time of year.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
lets do the math. 27 shards. about an hour per mesanna event. im sure in 27 hours a simple, fun quest with a rare drop or good reward could have been created. if the excuse was "there was no time because of the expansion" the x-pac should have been delayed 3 days (average length of work day) the delay would have been well worth at least some type of new halloween content. Many players in my guild have not been doing expansion content at all, arent really excited about it, but are asking whats new for halloween. being one of the largest guilds on Atlantic, i think its a fair observation of whats important to most players around this time of year.
Id be okay with no expansions if they created new content around the holidays while working on pvp.

One can dream can't they?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Many players in my guild have not been doing expansion content at all, arent really excited about it
Oh I see I'm not only one then. Seems to me to be mainly a competition for turtle eggs to sell before their value drops. Yawn, not worth the energy.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gee, wonder if she will do this for all the other shards like she just said on Baja.. or just favorites now? And yes she is referring to another dice game there.

mesanna.JPG

PurplePotion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've never been a fan of game moderated events and have always favored player events by far. I've never held an interest in deco items though and have always preferred the experiences during events and the spirit of teamwork, mainly during player run events as most em events always seemed to be 'me me me' events. Things may have changed since the last time I've joined an em event but from the forums and the chat in the game, I think not.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I see I'm not only one then. Seems to me to be mainly a competition for turtle eggs to sell before their value drops. Yawn, not worth the energy.
The real money comes from Shadowguard, but it also takes a while to do all of the rooms + the roof. The turtle spawn takes much less time, and if you do it often enough, you're gonna get eggs.

I sold 4-5 eggs + some other stuff since coming back after 5 months, and made 60 mil. I'd say about half of that came just from selling turtle eggs.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This isn't really a big deal. Over the years the amount of events I've missed probably equates to 95%.

You're always going to have someone who says it wasn't fair they didn't get the pixel crack.

If I were to get it i'd just sell it and I could care less about the gold.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I missed it on Atlantic myself. And you know what? BFD. It's really not a giant issue.

The developer's have limited resources and we have one too many shards. If she announced the time for every shard... other people would complain that the time didn't work for them. Then others who show up to the event would complain that she didn't stay for long enough and they didn't get a chance to play the silly game and get a silly piece of pixel crack. Then others would find SOME OTHER reason to complain. It never ends.

Let's review the month of October:
They came out with an expansion this month, with new content, a new facet, new masteries, housing updates, etc.
There is a special, month-long Doom event going on.
They are still doing EM events once a week.
While they may not have announced the timing of these special Mesanna-shard Halloween showings, she still took the time to do them.

Honestly, what else do some of you really want and expect around here?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
World Wide events supported by Lore and a Live Team. Let the players make their own fun events and if a Dev or EM wants to drop by without handing out free stuff, then great.
Exactly this. We all pay the same subscription so should all have access to equal content. That does not mean that every player will get to go to every event due to their own personal circumstances but run world wide events at same time/day schedule on all shards (mix it up some dif times/days for dif events ie not everything on a Mon night at 7pm some on weekends, afternoons, evenings just advertised well in advance etc) and if you can go you go, if you can't you can't. At least everyone can see when it is on and if they can attend they do.

If you are on a non american shard you never get zip in this regard. Can't say I have ever heard of time Mesanna visited our shard and done all the stuff she does on the US ones. Maybe she has and I missed it and never heard of it at all, but the fact I haven't shows just how rare an occurence it must of been if it ever happened.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well honestly I can really understand where Mesanna is coming from. If it was advertised then every Xsharder in the game would be there and those who "live" on that shard wouldn't have a chance...

However this brings me to wondering why in the heck they made stealables shardbound now??? What the frell so now I can't decide to move since half my stuff will be stuck on my current shard.... so I have to sell it but there is a cap on how much gold I can put in my secure transfer to go to another shard.. so again I'm screwed... So what I'm now bound to the shard I'm on permanently or I have to give up most my things just to move?

If they were going to make ANYTHING Shard bound and she's so worried about feeding the greed... Then why aren't EM items shard bound? That would make more sense... Honestly what the hell someone on another shard gives a crap about an event on my shard I really just don't see... Making stealables shardbound is one of the lamest decisions ever IMO. Stealables aren't even worth much... in 2 to 3 years everyone will have so many they won't even pick them up anymore because there won't be anyone to sell them to.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everything is shard bound where I play.
Exactly but then so are you. Bound to that one shard continuously... but the rest of us are not, yet they wish to treat us as if we are.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
An impromptu Dev's visit is a special thing and personally I don't think should be announced at all. They DO need to visit more often I think - join in with the players on a day-to-day basis. I suspect a few of them do with alt-accounts and no-name characters. For all we know that Joe Schmoe who shows up at a champ is Mesanna or Bleak or Kyronix. We just dunno, do we?

But "official" visits on shards from the Dev team would really start to mend some of the damaged bridges that have sprung up over the years. EMs are all fine and dandy... and they walk with us incognito a lot - but a Dev in their "true self" visiting shards on a more random but frequent basis would be very nice.

Holiday events should kinda be announced though. If not on a forum or on their official site, maybe a social media alert or tweet or even an in-game bark from the messengers at the banks or something. Then the Player-phone-tree would commence.

I stopped trying to adjust time to meet up with the devs in the game when they appear. It is a bit too much magicks for me to alter the time difference and my energies are better spent elsewhere. :p

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I attended GL's version of the Mesanna event, it was tagged onto the end of an EM event. Towards the end of the event is was fairly obvious what was about to happen. In fact, it was telegraphed at the start of the event if you paid enough attention to one of the props.

Unfortunately, the end of the event happened before Mesanna was ready and by then enough people had figured it out that once a gate to a restricted space finally opened, the crowd had quadrupled in size or more. Then we got to wait some more (about a half hour total) before it started. The line to play the roulette game was a cluster to say the least, there was blatant, rampant cutting which went completely unpunished (in fact, I'd say they were rewarded for it). It took hours for everyone to get through and aside from the rewards, wasn't really Halloweenish.

Mesanna could have saved herself the stress and the players a lot of thumb twiddling by simply plopping a clickie somewhere for a day or two that randomly distributed one of the pumpkins. 27 shards at a potential 3 hours per... *shudders* Everyone would have had an better chance to get a pumpkin, and she could have made them shard bound to dissuade the xsharders (Which she's now complaining about? Really? o_O:rolleyes:)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am about to explain the "shard bound " things that of late have started to be made.
At a few of the meet and greets a good deal of irate players made the complaint of the xshard traders walking off with the goods at em events and how rare it was for a home shard players to get one.
Many thought the suggestion of a shard bound item or two once in a while would be nice.
I agree with them!
Big deal....the home shard guys get one...... it's fair in my book.
Look ...its not like the EM events are not on their home shards... that's far from why the "pancakes" is on the shard bound stuff.
They are loosing out on the instant $$$$$$ because they want all of them for pure selfish means.
I'm a rares collector and I don't see the real harm in it.
So I missed out... so I will wait ...someone will have gotten one extra.... I agree dot a clicky would have been easy...but Mesanna loves to do the events and see the happy players.

Secondly Mesanna works a job just like everyone else... she has a bit more wiggle room..but she still has a boss of her own.
The hours she puts in....go way beyond normal office time...yes it comes with the job...sorta. But where do you draw the line? Your hours breakdown per event.... do eat into her personal time. With everything there is to do with UO per day add In all the player requests for help on accounts , transfer problems, and the general issues we have every day ...then set up of there EM events which I have heard take quite a bit of her time for those 27 shards..... personally I would be amazed how she pulls it all off!!!!!
I for one hope she gets some rest and can relax in the up coming christmas time off.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its the never ending ''ive got to have one on every shard'' to take to atlantic and sel for big bucks xsharders that bugger this up..like the lady said... 4 hours is no fun..especially when each xshrders logs in 5 extra chars in each....multiboxing them....i dont like missing myslef burt there is no other answer to this problem

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An impromptu Dev's visit is a special thing and personally I don't think should be announced at all.
I think the issue is that this visit was not impromptu. It was announced and people were expecting and waiting for it for over a month. I personally don't care if I miss it (I miss all the events heh), but I can see why people, especially big Halloween fans like myself, would get miffed over missing it.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tried an em event for the first time a few days ago. Now I remember why I'm anti-social in this game lol. Lagged to hell, rude jackasses, and no chance of even seeing what the story line was let alone getting a drop. Think I'll stick to my solitary walks through dungeons.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I think the issue is that this visit was not impromptu. It was announced and people were expecting and waiting for it for over a month. I personally don't care if I miss it (I miss all the events heh), but I can see why people, especially big Halloween fans like myself, would get miffed over missing it.
Oh, I know this wasn't impromptu... the dark lady luvs doing her Halloween thing and we all expect it after all these years. Rest of my post applies.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I know this wasn't impromptu... the dark lady luvs doing her Halloween thing and we all expect it after all these years. Rest of my post applies.
I mean devs just randomly dropping in would be cool.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried an em event for the first time a few days ago. Now I remember why I'm anti-social in this game lol. Lagged to hell, rude jackasses, and no chance of even seeing what the story line was let alone getting a drop. Think I'll stick to my solitary walks through dungeons.
what shard were you on? shards like atlantic, great lakes, and napa are madhouses, but smaller shards can be alot more enjoyable. maybe only 50or so people. if you really want to check out events, id recommend trying a few shards to see whats to your taste. the EMs styles vary alot too. its just about finding what you like.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
When my kids were young, my husband and I traveled a lot for work. When it got to the point where the first thing they said to us when we got home was "What did you bring me?" we stopped bringing "gifts" home as a regular thing. Our reasoning was that when it became an expectation or an obligation then it no longer felt like a gift anymore; we wanted them to be happy to see us, not to see what we brought them. Too often the gifts just seemed to cause disappointment and resentment for both the giver and the receiver.

Those little chatchkis were just something to say "hey, we love you and we were thinking about you." The exercise loses any value when the gift is expected or judged over others we've given in the past, or measured and found wanting compared to something someone else received. (And if I'd thought my gifts were being sold to their playmates for profit I can only imagine what I'd have felt.)

Recently I wondered what any of us might consider getting the Devs for the holidays this year...it was a novel thought.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When my kids were young, my husband and I traveled a lot for work. When it got to the point where the first thing they said to us when we got home was "What did you bring me?" we stopped bringing "gifts" home as a regular thing. Our reasoning was that when it became an expectation or an obligation then it no longer felt like a gift anymore; we wanted them to be happy to see us, not to see what we brought them. Too often the gifts just seemed to cause disappointment and resentment for both the giver and the receiver.

Those little chatchkis were just something to say "hey, we love you and we were thinking about you." The exercise loses any value when the gift is expected or judged over others we've given in the past, or measured and found wanting compared to something someone else received. (And if I'd thought my gifts were being sold to their playmates for profit I can only imagine what I'd have felt.)

Recently I wondered what any of us might consider getting the Devs for the holidays this year...it was a novel thought.
Another paycheck?