• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Castle floor heights - my observations

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of questions swirling around max heights. So I thought I would post my observations. Follow the footnotes for explanations of how I arrived at my numbers.

DISCLAIMER: these are just my observations based on my castle building experience since the last publish and are not in anyway official. Don't get mad at me if you build this high and your items disappear.

Ground level - or world height is counted as zero for the purposes of this discussion. (or 0 z where z is the vertical axis)
Foundation - is 5 tiles high or 5z
1st floor - 6z height of the first floor*
(you must raise a stone floor tile 20 times (i.e. 20 clicks of the decorator tool) to be level to the next floor)
2nd floor - 26z**
3rd floor - 46z
4th floor - 66z
"5th floor" - 74z/75z***

The curious thing about the 75z max height is that if you subtract 5 for the foundation you get 70 which Kryonix(?) referenced as the highest you could build - so maybe he meant you can go a max of 70 up from your foundation?

* this is based on the observation that a floor tile raised 5 times is the same height as short staircase (the kind you craft and the kind all houses use to enter a plot (customized or classic). The floor of any house is one tile higher than the staircase used to enter.

** this is based on counting the number of times I can raise a floor tile from the 1st floor until it's level with the next floor.

***5th floor is defined as the highest spot you can effectively "build" upon, where build is defined as the placing of any manufactured stone wall/stair/floor. In other words if you have a floor that's 74z high, you can add stone walls/floors, etc.). The term build does not seem apply to other items in the game. For example you can place a stone floor on the 5th level and then drop flowers, benches, chairs, etc without issue. but you cannot drop a stone wall. Yes you can raise floor tiles/gozas much higher but you can't build on them and based on various accounts the floor tiles seem to go *poof* at server up; other objects (e.g. flowers, chests, banners, etc.) remain.

Interesting observation: if you are standing at 75z or higher and try to even take a stone floor/wall out of your pack you will immediately get the message "you may not build any higher". Similarly if you try and trade an crafted stone wall/floor to another player while you are 75z or higher, you will get the same message. This may explain why grass tiles stored or locked down above 75z have vanished - they simply cannot exist at that height unless you "cheat" and raise them with the decorating tool.

DECORATING HINTS regarding height

A manufactured stair case is 5 tiles high.
You need a minimum of 3 rough stairs to be able to ascend to the next floor (assuming floor is 20 tiles high). This will require leaving uneven gaps between staircases. To make a smooth staircase you need 4 rough stairs.
Each rough stair must be within 2z high of the next stair/floor in order to ascend the staircase. (i.e. a stair case if 5 high, if the next object is a max of 7 high you can climb it, but at 8 high you will be blocked).
16 - the number of times you must raise a floor tile before you can walk underneath it.
If you stand on top of a ladder and drop a goza it's 17 high - but if you drop a stone tile or grass tile on this goza it will be 16 high.
You can only raise a tile 15 times before you will get a message that you can't raise it any higher. At this point you will need to elevate yourself (higher floor, or ladder) to raise it any higher.

These are my own observations - please post your own observations especially if they contradict anything I have stated.

Last edited:

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Now someone else said that they can see Z axis now with the sextants? What does the sextant show when you stand on a floor you've raised? I'm just curious to see what it measure it at :)

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, so glad I spent all that time counting :dunce: but at least the sextant confirms my count...my castle roof is at 71 high. Now all we need is confirmation of the actual height we're allowed to build - is it 70z or is it 75z as my observations seems to suggest.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
:)

Someone had mentioned the sextants now show z axis as well as x and y somewhere on UHall and didn't think about it till today when I read your last reply so thought "hmmmm I wonder iff..." Glad to know it works LOL

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is what mine shows me when I'm on my castle roof

upload_2015-10-19_10-42-8.png

I have no clue....that 46 is the....Y or Z? And it's nowhere near 71...or 75....so how exactly does this work?

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what mine shows me when I'm on my castle roof

View attachment 38246

I have no clue....that 46 is the....Y or Z? And it's nowhere near 71...or 75....so how exactly does this work?

46 is the height if you're standing on the 3rd floor....6 for 1st floor, 26 for 2nd floor and 66 for third floor. My castle has a new floor which is at 71z high. In your screenshot you're looking at the x,y and z axis. Take a reading, move one tile and read again and you will see your x or y value change.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The curious thing about the 75z max height is that if you subtract 5 for the foundation you get 70 which Kryonix(?) referenced as the highest you could build - so maybe he meant you can go a max of 70 up from your foundation?
Kyronix clearly stated the z-axis is from the ground, not the top of the foundation of the building.

@Scribbles ....The limit is based on elevation and is around 70z off the ground.
Now, considering he says "around" (which is ambiguous as all get out), you _could_ try to get away with utilizing the foundation in your calculating. But that is a risk some people are not so willing to take, considering the items they want to place and display on the upper levels.

My point is, be careful of tinkering close to that 70z limit with your rares.[/user]

Last edited:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kyronix clearly stated the z-axis is from the ground, not the top of the foundation of the building.

My point is, be careful of tinkering close to that 70z limit with your rares.
Thanks I was unaware of the exact quote. I visited that thread and he also stated " ...the elevation limit is enforced when you actually drop the craftable items. If you can drop the crafted items, then it's within the limits for elevation"

So given that he's saying around 70z and the game has auto-deleted stone creations of mine that are higher than 75 - (with the exact warning that he mentions )- I'm going with 75; but I'm hedging my bet by not putting anything valuable up higher than that. Still strange that goza matss are okay but not stone tiles or grass.

Last edited:

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I think is because goza do not need to have to be locked or even activated once placed. You just click - place - and waalaa, goza floor. Raise up and down and do whatever.

Personally, I dislike the gozas. They do serve a purpose, and yes I use them, but sometimes just wanna go take a hatchet to the world at large, eh? :hula:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Keep in mind, different places on the maps have different base heights for the ground under your house. So "ground level" Z in Brit might be 0, Ocllo might be 30, and Malas -50.

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Keep in mind, different places on the maps have different base heights for the ground under your house. So "ground level" Z in Brit might be 0, Ocllo might be 30, and Malas -50.
It looks like a good point
my zento house First floor and my Ter Mur house First floor height is different.

@Kyronix
If you have changed the policy About the height
We know how to 70z or 75z?
that you have mentioned? I can not find their source.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It looks like a good point
my zento house First floor and my Ter Mur house First floor height is different.

@Kyronix
If you have changed the policy About the height
We know how to 70z or 75z?
that you have mentioned? I can not find their source.
"There are limits to the maximum elevation these crafted items can be placed. Players found to be exploiting these limits will find themselves subject to GM action."
from publish notes in https://stratics.com/threads/uo-com-publish-90-part-1-time-of-legends.348276/

Kyronix: "It's based on elevation and if you exceed the elevation limit the object will get bounced back to your backpack and you get a message indicating the issue. The same rules apply in general about blocking vendors, houses, etc. etc."
https://stratics.com/threads/uo-com-publish-90-part-1-time-of-legends.348276/page-5

Kyronix: "the same rules apply with goza use, you cannot block someone else's house, vendor etc. That being said the elevation limit is enforced when you actually drop the craftable items. If you can drop the crafted items, then it's within the limits for elevation. If you are trying to place the item outside of those limits the item bounces back into your backpack and you get a message telling you. The limit is based on elevation and is around 70z off the ground."
https://stratics.com/threads/uo-com-publish-90-part-1-time-of-legends.348276/page-12

So the way I read it, it doesn't really matter what the height of a castle is. It's all dependant on where your castle is, and how high the ground there is. Stay under z = 71 with any new stuff, and you should be ok.

Given that the client can handle up to z = 112 before it gets wonky, z = 70 seems a bit random to me. As far as I can tell, that's just where you'd start seeing blackness on the edge of the screen. However, Ocllo and T2A both have areas where the ground is around that high *without* buildings. :p

(By the way, drop me a message tonight @blend; I have a bag waiting for you. :) )

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm going to ressurrect this post as it has relevance for a castle i'm decorating.

Grass level is 8. Foundation of the castle is 14. That made second floor at 34, third floor at 54, fourth floor at 74.

Question is, will this affect adding walls to that fourth wall. I was able to place them fine, they didn't bounce to my bag, but I am curious.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm going to ressurrect this post as it has relevance for a castle i'm decorating.

Grass level is 8. Foundation of the castle is 14. That made second floor at 34, third floor at 54, fourth floor at 74.

Question is, will this affect adding walls to that fourth wall. I was able to place them fine, they didn't bounce to my bag, but I am curious.
In addition to this, went and checked the levels in my castle. My castle, foundation is 6, ground is 0.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Your walls will be at 74 as well, so you'll be fine. I'm finding that I really wish they'd said 80, though. My house at the Cove castle spot needs one more Z to be legal so walls don't stick / block through floors, and I maxed at 74 there as well.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Your walls will be at 74 as well, so you'll be fine. I'm finding that I really wish they'd said 80, though. My house at the Cove castle spot needs one more Z to be legal so walls don't stick / block through floors, and I maxed at 74 there as well.
The person I'm decorating for decided they wanted a full fourth floor, but with the floors at 74, you can't use the stairs. I've raised a small section of the floors to 76 or 77 to see if it would work and was able to place a wall without it bouncing back. I'll check today when I log in to see if those tiles and walls are there - but it's very weird to have his foundation at 14 while mine is at 6. It gives me more room to play with than he has.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Aye, I've run into it many times. It makes me crazy that I have castles that can just barely fit an extra floor, with no room to do anything fancy or fun, while my Malas 18x18's could add something like 8 additional floors before they hit the limit.