• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Uo client.exe ram usage

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've noted the last few weeks that my client.exe uses a ton of ram very fast, like after 20mins of playing its up to 300mb+. Happens with and without uoassist running. Running -releasemem in assist drops it but not long.

Have to close client and reopen a lot or I risk crashing. Anyone else having this? After 250mb or so it starts getting really choppy...

Definitely a lot worse when pvping vs pvming, not sure why outside of I do a LOT more casting/maging in PvP.

PS - Did a clean uo install, didn't help. pc is modified for heavy gaming usage, 16gb of ram... doubt its a hardware issue. There any other good uo-centric settings to make that i don't know about?

Last edited:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think it's been like this for years. You could leave the log in screen up and it would eat up memory. I've gotten accustomed to closing the client when switching between characters or when I notice I'm super laggy. I wish BS would fix this.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's been like this for years. You could leave the log in screen up and it would eat up memory. I've gotten accustomed to closing the client when switching between characters or when I notice I'm super laggy. I wish BS would fix this.
Yea I've noticed it slightly forever, just seemed extra ramped up to me lately. Thought maybe a patch, or new sound or new graphic was the culprit

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much memory does your computer have total? What Operating System are you running?

To me 300mb of memory sounds normal.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've noticed every so often it doubles RAM usage for no apparent reason, but I've got plenty of RAM so....
It is weird how it happens randomly tho. Out of nowhere *BAM* its chewing up RAM like mad.

I've noticed at times it triples (or higher) CPU usage randomly.
That one bothers me most. Why should it jump from 17% to 58% (or higher) when I'm doing the exact same thing?
I have my theories but the only thing I can say for sure is,

UO is a fickle pancake.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL I timed out the other day (had gone to eat and forgot to log out) When I came back the cooling fans sounded like helicopters :p But it has always been this way, this kinda post was being made 17 yrs ago

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
classic uo client logged out and idling for more than 12 hours is likely to melt down a PC. i can run 10 clients at once on my current box, but if i walk away with 4 clients that disconnect, it will peg all aspects of an i7 processor with 16 meg of ram and all fans will be running full force. I am pretty sure that falling asleep while bank sitting killed one of my PC's in the 2005 - 2007 era.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
classic uo client logged out and idling for more than 12 hours is likely to melt down a PC. i can run 10 clients at once on my current box, but if i walk away with 4 clients that disconnect, it will peg all aspects of an i7 processor with 16 meg of ram and all fans will be running full force. I am pretty sure that falling asleep while bank sitting killed one of my PC's in the 2005 - 2007 era.
I don't doubt that. Leaving UO on the log in screen for more than a min or two will cause my computer to have a seizure.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I almost swear I remember the old client back in like 2001 having memory leaks but man that was so many years ago

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pc is about 10 years old, Classic Client kills it and i have to restart client loads of i get crashes lol, mine runs at like 100%cpu usage. lol

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah the client.exe is horrible for sucking up ram/cpu. Their use to be articles on ways to edit it to turn specific things off to help stop it. A lot if it is the actual client window, if you minimize the client it self you'll see %'s start to drop.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Ive had similar issues, the PC starting to overheat, fans going like crazy and the game becomes super laggy. Something in the new patch is causing all of this IMO, as before the latest patch I had no issues or very little issues......
A couple months ago I hear a similar problem with another well known programme on Internet, and it turned out to be a hidden bitcoin miner system installed into the programme. I really doubt they have done something similar, but one can imagine....
Good way to make a little extra cash on the side of the subs......:p

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since the expansion my "extra computers" have had trouble running UO. They are all decent comps with 8 gigs of ram or more. They used to run Idocs with 2 accounts per computer, but now i cant even stand to run them. Luckily i dont need to at this point.

The new expansion for sure is eating up some ram, sadly i doubt anything will be done about it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ive had similar issues, the PC starting to overheat, fans going like crazy and the game becomes super laggy. Something in the new patch is causing all of this IMO, as before the latest patch I had no issues or very little issues......
A couple months ago I hear a similar problem with another well known programme on Internet, and it turned out to be a hidden bitcoin miner system installed into the programme. I really doubt they have done something similar, but one can imagine....
Good way to make a little extra cash on the side of the subs......:p
Maybe that's how they plan to fund UO for the next decade :p