• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, Savage Empire. Eodon. Time Travel. Ultima.

Guns?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Another yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your well thought out and reasoned replies everyone, it was a great read.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...we already have firearms technology in UO. I for one would have no issue with pistols/blunderbusses.

Guns aren't a genre breaker honestly. I've been playing Tactics Ogre LUCT which has the same era style setting and guns, and it's just fine. Many other games have done the same.

Keep um old timey/steampunky and there should really be no issue with immersion.

UFO's on the other hand... might be going too far. :p

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...we already have firearms technology in UO. I for one would have no issue with pistols/blunderbusses.
It only makes sense. We have gunpowder, we have blacksmiths that know how to many cannons. The next logical step is portable firearms.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd have no problems with limited-accuracy type firearms, a la archery and throwing.

We'd be talking fire lances, flintlocks and blunderbuss, not Desert Eagles and M4s. Its a natural progression of technology that's been part of Ultima since UVI...and that's ignoring the phazers, light swords and spaceships of the first three.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd have no problems with limited-accuracy type firearms, a la archery and throwing.

We'd be talking fire lances, flintlocks and blunderbuss, not Desert Eagles and M4s. Its a natural progression of technology that's been part of Ultima since UVI...and that's ignoring the phazers, light swords and spaceships of the first three.
All weapons are "limited accuracy."

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Well yeah I don't think anyone wanted to skip straight to 21st century firearms...

I don't see why old firearms would be so bad. It's just smaller cannons. Which are already in game.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All weapons are "limited accuracy."
I meant this in the context of real life flintlocks and blunderbuss, neither of which was known for accuracy.

But that's a peculiar nit to pick with someone who's agreeing with you...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We did have a spaceship in a field in Ultima 6.
spaceship.jpg
I'm not arguing for or against guns but don't see them as totally out of character. Depends on how powerful they are. Probably not like the blasters in Might and Magic, if you remember those.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I meant this in the context of real life flintlocks and blunderbuss, neither of which was known for accuracy.

But that's a peculiar nit to pick with someone who's agreeing with you...
Hi have we met? :p

Sunseri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How close to the real thing would the in-game guns be? The Blunderbuss and flintlock would blow right through even plate armor. I have seen demonstrations proving such. If it's underpowered, then it would be pointless. We already have cannons, so I'd personally not have a problem with that. My only question is that would it require a new skill to learn to use the guns?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How close to the real thing would the in-game guns be? The Blunderbuss and flintlock would blow right through even plate armor. I have seen demonstrations proving such. If it's underpowered, then it would be pointless. We already have cannons, so I'd personally not have a problem with that. My only question is that would it require a new skill to learn to use the guns?
I'd hate to have high powered weapons in UO, that would totally ruin the balance of the game if anyone could do large amounts of damage to another player really fast.

Also just change Archery to "Ranged Weapons" and bam. Longbows and crossbows are already two completely different weapons with different real life skillsets, what's one more class of ranged weapon added in?

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I loved "Savage Empire". I thought it was so cool to be able to kill a bird and pluck it's feathers and take a knife to a tree to make shafts and finally be able to make your own arrows. What a novel game concept. I thought that was simply amazing! I was really disappointed when they didn't follow up on the series as originally planned. That said, I think fairly powerful "guns" would not be a problem, but I would think that they would be very heavy and have and really long reload times. Also, if I remember correctly, the amount of ammunition was very limited even after you able to find a way to make your own.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'll revise my original response: If adding guns to UO would unquestionably bring tens of thousands of new players streaming into the game and offering their first born as a guarantee they will stay for life, then (and only then) I might reconsider my original "no" and change it to "maybe".

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
If I were in a nasty mood I'd say yes ;) Let em spend 20 minutes reloading between shots and hours at home gathering the resources to make gun powder, cotton wads, flint, swabs, etc etc lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I were in a nasty mood I'd say yes ;) Let em spend 20 minutes reloading between shots and hours at home gathering the resources to make gun powder, cotton wads, flint, swabs, etc etc lol
They should be very slow, high damage, and ammo would be much more expensive and hard to get than archery. I think it could be balanced.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whilst I personally dont like the 'idea' of guns in UO its kind of hard to argue against it when we already have cannons. Gunpowder already exists as do projectiles and a method to propel them. Its not a leap at all for blacksmiths/tinkers to be able to build a blunderbus type of gun or a flintlock pistol. As ive said, with cannons already existing having guns in UO isnt exactly a radical move.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
They should be very slow, high damage, and ammo would be much more expensive and hard to get than archery. I think it could be balanced.
Maybe it's just me. But I want the fastest weapon possible. They always seem to be much more effective than slow high damage weapons. I think the only thing holding back High Seas is the cumbersome nature of cannon reloading and the time involved getting and making the supplies for cannon reloading. I would have to think any gun type weapon would be the same. You would probably get off one good shot (hope it's effective) then be dead by the time you got it reloaded again lol. I would think you would hope to get off a good shot and then quickly switch to a traditional weapon. Or carry say 10 loaded pistols on ya which would be a nightmare to balance. All seems kinda messy to me balancing such a thing. Or it behaves more like our traditional weapons, then really what's the point of doing it? Seems like a lot of effort for little payback, cause at the end of the day it would need to be balanced to our current weapons.

Although I think it would be very cool to have a pirate type belt graphic with a pistol in it just for looks, perhaps with a scabbard also. With the properties of say those Blackthorn belts as a rare drop. With a bonus of just wearing it and not from being able to actually use the pistol. My pirates would love that. That would look very cool.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe it's just me. But I want the fastest weapon possible. They always seem to be much more effective than slow high damage weapons. I think the only thing holding back High Seas is the cumbersome nature of cannon reloading and the time involved getting and making the supplies for cannon reloading. I would have to think any gun type weapon would be the same. You would probably get off one good shot (hope it's effective) then be dead by the time you got it reloaded again lol. I would think you would hope to get off a good shot and then quickly switch to a traditional weapon. Or carry say 10 loaded pistols on ya which would be a nightmare to balance. All seems kinda messy to me balancing such a thing. Or it behaves more like our traditional weapons, then really what's the point of doing it? Seems like a lot of effort for little payback, cause at the end of the day it would need to be balanced to our current weapons.

Although I think it would be very cool to have a pirate type belt graphic with a pistol in it just for looks, perhaps with a scabbard also. With the properties of say those Blackthorn belts as a rare drop. With a bonus of just wearing it and not from being able to actually use the pistol. My pirates would love that. That would look very cool.
Ranged weapons don't really need to be that fast, DPS is what matters. Melee weapons need to be fast because they have to leech frequently enough to keep up with the damage the character is taking. Obviously you want your weapon to swing as fast as it possibly can to max out your DPS, but that doesn't make slower weapons useless, especially in pvm.

Any weapon addition (or spells or pets or anything really) will be basically the same as what we have, that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to add new weapons with new specialized uses. I mean is throwing that much different than archery? Is mysticism that much different than magery? They have slightly different means yes, but they accomplish the same basic task (kill something, avoid being killed yourself) Guns could be just the same. Give them a unique set of specials that could offer utility currently not offered, and they will be differentiated from other weapons.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
We have dinosaurs, ninjas, Samurai, and elves in the same game. Why not guns. I'm not against the idea as long as the story leading into it is better than the Land before Time that we just got.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Quite seriously, considering the small staff at Broadsword and the size of UO's player base today, I don't think the additional coding required for weapons such as guns would be at all logical, even if some people would like it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite seriously, considering the small staff at Broadsword and the size of UO's player base today, I don't think the additional coding required for weapons such as guns would be at all logical, even if some people would like it.
I think art would be much more of an issue than coding. Anything that requires new body movements not gonna happen.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think art would be much more of an issue than coding. Anything that requires new body movements not gonna happen.
I'm not a coder, so I can't say I actually understand the potential difficulties, but I can imagine our people at Broadsword have enough on their plates. I tend to think asking for guns is a bit too much, especially since we have so many weapons already.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragons as pets - Perfectly fine
Summoning literal demons to do your dirty work - Acceptable.
Pentagrams everywhere - This is okay.

Flintlocks - LAWDY NO NUH UH NOT IN MAH UO!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guns have been around since gunpowder. Which... we've had in UO for years.
Please do not lie to us. The firearm was originally invented in China during the13th century AD, after the Chinese invented gunpowder during the 9th century AD.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would be fine with a musket, as we got those in Ultima 7.
Anything more modern than that would feel... fairly out of place in a high fantasy setting.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be fine with a musket, as we got those in Ultima 7.
Anything more modern than that would feel... fairly out of place in a high fantasy setting.
You really ought to check out the rest of the Ultima games......

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
As we are slowly progressing out of the "fantasy - medieval" time period, the next step would be primitive firearms.
Think, Pirates of the Caribbean.... I can see dragons dying out like the krakken..... it seems to be how the game is developing when you look at the overall scheme of things. Yeah... That one scene where Captn Jack is slowly realizing he truly is a dying breed.....

Shadefox

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think Id like guns in uo. Then again, I just attended an event with a Terminator in it........

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's the point of adding guns except for roleplaying?
We already have bows & xbows. How would guns be any different?
Btw, can't remember ever seeing someone with a crossbow (maybe that's just me and there are really some people out there using xbows, so plz correct me if I'm wrong). But wouldn't it make more sense to make all unpopular ranged weapons useful and desired again before adding something new? Especially since this wouldn't require the devs to spend time on adding all those new GFX & animations.
Would it use the same skill? Archery? Or a new one?
Then most probably quivers would be next and you most probably would want to have some equivalent for your bullets/slugs/rounds/whatever. Again more work for the art department.

TBH, I don't see the point, how guns could improve the game...

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Think, Pirates of the Caribbean.... I can see dragons dying out like the krakken..... it seems to be how the game is developing when you look at the overall scheme of things. Yeah... That one scene where Captn Jack is slowly realizing he truly is a dying breed.....
I prefer Medieval. I guess that's to be expected, considering my RL age. :rolleyes: