• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Invis fluking out?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I don't play my mage that often in a hunting way. She is my stealthing thief and I usually use the invis to break aggro and haul butt to my next thing.

I need items to unravel to raise my imbuing... (no I refuse to imbue to raise it!)... and someone suggested Wrong. So I went there on my mage to mix things up a bit and I am no mage. I toss out a couple of EVs and I normally would cast invis to break target and then help the EVs much like a tamer would. But the lizards keep coming after me and I keep casting invis and I am getting revealed instantly and I am not even getting the you have been revealed. I though I had something auto dragged and it was popping me out. Like how looting pops you out of being hidden. So I rebooted and same thing. I was thinking the invis has been scaled to something so I hovered it to watch it count down and before it is near time I am revealed and it goes away.

I can run hide and stealth back and watch the fight ironically though.

I have used this method for years to hunt on my weak mage. Am I losing my mind?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a monster reveals you it won't give a message. Its normally casting ones though which I don't think the lizard men are. You can normally hear the sound of the reveal spell. I normally invis, then wait for reveal and then hide straight away after.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If a monster reveals you it won't give a message. Its normally casting ones though which I don't think the lizard men are. You can normally hear the sound of the reveal spell. I normally invis, then wait for reveal and then hide straight away after.
I do that too, but as soon as I cast, I come out and can't hide because I am retargetting when invis usually breaks that and the monster fights/retargets to what I have summonsed.

And these are non mage lizards. no casting.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since a few publishes ago, assisting pets/summons aggros enemies, this means that enemies will be acting like you threw an offensive spell/ability on em, while usually obeying the usual first hit = aggro rule, but they may reveal you if you assist your summons and then do nothing else.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since a few publishes ago, assisting pets/summons aggros enemies, this means that enemies will be acting like you threw an offensive spell/ability on em, while usually obeying the usual first hit = aggro rule, but they may reveal you if you assist your summons and then do nothing else.

Huh?

I think what you said was... If I attack the lizardmen after I have casted invis, they will retarget on me?

What was happening was...

Never going into war mode, get targeted, run towards entrance, cast two EV's, cast invis get revealed and then retargeted, cast invis get revealed and then retargeted,cast invis get revealed then retargeted. Without ever casting an offensive spell and of course not being able to heal the EVs.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you invis while having aggro doesn't always remove the mobs knowledge of you being there, afaik this been a "feature" for years. best way to counter it is double invis (as in invising once to dump aggro, and once again without having aggro), having this happen over and over is rare though.

misread your initial post without much brain activity it seems ;)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you invis while having aggro doesn't always remove the mobs knowledge of you being there, afaik this been a "feature" for years. best way to counter it is double invis (as in invising once to dump aggro, and once again without having aggro), having this happen over and over is rare though.

misread your initial post without much brain activity it seems ;)

Ah yeah, I sometimes will get followed by a slew of things that won't cast spells or try to "swing" at me when I am hidden. I can drag them to town if I am on the surface map. I am wondering now if this has anything to do with the Blackthorne's Dungeon thing. Popping out of invis. I tried to find something more about it. :(

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Something is definitely different about it, but I can't define it. I too cast invis frequently and know what to expect, normally the agro drops until it's picked back up (Sometimes quicker than others), but lately there's no pause at all with it. It doesn't even try to look for the greater dragon I'm towing along even if it's between me and the monster.

And I'm not talking paragons/named stuff. I'm talking rats and slimes while fighting Baracoon spawns or regular Balrons in Blood.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just yesterday, I had a bog thing in ilish follow my stealther around while I was hidden. It had locked on my char so I hid at first opportunity and it just stuck on my tail regardless. I finally dropped into Exodus dungeon to lose it. I do not recall whether I used invis to first escape the critter and then quickly hid, but I was definitely hidden while trying to stealth away. But it just followed.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just yesterday, I had a bog thing in ilish follow my stealther around while I was hidden. It had locked on my char so I hid at first opportunity and it just stuck on my tail regardless. I finally dropped into Exodus dungeon to lose it. I do not recall whether I used invis to first escape the critter and then quickly hid, but I was definitely hidden while trying to stealth away. But it just followed.
Across the server line even? That's pretty odd.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the server line can cause him to follow you even thou you are hidden. works just like a cave entrance where you are targeted inside and go outside and hide and stealth in and they follow you.

I noticed while doing tmaps when I dig the chest I pre-cast inv and wait for monsters to show. as they show I cast inv on self and immediately move a few steps because they will reveal me unless I stealth a few steps quickly.

so I am suggesting that when you inv yourself try stealthing immediately a few steps to see if they don't reveal you.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
the server line can cause him to follow you even thou you are hidden. works just like a cave entrance where you are targeted inside and go outside and hide and stealth in and they follow you.

I noticed while doing tmaps when I dig the chest I pre-cast inv and wait for monsters to show. as they show I cast inv on self and immediately move a few steps because they will reveal me unless I stealth a few steps quickly.

so I am suggesting that when you inv yourself try stealthing immediately a few steps to see if they don't reveal you.
Why? It's never required it before. That's the point. It's getting old where people point out something wrong and people try to fix it with things outside of Dev attention. We get that if he were to recall the agro would drop. We get it. We all know the little tricks. The expectation is that when you invis, agro drops, they reveal as intended, agro picks up as normal. It's not happening. Today, you invis, agro doesn't seem to drop. You do something to reveal, even stuff outside of the reveal mechanics some things have, and agro is right back on you as if you never invis'd.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Yeah, I have things follow me often. That's normal. It's like they are stuck on follow, and they go out of war mode. If you stand still near them, they will eventually retarget you. I once drug a ton of things to town out of boredom. :D

But this invis insta reveal thing is harsh. Someone suggested that the Blackthorne thing might be following me, and to die and to polymorph, so I am going to try that tomorrow. (Although I have died plenty of times recently at an event) :)

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
at least years ago if a monster followed you across server line then it would move at paragon speed after you.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, now I am in a pumpkin field on a diff character who recently spent some time in Blackthorns. She is a warrior with no way to invis and only has JOAT. So I hid and started to get up and it says I have been revealed. There is nothing but plain pumpkins, a black pearl and unpicked wheat. i tried multiple times and the same thing. The blackthorn thing is sticking.

upload_2015-10-2_21-28-46.png

I allowed myself to die to a wandering healer (so I could rez easily lol) and it is gone.

I know what to do now. :)

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, now I am in a pumpkin field on a diff character who recently spent some time in Blackthorns. She is a warrior with no way to invis and only has JOAT. So I hid and started to get up and it says I have been revealed. There is nothing but plain pumpkins, a black pearl and unpicked wheat. i tried multiple times and the same thing. The blackthorn thing is sticking.

View attachment 37344

I allowed myself to die to a wandering healer (so I could rez easily lol) and it is gone.

I know what to do now. :)

Oh god. I am so glad someone else has this going on.

While the suggestions from the other players are nice, no, it is nothing you're doing.

There is in fact a bug with Blackthorn's and invisibility.

My main, Arroth, was used in Blackthorn's about a year ago. He's not tough, so I was just killing earth ele's. I had to get up from the computer, so I ran down to the bottom of the earth ele tunnel and cast invisibility on myself (just to break any left over agro, I knew he would be revealed). When I came back he had been revealed (obviously).

Ever since that point, he cannot hide, be invisible, anything. Spell, skill, doesn't matter. Go invisible, within about 4 seconds he's revealed. Not a big deal to me since after that last trip into Blackthorns, he hasn't really been played. I think the earth ele's were the last thing he was fighting.

I sit in my house, push the invisi key, he goes invisible and a few seconds later he goes un-invisible. Nothing around, not even critters, still happens. Tried it in town, still happens.

You are not alone. Yes it is a bug.

Haven't tried dying. I guess I can force myself to try it.

-Edit. Unforunately, dying fixed it. It's been so long, now I'm gonna miss my bugged character.

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh UO did something and they didnt tell you about it? Seems to be a very repetitive theme going on surrounding the release of the expansion in a lot of different areas of the game.

Like a third world country trying to build a water park in the middle of a drought.

Leeda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am having the same problem. If I invis or hide. I don't
understand if you put distance always before it would pass me up. Now I am getting revealed by the easiest of creatures. It was not easy gaining the skills. Now I feel that something has changed that shouldn't. Since most of my chars are based the same. Really get upset over something minor univising me.