• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Getting Medusa eggs is a tedious mess that doesn't belong in a commercial MMO.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Screw around down there for an hour.

Get one egg.

Remember I need four eggs to kill one Medusa.

Go to make this post.

Look at "similar threads" suggested by forum software.

See people complain about doing hundreds of Medusas without ever getting a Slither.

Imagine the thousands of hours of clicking on snake holes that would take.

This wouldn't be worth my time even if Slither was a $100 bill mailed to my house.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a trick - stealth, how it work in detail i dont know.. never actually did it, just know it makes it alot easier.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can get about 4 or 5 runs in less than an hour.

I use my stealthy thief.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There is a trick - stealth, how it work in detail i dont know.. never actually did it, just know it makes it alot easier.
Yep this is the easiest way, use a snake charmers flute while stealthed.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep this is the easiest way, use a snake charmers flute while stealthed.
QFT....three sets of eggs take me around 30 mins. And I got a slither on my 10 th run.....most of them solo.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
QFT....three sets of eggs take me around 30 mins. And I got a slither on my 10 th run.....most of them solo.
I've done Medusa 100's of times..... no slither. I've gotten the floor tile 2x, the statue once... and countless stone tooth daggers and the other stuff... but never a slither.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did countless Medusas..got my first Slither the other week. I think hunting eggs with a flute is not boring and im happy there are some keyhunts im successful with and can contribute to guildhunts.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I have yet to finish my stealther but my guildmates can get like 7 sets of keys in about 15 minutes....I haven't gotten anything cool off her, lotta stone teeth! But she's a neat little boss to kill....and with a stealther it's like...insanely easy to get the keys.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess what you are asking for is this

I guess everybody will be just

when UO installs this. I guess it is just called instant gratification and the hurry up to get to the end attitude. Sorry but I do not want an easy mode UO.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah lemme just roll a stealther, train it up by doing nothing that remotely resembles gameplay, then experience all the fun, challenge, and excitement of walking around in zero danger while I click on snakes, all so I can get a shot at a boss with a 0.1% drop rate on anything that anyone wants.

Sorry but I do not want an easy mode UO.
Yeah because a stealther walking around clicking on snakes with zero danger is super hardcore and anyone who doesn't think this is a great way to spend hundreds of hours just wants easy mode.

I've done Medusa 100's of times..... no slither. I've gotten the floor tile 2x, the statue once... and countless stone tooth daggers and the other stuff... but never a slither.
Congratulations on spending hundreds of hours of your life screwing around with this one boss, all for nothing of any real value. You'd have been better off sinking the same time into farming daemons or some newbie-ass thing like that.

This is all clearly well-designed and rewarding, I can't imagine why 90% of the content in this game lays around abandoned.

I'm just going to keep farming for tinker legs. If I'm going to spend a billion hours hoping to get an item anyone actually wants, I may as well spend that time fighting monsters instead of jerking around with this laughable snake hole garbage.

Last edited:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah lemme just roll a stealther, train it up by doing nothing that remotely resembles gameplay, then experience all the fun, challenge, and excitement of walking around in zero danger while I click on snakes, all so I can get a shot at a boss with a 0.1% drop rate on anything that anyone wants.

Yeah because a stealther walking around clicking on snakes with zero danger is super hardcore and anyone who doesn't think this is a great way to spend hundreds of hours just wants easy mode.

Congratulations on spending hundreds of hours of your life screwing around with this one boss, all for nothing of any real value. You'd have been better off sinking the same time into farming daemons or some newbie-ass thing like that.

This is all clearly well-designed and rewarding, I can't imagine why 90% of the content in this game lays around abandoned.

I'm just going to keep farming for tinker legs. If I'm going to spend a billion hours hoping to get an item anyone actually wants, I may as well spend that time fighting monsters instead of jerking around with this laughable snake hole garbage.
Next time you find something difficult, like Pirate Boats or Medusa eggs why not just ask on the forum, it might save a tear-stained rant after hours of you doing something the wrong way.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Lord Frodo said:Sorry but I do not want an easy mode UO."
So you assume that this is what I do, shame on you. Others have said what to do and what I said is that alls you want is an easy mode no matter what the task is. Or better yet use the whole quote and stop picking just one statement.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The sarcasm is strong with this one..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

You can try but you might find that just as fruitless like I have.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's pretty easy, especially if you are in a group. Often times we just get the keys on the way to Medusa. I use my mage or whichever template, never a stealther. If you are trying to solo it, the stealth method is the most effective way to go, but then again if you are trying to solo it, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be easy to begin with.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Screw around down there for an hour.

Get one egg.

Remember I need four eggs to kill one Medusa.

Go to make this post.

Look at "similar threads" suggested by forum software.

See people complain about doing hundreds of Medusas without ever getting a Slither.

Imagine the thousands of hours of clicking on snake holes that would take.

This wouldn't be worth my time even if Slither was a $100 bill mailed to my house.
Getting keys is easy. I generally do it on my sampire with a snake slayer. In an hour i generally have 3-4 sets. You must just have ****ty luck.

And arguably one of the best talismans should be hard to get... but recently just started doing medusa with a guildie in the past 6 weeks (never was interested before i quit 4 years ago. Recent return) and we got one on our second ever run. Yet ive done countless lady meli and similar peerless and never seen a crimson drop.. just the uo drop system. All peerless arties should be on the doom points system i think...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Medusa is by far the easiest peerless boss to key for. If you're only getting one key an hour, you're doing something wrong.

Bring a mage down there that can cast invisibility and you will be more than fine moving around and hitting invis on yourself when needed

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone explain how to get the keys please. I've been to fight medusa many times but only when guild mates or people in chat have been going.

I hate getting keys for stuff, I can't explain how much I hate it!! Usually they take longer to acquire than most of the boss fights. If people are saying medusa is the easiest I'll give it a try.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Get the snake charming flutes, Go down to the area where the snakes spawn and you see the snake "nest" holes or whatever they are called. I generally stealth. Use the flute and target a snake, if you succeed in "charming" the said snake then target the nearest snake hole. While that snake is busy having at that one charm another snake and send it to a second nearby hole... I find that the giant snakes and the red snakes tend to find eggs better than the little snakes.

At any rate you keep doing this and moving about to where there are the most holes for the snakes in your range. I even had coil searching for eggs for me. Rather fun.

Anyway good luck!

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh look! Another thread where I can say..

Please make a new gold sink. Allow peerless keys to be purchased from npcs. 1 week timer.. 100 to 500k a set.

Heaven....

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too wish acquiring the eggs was less tedious, but not necessarily easier.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Slightly off topic, but I have an idea I've always thought UO should have done,

I think that to make sure everyone gets "something" for doing bosses a lot, even if they have extremely bad luck and never actually get the big expensive drop from the boss, a player should be guaranteed a drop after a certain amount of attempts if they haven't already gotten one. For example, let's say the number is 30, you do Medusa 29 times and you never get a slither, then the 30th time you do it you would be 100% guaranteed to get a slither as a drop to reward you for doing the boss so many times. If you get a slither before the 30th attempt the cycle resets back to zero. I believe this would prevent people from just giving up on bosses and never doing them again if they seem to never get the drops, while also lowering the prices of the drops to make them more affordable for new players. Works out for everyone in my opinion.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Slightly off topic, but I have an idea I've always thought UO should have done,

I think that to make sure everyone gets "something" for doing bosses a lot, even if they have extremely bad luck and never actually get the big expensive drop from the boss, a player should be guaranteed a drop after a certain amount of attempts if they haven't already gotten one. For example, let's say the number is 30, you do Medusa 29 times and you never get a slither, then the 30th time you do it you would be 100% guaranteed to get a slither as a drop to reward you for doing the boss so many times. If you get a slither before the 30th attempt the cycle resets back to zero. I believe this would prevent people from just giving up on bosses and never doing them again if they seem to never get the drops, while also lowering the prices of the drops to make them more affordable for new players. Works out for everyone in my opinion.
I've always thought that way too. In some games they call it a golden egg rule. After so long of being in-game you are given a drop just basically to keep you happy and playing. After so long of never getting any reward for time/effort a lot of folk get "divorced" from their enjoyment of the game and become bitter and either quit entirely vowing never to return or they cause such a stink no-one wants to play with them and they quit.. either way it's a lose for the company and other players. Giving a golden egg drop really doesn't hurt anyone.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This system is already implemented in both Blackthorn and Doom. Wouldn't be a half bad idea to put it towards a few other things. Biggest issue in my opinion is that the code seems to only allow one drop per run with a large group, Of the main items, I've never seen a run where multiple tiles/statues/pinks/slithers/venoms dropped. Its always 1. Doing a Medusa with a group should yield higher results than just soloing it. (Other than those nice cleanup items :p )

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This system is already implemented in both Blackthorn and Doom. Wouldn't be a half bad idea to put it towards a few other things. Biggest issue in my opinion is that the code seems to only allow one drop per run with a large group, Of the main items, I've never seen a run where multiple tiles/statues/pinks/slithers/venoms dropped. Its always 1. Doing a Medusa with a group should yield higher results than just soloing it. (Other than those nice cleanup items :p )
I agree! There needs to be more incentive to work as a group and in party rather than soloing everything. After all is this an MMO or isn't it?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Next time you find something difficult, like Pirate Boats or Medusa eggs why not just ask on the forum, it might save a tear-stained rant after hours of you doing something the wrong way.
I'm sorry, but are all of you people just spectacularly bad at UO and think the snakes down there actually represent some sort of "difficulty" or impediment to anyone competent? It's like the first tier of a champ spawn down there. It's nothing.

I went over to one of those green spaces where there were a few holes all in one area and walked around clicking them one by one more or less continuously as they respawned, spirit speaking through poison and stopping to whirlwind a couple times whenever too many snakes built up. An hour later, I had one egg and a very poor opinion of whatever developer thought this constituted worthwhile gameplay in a paid MMO.

And the pirate thread? The one where the pirate ship kept firing even after it was destroyed and the crew was dead? It's sort of pathetic what kind of broken garbage content some of you people will attempt to excuse.

Last edited:

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want easy mode, go work a regular job for a few hours and then use the money you earned to buy what you want. Let someone else do the 100's of hours of tedious stuff.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sorry but I do not want an easy mode UO.
If you want easy mode, go work a regular job for a few hours and then use the money you earned to buy what you want. Let someone else do the 100's of hours of tedious stuff.
The only people in the world who think 'easy' is the opposite of 'tedious' are posters on MMORPG forums.

But okay, I'll accept that argument for the moment. So if 'easy' is the opposite of 'tedious' then by that exact same logic 'hard' must be the opposite of 'fun and interesting' right? So I guess my question is, why are you all such newbs who hate challenge so much?

I mean personally I think things can be hard but fun, or easy but incredibly tedious like this snake egg nonsense, but you guys seem to disagree. Yep, in your book if you don't want tedium then you must want easy mode, because apparently those are two opposite things.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont find it hard or tedious or boring....I find it fun.

I go down...nail down a few sets of keys....they switch over and go solo her a few times.... I find it fun and a nice way to spend some time when not a lot of friends are around. Kind of like doing T-maps....just something different to solo until some friends get on.

I dont find it boring or frustrating because I am not there farming crap...I am just there having fun.

Eon Blue Apocalypse

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm able to get 7-10 runs within an hour with my hiding/stealth thief. You need to try that route and set macros so it's easier to manipulate the snakes.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The only people in the world who think 'easy' is the opposite of 'tedious' are posters on MMORPG forums.

But okay, I'll accept that argument for the moment. So if 'easy' is the opposite of 'tedious' then by that exact same logic 'hard' must be the opposite of 'fun and interesting' right? So I guess my question is, why are you all such newbs who hate challenge so much?

I mean personally I think things can be hard but fun, or easy but incredibly tedious like this snake egg nonsense, but you guys seem to disagree. Yep, in your book if you don't want tedium then you must want easy mode, because apparently those are two opposite things.

You do realize that by not remaining hidden your defeating yourself right? You can't keep the snake charmed when he wants to kill and attack you... that's the problem your having and that's why most people do it stealthed. The snake stops being charmed and doing what you tell it to when it agro's on something nearby.... ie YOU. Just saying. You are not making it more challenging you're self defeating your purpose for being there.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You do realize that by not remaining hidden your defeating yourself right? You can't keep the snake charmed when he wants to kill and attack you... that's the problem your having and that's why most people do it stealthed. The snake stops being charmed and doing what you tell it to when it agro's on something nearby.... ie YOU. Just saying. You are not making it more challenging you're self defeating your purpose for being there.
Well said. Listen and learn, Padawan.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm not using a flute, I'm just clicking holes and whirlwinding when too many snakes build up. If that somehow has a lower chance than using a flute, it's never been documented in all the years it's existed. The most I could find was one very old forum post where someone said they get more from clicking, and someone else said they get less.

You'd know that if you bothered to read the post two up from the one you replied to, but I guess you were in too much of a hurry to post this smug little rejoinder to bother.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not using a flute, I'm just clicking holes and whirlwinding when too many snakes build up. If that somehow has a lower chance than using a flute, it's never been documented in all the years it's existed. The most I could find was one very old forum post where someone said they get more from clicking, and someone else said they get less.

You'd know that if you bothered to read the post two up from the one you replied to, but I guess you were in too much of a hurry to post this smug little rejoinder to bother.
When reaching in you get a higher chance of destroying the hole. Also the inconvenience of being stuck at times. Spend 20 minutes with a flute and 20 minutes without and document the amount of times your hand destroys the hole as opposed to how many times the snakes destroy the hole

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you read how rare a Slither is, and easy to figure how easy it actually is to get and Egg, BUT you dont want too. It actually looks like you actually DO WANT the Easy button, to get your slither.

DLTDHYOTA

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It's simple. Use a snake to search a hole, you raise your chances to get an egg. You're not using snakes; you're searching holes yourself while killing the snakes. Stop killing snakes, and use them to search instead, like everyone here is telling you. You'll find [pun unintended] that your egg rate increases dramatically.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
on getting the medusa eggs, i find that pretty easy with my bard/mage. I area peace if i get into trouble then cast invisibility. If i need to clear out some snakes becuase too many are around, then EV does wonders

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let me get this right........some one complains, moans and whines about how hard it is to medusa keys.... But then spends all his time trying to get them the hardest and least successful way. ...and then criticizes others for instructing him on the best way.....sounds a lot like a nephew of mine.....but he is only six I am sure my nephew will grow up .....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great thing about this thread, I've learned an easier (and less tedious) way to gather the eggs. I've always used the flutes but never really dawned on me about the aggro part.... so thank you OP!

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Decided to try this again a year later, 45 minutes of clicking on holes, one egg.

Can I get some more smug posts about how you totally get one every 5 minutes, and I can't possibly think this is boring garbage, and must just think killing giant serpents is too hard?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use the flutes, I promise you'll get better than shoving your hand in.