• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Elections

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I wasn't around for much of the campaign happenings in the various towns due to my vacation this year I wanted to address a few things that I saw, just here on the forums. Thread hijacking, accusations and other negative things. Why is it exactly we can't have a civil election on this shard in all the cities? And the thing that started it all? An inability to just answer the question asked that spiraled out of control. You want to post campaign propaganda then go for it, but keep it IC... especially if your running as a member of the RP community.

I would welcome a chance to campaign for my city, and stimulate interaction. Appropriate interaction at any rate, not backhanded remarks meant to belittle another candidate or out and out attacks on the person behind the pixels. I've enjoyed interaction with almost all of the governors we've had elected in the time I've been one. Whether they were originally an rper, pvper, pvmer or any other kind of play style you care to try and divide our player base by.

Can Rpers be exclusive? Yes, sometimes we can be or will appear to be because of what is going on in our stories. Can we be inclusive? You bet, I've made it a goal in my game time to try and include as many people as possible in my rp whether they are full time rpers or not. And I know several other people who do the same. Are all pvpers vulgar trash talking children? Regardless of the way they are painted, they really aren't. I've met a good number that not only didn't act like that, but actively supported different play styles. Heck, when my mom used to play she was pked quite a few times by a particular guy until she asked him to help her, and ended up not only learning about how to pvp but being given a keep when the guy quit playing.

My character Thom hated Lucidity, but that didn't mean that I didn't respect the player for taking on that role. It was based solely on her in character actions. When Rorik killed me in the middle of the council meeting? I sent him an ICQ and we laughed about the fact he forgot Thom is a tamer mage, and then we rolled with the consequences of that action. The first rule of RP, at least for the groups I associate with, is usually to keep things IC and respect the player. As a Catskills native and member of the RP community here for more years then I can really remember I can say with certainty that we are not as plentiful as we used to be. We're getting new blood from other shards, but if all of this infighting over stupid things doesn't stop then we're more likely to lose who we do have left then we are to grow.

To be honest, i'm kind of relieved that Armand won Britain. Unfortunately that's just because I haven't known Flutter to spend several council meetings afterwards trying to get the EM to overturn the election or change the rules of elections, and that's actually the only interest I have in who runs Britain. I didn't even vote this term since my seat was uncontested. Do I like to see RPers as governors of the cities? Sure I do. Would I be just as happy with someone that has never rped a day in their life but tried? I would, if not even happier that we have a chance to introduce another player to RP.

All in all I guess what i'm trying to say here is I would like the next election to actually be civil in the sense that we can all respect that there are only 9 cities to be represented and we're all people behind the screen. No matter your play style, you have every right to run for an office. Whether you've been here for 18 years or 3 months.

Armand de Romanus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
what attacks? u mean the ones coming from atlantic in regards to the atlantic rp'ers that came over here, bcuz that's really the only attacks that I saw being made. my comments on flutter were facts... a) she did not attend meetings (and not just on lucidity but also hardly attended meetings as Ouija in skara brae), b) did nothing with Britain other than set a buff to auto renew, c) brought a bunch of people here to reply to a thread because I stated facts bout her that then turned around and insulted the people that came here from atlantic --- i.e. griefers. & lets not even mention the griefers that came out during the more heated campaigns against pandy that called her names & set tameables w deplorable names & wrote books w bullying tactics & other crap!

so how bout we fix that??? just bcuz someone states something on a thread doesn't mean u have to go and link the thread to every known person/griefer out there that u know on icq 2 come & comment on it. if they thought I was "attacking" her, direct it 2 me, send me a pm ... not the atlantic folks that came here. that was certainly much more negative than me ever saying the facts about her campaigns and governorships.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My post wasn't all about you Armand. But lets not forget that everything I mentioned did come about because uyou are incapable of answering "what city buff will you have in your city" with a simple "I think either a or b because it fits the city." I don't personally care who attended what meeting or didn't. And campaigning is fine. But we can and should do it in character. A lot of governors have done nothing with their city. In fact the only ones that run consistent events are Trinsic, Skara under Gillian, and Vesper under Mare. This also has nothing to do with anything that happened elsewhere. Only forums during this election.

PS. Being bullied or called names during an election does not give you the right to do it to someone else for years afterwards.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sighs*

And this is why I didn't want ANY of CoD to run in elections. Because of this very issue... I actually think Armand should withdraw, but you know my feelings on this Adam. I would have also liked to have seen Va'lis withdraw. I mean they are my guildies and I will help them because that's what they wanted, but I personally didn't want any part of this crap anymore! And I am not happy about posting things on this forum, I only manage the schedule and post about events. I've already addressed that with Adam.

I will never run in an election EVER EVER AGAIN because it's just stupid to allow cross-shard votes, PERIOD. So until that situation is fixed, I am DONE with it. I am a Countess of Britain, been that since 1998 when I was appointed as such by LB himself during my wedding, and Marius is a Count. I have proven I need no title to do things for the city I love and connect with.

And why even have a voting process at all, it's a MONARCHY. The king should just select the people he appoints as "Chancellors" to each city based on what they do for the city!!! Making it completely MERIT BASED. It could be a point system just like the RBG points... if you do XYZ you get 1,2,3 points and the person at the top of the list for each city is appointed chancellor. If it was merit based like this, only those that really take such a system to heart would invest into it. AS IT SHOULD BE.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Armand I did not see anything Thom wrote as an attack on you, but more a statement of what has happened to the election system as a whole. Any person on Catskills should feel free to run in any town for election. This was supposed to be fun for all, not just for those who role play. I have never known you to be anything less than a gentleman in my few dealings with you Armand, but we all must admit that there is far too much pettiness which takes place at election time. As to who attends or does not attend the meetings with the "king" most of us have missed meetings during our terms. Many of us are dealing with illness or family matters which take precedence over any in game meeting. And no one should be faulted when they chose life over virtual life.

As to city held events, they are not the make all of any town, but add a great deal of spice. I do enjoy attending these when time permits. The fact that Lucidity held none during her term means nothing. The player lie others of us has been dealing with health issues along with being made to feel a usurper for simply winning the election. It would have been far better to have welcomed the new Governor and offered her any assistance she needed. It is through mutual respect and a willing extended hand that we build a community.

In past years I have been active in the community hosting tavern nights and other events. I am no longer able to regularly do such things. It is for this reason that I was so thrilled when Gillian decided to run in Yew. Even had I been more active in the social scene I would have welcomed her running in Yew simply because she will bring a new aspect and flavor to an old town. It has been my honor to support her as she ran and I will continue to offer her what assistance I can for however long she chooses to serve the in game town that I love.

Yes it would be great if all Governors were role players, but there is much to be said for a community that learns to function along side each other and do it well. Where those who do not RP still feel free to step forward and run in a town election, attend an event, host an event and display the sense of community that in years past I thoroughly enjoyed about this game.

Yes, yes, that is it!
You must all behave and play well together because I command it.

And really, we all crave it.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is the system exploitable (in the running/winning sense) ? Yes
Does it mean we can't be at least civil to another? No

If we don't like how someone is doing something, so be it. Not everybody will agree with everyone. Such is a simple fact.

Huh, not liking what other politicians do or say.... Almost like real politics.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Armand I did not see anything Thom wrote as an attack on you, but more a statement of what has happened to the election system as a whole. Any person on Catskills should feel free to run in any town for election. This was supposed to be fun for all, not just for those who role play. I have never known you to be anything less than a gentleman in my few dealings with you Armand, but we all must admit that there is far too much pettiness which takes place at election time. As to who attends or does not attend the meetings with the "king" most of us have missed meetings during our terms. Many of us are dealing with illness or family matters which take precedence over any in game meeting. And no one should be faulted when they chose life over virtual life.

As to city held events, they are not the make all of any town, but add a great deal of spice. I do enjoy attending these when time permits. The fact that Lucidity held none during her term means nothing. The player lie others of us has been dealing with health issues along with being made to feel a usurper for simply winning the election. It would have been far better to have welcomed the new Governor and offered her any assistance she needed. It is through mutual respect and a willing extended hand that we build a community.

In past years I have been active in the community hosting tavern nights and other events. I am no longer able to regularly do such things. It is for this reason that I was so thrilled when Gillian decided to run in Yew. Even had I been more active in the social scene I would have welcomed her running in Yew simply because she will bring a new aspect and flavor to an old town. It has been my honor to support her as she ran and I will continue to offer her what assistance I can for however long she chooses to serve the in game town that I love.

Yes it would be great if all Governors were role players, but there is much to be said for a community that learns to function along side each other and do it well. Where those who do not RP still feel free to step forward and run in a town election, attend an event, host an event and display the sense of community that in years past I thoroughly enjoyed about this game.

Yes, yes, that is it!
You must all behave and play well together because I command it.

And really, we all crave it.

Is the system exploitable (in the running/winning sense) ? Yes
Does it mean we can't be at least civil to another? No

If we don't like how someone is doing something, so be it. Not everybody will agree with everyone. Such is a simple fact.

Huh, not liking what other politicians do or say.... Almost like real politics.
Thank you Norrar. You and Aedon did a very good job of understanding and rephrasing what I meant in my post. It wasn't meant to be an argument about the system or it's more controversial features, but more a plea to everyone to keep it civil.

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pandy you mention Valis was there an issue in Moonglow I was unaware of ? If so please let me know so Clark and Myself can handle it, but when I left Sunday as far as I know we had kept it to all on shard guild votes

Thanks
Devin

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No my remarks about asking my members to NOT get involved with the council stuff has nothing to do with the elections and EVERYTHING to do with the system itself, which allows for exploits, griefing, and cyber bullying. A type of interaction that I just no longer want CoD involved in.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pandy you mention Valis was there an issue in Moonglow I was unaware of ? If so please let me know so Clark and Myself can handle it, but when I left Sunday as far as I know we had kept it to all on shard guild votes

Thanks
Devin
No issues that I saw, so no worries

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The election system doesn't allow for any more griefing or bullying then any other system in game. It actually promotes less then other systems because you only vote twice a year where you have 12 council meetings, countless events, and a never ending stream of chat. That being said if that's the way you feel then that's the way you feel. However, this thread wasn't about the mechanics... it was in all seriousness just something that I've wanted to say for a while now. My attempt at getting people to act civil and keep election campaigning in character. If I wanted to go after the seat in Trinsic as an outsider I could come up with something in character to use as a reason. "The governor spends all his time and gold running events that don't do anything for the average citizen of Trinsic, if i'm elected i'll make sure our gold is spent better." Yeah, not that great but I can't really think of much to say about my own city and would rather not open up the can of worms of using any other city for an example. The governor system deep down is an rp system, so it only makes sense that we use it in an rp manner. Which means keeping our comments about the character, not the player. Take my opinion how you will, but it isn't about anyone in particular.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking of civil, let's please keep this one clean. We can go ahead and consider this a warning.