• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC Just disappears

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Heyas @Pinco

having a problem on my pc, has been running the EC fine for ages, however I had to reboot due to a crash and now when I try to log into the EC either from the EC PlaySound or EC UI Patcher, it opens up, does the 'patch' then lights up the play button.(all as per normal).

I then press the Play button and the small screen disappears and you see the larger screen open for just a second and then it just disappears, so you never get the log in screen.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heyas @Pinco

having a problem on my pc, has been running the EC fine for ages, however I had to reboot due to a crash and now when I try to log into the EC either from the EC PlaySound or EC UI Patcher, it opens up, does the 'patch' then lights up the play button.(all as per normal).

I then press the Play button and the small screen disappears and you see the larger screen open for just a second and then it just disappears, so you never get the log in screen.

Any suggestions?
reinstall EC, probably some file is missing...

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, talk about bizarre! The exact same thing is happening to me.

Just a few minutes ago my computer crashed while playing UO with the EC. First I got a notice that EC Playsound has stopped working, then all kinds of memory errors and a message that my computer had to be restarted now.

Now, after rebooting twice, EC Playsound stops working immediately and without it I get the same exact situation as MissEcho, a screen that opens up for moment then disappears.

Just when I began my BODs run.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well uninstalling the EC and reinstalling it didn't work. Still getting the same effect.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Redownloading everything and reinstalling Pinco's UI didn't work either. The client still won't load to the login screen. WTF?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pinko

I got up this morning and checked this thread before intending to reinstall if nothing was here but given @Ezekiel Zane experience I am not sure I want to reinstall if the same thing is gonna happen as my internet is super slow and it will take me hours and hours. Priorto my crash I also got EC Playsound issues. The first time I rebooted after my crash I also got memory errors, and a checkdisk screen appeared and ran, before it went to normal. All other applications and programs work fine.

Let me know how you go Ezekiel, it would take me upwards of 8 hrs to do all that downloading on my connection so as you can imagine it is a last resort.

Last edited:

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm stumped. I've spent two and a half hours messing with this and still cannot load the Enhanced Client.

Just FYI, the Classic Client seems to be working fine.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is not good news, I can't play the cc, and dont even have it installed. Need some other response from @Pinko or @Kyronix re this issue. If you did the full download/reinstall/patch etc and it made no difference there must be something else wrong. :(

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried reinstalling again. This time though I completely deleted everything UO related except the Classic client folder and the User Profiles in My Documents folder.

Complete reinstall again and it's still the same. Won't load.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hmm well sad to say this but may this needs to happen to a hundred other people so that someone will help us :(

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is not good news, I can't play the cc, and dont even have it installed. Need some other response from @Pinko or @Kyronix re this issue. If you did the full download/reinstall/patch etc and it made no difference there must be something else wrong. :(
What happens when you download, patch, and play the game using the default EC UI?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm at that point now. I've redownloaded the entire Enhanced Client and patched and it still won't run. No Pinco's or anything else. Pincos and EC Playsound was all uninstalled and deleted.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What happens when you download, patch, and play the game using the default EC UI?
I havent done it yet, waiting to see if Ezekiel can get it working. Would take me over 8 hrs to do the downloads and patches which I don't see useful if he has done all that and it makes no difference. As you see he says it still wont run. You just hit play, the small patch window disappears, the larger play/log in window opens for a sec and disappears, and if you look in task manager shows no applications running.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, fixed it!

I renamed the EA Games folder in "MY DOCUMENTS" and the game loaded normally, finally.

So far I've been copying individual character profiles back into the new EA Games folder and it's still working. What a way to waste five hours.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but it wont let you change the name back I changed mine from EA Games to Broadsword Games, game loaded, lost all user data of course, and tried to chnge it back but it wont let you.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, fixed it!

I renamed the EA Games folder in "MY DOCUMENTS" and the game loaded normally, finally.

So far I've been copying individual character profiles back into the new EA Games folder and it's still working. What a way to waste five hours.
I tried copying back in the userdata off one of my chars and it just wont do any formating, no macros, no hotbar set up, it is basically back to the default. Are you getting it to put your formatting back in? I have like 2 accounts 7 chars and chars on every shard, in other words a hundred chars. Please tell me you have found a way to make the userdata copy back :(

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but it wont let you change the name back I changed mine from EA Games to Broadsword Games, game loaded, lost all user data of course, and tried to chnge it back but it wont let you.

I didn't make a new folder the game did automatically.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe it should create a new folder when you log in/out a single character.

After that I began pasting the individual files back in. Actually after a few I just started copying whole account folders and so far after four all is still well.

I have 14 account folders with characters on every shard.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please tell me you have found a way to make the userdata copy back :(
I've copied & pasted four accounts folders so far and every character I've loaded up had their settings intact. Only no Pinco's UI yet. I'll work on that later.

Additionally, my old problem with the game screen window resolution not being set at the correct ratio, and the XML file not loading my saved zoom setting, seems to have been fixed.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just noticed though that now, my sound is screwed up. Everything now sounds all muted and muffled likes it's under water and the bass level is too low. A recall sounds like a low rumbling earthquake.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Ezekiel, I have done the same, it will still take forever to get it all fixed up, and i have no idea what caused it to start with. No idea how you decided to rename the folder to make it work, just glad I didnt have to do all the downloading again. That is never an option I take unless absolutely all other avenues are exhausted. They need to fix it so when you download it is CURRENT and then you dont have hours of patching as well. Thanks again.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not an UI problem because the UI is loaded when you enter the game and not before, and since it's not fixed by re-installing the game, it could be windows related... perhaps a new windows update or a new driver? or do you have a malware?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have no idea if there's a connection or not, but I play from outside the US using Battleping and about 2 weeks ago, one of the Windows 7 update patches messed Battleping up bigtime. Also, it seemed not to mess it up for everyone but randomly. Perhaps that same patch did something to the EC too for some people.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I don't know what caused this but here are some additional facts from my point of view;

I uninstalled the EC and reinstalled it three times. A one hour process each time. Uninstalled and reinstalled Pinco's UI once. Another hour. The last time I deleted all the remnants of the programs EXCEPT the User Data files in "MY DOCUMENTS." Nothing worked. The client still opened for just a moment and promptly closed.

So I decided to backup the User Data folder, then I just renamed it Copy of EA GAMES. When I loaded the client it loaded right away and seemingly completely back to normal.

When the game and my computer crashed initially, I was on a character, a smith, collecting BODs. While I was moving each character's XML file back into the new EA GAMES folder, I noticed that this same character's XML file was totally blank. Just an empty white page. I copied one of my other smith's file and renamed it. I did not move the old blank and possibly corrupted file back.

I've run malwarebytes and have other anti-spyware, adware & virus protection. I believe Windows had an update last week, nothing yesterday. Neither has been an issue.

Since starting to play again about six weeks ago, my computer has been crashing about 4 or 5 times per week while playing UO and only while playing UO. Many times the very first popup or notification I get is that "EC Playsound" has stopped working.

My sound is still screwed up in UO. It was absolutely fine before this. I've reinstalled all my sound drivers and other motherboard drivers and still the sound is muffled and muted in UO. No other programs, games or YOUTUBE or DVDs have been affected.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I don't know what caused this but here are some additional facts from my point of view;

I uninstalled the EC and reinstalled it three times. A one hour process each time. Uninstalled and reinstalled Pinco's UI once. Another hour. The last time I deleted all the remnants of the programs EXCEPT the User Data files in "MY DOCUMENTS." Nothing worked. The client still opened for just a moment and promptly closed.

So I decided to backup the User Data folder, then I just renamed it Copy of EA GAMES. When I loaded the client it loaded right away and seemingly completely back to normal.

When the game and my computer crashed initially, I was on a character, a smith, collecting BODs. While I was moving each character's XML file back into the new EA GAMES folder, I noticed that this same character's XML file was totally blank. Just an empty white page. I copied one of my other smith's file and renamed it. I did not move the old blank and possibly corrupted file back.

I've run malwarebytes and have other anti-spyware, adware & virus protection. I believe Windows had an update last week, nothing yesterday. Neither has been an issue.

Since starting to play again about six weeks ago, my computer has been crashing about 4 or 5 times per week while playing UO and only while playing UO. Many times the very first popup or notification I get is that "EC Playsound" has stopped working.

My sound is still screwed up in UO. It was absolutely fine before this. I've reinstalled all my sound drivers and other motherboard drivers and still the sound is muffled and muted in UO. No other programs, games or YOUTUBE or DVDs have been affected.
have you tried to re-install directX 9?