• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Metal boxes and strong boxes

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a strong box that only holds 25 items
I have several metal boxes that look exactly like strong boxes
I have a strong box that holds 125 items, but it weighs 100 stones when empty.

Does anyone know the what, when and where on these boxes? how you get them where they came from etc...

Thanks

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
strong boxes and metal boxes are the same thing, if u turn a strongbox with a house deco tool it will become a metal box. while facing east they can be dyed with a metal dye tub, while facing south they cannot, some of them do have 25 item limits (these are rarer than the others). i also am curious exactly where they came from since ive never heard the story behind them either.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.uoguide.com/A_Strongbox

"This page was last modified on 6 July 2013." I've not done a quest in UO for ages so i'm not sure its up to date information.

I think house owners could also place them before or maybe co-owners. I can't remember but I'm sure someone here will know.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you turn a metal box back will it go back to 'strong box'?

Also, the strong box that weighs 100 stone cannot be picked up when you release it. It must be 'retrieved' in a locked down state.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that strongbox is not the same one. that wooden "stongbox" comes from quests like "evidence" from sarakki and whatnot. quick google search suggests that the metal boxes happened when items were in moving crates when a house fell. the metal boxes could be picked up then. also says something about co-owners getting a strongbox for houses in the pre-aos days

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The metal boxes and strong boxes used to be illegal items many years ago that were confiscated by GM's. they were never intended to be owned by players, they were strictly created for decorations at banks. One day, someone figured out an exploit where they picked up the strong boxes at the banks. After they ran out of boxes to take, they began duping them to continue selling them. The original ones are the strong boxes, the duped ones are the metal boxes. The exploit was fixed and they were declared legal to own soon afterwards.

The 25 item ones, and 100 stone while empty ones were from Magincia bank and were obtainable the same time rubble was I think.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
A co-owner used to be able to place a strong box in the house they were co-owned to. iirc the command was something like "I wish to place a strong box". And it'd place a gold little box facing south that only you the owner could access.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The metal boxes and strong boxes used to be illegal items many years ago that were confiscated by GM's. they were never intended to be owned by players, they were strictly created for decorations at banks. One day, someone figured out an exploit where they picked up the strong boxes at the banks. After they ran out of boxes to take, they began duping them to continue selling them. The original ones are the strong boxes, the duped ones are the metal boxes. The exploit was fixed and they were declared legal to own soon afterwards.

The 25 item ones, and 100 stone while empty ones were from Magincia bank and were obtainable the same time rubble was I think.
I'm not say they didn't come from the above method, but I know I have received metal boxes from idoc's when that idoc had a vendor with items still in their inventory. (granted this was probably a year ago, not sure if that has changed)

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Metal boxes can definitely come from idocs if there are items in the house's packing crate. Also, these metal boxes will change to strong boxes if turned and released, and vice versa. When they're left as strong boxes, they cannot be picked up until retrieved or resecured and turned.

I'm not sure about the 25 item ones, though I do have a couple of those kicking around myself.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This doesn't work anymore (obviously b/c no one can place a strong box anymore) but one method of making them was:
Place a house.
Add a friend.
Get friend to place a strongbox.
Demolish house.
The strongbox would be left behind on the ground.

A "friend" did this over and over again back in the day before all the housing restrictions came along.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

Movable ones, back at that time, yes. But most, if not all, we see today came from IDOCs, I think - Peekay's summary above is correct as far as I recall; I used to have a strongbox for each of my BOD accounts just inside my small tower, back when 1m was a lot, houses were pricy, and 1m was just barely enough to buy me a Fel small tower way up near Justice. :D

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Oh, and since the graphic is the same, but noone's mentioned them yet, the other from way back then that you'll see is "a ballot box". Movable ones were made via an exploit, though I don't recall which one. It wasn't the same one that spawned stuff stuck in containers, that much I do remember. They were illegal to own and delete on sight for a long time, but seem to have been made ok to own within the past few years.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and since the graphic is the same, but noone's mentioned them yet, the other from way back then that you'll see is "a ballot box". Movable ones were made via an exploit, though I don't recall which one. It wasn't the same one that spawned stuff stuck in containers, that much I do remember. They were illegal to own and delete on sight for a long time, but seem to have been made ok to own within the past few years.
Umm, ballot boxes are a craftable item made by a carpenter and come in deed form.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umm, ballot boxes are a craftable item made by a carpenter and come in deed form.
Yes. And there are old bugged ones that can just be picked up and placed anywhere without having to return them to feed form.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Yup, that's why I said "movable ones" :)