• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Ethereal Items

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are ethereal items legal? (cloak, crook, and maybe others) I remember hearing along time ago that they weren't and would be deleted on sight. If that's true why, didn't they come from the same exploit that made the glacial items, 2 colored broadsword and all the other items like that?

Last edited:

The Turk

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There is a unique one the original one i know which is legal and owned by a collector. "Cloak of shadows". i do not know the other ones tho.

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes, the ethereal cloak was created the same way, and at one point in time wasn't seen as an issue. From my understanding...then ethereal clothing were being created by some dye tub bug, and suddenly ALLL ethy clothing were deemed illegal, sadly including the cloak :/

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a crook I bought a long time ago for around 10m and would love to use it but I don't dare.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a crook I bought a long time ago for around 10m and would love to use it but I don't dare.
All ethereal items are still illegal in game, as well as illegal for sale on the forums because the are against the rules in UO.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All ethereal items are still illegal in game, as well as illegal for sale on the forums because the are against the rules in UO.
Good to know Capt, To be honest I would never sell it anyways. Any idea why they just pick and choose what items they feel to call illegal?

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to know Capt, To be honest I would never sell it anyways. Any idea why they just pick and choose what items they feel to call illegal?

That's a good question but in general they are determined by:

1. Does the result disrupt the game system, i.e. making it imbalance between players e.g. portable forges and anvils, vine cord sandals etc...

2. Does it hurt the gaming company from their actual profits, e.g. transfer tokens on vendors (everyone knows back then they were duped but it was so rampant it was too hard to catch them all unless they found them in duper stashed houses and delete the entire thing etc..

3. Does it change the aesthetics of the game at the time they were created, i.e. sigil dye items (at one point they were highly illegal but as UO became more colorful so gradually those items became acceptable). The etheral items were the same way. It was ok when there was only 1 (cloak of shadows from the end of the Talkeesh Arc on Napa Valley) existed but when everything else became etheral, at the time, it was too hard to take in. And most likely, as for the discussion of their legality nowadays. probably Mesanna and her crew just hadn't thought much about it since.

4. The other way UO has dealt with duped powerful or pretty items back then was to reinvent them as replicas and made them available to everyone. It was their way of "sticking it" to the dupers from selling and profiting off of them, e.g. the original two tone weapons Calm, Subdue, dyable shrouds, Orc Chief helms etc....

Last edited: