• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Proposal: Britain Public Library

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Governors of Britain,

This term I had in mind to work towards a common goal of revamping the Britain Public Library system to refine it in a way that was much more visible --- much like the Museum and the Zoo who both have a visual addition as they cycle through the tiers. May not be this term's governor, but I am also a Countess of the city of Britain and this city is where my heart lies.

I'd love to get some feedback on this idea and once again, like the Britain Jail, work with all the governors to set things in motion.

Current List: http://www.uoguide.com/Britain_Library_Collection

Some of my ideas would be to revamp the items that are currently being offered. For example:

Clothing
============
Have all of the clothing items' graphics revamped to display Lord British's coat of arms and update the stats to reflect similar stats of Blackthorn's equivalent pieces. Maybe not as great but good enough to work into a suit. I mean it was Lord Britsh's library! :)

Talismans
============
Besides the Treatise on Alchemy, the other talismans are not that great. We could use a revamp of these talismans to reflect more desireable stats, yet not loose the stats they have. Add to them a bit. I would even suggest having them match the City Buffs. It would be a good way to balance that out.

Furniture
============
The furniture being offered is not even worth the points right now. The table lamp is about the only one we'd spend money to get. The Chair is just a cozy elven chair, nothing special to it. Change that and add in items that we would really spend points to get --- like special chairs (different options, facing all ways), chaises (like for reading that have several options), bookcases (of different sizes and looks), reading lamps (like tall ones of varying looks), a few more options to the table lamps, working desks that have a chair that sits in the middle on one end, two chairs on the other side (a couple different looks and facing all ways too).

Glasses
============
Glasses are great, but we still need some tweaks to their stats to make some of them more worth it to build a suit against. Some of them already are pretty decent, but others are just not used at all. Balance that a bit.

*** NEW ADDITION ***
====================
Player Submitted Books. Costs 50,000 points to submit. The library would have a section in it revamped to display player-written works. And each shard would have their own section. Of the submitted works, the Producer/Dev Team (or even the EM team which could be worked into some RP) would choose a story to "publish" every 6 months or with the term cycles. Could be whatever interval they feel comfortable with. These books would be copy-able to Friends of the Library, viewable by all.

This would be a very REAL and very VISIBLE addition to the shards for the Library and one that players had a chance to affect and leave behind a legacy of their own stamped into the game on their shard. Each shard's library would be unique to that shard. It would also be something that would be great fun for the Producer/Dev Team or EM Team to be part of.

So now I put it to you... what do you think? What suggestions do you have? What would you like to see?

Last edited:

Jacuyl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I like these ideas. I agree that a lot of the Mondain's Legacy items have gone by the wayside as much better armor ( both drops and peerless ) have been introduced since Stygian Abyss. I like the player book idea a lot.

Nyre

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I Like these ideas I think the whole Items of all cities need to be reworked or tweaked to fit the game as it stands today

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YAY! I knew it would, kinda like the Dock additions for the cities. The bottom line is that it is something our dev team should look at because.... its a shame that the Library does not have a VISUAL representation in the same way that the Zoo and the Museum do. I'd love to tie this into something PERSONAL for each of the shards, hence the idea of the player-written authors being selected. That would be something I could see the EM's pick up to select (the development of that for sure is well... development) out of the submissions that come in for the month or 3 months or 6 months. That would give each shard a very personal contribution to their own library. :)

Thank you for AT LEAST looking at this, @Kyronix !

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who knows perhaps some of that fiction might work well to springboard EM events or shard stories or fit into a global arc some where. Or just in general be a good place for those who might want to wade into rp to find out who has "lived" through what and where they've been.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who knows perhaps some of that fiction might work well to springboard EM events or shard stories or fit into a global arc some where. Or just in general be a good place for those who might want to wade into rp to find out who has "lived" through what and where they've been.
Absolutely Tanda! That was my original thought... to leave behind a piece of your history and to have that history be tapped into for future events and/or as storylines! That would be fantastic really for this game to do... and so very UNIQUE to UO.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Realistically, the rewards overall were never that great. I dont see any reason to change it now when the rewards that were initially popular, are still just as popular as the day they came out. mace and shields, wizard crystal, the taming tally, folded steel, a few less popular glasses. people still use those. I disagree that every single piece of gear in the game has to be the best available. Stuff like the library is perfect for a mid-range player not in vvv.

One or two easy add-in i agree would revitalize it. key word is easy. what we do NOT need is a total revamp that wastes 4 months of dev time. Player books, i dunno. Players can make their homes libraries and display all the books they want. its a nice thought i guess.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix I had a very successful event tonight --- except for a serious decay issue --- that really brought folks out to write GREAT stories to contribute. It would be awesome if you could really see about adding this feature to a revamp of our Library. It really does need it! Everyone agreed.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since libraries tend to loan things out for a limited time, being able to get 'replicas' of things that exist in the game world from there, with a timer for lifespan (30 days?) might be a nice option too, for deco items or equipment.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Since libraries tend to loan things out for a limited time, being able to get 'replicas' of things that exist in the game world from there, with a timer for lifespan (30 days?) might be a nice option too, for deco items or equipment.
That is a really neat idea.