• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Worst item of the year but funny

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'll buy anyone's Sakura mistletoe... it'd look good next to my toxic shrubbery :D

Much as I hate to hate on a Chessie item, for me it was the lantern crafted by Gypsies of Pike, if only because the name wasn't long enough to not be fakeable. I'll also second the zodiac meat... couldn't they have picked the slab of bacon graphic?

Runners up for me...
  • An Ornate Wash Basin Adorned With Caved Images Of The Old Gods - "Yog-Sothoth Awakes" - a pink and grey washbasin doesn't exactly scream "Cthulu" to me.
  • The Chessie Hordezilla items - these on general principle; too few items for the size of the event, and most gone before it even started
  • Ophidian dung - boring item, terrible graphic... and the only scatological items I want are cowpies and horse dung. :D
  • The Artifact Of The Pentad jewelery - boring...
  • I Found Peter And All I Got Was This Lame Shirt - boring...
  • Troubling Tribble - awesome name, terrible graphic
  • A Detailed Map Showing The Journey Of Events We Shared Together, From EM Aname - Not a bad item... if you took out the "From EM Aname" part of the name
  • Body Fluid Of Queen Ogre Bee Larva - Gross :p

In general, though, the thing I've not liked with items this year has been how long and specific some of the names are getting. I collect these items mainly for their decorative purposes. A book with a long name? Sure. But some shards, the names are just getting silly (looking at Atlantic, LA, Napa, and Pacific here...)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll buy anyone's Sakura mistletoe... it'd look good next to my toxic shrubbery :D

Much as I hate to hate on a Chessie item, for me it was the lantern crafted by Gypsies of Pike, if only because the name wasn't long enough to not be fakeable. I'll also second the zodiac meat... couldn't they have picked the slab of bacon graphic?

Runners up for me...
  • An Ornate Wash Basin Adorned With Caved Images Of The Old Gods - "Yog-Sothoth Awakes" - a pink and grey washbasin doesn't exactly scream "Cthulu" to me.
  • The Chessie Hordezilla items - these on general principle; too few items for the size of the event, and most gone before it even started
  • Ophidian dung - boring item, terrible graphic... and the only scatological items I want are cowpies and horse dung. :D
  • The Artifact Of The Pentad jewelery - boring...
  • I Found Peter And All I Got Was This Lame Shirt - boring...
  • Troubling Tribble - awesome name, terrible graphic
  • A Detailed Map Showing The Journey Of Events We Shared Together, From EM Aname - Not a bad item... if you took out the "From EM Aname" part of the name
  • Body Fluid Of Queen Ogre Bee Larva - Gross :p

?? What is the issue with EM Aname being on the map? It was his final event and he was a great EM for a long time.. I do not understand why you said that.

In general, though, the thing I've not liked with items this year has been how long and specific some of the names are getting. I collect these items mainly for their decorative purposes. A book with a long name? Sure. But some shards, the names are just getting silly (looking at Atlantic, LA, Napa, and Pacific here...)
Your post is so long my reply got lost in it. Now that is funny.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Your post is so long my reply got lost in it. Now that is funny.
I think it was because you replied within the reply tags.

?? What is the issue with EM Aname being on the map? It was his final event and he was a great EM for a long time.. I do not understand why you said that.
Just like some don't like shard or year names within the items, I wasn't a fan of the EM's name being within that item's name.

We have EM sashes to celebrate EMs. We've had Easter eggs and Christmas items which included EMs names. And we've had some few clicky-type items to celebrate EM-specific anniversaries/departures (EM Takako, EM Mystique, EM Vladimere, EM Faine Morgan). Otherwise, though, it's pretty rare for an EM's name to be in an item. If the EM wants a "departure" clicky, that's one thing. But for an event drop, which should be a memento of the event, not the EM, I just found it to be an extra part of this item's name which wasn't needed.

The only items I can find which weren't xmas, easter, or specific to the EM (not an event), where the EM's name was included:
  • A Detailed Map Showing The Journey Of Events We Shared Together, From EM Aname (~30)
  • A Rose Commemorating The Defeat Of Evil EM Autolycus (50)
  • A Signed Medicum Of The Vestmental Robes Of EM Bennu (Robe) (20)
  • EM Faine Morgans Enchanted Cook Pot [Caution STRONGLY Advised!!!] (~30)
  • EM Faine Morgan's Life Vest (2)
  • EM Helios' Halloween Mask [Replica] (20)
  • EM Miko's Halloween Mask [Replica] (10)
  • EM Mikos Lantern [replica] (~50)
  • EM Seppo's Ashes (8)
  • Life Vest Made By EM Faine Morgan Your Better Off With A Log (4)
  • Poorly Sewn Life Vest Made By EM Faine Morgan (3)
  • The Petrified Bones Of EM Bennu (20)
  • Tortured Bones Of EM Seppo (3)
Some are fun item names... but imho, the EM name in the item's name mixes the EM program with lore in a very strange way.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seroiusly id be glad of any drop..that aint a clicky....seroiusly it cant be random....simply impossible...can anyine show me a post by mesanna or another dev saying that it was totally random...as 0 out of 8-10 dont add up to random....it adds to top damagers only....which is not ideal

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it was because you replied within the reply tags.

Just like some don't like shard or year names within the items, I wasn't a fan of the EM's name being within that item's name.

We have EM sashes to celebrate EMs. We've had Easter eggs and Christmas items which included EMs names. And we've had some few clicky-type items to celebrate EM-specific anniversaries/departures (EM Takako, EM Mystique, EM Vladimere, EM Faine Morgan). Otherwise, though, it's pretty rare for an EM's name to be in an item. If the EM wants a "departure" clicky, that's one thing. But for an event drop, which should be a memento of the event, not the EM, I just found it to be an extra part of this item's name which wasn't needed.

The only items I can find which weren't xmas, easter, or specific to the EM (not an event), where the EM's name was included:
  • A Detailed Map Showing The Journey Of Events We Shared Together, From EM Aname (~30)
  • A Rose Commemorating The Defeat Of Evil EM Autolycus (50)
  • A Signed Medicum Of The Vestmental Robes Of EM Bennu (Robe) (20)
  • EM Faine Morgans Enchanted Cook Pot [Caution STRONGLY Advised!!!] (~30)
  • EM Faine Morgan's Life Vest (2)
  • EM Helios' Halloween Mask [Replica] (20)
  • EM Miko's Halloween Mask [Replica] (10)
  • EM Mikos Lantern [replica] (~50)
  • EM Seppo's Ashes (8)
  • Life Vest Made By EM Faine Morgan Your Better Off With A Log (4)
  • Poorly Sewn Life Vest Made By EM Faine Morgan (3)
  • The Petrified Bones Of EM Bennu (20)
  • Tortured Bones Of EM Seppo (3)
Some are fun item names... but imho, the EM name in the item's name mixes the EM program with lore in a very strange way.
Unless of course the EM made his EM character a story in itself. EM Bennu for a holloween event based on his evil EM Twin coming to take over britannia. I might event have a picture from the event. We had to kill EM Bennu's evil twin and the bones dropped:

The Petrifed Bones of EM Bennu

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless of course the EM made his EM character a story in itself. EM Bennu for a holloween event based on his evil EM Twin coming to take over britannia. I might event have a picture from the event. We had to kill EM Bennu's evil twin and the bones dropped:

Evil EM Bennu.png

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
seroiusly id be glad of any drop..that aint a clicky....seroiusly it cant be random....simply impossible...can anyine show me a post by mesanna or another dev saying that it was totally random...as 0 out of 8-10 dont add up to random....it adds to top damagers only....which is not ideal
What solution do you have?

Mesanna has made it as fair as possible.

Seriously, many complained about the previous setup saying top damager was like a communistic way of distributing the drops. They went to only a select few players, ONLY them. Given those players did put forth the extra effort to obtain the drop every time.

Now it is random. If you get looting rights, you at LEAST have a chance at getting the drop.

I see people complaining about the drop system but offer no viable solutions. With the current system, you at least have a chance to get a drop. With the previous one, you had NO chance.

You don't want clickies... yet you want a more 'fair' solution.

The current system is random based on looting right factors. If you do damage or heal players/pets enough, you get lootting rights. From that moment, you're character id number and name goes onto a list for potential drop recipients. Mesanna has already went over this many times at Dev Meet & Greets, on uo.com, and in game multiple times. What do you need further?

Not to mention you said yourself you have only attended 8-10 events over the year and received no items. Out of the 8-10, how many of those events were just RP events and how many were actually drop events?
http://community.stratics.com/threads/year-end-review.329284/

People who got the big lists of items went to EVERY event over the past year. Not just 8-10 events... they went to about a hundred or more.

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I appreciate the zodiac meat. But I collect food items. Zodiac meat is food right? :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Seriously, many complained about the previous setup saying top damager was like a communistic way of distributing the drops. They went to only a select few players, ONLY them. Given those players did put forth the extra effort to obtain the drop every time.
sorry Alex, i get what your saying, but according to political science the current system is more of a communist approach by definition ;)

agreed, in a game like UO. the player base didnt really have enough hardcore gamers to make the old system enjoyable for most peoples play style.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Fake Replica Of The Eye Of Dahsk (6)
Isnt a Replica by definition Fake? extremely small graphic too

I Found Peter And All I Got Was This Lame Shirt (25-30)
Lame. enough said.

Hordezilla Egg (5)
Sounds too much like a bad movie

The Vice Purifier [Replica] (10)
No one likes [replica]

Also bad spelling / grammar is a pet peave of mine. In the forum or just typing, no big deal, but if your taking the time to make an event item that is meant to be cherished by whoever gets it at least spell the name right :)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Now it is random. If you get looting rights, you at LEAST have a chance at getting the drop.

I see people complaining about the drop system but offer no viable solutions. With the current system, you at least have a chance to get a drop. With the previous one, you had NO chance.

You don't want clickies... yet you want a more 'fair' solution.

The current system is random based on looting right factors. If you do damage or heal players/pets enough, you get lootting rights. From that moment, you're character id number and name goes onto a list for potential drop recipients. Mesanna has already went over this many times at Dev Meet & Greets, on uo.com, and in game multiple times. What do you need further?

Not to mention you said yourself you have only attended 8-10 events over the year and received no items. Out of the 8-10, how many of those events were just RP events and how many were actually drop events?
http://community.stratics.com/threads/year-end-review.329284/

People who got the big lists of items went to EVERY event over the past year. Not just 8-10 events... they went to about a hundred or more.
iam talking drop events

were is the post by mesanna about this being random...i dont wanna hear odd poster saying they got a drop naked....anyine can say that...my experaince is 9-10 drop events and zilch.. yet i certainly attacked the boss drop...and simply not enough damage ....any damage should give looting rights ...not just the top damagers

yes i attended 9-10 drop events id love to have done more but real life and the fact iam uk based so dont like 3-4 am events kinda rules doing all events out... its a lot easier for a usa player to do a lot more events....its a small gripe but some of the players doing 150 drop events got 50 drops...thats like 34%........ i did 9-10 had nothing... iam zero%

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can u please post the thread were mesanna states the drop rules plz...iam so frustrated

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also bad spelling / grammar is a pet peave of mine. In the forum or just typing, no big deal, but if your taking the time to make an event item that is meant to be cherished by whoever gets it at least spell the name right :)
Amen. Every time I look at my "Posdion's Treasures" I die a little inside...

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive gotten frustrated by not getting looting rights also, then i just had to make the characters that do enough damage to get the rights, weavers/tamers/archers & throwers with armor ignore seem to be the top choices. while it is not the top damage dealers that get the drops, there is a threshold to do to get looting rights, which seems to vary from event to event. i wouldn't call the current drop system the fairest way, i found the old system that allowed the little bosses to have the items on the corpse the best way. at least then everyone was engaged the entire event (instead of a bunch of peeps waiting for the boss), all fighting templates could be involved, there wasn't an overwhelming amount of lag/congestion due to multiple accounts. that way had it's issues and gripes also but i feel the current system has more issues, all you have to do is listen to all the people pancakes at the EM after the events to see how angry this system makes some people.

sorry manti, didn't mean to contribute to derailing thread

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm annoyed by misspellings also... that's why i didn't really mind when i sold my Deamon Blood Candle (despite how pretty it is)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can u please post the thread were mesanna states the drop rules plz...iam so frustrated
http://www.uo.com/article/Publish-Origin-and-Izumo-Today-3172014

the "more detailed explanation" link on that page also explains it well.

maybe start another thread about it. yes they call it "top attackers list" but that means looting rights. before it meant that if there were 10 drops the actual highest 10 damagers got the drops. Looting rights can vary alot depending on boss. sometimes a character can just die, or do like 100 damage and get rights, sometimes (especially with alot of people on a boss with high hp) you can have a dragon and do a 700 hit wod and still not get rights.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

Yeah, that at least works for me - there he made himself 'part of lore'. Same with the Autolycus rose, Faine Morgan's life vest, and Seppo's Ashes. But some of those others, the EM's name just seems like it was forced into the item's name - especially true of the Aname map. Maybe a minor difference, but it irks me when it happens. :D

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
iam talking drop events

were is the post by mesanna about this being random...i dont wanna hear odd poster saying they got a drop naked....anyine can say that...my experaince is 9-10 drop events and zilch.. yet i certainly attacked the boss drop...and simply not enough damage ....any damage should give looting rights ...not just the top damagers

yes i attended 9-10 drop events id love to have done more but real life and the fact iam uk based so dont like 3-4 am events kinda rules doing all events out... its a lot easier for a usa player to do a lot more events....its a small gripe but some of the players doing 150 drop events got 50 drops...thats like 34%........ i did 9-10 had nothing... iam zero%
i did around the same... and got nothing... but i don't expect a drop only being at that many....

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, that at least works for me - there he made himself 'part of lore'. Same with the Autolycus rose, Faine Morgan's life vest, and Seppo's Ashes. But some of those others, the EM's name just seems like it was forced into the item's name - especially true of the Aname map. Maybe a minor difference, but it irks me when it happens. :D
I completely agree, I always feel like they are trying to "force" us to like them when they add their names into items for no reason. As long as it's part of the story I don't mind, but it just seems wrong for them to stick their name on random stuff. Like the holiday gifts that usually have all Dev/EM/GM names on them. Seems like it would make more sense to put the Dev/EM/GM names on only the anniversary gifts, since it's UO's birthday and just put the players name or some UO historical characters name on the rest of the years gifts.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I'm going to go with "Guts from a seaworm host to thousands of parasites"

Because, having slew a mighty beast, and looting its corpse for a rare and mythical treasure , I'm pretty sure its not going to be a pile of diseased guts.