• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Gold

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it just me or does it seem like an obscene amount of money has been thrown around lately. I give up bidding on anything because I can't compete. :(

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people can buy very cheap gold by the bucket full....like 10/15 cents a pop...to some folks spending 100 dollars extra a week is nothing....and they get a billion to fritter away....hence dont mind paying the sky high prices...I keep pleading with the devs to get rid of the 1m gold check system and mesanna as said its something on there to do list!! thus stopping the endless duping cycle of gold ....with no 1m checks the duped gold will soon dry up and order will hopefully be restored again...will take a bit of time i guess.... as there will be vendors heaped to the hilt with cleansed [cleaned] duped gold just waiting for a buyer

ivester77

Business. That's all it ever is...business.
Stratics Veteran
Come on man I'm just tryibg to be Cool I live with my mom in her Mobil home and I have no girlfriend because I was I have no arms to brush my teeth and my hair hasn't been combed in days besides my mom's Friday night meatloaf this is all I have so please please just keep farming baby!!""!

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people can buy very cheap gold by the bucket full....like 10/15 cents a pop...to some folks spending 100 dollars extra a week is nothing....and they get a billion to fritter away....hence dont mind paying the sky high prices...I keep pleading with the devs to get rid of the 1m gold check system and mesanna as said its something on there to do list!! thus stopping the endless duping cycle of gold ....with no 1m checks the duped gold will soon dry up and order will hopefully be restored again...will take a bit of time i guess.... as there will be vendors heaped to the hilt with cleansed [cleaned] duped gold just waiting for a buyer
I really don't think people are duping gold cheques. It's possible that if a person has the ablity to dupe they might include some cheques but if I had that knowledge I would do other items with a far greater value and are much easier to sell, who is going to buy a cheque vs a crimmy/tangle/rare/vet reward/anything except a cheque.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have just noticed you have to save until the one or two things you are waiting for come up for sale. The name of the game here lately seems to be come big or stay home!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
checks have been deleted by the billions..npcs with stocks to the hilt.....not long ago either....gold is duped becaquse it can be washed through vendors...only catching the duper in the act is only way to trace gold....duping items and then the duper can be traced more likey!!!...besides...uve seen the 100s of books on luna floor on every shard 24/7 of the day....they aint farming man !!!....

moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with the OP to a point. There does seem to be a lot of gold in circulation at the moment and several heavy buyers out there. But I've seen them/it before. It is during these times that I just lie low and let everything that is too expensive go and buy only the things that are a good price. Items and rares are constantly circulating, and people are always coming and going, albeit maybe not as fast as some would like, but it does happen.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
checks have been deleted by the billions..npcs with stocks to the hilt.....not long ago either....gold is duped becaquse it can be washed through vendors...only catching the duper in the act is only way to trace gold....duping items and then the duper can be traced more likey!!!...besides...uve seen the 100s of books on luna floor on every shard 24/7 of the day....they aint farming man !!!....

moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
duped checks could also be traced. if the account is ever looked at those identical numbers show up just like items. i really dont think checking duping is much of a problem, theres so much gold out there it wouldnt make much of a difference unless done in extreme amounts.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its only natural that a game as old as UO, with the age of the average player being higher than in most other online game, substantial amounts of virtual wealth will change hands. These arent kids getting allowances, most are adults with good paying jobs. why not spend part of what you work for fun? almost 2 decades of building up items / gold / characters / etc also naturally creates a scenario for very large amounts of what has been building up for years to change hands.

That being said, Gold is also extremely easy come by in game. Much easier than it was even 5 years ago. Even a new character can make hundreds of millions just by playing the game in a couple weeks to a few months.

Ive never bought gold, dont script, dont cheat, dont treat UO as a job, dont even farm or do peerless regularly and still manage to have everything i need and then some. I can say the last 2 years of the game was so much easier for me to make gold than it ever was before. Shame loot was huge. Imbuing had put a glass ceiling on the armor / weapons economy that shame loot opened back up. The market for customized suits is back. EM stuff has gotten bigger and flashier and fetches more gold. Theres so much gold changing hands that even non-collectors like to have some nice things. even more gold changing hands. Then difference between the "haves" and the "have nots" is shrinking, which is a good thing but also drives up prices. More people being able to afford stuff means more demand, which means higher price. Theres also of course less players overall, with the bloat of 20 years and gold and items. a natural cause of inflation.

So yeah stuff costs alot, theres always a few who make a splash with higher than average spending habits, there are still good deals to be had all the time and its easy as hell to make gold to spend on whatever. armor, that one very expensive rare to indulge in, or to "reinvest" in your virtual wealth. Like real life, it can be fun just to see how much you can make from starting out with nothing.

Whats awesome to see, is that theres actually new people interested in both armor and rares. Ive only been seriously in the rares game like 2 years. So im even newer, and know that rares and high end pvp is a hard thing to get into. Its refreshing to see that UO is still fun and interesting enough for new faces to show and get into the heat of it.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
duped checks could also be traced. if the account is ever looked at those identical numbers show up just like items. i really dont think checking duping is much of a problem, theres so much gold out there it wouldnt make much of a difference unless done in extreme amounts.
yes when they are duped they are identical....so bank box as 125 x 1m checks identical ....so simple simon duper goes to there vendor.. and buys items for 125m...then simply says ...vendor bank gold 125m... ''''gold is washed''''...all differnt and untraceable...it goes back in there bank all differnt numbers...jesus.....wtf ......is it just me??..can we stop ...we love 1m checks- keep it as is it ...yes the duper can get caught in the act!!!.....when its washed they are in the bloody clear...sorry but its obvoius why they dupe gold rather than traceable items

oh and dont get me started on the old school ''pact'' that was made with the dupers ...dont think wwe need to go there... do we???

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes when they are duped they are identical....so bank box as 125 x 1m checks identical ....so simple simon duper goes to there vendor.. and buys items for 125m...then simply says ...vendor bank gold 125m... ''''gold is washed''''...all differnt and untraceable...it goes back in there bank all differnt numbers...jesus.....wtf ......is it just me??..can we stop ...we love 1m checks- keep it as is it ...yes the duper can get caught in the act!!!.....when its washed they are in the bloody clear...sorry but its obvoius why they dupe gold rather than traceable items

oh and dont get me started on the old school ''pact'' that was made with the dupers ...dont think wwe need to go there... do we???
i read in a post somewhere that it doesnt mater if the actual item is on the account or not, that the id number of created items can be looked up. so any account with identical numbers on its permanently flagged with those id numbers. maybe someone who knows more on the subject could enlighten. one way or another, theres no one and no system taking the time to look up those flagged accounts and investigate. If there was a system, items with identical id numbers could just be auto-deleted. judging from the utter failure of the "nonvendorable dupe detection system" i doubt they could get it right and people would probably be complaining from unexplained poofed items.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
listen...enough of this crap talk.... get rid of checks... will stop any duping of them...simple...if checks dont get duped then its no matter... but we know they do as billions have been erased not long ago by the devs........HEY noboby banks checks anymore... they use vendors to store silly amounts of gold... so a digital system will work for everyone...its only like when u use the ''house tool'' or the ''insurance gump''... to check your balaance.....the new system will use a similar ''check bank '' .....again simply get a figure that u have in your bank....why people side with the dupers is beyond belief...

again do we need to discuss the old..'' pact'' that was made way way back with the olde school dupers...as iam happy to oblige...if soooooo