• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Mining in fel

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, a red killed my young miner on Atlantic in a mine in fel yesterday (she didn't have protection activated to recall out; now she does). It made me wonder how often people get attacked mining in fel nowadays (I've never had it happen on Legends) and what templates you use to deal with it (fight or flight). Feedback?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the makers of the game have made serious errors in controlling griefers in the game. Till that is fixed (probably never will be) I just mine in Trammel and I have 4 ore carts. Haven't been to fel to mine since the creation of Tram except a couple times by accident long ago when there was some error happening. I never saw anyone else during those couple or three times I accidentally went to fel caves to mine. I knew it was fel because I was getting double ore and the landscape was like fel

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I rarely see anyone when mining in Fel, but I do avoid the most obvious mining caves. For relative safety and double resources try mining in Cove.

The Old Man

Journeyman
Premium
Stratics Veteran
I only mine & lumberjack in Fel, rare to see anyone let alone a red!

Which is a shame...For the double resources there should be SOME risk and while I don't want to die to a PK, I ought to sometimes - If you see what I mean!

If it happened I'd probably accept that if the PK had a clue what they were doing I would die anyway, so might as well try and fight just in case it was a newbie. With 300 points in Mining, Lumberjack & Tinker, fighting someone skilled up & equiped for PvP is not going to end well!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, I know dying is part of the game in fel - cost of doing business there, blah, blah - but killing my fire beetle (I failed to mention that) was pretty unnecessary, because it wasn't guarding me (I didn't want it to attack ellies), so I'm sure it didn't attack the player). That made me think this was a new red with nothing better to do or not able to kill anybody else (and I did have time to type "Loser" before I died :). Still, getting double the resources was worth paying a vet 11k to resurrect the beetle after that one encounter - unless it starts happening a lot.
I must say, each time I get Pkd on a character not equipped to fight gets less traumatic.
@Percivalgoh - I just don't have the patience to mine in Trammel :)
@Petra Fyde - I marked a rune to fel Cove after that encounter but found the ore pretty meager there on Atlantic, probably from other cautious miners with the same idea

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I believe the makers of the game have made serious errors in controlling griefers in the game. Till that is fixed (probably never will be) I just mine in Trammel and I have 4 ore carts. Haven't been to fel to mine since the creation of Tram except a couple times by accident long ago when there was some error happening. I never saw anyone else during those couple or three times I accidentally went to fel caves to mine. I knew it was fel because I was getting double ore and the landscape was like fel
It's not griefing to kill someone in Fel. If you don't want to PVP, stay in Tram. The mere fact that you set foot in Fel indicates that "I am willing to PVP". There's even a question box before you "accidentally" walk though a gate into Fel that forces you to acknowledge this fact.

Now, killing a miner, and then spending 1000 words degrading that person in general chat (there is a guild on my shard whose sole existence is to ruin Gen Chat as a meaningful communication tool - their name even says so) is griefing.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not griefing to kill someone in Fel. If you don't want to PVP, stay in Tram. The mere fact that you set foot in Fel indicates that "I am willing to PVP". There's even a question box before you "accidentally" walk though a gate into Fel that forces you to acknowledge this fact.

Now, killing a miner, and then spending 1000 words degrading that person in general chat (there is a guild on my shard whose sole existence is to ruin Gen Chat as a meaningful communication tool - their name even says so) is griefing.
Agreed, killing a miner in Fel is not griefing. But the bigger question in the OP is, What's your strategy for mining in Fel - fight or flight, and what template to do use to accomplish that?
EDIT: OK, I'll go first. I plan to prepare both fight and flight. My theory is that the good PvPers don't generally waste time with miners and a miner with a good dexxer template might be able to defend himself against the PKers that go after miners. So I'm going for 100 mining, 115 mace, 115 tactics, 110 anatomy, 100 healing, 100 focus, 80 chivalry.
I plan to mine with a suit that has 85 physical so I can run protection and hit a recall scroll if I need it. I'll have my elemental mace for ellies and a faster mace with HLD for humans.

Last edited:

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mine in Fel ALL the time on Atlantic, Lake Austin, and Sonoma. It has been many years since I have seen a red on the latter two and rarely on Atlantic now. I do not consider killing a miner to be griefing, and have killed many miners over the years as well. It's all par for the course gathering resources in fel....

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I mine in Fel ALL the time on Atlantic, Lake Austin, and Sonoma. It has been many years since I have seen a red on the latter two and rarely on Atlantic now. I do not consider killing a miner to be griefing, and have killed many miners over the years as well. It's all par for the course gathering resources in fel....
But do you kill fire beetles?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never said killing a character was griefing so lay off . killing a character to enjoy the discomfort experienced by the player is griefing so just because you don't understand that doesn't mean I don't.

Santos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just got attacked for the first time in a long time this week in a fel mine. In hindsight I wish I had stayed and fought instead of hightailing it out of there. My extreme miner is 120 Swords/100 LJ/110 Tactics/100 Anat/90 Heal/100 Chiv/100 Mining so I think I could have maybe surprised him. If I get killed mining, I'll find a healer and keep going. Doesn't really bother me .

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just got attacked for the first time in a long time this week in a fel mine. In hindsight I wish I had stayed and fought instead of hightailing it out of there. My extreme miner is 120 Swords/100 LJ/110 Tactics/100 Anat/90 Heal/100 Chiv/100 Mining so I think I could have maybe surprised him. If I get killed mining, I'll find a healer and keep going. Doesn't really bother me .
Yes, that sounds like you might have sent him running. What shard are you on - maybe the same guy on Atlantic?

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kill and dry loot. Kill pet.. Skin it for hides and meat. Dismember body.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I couldn't tell you the last time I got attacked while mining in Fel probably not in the last year or more. Since it happens so rarely, my strategy is flight, but if I'm against someone who knows what they're doing, I have a roughly 0% chance to survive the encounter.

I never said killing a character was griefing so lay off . killing a character to enjoy the discomfort experienced by the player is griefing so just because you don't understand that doesn't mean I don't.
I 100% agree with you that PKing someone solely to cause them emotional anguish is basically the definition of griefing, however, unless the PK asks you permission first, I think you must make the assumption that if a character is in Fel - then they are OK with being PVP, that is why trammel ruleset exists.

Lord Damascus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Bugger the reds. In fell you should uncover Ents or Tree Men every once in a while when Lumberjacking and Eles for Mining. Imagine finding that Frostwood magic Tree and a Valorite Equivalent of a Tree fellow starts jogging after you. Oooooh what fun that'd be.

anyways.. bye.

Love Damascus.

Santos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bugger the reds. In fell you should uncover Ents or Tree Men every once in a while when Lumberjacking and Eles for Mining. Imagine finding that Frostwood magic Tree and a Valorite Equivalent of a Tree fellow starts jogging after you. Oooooh what fun that'd be.

anyways.. bye.

Love Damascus.
I always try to leave an elemental, preferably copper or valorite, in the caves with suspected scripters.

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a script miner in Cove Atlantic Fel side. He can mine an area I just cleared, I stand on the same tile as him and there is no metal here to mine, regardless of what client I use, classic, uoa, enhanced, he can mine more than me in places I cant. I tried targetting with shovel and I cant get anything. He script mines about 4 hours a night, midnight till 4am eastern so I've had plenty of time to experiment with him. I've calledGM and they did nothing so Im assuming he is their little buddy.

As far as miner PK's in Fel... If you want PVP, step outside the guard zone at the Yew moongate. You aint looking for a fight, you cant make any kind of progress by killing miners for ingots. You're only their because this is the only fight you can win. You're a trammie punk and nothing else. You might pk my miner but know this, I'm laughing my rear off AT you. You might as well be wearing a Milli Vannnilli shirt.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got a script miner in Cove Atlantic Fel side. He can mine an area I just cleared, I stand on the same tile as him and there is no metal here to mine, regardless of what client I use, classic, uoa, enhanced, he can mine more than me in places I cant. I tried targetting with shovel and I cant get anything. He script mines about 4 hours a night, midnight till 4am eastern so I've had plenty of time to experiment with him. I've calledGM and they did nothing so Im assuming he is their little buddy.

As far as miner PK's in Fel... If you want PVP, step outside the guard zone at the Yew moongate. You aint looking for a fight, you cant make any kind of progress by killing miners for ingots. You're only their because this is the only fight you can win. You're a trammie punk and nothing else. You might pk my miner but know this, I'm laughing my rear off AT you. You might as well be wearing a Milli Vannnilli shirt.
That reminds to put "Loser" on a hot key on my miner

reed taylor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the meaning behind loser but people that have an "11th digit" small enough to pk miners has been called a loser so much they are numb to the term. Like calling a loaf of bread, a loaf of bread. It's gotta cut deep, something with enough truth in it to actually hit home. Trammie punk ain't it either though.

The Old Man

Journeyman
Premium
Stratics Veteran
If Miners NEVER get PK'd why should we get double ore for the non-existant risk?

A PK death once a week and double ore is far, far better than mining in Tram.

If the risk goes away you never know the Devs might take double ore away next time they fiddle with it's spawn.

The Old Man

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to the OP's question, my crafters all train up their beetles. It may not guarantee survival but it will occasionally give someone a little bit of surprise. Per a discussion in a different thread regarding leather gathering, I've also started training up some of the boura which act as a secondary body guard for those rare occasions someone feels the need to flex their crafter-killing muscles.

Last edited:

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My miner/lumberjack is red.... So I spend all day in fel. It's actually really nice, all the other miners run when they see me coming. :thumbsup:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@LowdownandShifty That's funny. What template does your miner have? How do you handle an attack from an aggressor who is not just another miner?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Yadd of Legends, I use the flight method. Felucca is all about risk and reward... I usually have 2-3 seconds before a red engages me, which is plenty of time to recall away. If you use magery's protection, you're almost sure to get away. Afterward, I either move to a new spot or swap to lumberjacking/fishing for a bit.

:tinhat:I designed my template exclusively for gathering resources and fishing. (Fencing/archery/tactics is actually there for killing sea serpents. :pirate:My talisman has deep sea serpent killer +82% for the bigger ones, and my weapon is an elven spellblade with HLL 44%, Hit Lightning 44%, Spell Channeling, SSI 20%, DI 40%.)
  • 110 fencing/archery
  • 110 tactics
  • 105 mining (+5)
  • 100 tinkering (i stone this between my mule and this char)
  • 100 lumberjacking
  • 100 fishing (goal: 120... but oohhhh sooo slow and no PS to boot!)
  • 75.8 magery (+26)
  • 50+ points free for whatever else I feel like using
  • 149str (+24), 110 dex, 34 int (+14)
  • 124hp, 115 stam(+5), 73 mana (+39)

I also have a quick escape macro: whisper "All follow me", Recall/Sacred Journey (target=runebook), Target Nearest Enemy, use Confusion Potion (target=current). I whisper the pet command as to not draw attention to myself. The confusion potion goes off just before I recall away and is pretty cool looking, imo (fire for effect). The macro has no delays, and my fire beetle is bonded to me.

I also try not to mine in open areas where someone can just run up on me. For example, instead of mining the Covetous exterior, try the passage between levels 1 and 2. It's harder to catch someone by surprise there; a miner has more warning a red is coming.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine in Cove or Delucia. Or possibly the Minoc Mines which is a very short distance from a guard zone. Have maximum strength to avoid becoming overweight. Wear good resist armor. Bond your fire beetle if not already bonded. My strategy is to mine only with a fire beetle, smelting as I go. If there is trouble, mount up and run or recall away. Another option is mining on a boat.

My template:
Swords 100
Tactics 100
Anatomy 100
Healing 100
Magery 100
Lumberjacking 100
Mining 100

Also, it just wouldn't be Felucca if the beetle/mount wasn't killed.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Interesting template - I never considered putting LJ on miner for extra swords damage. Do you think you will ever eat a few power scrolls to go above 100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The template is meant to gather wood as well, which is the reason for lumberjacking, so the damage bonus is just icing on the cake. I probably will not be putting powerscrolls on this character since he doesn't do any serious fighting. Mainly the fighting skills are for harvesting ore elementals. As an additional note, taking magery to 100 is probably quite unnecessary, as its main purpose is for marking runes and casting invisibility. This is just my lazy template though; there are plenty of ways to adjust it and augment it with armor to make it more effective, but for my purposes I find it unnecessary.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You needn't much power to kill an ore elem.

My first crafter has:
120 Blacksmith
120 Tailoring
100 Tinkering
100 Carpentry
100 Arms Lore
120 Imbuing
45 Magery
15 Music

So my second crafter is going to have:
100 Mining
100 Lamberjacking
100 Bowcrafting
100 Alchemy
30 Tinkering
100 Magery
90 Chivalry
100 Tactics

Right now he has only 67 Chivalry and hasn't Tactics (he has 100 lockpicking and 30 carpentry). It is not a problem because I don't worry how fast I kill an elem. I just cast EOO and continue mining, waiting for the elem is die itself. There is no much sense to use special moves.
My miner is not going to solo Slasher or kill a PK. Designing something special is like designing a suit to kill a skeleton.
When I am attacked by a PK I don't waste my time to riding a beetle, I just press a hotkey to SJ out (the bonded beetle automatically goes with me).

When I wan to hunt ore elems in a dungeon I just move mining to my warrior.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@CorwinXX Do you have protection on from a scroll to be able to cast sacred journey without being interrupted?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have protection on. With 100 magery (and 100% LRC suit) I needn't scroll to cast it.
You said you cast sacred journey when attacked. Is there a reason for casting sacred journey instead of recall, since you have both chivalry and magery?
BTW, @CorwinXX, I'm sure I'm not speaking only for myself when I say we appreciate all the time and effort you put in to test out so many different templates, armor and weapons and spreadsheets and formulas and then post the results. I can't begin to imagine how you find the time and energy for it.

Darius Bloodbain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My strategy is that if i cant recall out in time, i just "DIE" lol. since I have no offensive skills on my miner.
What I wanna know tho, is who is Hi- Jacking U out of 11k to rez your beetle, cause thats a lot worser in my book than your miner dying to an aggressor in fel. On my shard, we rez peoples pets for free. anyone in gen chat that asks for a pet rez gets one, cause there is almost always someone on, that is willing log on their tamer.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had the npc vet at the new haven stable rez the beetle, and it cost me 11k. This was about 3 am, not sure if any tamers were on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Rezing pets is the worst part of it for me, too. As a red, I can't go to Luna bank. So it definitely complicates matters.

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
OKAY! I got it! Best way: Train camping to 100. Use Kindling to start campfires along the mountain side. Lay out bedrolls every 20 steps or so. When a red comes along, double-click a bedroll and logout! :danceb::dunce::loser:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You said you cast sacred journey when attacked. Is there a reason for casting sacred journey instead of recall, since you have both chivalry and magery?
BTW, @CorwinXX, I'm sure I'm not speaking only for myself when I say we appreciate all the time and effort you put in to test out so many different templates, armor and weapons and spreadsheets and formulas and then post the results. I can't begin to imagine how you find the time and energy for it.
I needn't take off my weapon to cast SJ (so I have more defense during casting). Also I think SJ is faster (I'm not sure though).

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I suppose so if you've got that kind of money to spend on 4/6 jewelry for a miner :)

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assuming the chivalry cast time in this post is correct, I'd go with magery recall, with FC 2 if you're not using protection. Provided the information is accurate, FC 4 chiv is the same as FC 2 magery (and consequently, FC 2 chiv the same as FC 0 magery with protection). The advantage in magery is that you don't need FC 4.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I prefer mining in Delucia/Fel but since no one has mentioned yet: there are also guarded mining areas near Britain. Last time, I encountered a red while mining, we both were shocked. He that actually someone was mining and me seeing a red one running around. After a short conversation, we both parted our ways unharmed. I guess the other one just wanted to confrim, if i am botting or not. (Ofc i was not and it was in guard zone.)

Duke_Hammerfest

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i tried minin in fel after reading this thread. i actually had quite a bit of fun with the resource + ! im glad i didnt see no reds cause my miner is pretty much my crafter and i would have just stayed still and died.

on a side note... i used to love to PK miners in fel when i had my stealth nox fencer on my original account ! since none had skills other than crafting on their miners. nowadays im sure its way different with soulstones and all :)