• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How long have you been playing WoW?

S

sqdlin

http://wow.mmosite.com/updates/wow_a_walk_down_memory_lane,1.shtml

http://As gamers we are constantly searching for that next title that will completely blow us away. This search is never ending and it is inevitable that no one game will satisfy a gamer forever, even with fresh content updates regularly. A lot of us invest years of our lives into games, until one day we just burn out. The perfect example of this is World of Warcraft, having played since Vanilla I have spent a good six years on and off with this one game. In the beginning, it was life changing and every corner I turned there was something new and exciting to explore. I must give credit to WoW as while it wasn't the first MMO I played, it was the first title to change my views about subscription models.
The author has spent 6 years on it. Me, 5 years. What about you guys?

E

Eyes of Sosaria

Been with WoW 6 years myself, taking a break recently of about 5 months and just now popping back on to see whats going on and maybe recapture interest. I loved the old days of WoW and still do. Got into Lich quite abit, but didnt care for the changes recently.Meaning Cat. Things are so different. been playing fantasy games since 1982 with D&D and haven't stopped yet. I am also a very big die hard fan of Diablo and will probably put everything else aside when that comes out. But yes, it takes more then new content to keep the interest and in some MMO games, I hate the new changes. Just a quick 2 cents worth .....:)

Mavric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing 6 years off and on. The last expansion has almost killed the game for me; I just don't care for it, skills should've been left alone. Cat has made the game way to easy.
I have 4 level 85's no level 85 horde.

Mavric

J

JonasAbyss

Since day one so almost 7 years. Give or take beta and a break or two here and there.

E

Enyia

hey guys,
as for myself been playing since about a week or 2 after it was initially released, i have 5 lvl 85's DK, Shaman, Druid, Warlock, Hunter all Alliance lol. took a break between Outland and Wrath but i do agree with Eyes of Sosaria and Maveric that Blizzard should have left or possibly finished Cata before releasing it. it is seriously buggy there isnt any real appeal to it. Something needs to be done with it to make it a bit more fun challenging but still trying to put my finger on what that should be lol

Y

Yellow Python

I don’t have much experience and I’ve been playing it for about 5 years.

Adiados

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've been playing about a month after classic was released. I've seen a lot come an go from the game but I've loved every minute of it.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I has question!!

*winks at our new ME*

Say a gal was gonna start playing with y'all......

Get me started on who, what, when, where and why.....

aaaaand....

GO!

Adiados

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I has question!!

*winks at our new ME*

Say a gal was gonna start playing with y'all......

Get me started on who, what, when, where and why.....

aaaaand....

GO!
Well, not to be generic but, most girls i've met on the game usually start as shaman, priests or druids because they can heal or do good dps roles. There's a rare girl hunter every now and then and hunters are excellent DPS. Now, if you're into cute stuff, you'll probably hang towards the Alliance because they have the ever adorable Gnomes or the sleek Night Elves. Unless you're one of the zombie chicks then its off to the Horde for you to become a Forsaken. When you play is up to you. Most girls that play are usually work at home types or stay at home moms so make sure you have your job in check and your kids aren't busy climbing in the oven. Remember, take the game in moderation! Where, normally everyone plays at home. Theres the odd dungeon here and there that people will play through at a coffee house just to pass the time. I prefer a bean bag and a giant pillow for back support.
Thats all I have :p

A

aragon3

From last year I hadn't played Wow game. I have start Gears of War 3 last month.

T

TheSheep

I played WoW about 4 years, since i passed the exam for a technical school...
but 1 year ago i took a short break and now i started playing again rolleyes:

K

kamugi

I've been playing for 5 years now and have enjoyed most of its content but Ulduar will always be my favorite.

deoblin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
6 weeks after launch. I hadn't really played any MMO before but I was a fan of the Warcraft RTS games. Was interesting to see many of those characters in a much larger version of Azeroth.

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
I've been playing the game since the day it came out. I was just 15 years old at the time, and my father took me to the midnight release after I was a serious wc3 player (8th FFA in ladder 2).
Despite my experience in wc3, I had no idea what an MMO even was and just assumed it was going to be another RTS type game.
That will be 10 years ago this coming November, and since then I have learned many many lessons in the game.
Its truly spectacular how many long-time friends I have made in the game, and consider a good 10-15 of these people better friends than most people I know outside the game, despite likely never seeing their face in front of mine.
This is what an MMO is all about, and the reason I will never play another one, as no matter what features they offer, I know I would be playing it alone and have to remake that friend-pool from scratch after playing with the same core of people for 5 years.
To put things in perspective, I have 385 days PLAYED on my main toon total, so over a full year of time has been spent playing.

Its all about making friends and enjoying the amazing options the game provides. When it first came out 10 years ago there was pretty much just leveling and raiding. Now there is more things to do in the game than I could list here in an hour. Never been a better time to play!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These are the stories that take us from game to reality. So many feel this way about what they started with, including UO, an important part of Stratics, but this is a reminder that WoW has been just as inspiring and created a lifestyle of friends and gaming all other titles aspire too. I'd love to hear more backstories like this, thanks Metro!

Syiler

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I've been playing WoW for coming up to 8 years now. I started because a friend of mine was playing and had no one he knew playing it, so I got a hold of the game and created my Night Elf Warrior called DTT (My real name initials because im so creative). I attempted to get past a level 5 Owl because I assumed it was going to attack me, died and then struggled to get my corpse so "quit" the game on the first day I tried it, calling it a stupid game.

The next day I spoke to my friend who told me I had joined the "Alliance" and he was "Horde" so I had to recreate my character which was now a Male Orc Hunter! I enjoyed the hunter a lot and got my first pet once I hit 10 a scorpid I named Sting, it may sound dumb but I got attached to Sting and kept the same pet all the way to max level and even through leveling in The Burning Crusade once that was released. Unfortunately later down the line I was told the Scorpid was a bad pet and I needed to get something else so I had to leave poor little Sting in the stables while I went to get a better pet. The game was a lot of fun as a "noob" but even now as an experienced player it just gets better.

I still enjoy WoW to this day, the game just keeps getting better but if you haven't enjoyed WoW then I would imagine its because you aren't apart of a community to play with "Hint hint WoW Stratics Guild" as without the people iv met while playing WoW I would not have continued playing if I was alone.

meoni

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Oh man what a topic, what a question.
Back in the days of my laptop gaming (worst gaming decision of all time) I got introduced to the game by a friend of mines boyfriend, shortly before she married him and gaming took an exit from his life :p.
It was The Burning Crusade at the time, and I believe it was somewhere in the middle of the expansion being out as I remember ZA being one of the most recently added raids.
I started playing a Undead Warlock, completely oblivious as to what to do since the guy who introduced me to the game literally quit the same week. I remember getting stuck fighting Furbolgs in Ashenvale, some quest where you had to protect a totem and kill waves of enemies. Something I'm pretty sure would of been no real challenge had it not been for the fact that i decided to buy 'what was cool' from the auction house that same day, completely negating even the idea that the statistics on the gear had anything to do with my characters ability to kill things.

Eventually I did kill my Furbolg masters, and ground my way up to 70, where I formed my own Karazhan raiding guild. We raided ZA whilst Black temple was progression, which was I hear the cool thing to do.
Generally I never became serious in raiding until Sunwell's release, where I got into as many pug/semi guild runs with friends I had met along the way through daily heroic dungeons. This all prepared me for Wrath of the Lich king and some actual progression raiding!

Roughly around 8 years of time, most if not every second day of the week logging in and doing dailies and raiding at the weekends. It's been a great adventure, and certainly one that has shown me more socially than I could of done in real life. Especially since I live in one of the most barren, endlessly boring parts of the UK. Filled with nothing but fields and old farmers!

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I've been playing for about two years now. My first character was a Night Elf Hunter. While that is still my main, I have branched out into the realm of healing via a Shadow/Disc Priest and a Mistweaver Monk. I am currently working on a Taurean Paladin and a Worgen Druid.

In my case.. the Furbolgs were not my downfall.. the gnome miners just outside of Goldshire were! I got over anxious about the candles and down I went. To this day I take out every single one of them I can. *totally tries to hide her vengeance streak*

thow

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've been playing WoW since TBC release. My first character was an Undead Mage. It got to level 70, then I got bored of him. In WotlK I made a DK, and I played as DK until now (Ima warrior naow!).

Syiler

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

Oldest screenshot iv got to hand this was one of our Gruul kills back in TBC. How the game has changed! Along with my UI xd

Metro

Stratics Veteran
The most bizarre thing is how far addons have come. Look how ugly that interface on those addons are lol...
Funny how some guy takes the time to type out "heal" though...
Not much has changed in that respect lol.

meoni

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

Yeah, Ui's have come on a fair bit lol. Also remember a time when blessings cost you a reagent... Seems an ice age ago.
The people i played with during this time were the best, shame hardly any of them stuck around for WoTLK onwards.
Without getting too rose tinted, this was my favourite moment in WoW, purely for the people I played with and not the content.

Randoflan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I joined around the end of BC I think... I remember seeing these Ads on TV with Mr. T and everything, so I picked up the free trial, and began my journey with an Undead Warlock, HallowsEnd was on when I joined the game, I must've spent my first month of the game putting out fires in Brill and riding my broomstick. I bought the BC and WOTLK expansions at the end of my Trial and made a BloodElf paladin, nothing beats thinking back to being such a noob at the game, but luckily I made a friend in the Belf starting zone who taught me the ropes and even invited me on a run to Shadowfang Keep. Fastforward about a year and finally hit 80 with a DK I made, running the 'Forge of Souls' dungeons was so exhilarating and I remember thinking I had finally become one of those people with the cool armour that I used to /w standing around in Orgrimmar and ask where they got their mounts and armour. As I said, they're some of my most fond memories.

Metro

Stratics Veteran
Damn those freckles though. 1 week is all that character needed to break my heart </3
If you need any assistance along the way just let me know!

Skunk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been playing since launch, played hard up until WotLK then real life took over. I always come back when a new expansion is released...might pre-order WoD tonight and fire my account back up.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played WoW for close to 5 years on and off. I'm not sure if I will play again or not. All capped out characters except for warlock...could never get into that class. Still stuck at level 74 lol.

Metro

Stratics Veteran
I played WoW for close to 5 years on and off. I'm not sure if I will play again or not. All capped out characters except for warlock...could never get into that class. Still stuck at level 74 lol.
Capped out in Levels? Nowadays the game doesn't begin until you are level 90 and soon to be 100. You should check out some of the max level content you likely missed before deciding if you want to play again or not. MoP added more stuff then the entire game had prior!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure games always changed but at the time I had the best gear at the time. The game never really begins until you finish gear grind and attain what you want, but WoW has made some serious mistakes over the years trying to appease to the masses in my opinion.

My main issue I guess I had is one class didn't do it, I played at least 8 other classes at max level to satisfy my interest. Back in WoTLK I stuck to 2 or 3 classes. Less skills = less interest to me.

But I'll take your advise and give it a once over again at some point.

Metro

Stratics Veteran
Sure games always changed but at the time I had the best gear at the time. The game never really begins until you finish gear grind and attain what you want, but WoW has made some serious mistakes over the years trying to appease to the masses in my opinion.

My main issue I guess I had is one class didn't do it, I played at least 8 other classes at max level to satisfy my interest. Back in WoTLK I stuck to 2 or 3 classes. Less skills = less interest to me.

But I'll take your advise and give it a once over again at some point.
Ya, that was the point I was trying to make. The "mistakes" don't really apply to the end game. Especially with Mythic around the corner, the glory days of Raiding are in front of us. MoP 25 man raiding was spectacular, and from what we have seen from the Beta WoD mechanics and bosses will be even more interesting.
Never been more excited.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing the game since the day it came out. I was just 15 years old at the time, and my father took me to the midnight release after I was a serious wc3 player (8th FFA in ladder 2).
Despite my experience in wc3, I had no idea what an MMO even was and just assumed it was going to be another RTS type game.
That will be 10 years ago this coming November, and since then I have learned many many lessons in the game.
Its truly spectacular how many long-time friends I have made in the game, and consider a good 10-15 of these people better friends than most people I know outside the game, despite likely never seeing their face in front of mine.
This is what an MMO is all about, and the reason I will never play another one, as no matter what features they offer, I know I would be playing it alone and have to remake that friend-pool from scratch after playing with the same core of people for 5 years.
To put things in perspective, I have 385 days PLAYED on my main toon total, so over a full year of time has been spent playing.

Its all about making friends and enjoying the amazing options the game provides. When it first came out 10 years ago there was pretty much just leveling and raiding. Now there is more things to do in the game than I could list here in an hour. Never been a better time to play!

I really liked your short discussion here, quite touching. WoW unfortunately has lost a lot of flare for me that other games still have. But no you can't have my stuff. Maybe some day I will be back. I do like pally, I just can't fathom playing it. Warrior, hunter, and rogue don't play the same to me any more sadly.