• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Shard Name & Date

How do you feel about shard name and real life date on items

• Total voters

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of why i love UO is because it takes me to another time and place. As a rare collector, i like my collectables to fit into the theme and decor of my house or my character (for wearables)

Having the shard and the real life date listed in a title ruins what otherwise might be a really cool item for me.
My characters have no idea about these strange holidays, other shards, or foreign numbers.

Just wondering everyone elses opinion on Real Life date and shard being added to items.

Orich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends for me.

If you've been collecting rares for a long time, you may know the inherent date of an item. For newer or returning collectors, it might help knowing how old it is for nostalgic reasons or simply a perceived value in age.

Phoenix Suits and Singing Balls, for me, remind me of the year I graduated highschool. A constant reminder just how special this game truly is, and how important the items are within it :)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't say I'm a big fan of it myself either mate.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't collect anything that has a shard name, date and I'm slowly phasing out all RL holidays as well as EM/Staff names from my collection.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I am OK with it on limited items like EM holiday gifts, but would prefer that other items had more realistic names. This goes for the trend for recent items to have a two paragraph title as well - things like "Smoot's extra large, slightly wrinkled, long-lost, lime-green, frilly leisure suit that he wore once to prom in 1968 and had such a bad time that he put it in the back of his closet and forgot about it until the fire forced him to move temporarily to his third cousins house in Boise". I would much prefer something with a title of "Orc Axe" or some such.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am OK with it on limited items like EM holiday gifts, but would prefer that other items had more realistic names. This goes for the trend for recent items to have a two paragraph title as well - things like "Smoot's extra large, slightly wrinkled, long-lost, lime-green, frilly leisure suit that he wore once to prom in 1968 and had such a bad time that he put it in the back of his closet and forgot about it until the fire forced him to move temporarily to his third cousins house in Boise". I would much prefer something with a title of "Orc Axe" or some such.
How did you know what i wore to the prom ! :eyes:

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also agree that I like it on em holiday gift items, besides that I'd really prefer they didn't put the shard names on items.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I wish instead of the RL year they would put the UO year. That would be AWESOME. Mesanna PLEASE?

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I lost and my wife lost some things that can be replaced... but not the originals we collected. My original singing ball for example... i gave to her and was lost due to account management changes.. when both our houses fell on baja. ..

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish instead of the RL year they would put the UO year. That would be AWESOME. Mesanna PLEASE?
Id be happy with the uo year for items for stuff that absolutely must have a date for some reason. at least it would fit in the game.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont like having the shard/date on items... There are a few that I like the name of and would likely collect, but having the date just ruins them for me.