• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search on TC1

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree with Dot.
if we are reverse engineering something that already exists illegally in the game it better work better than that one we have been using for years, or no one will use it.
i admit i dont search for items much, but when i do its usually pretty obscure stuff or power scrolls.
being on ATL and leafing through 1000 120 PS of all flavors to see if there is a 120 myst does not sound like fun or a good use of my game time when i can just look on another site and have my results in under a second.

and while i know the dev's work hard ive been here long enough to know that there are gonna be no sweeping changes to what we see here today.
historically once stuff is set out into TC is pretty match set in stone with only minor tweaks if any at all.
so id imagine that what we see today will be what we are getting.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree with Dot.
if we are reverse engineering something that already exists illegally in the game it better work better than that one we have been using for years, or no one will use it.
i admit i dont search for items much, but when i do its usually pretty obscure stuff or power scrolls.
being on ATL and leafing through 1000 120 PS of all flavors to see if there is a 120 myst does not sound like fun or a good use of my game time when i can just look on another site and have my results in under a second.

and while i know the dev's work hard ive been here long enough to know that there are gonna be no sweeping changes to what we see here today.
historically once stuff is set out into TC is pretty match set in stone with only minor tweaks if any at all.
so id imagine that what we see today will be what we are getting.

Ok, if that's the case - then that's the case. Personally, I'm still extremely happy with the ability's the vendor search has, right now, and if they change nothing - then it'll still be the best thing to happen in a very, very long time. Anyone who wishes to use the 3rd party sites will certainly continue to do so, I'm sure... It may not be as perfect as you want, but as it is right now with no furthur changes - it's still going to give the economy back to everyone, where it belongs...

And I'm going to give the dev's the benefit of the doubt once again, and express my appreciation of both what they've done here and what I believe they will add as best they can as time goes on....

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Need to have an option for highest to lowest price, reason being all the crap is gonna be really cheap of course. if im looking for a 5ssi ring, i dont want to sift thru the 100 "bad" ones, i just want to see the best ones. which are going to be the most expensive.

This goes for just about anything. the most desirable items are going to be the most expensive, so should be listed first.

Should also say how many pages. so you know how many items you are dealing with.

the name search doesnt seem very effective. i typed in "artifact" and all i got was about 25 minotaur artifacts.... no shame loot. not even doom or stealing stuff.

How it is now, ill probably be using a combination of the third party sites and the ingame one. its just not clean enough to be able to use all the time and only works depending on what your searching for.

its a very good start, has a long way to come and needs alot of cleaning up. ill miss the good deals, everything will be luna price now, inflation will go up a bit. but its a good change for the overall game i think. if it can be done right and my house doesnt disappear or something from the bugs.

Last edited:

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
works in Pinco's here.

* Search Text Box too small. Can't even search for "Legendary Scroll Tailorin" < cut off here....
* more search results per page pls!
* ability to sort
* vendor/shop name and location display?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Can't even search for "Legendary Scroll Tailorin" < cut off here....
I've not tried it but does it accept something like "120 tailor" rather than having to type the whole "Legendary Scroll of Tailoring"?

Last edited:

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I've not tried it but does it accept something like "120 tailor" rather than having to type the whole "Legendary Scroll of Tailoring"?

Unfortunately this doesn't seem like a google-type word combination search but rather an exact phrase search. so "120 taillor" doesnt work. I think only "Legendary Scroll of Tailoring" would work, but does not fit in the text box.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From post #46:

Yes, the item description is probably one of the first things that the dev team will enhance. Right now it seems to only be able to search the first part of an item's description. For instance: If you're looking for a Legendary Scroll of Archery, what you're able to search for is Legendary Scroll of - and that's it - there's a limit to the text input. But, for now it's fine. Search for Legendary and just look thru the results. They'll get it fixed as soon as they can, of that I'm confident.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, this is what drives me crazy with UO maps.

i search for a item, find it, it generates a map, i look at the map, i look at where the map PIN is, i go to that house..... its not that house, its the house across the street WHERE THE PIN IS NOT!

so we are back into the T-Hunting map where i know need to look at where the pin is then triangulate to the red end of it and draw an imaginary line to the xy axis that does not exist and put a imaginary pin there... thats where i have to go.

i hate that.
its a pin.
you put the pin into the map where you want to go, not 20 tiles east and 20 tiles south of where you put the pin in.

for the vender search this makes it nasty because on the map im looking at it tells me to go to the house on the west side of the street... no vender with the name im looking for there.
go across the street where the map pin is not and there is the vender im looking for.

there is something to be said for clarity!

also, interesting how it takes you to the house sign for the vender and also to your own house sign if you return trip.
ill have to remember to insure my items before i return home as i live in fel!

Last edited:

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im just thinking if i where to read UO maps in RL.

id be at the fire hall, call would come in, id look at the map board, find the house i have to go to, then id have to go across the street and down 3 houses..... thats where the fire is!

UO map pins drive me bat $hit crazy!!!

its the whole reason i have 3 Davies lockers full of maps ill never do.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i search for a item, find it, it generates a map, i look at the map, i look at where the map PIN is, i go to that house..... its not that house, its the house across the street WHERE THE PIN IS NOT!
I just right clicked on the map and picked "Teleport to vendor". All been ok so far.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firstly, great addition to the game .. well done team !

Some feedback based on my experience.

The free text search will be most useful to me and many others I expect as I will generally know exactly what I'm after - currently I can type in "scrapper" and get all the Scrappers Spellbooks but if I type in "25%" or "scrapper 25%" I get nothing back. Possibly some issue with the use of "%" in the search string.

Currently I'm not getting any mouse-over information on any of my chars on the GL copy on TC1 so it's impossible to differentiate between items. It doesn't work for any of the item property display mode options. 2D client.

I think cheapest first is great but it would be also great to have a toggle so you can choose your own preference. I expect I'll usually know exactly what I want (ex. 20 fishing scroll) and will just want the cheapest one available.

More than 5 items per page would be lovely so it would be great to have an option to do this.

Currently you have to be pretty exact with your search terms if typing more than one word. For example "armor of fortune" works but "armor fortune" or "fortune armor" does not. Also "elemental slayer" and "blood elemental slayer" return no results in the search box but do return results if you choose Blood Elemental Slayer through the menus.

Teleport to vendor places you in exactly the same spot under the house sign. I wonder if this might lead to griefing if the spot can be blocked.

Thanks.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is great news....

But please explain why i had a thread locked a few months ago when i asked about the update for this....It puzzles me so?

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a few notes: statistics, Be nice if we could have some type of sales per item statistics.
The search string for broken/titles words, Such as te term "Gold" or "Powder" should have many differnt results.

Reactions: hen

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately this doesn't seem like a google-type word combination search but rather an exact phrase search. so "120 taillor" doesnt work. I think only "Legendary Scroll of Tailoring" would work, but does not fit in the text box.

Nice to see this happening, though I can't imagine why a single person on earth would propose such an system over an simple free text search box. I always thought the 3rd party sites had this poorly implemented, but Devs again top it :(

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I used the recall spell on the map, maybe not realizing that I was supposed to use the context menu.
Wonder if that's an exploit, ha. Because you're supposed to have to pay in order to recall there, I thought. Generating the map is free so far...but getting there, I imagine, was supposed to be a gold sink.

Seems correct. For example, if you search "Sword," you will get "stone war sword," and "sword display." One word searching is very flexible. But if you want only stone war swords, yes, you have to type "stone war sword."

If you search "legendary," or "scroll," you will get power scrolls (you will have to go through a few pages in order to find power scrolls using a "scroll" search). But, like you said, you can't get results from "legendary tailoring," and if you try something like "swordsmanship," you'll get nothing.

They'll need to do some work on how items are indexed.

I'm also not a fan of how the system only works within a guard zone. I'd want to be able to use the search within my house if it's going to be left on the context menu.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did some very very time consuming deciphering of how the database is stored and I came up with the reason why we can't search for 120 power scrolls (and probably the scrappers problem too)

if you go letter by letter, symbol by symbol, and 1 number at a time to try all possible combinations, you can figure out what's actually stored in the database - as you can imagine, this took quite a while but here it is:

this is how powerscrolls are stored in the database... "A Legendary Scroll of ~1_type~ (120 Skill)" ... and that's why you can't search for a particular powerscroll by name - took about 2 hours to figure this out ... you're welcome - hehe

type in "scroll of ~1_type~ (120" into the search box and you'll see that you get all the 120 powerscrolls back as a result

they're doing a simple string comparison for the search (ex: if search_string in database_string then %found = true)

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To those who are comparing this to the third party sites, and there's been a couple already, I need to point out a few things that really should be obvious.

If this works correctly it'll be searching all vendors, not just Luna and selected others. (Usually it's outside of Zento.) That in and of itself makes puts it in an entirely different category. Remember that as of now aside from consumers the current third party system only benefits those with vendors in Luna or some other place the sites happen to gather data from.

There is also a distinct limit, it would appear, on how smooth such things can run in UO. (And the third party sites never have been 100% smooth for me anyway.)

Which is one of the several reasons I've cited for years for why this system won't replace the vendor search sites. I wouldn't think it was meant to. Rather it was meant to be of use to those who don't want to do all of our shopping in Luna or those who don't want to do all of our selling in Luna.

Indeed, based on the small amount of testing I've done so far it's actually smoother than I'd expected it to be.

-Galen's player

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm also not a fan of how the system only works within a guard zone. I'd want to be able to use the search within my house if it's going to be left on the context menu.
Patch notes say:
Players will be able access the vendor search from a context menu on their character while within a safe logout area or justice region
"safe logout area" includes your house. If you read #63 you'll see that Voodoo Bad Mojo went from his house, since he mentioned that he was returned to under the house sign

KingHen

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hell of a start. The start many of you said would never be. It will get improvements, it is now our job to provide constructive (read that word again) feedback so we can get what we need out of this wonderful start. Well done Devs for pushing the rock over the hill.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maps can be obtained for vendor locations. Players may also use these maps to purchase transportation to the vendor house (return trip included) for non-Siege rule-set shards. Players will be able access the vendor search from a context menu on their character while within a safe logout area or justice region.
I have a few questions about this, if anyone has experimented enough to answer them and a couple of other questions, including some that maybe only Kyronix or the engineers can answer. Unfortunately, I'm just too swamped with Christmas preparations to log in and mess around with this on TC1 right now.

• Question for Kyronix: On Mugen and Siege Perilous shards, will you be able to get a map to the vendor house? If yes, it sounds like it will just be a map and won't have any options built into it for using it to travel to/from the vendor. Also, how long will the map last on these shards and will it be blessed (i.e., will it last long enough for you to use it to get to the vendor and will it survive your character's death(s) on the way to the vendor location? And does the map show any information other than a pin, e.g., the name on the house, the name of the NPC vendor?
  • Can anyone confirm what's considered a "safe logout area or justice region"? I'm thinking that "safe logout area" means (1) houses that your character owns or to which your character is co-owned or friended, (2) inns, (3) taverns. And is "justice region" anywhere within a guard zone, regardless of facet? If you can use the maps for to/from travel while your character is in an inn, does this include inns or taverns in Ilshenar? Does it include the Hanse's Hostel inn in Malas?
  • If you use the map to travel to a vendor from a house that your character does not own, but to which it is a co-owner or friend, will the character return to that house or to somewhere else if using the map for a return trip?
  • Do you need to have the fee for using the map in loose gold in your backpack or bankbox, or will it be deducted from a check if there isn't enough loose gold in your bankbox or backpack?
  • If the house with the vendor is in construction mode (i.e., the owner of the house owns ALL of the vendors on the house and is doing some rearranging) when you try to do a search, will the vendor contents show up in the search results? And if you try to use a map to get to the house while the house is in construction mode, will it work and actually take you to the house even though the vendors are not available at that time?
  • Do search results exclude "not for sale" items, e.g., BODs not for sale, books, containers, key rings?
  • How quickly after a vendor packs itself up for lack of funds or expired agreement will the contents of that vendor no longer show up in search results?
  • How quickly will the search database update itself for things like changes in vendor/shop names?
  • Do the search results include items listed as available to buy on Magincia commodity or pet brokers? If not, are there any plans to include those items at a later date?
  • How hard is it to search at this point for BODs that are actually available for sale?
  • How soon does the team expect to push this publish to Origin/Izumo and then to the rest of the shards?
Edited to add these questions:
  • Will the vendor search include the contents of vendors at houses in the Abyss dungeon?
  • If yes and you aren't on Siege or Mugen, will you be able to use a map from the search feature to travel to/from vendors at houses in the Abyss dungeon, even if not a friend or coowner on the house?

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they nipped all this third party BS in the butt in the first place. Hired and blended TugSoft. They would of never had to compete or play ketch up. Would of been easier just putting a second wall around Luna with another goldsink raffle for plots. Hunting down and castrating the owner of the system dropping books about Luna would make for a great YouTube video. And a best learning tool for those that need it.

Last edited:

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone know what the refresh rate is on the update to the system?

im gonna go put up a vender and put something strange on it and start checking every 5 minutes to see how long it takes for it to show up.

in a remote fel location.

Tanieran

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Tina, I was just able to do a vendor search on a character co-owned to the house she was standing in. The map that the vendor search generated was a Map to the vendor name. The map took her to the vendor house, and then took her back to the house she had started the search in.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
holy hell!

logged into TC1
ran to luna, purchased house placment tool and a vender contract.
ran out to the middle of no where in fel, middle of the forest.
placed small house @ 9:57
put up vender @ 9:58
put staff of magi on vender @ 9:59
did initial search for 'staff' @ 10:00

it was there!
it was there instantly!

so i searched item again, it showed up.
i took item off vender.
searched for it again, it did not show up.
i put it back on.
searched for it again, it showed up.

it refreshes instantly!

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a few questions about this, if anyone has experimented enough to answer them and a couple of other questions, including some that maybe only Kyronix or the engineers can answer. Unfortunately, I'm just too swamped with Christmas preparations to log in and mess around with this on TC1 right now.

• Question for Kyronix: On Mugen and Siege Perilous shards, will you be able to get a map to the vendor house? If yes, it sounds like it will just be a map and won't have any options built into it for using it to travel to/from the vendor. Also, how long will the map last on these shards and will it be blessed (i.e., will it last long enough for you to use it to get to the vendor and will it survive your character's death(s) on the way to the vendor location? And does the map show any information other than a pin, e.g., the name on the house, the name of the NPC vendor?
  • Can anyone confirm what's considered a "safe logout area or justice region"? I'm thinking that "safe logout area" means (1) houses that your character owns or to which your character is co-owned or friended, (2) inns, (3) taverns. And is "justice region" anywhere within a guard zone, regardless of facet? If you can use the maps for to/from travel while your character is in an inn, does this include inns or taverns in Ilshenar? Does it include the Hanse's Hostel inn in Malas? TWIN OAKS IN ILSH - NO, HANSE IN MALAS - YES
  • If you use the map to travel to a vendor from a house that your character does not own, but to which it is a co-owner or friend, will the character return to that house or to somewhere else if using the map for a return trip? WILL BE RETURNED TO THAT HOUSE.
  • Do you need to have the fee for using the map in loose gold in your backpack or bankbox, or will it be deducted from a check if there isn't enough loose gold in your bankbox or backpack? WILL PULL FROM LOOSE GOLD THEN GO INTO EATING CHECKS JUST LIKE BUYING FROM A VENDER.
  • If the house with the vendor is in construction mode (i.e., the owner of the house owns ALL of the vendors on the house and is doing some rearranging) when you try to do a search, will the vendor contents show up in the search results? And if you try to use a map to get to the house while the house is in construction mode, will it work and actually take you to the house even though the vendors are not available at that time?
  • Do search results exclude "not for sale" items, e.g., BODs not for sale, books, containers, key rings?
  • How quickly after a vendor packs itself up for lack of funds or expired agreement will the contents of that vendor no longer show up in search results?
  • How quickly will the search database update itself for things like changes in vendor/shop names? SEEMS TO BE INSTANT
  • Do the search results include items listed as available to buy on Magincia commodity or pet brokers? If not, are there any plans to include those items at a later date?
  • How hard is it to search at this point for BODs that are actually available for sale?
  • How soon does the team expect to push this publish to Origin/Izumo and then to the rest of the shards?
Edited to add these questions:
  • Will the vendor search include the contents of vendors at houses in the Abyss dungeon?
  • If yes and you aren't on Siege or Mugen, will you be able to use a map from the search feature to travel to/from vendors at houses in the Abyss dungeon, even if not a friend or coowner on the house?

Last edited:

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
from messing around with this im gonna go ahead and put this out there.
i think they are using the house database for the vender search.
i think when you search for something their engine poll's the house database and looks for public houses, then of those ones with venders listed off the sign, then from there it searches for the item.

also would make sense since when you pick to go to the vender that it takes you to the house sign instead of right to where the vender is.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting.

it only goes off gold in your bank.
not gold in your backpack.
it does not even see the gold in your backpack.
i dumped my bank box to 0 and had 50k on me and it wouldnt go.
i put 500 gold in the bank and had 500 gold on me, no go.
so it pulls gold exclusively out of the bank for using the map hop.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
of course they use the live item database to search for your items - did you think they were going to make a copy of it every 15 minutes and then search that or something weird like that?
that wouldn't make any sense and would be extra work - I totally expected the vendor search to work off the main database - it would be stupid to do it any other way

Orich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thing is clunky, slow, and horribly designed.

I'll code this the right way for a Malas castle.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting.

it only goes off gold in your bank.
not gold in your backpack.
it does not even see the gold in your backpack.
i dumped my bank box to 0 and had 50k on me and it wouldnt go.
i put 500 gold in the bank and had 500 gold on me, no go.
so it pulls gold exclusively out of the bank for using the map hop.
Which is perhaps laying the ground work for the later removal of gold except as decoration; a little frustrating now but avoids slowing down the vendor search now a feature it wont be using for long.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch notes say:
Players will be able access the vendor search from a context menu on their character while within a safe logout area or justice region
"safe logout area" includes your house. If you read #63 you'll see that Voodoo Bad Mojo went from his house, since he mentioned that he was returned to under the house sign
I guess I would just be greedy to ask for a search function within ANY house, huh? ;) lol but ok, thanks for that!

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the Magincia stalls included in the search?
for sure the pets are not.
i just checked that.
and from what i can see no the other merchants are not.

but then how would they be?
they dont sell a single item but whatever quantity you want, so how would that be listed in the vender search?
plus there is no house attached to the merchants, again goes back to my speculation that this whole system is tied into the house database.