• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where to go?

Sahjahn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi all,

Returning player here after taking a small (9 year) break from UO. I remember back in the day when your skills were around 60 -70 a great place to go was Despise. You could build your skills and as a new player get a nice little bank account started.

However Despise seems to have changed over the years. A lot. I must admit I'm feeling a little lost now and am not sure where a good hunting spot would be. Any suggestions?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The loss of Despise is one we mourn to this day...
It was a huge loss.

I'd suggest covetous level 1, at the harpy area.
Not very profitable, but they won't aggro on you until you attack them, and you can collect a huge stack of feathers there.
You will get decent gains there up to 95 or so.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree Bealank, While I like the concept of the new Despise,I really wish they had chosen a different dungeon for it and left Despise as it was. it was a perfect training dungeon. :(

Sahjohn- Welcome home!! :) You might also try Shame (stay near the entrance it has changed also), or the black solen infiltrators in the maze below Wind. Later on the painted caves give you good gains but can get a bit hectic if your healing isn't up to snuff.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sahjahn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the replies! It really is a shame about Despise, but I will take your advice and try the areas you suggested.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes, it was. It allowed young toons to also get a decent amount of gold during their training.
I still remember how thrilled I was the day I made my first 200K and could afford that all 70s, 100 LRC, MR 6 suit, all from killing Ettins at Despise.
We don't have anything quite like that anymore.

Well, the suggestions of Shame level 1 (near the entrance, or the altar), as well as Wind Labyrinth are great ones. Painted caves is a good place once you have a repond slayer with mana leech and life leech. You will be able to get a fair amount of coin there.

Veldrane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, I was quite disappointed when I came back to UO and saw what Despise had become. However, I found the newbie dungeon in New Haven and Fel Despise (L1 & L2) to both be good places. I saw that Wrong got updated too, but I'm not for sure if it got too buffed for non geared out players - that's on my list of places to check this coming weekend.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually I recommend going to the Desert outside Tokuno.... to the North.... Kill Orcs up there.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haven has a Earth Ele spawn in it's dungeon. There is a new one by the miners. You can also kill the undead to the east of town if you're not high enough to kill the elementals. An earth ele slayer is pretty common drop.

Dragonater

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haven has a Earth Ele spawn in it's dungeon. There is a new one by the miners. You can also kill the undead to the east of town if you're not high enough to kill the elementals. An earth ele slayer is pretty common drop.
Actually, if I remember correctly, The miner's cave was set up as a mini Despise after complaints about losing the orig. Despise. It has 2 floors Earth on top with Gargs and Ogre Lords below really nice for leveling up newer chars. and a little loot. If ya want to try it, Sahjahn, from Haven go South along shoreline just a short distance and you're there

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There are also lizard men on the second level of the new haven mine.

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Don't go after the lizardmen in the center of the newbie dungeon. There are usually 3-4 Ogre Lords that spawn with them that will drop a new player in 1-2 hits. I'm not sure what the purpose of the New Haven Mines are (except a good place to farm Earth Elementals). I think that they put that dungeon together really quickly and I hate to be mean to the people who are running my favorite game... but it really shows (and if you didn't make it quickly... wow).

If you're looking to train a Melee character though, I strongly suggest the Skeletons in the Yew Crypts. They are AWESOME to go from 55-75, and after that you just head over to the Felucca Despise and hunt normally. I've only seen a few other people there and they all left me alone (killed once there on Siege, but he ended up helping me out afterwards). You should be good there until around 85-90 and then you just fight Trogs in the Painted Caves.

Again though, do NOT go after the lizardmen in the New Haven Mine. They won't hurt you at all, but the Ogre Lords will make you curse the heavens.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Don't go after the lizardmen in the center of the newbie dungeon. There are usually 3-4 Ogre Lords that spawn with them that will drop a new player in 1-2 hits. I'm not sure what the purpose of the New Haven Mines are (except a good place to farm Earth Elementals). I think that they put that dungeon together really quickly and I hate to be mean to the people who are running my favorite game... but it really shows (and if you didn't make it quickly... wow).

If you're looking to train a Melee character though, I strongly suggest the Skeletons in the Yew Crypts. They are AWESOME to go from 55-75, and after that you just head over to the Felucca Despise and hunt normally. I've only seen a few other people there and they all left me alone (killed once there on Siege, but he ended up helping me out afterwards). You should be good there until around 85-90 and then you just fight Trogs in the Painted Caves.

Again though, do NOT go after the lizardmen in the New Haven Mine. They won't hurt you at all, but the Ogre Lords will make you curse the heavens.
There are skeletons in mass right next to Haven. Why venture to Yew Crypts? Kill Undead next to Haven and then Earth Eles. Some guildies can give you a good suit once you're in 80s and start venturing out. The Ogre Lords/Earth Eles are separated by a different level mechanic type rope. It's on the East side of the dungeon. You just double click the coiled rope and it takes you there. I agree with Endal... It's crazy in that small place with 4 Ogre Lords.

Not being able to cross the tracks is bad too.

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Very true about the Skeletons in New Haven, I just prefer the Yew Crypt area for hunting because you don't have to move. Just stand in the door-jam in the center and they come to you ;) They have a good quick spawn-rate, too.

Also, I've heard that the New Haven monsters are weaker than the ones in the rest of the world. The Skeletons will only take you to around 65 while the ones in the Crypts will take you to 75, etc...

Xel N'Jare

Adventurer
Actually, if I remember correctly, The miner's cave was set up as a mini Despise after complaints about losing the orig. Despise. It has 2 floors Earth on top with Gargs and Ogre Lords below really nice for leveling up newer chars. and a little loot. If ya want to try it, Sahjahn, from Haven go South along shoreline just a short distance and you're there
OLs hit like a truck though .. You've been warned!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I'm not mistaken, you could still go Despise Felucca. If its only for training, there is little to lose.

Apart from that I loved to hunt in Ilsh, especially Titan Valley with the odd para Titan. Not sure though thats 70-80 skills :D

Despise should be warning to never ask this team to revamp any classic part of the game you might enjoy. Haven mines is a total joke IMO.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deceit is also not a bad dungeon to play around in. You can kill skeletons and zombies and mummies on level 1 as well as some low level casters. Level 2 basically the same thing with skeletal knights and low level casters. Plus you can double click the brazier in the room on level 1 just to the left of the entrance and get a random monster to spawn. Deceit has not been revamped. Orc dungeon is another decent spot to train in for a change of scenery if I remember it also has some earth elementals tucked away in the back by the orc brute.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Y'all know this post was necroed from like 5 years ago right? You may be helping someone though so please continue.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you go with Covetous, collect the feathers off the harpies. I believe with 0 skill in fetching you can make arrows. You need shafts to. But you can get regular boards with 0 LJ skill to. Sell arrows to NPC Bower/Fletchet and Provisionist. Should make 25 to 50gp per arrow on ones that get shopped alot. That's 12500 to 25k per 500 arrows. Not much in UO economy today but should help a little.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I go to the desert outside of Tokuno... there I kill everything I see except the blue birds that lowers Karma... but most everything there is great good gains little bit of everything and if you are mage you can grab some spell scrolls off the bugs when you kill them... orcs are good for hunting...

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I’ve trained fighting and healing skills up to 120 on four characters in Shame dungeon just fighting earth els and mud pies near the cave opening. They give 400 gold each and magical items I brought home for my training imbuer to unravel. Resist I trained in New Haven.