• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Musicianship] Monster fun & profit for the lonesome bard [2013!]

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
***** 2013 *****

Sometimes you are alone in UO - be it because you decide to be alone or because there just isn't anyone out there. Please imagine a bard that might not know everything about things that are new in 2013.

---

Think of a bard with 2-4 bardic skills + something like Animal Taming or Mysticism. Or even Throwing or Archery if need be. Imagine a trained bard, not a bard in training. The bard will have enough gear to get by but gear won't be 'über'. The bard surely wants to take something home - gold, artifacts, valueables. The bard is not the greediest kind, though. The bard does not want to think of his / her adventure as a waste of time that would have been conducted better by a sampire.

Where does the lonesome bard fight monsters for fun these days?

Last edited:

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I, also, have found myself as a lonesome bard wandering the lands. I don't have the best armor and companions so tasks like Champion spawns and Peerless bosses are out of the question for me.

However, I found that the Mini-Champ spawns in the Stygian Abyss offered me a unique challenge, imbuing ingredients (some can fetch decent prices in the marketplace), and the chance for a rare artifact. I navigated the spawns and would use my Provoking skill to make the creatures fight and would use Discordance to weaken them. Some of the spawn also drops a hefty amount of gold... make sure to bring a Bag of Sending.
I head on over to Shame when I'm looking for simple and mindless farming. Reason being is that the mobs in there have a chance to drop some items that can fetch quite a hefty price if it has the right stats on it (non cursed, no -luck, non brittle, etc.). I acquired a ring in there off of a Mud Elemental that sold for 40 million gold. More worthwhile if you get some additional Luck gear to wear while farming there.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a pure bard, I like to hunt the air elementals and poison elementals in Shame: level 3 for magic items. They're a lot of fun and are a bit of a challenge since they throw out spells but nothing a bard can't handle. Good practice too.

For gold I like fighting the rune beetles at Yamandon Point. A nice amount of gold each kill (900-1200) and they go down really fast against earth elemental summons when disco'd. Not to mention they spawn really fast.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Noone hunting the swoop any longer? Any peerless or champion hunting even? Maybe in a group of two bards?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I enjoy taking my disco tamer into the labyrinth and see how far I can get before being over powered, I enjoy shame a lot as well. Mini-champs in SA is always fun. I also have a disco/prov archer which is a lot of fun but thinking of dropping the prov and adding bushido.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
SA came out in September of 2009. There is no where new to go so I am not sure what you are looking for. I listed the places that I usually solo with my bards which is what you were asking. Aside from armor and weapon changes, everything is basically the same this year as last year and those changed didn't end up being drastically different. Maybe I misunderstood your original post? I would love to help but I guess I am a little bit confused.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are all very helpful and I think you people are creating a nice little guide that is very current in 2013.

Additionally I was wondering if there was any new content in 2013 that I was not yet aware of.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I wish there was a new dungeon or something new to kill but hopefully in the future.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe nothing new and nothing too exciting, but I can collect the void crystalls from the void manifestations in the abyss. (For the gathering of proof/gathering of evidence quest) For my bardic skills it is challenging enough. So enough that i dont do it often.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe nothing new and nothing too exciting, but I can collect the void crystalls from the void manifestations in the abyss. (For the gathering of proof/gathering of evidence quest) For my bardic skills it is challenging enough. So enough that i dont do it often.
I thought these were events that are no longer active. Thank you for this one.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a pure bard, I like to hunt the air elementals and poison elementals in Shame: level 3 for magic items...
Could you teach us your method to successfully use a pure bard on the UEV's?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pure bards can be reasonably successful in the Exodus dungeon. The new exodus critters have some of the new loot on them as well as gold and the exodus key drops. Even if you are alone in the dungeon a single bard can manage the crowd pretty well. I like to lure a few of the champions with me and use them to take down everything else.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could you teach us your method to successfully use a pure bard on the UEV's?
4 diseased blood elementals make pretty quick work of an UEV. If you lure them all to the right place you can teleport out to one of the islands and provoke away.

Edit: a word of caution though... The blood eles have pretty good spell casting ability and will still be able to cast on you while you are on the island. If they get the better of you there is no way off the island as a ghost except help stuck.

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
  1. Champions (?) vs. stuff at Exodus dungeon (never been there, so I am kind of ignorant to indegenous champions there.
  2. UEV vs. 4 Diseased Blood Elementals.
You don't happen to have that on a Youtube video, do you?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You don't happen to have that on a Youtube video, do you?
Sorry, no YouTube videos here. If you wanna see it hop on napa and I can show ya.

Champions are the top tier of the new exodus critters that are not agressive to positive karma players. They make great weapons to provoke against the discoed agressive mobs.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4 diseased blood elementals make pretty quick work of an UEV. If you lure them all to the right place you can teleport out to one of the islands and provoke away.

Edit: a word of caution though... The blood eles have pretty good spell casting ability and will still be able to cast on you while you are on the island. If they get the better of you there is no way off the island as a ghost except help stuck.
So how did you manage to get the UEV across the bridge to the Bloods and not die in the process from the mass of Bloods?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So how did you manage to get the UEV across the bridge to the Bloods and not die in the process from the mass of Bloods?
I generally bring the bloods across the bridge to the UEV... very carefully!

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Area peace... Invis or what not.... The whole process isn't speedy though just because with that amount of casting I'm sure it's pretty frantic. It's also possible to just use an Elemental slayer and Despair / Tribultion to Nuke the UEV. Select poison dmg obviously and Med when drained of mana. There are spots on the Fel side where a UEV cannot reach you. It's might be technically against the rules, but UEV's have the ability to pull targets in that attack at range so maybe not... of course that ability only works if the target is farther away than 3 tiles I think heh. A maxxed out 4x120 Bard does 46 Dmg Despair Tics every 2 Seconds.. and because it's PvM Despair inherently does 1.5 Base dmg so that's 69 damage and when you make it a slayer is 3x for 207. Then figure 60 poison resist for a UEV on average and lets call that 82 dmg every 2 seconds.. so 41 damage / sec. 20,000 hp = 8.13 Minutes not counting down time to Med.... 12-15 Min maybe? So.. possible yea... but waaaaaay better to just bring a Sampire lol. You could also throw a corpse skin in there to speed things up but you sacrifice something to do so. Ahh.... shoot.... Don't forget Disco & the damage from Tribulation. Number crunch that if you want to. I wanna say my record is about 9 min per.. but you need LOTS of elemental slayers heh.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A new idea just came to my mind. In some other thread I read about new "Sampires" that walk without Necromancy, i.e. don't walk in Vampire Form. They use reforged weapons with vast amounts of Hit Life Leech to compensate.

This would free up ~ 100 skill points. I had once tried to fight UEVs with a sampire-disco-bard because a Sampire aided by a bard with Discordance finishes UEVs a lot faster (really a huge difference). I did not stick with this combination because it was not any better than the "pure" sampire. My bard-sampire lacked Chivalry, Bushido, maybe both. With the aid of either Bushido or Chivalry or some weird combination I am very tempted to try again.

Basically it would be a melee fighter which tries to survive without healing skill and which relies on HLL instead. Aided by Discordance.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In truth if I want to kill UEV I duel client my pure bard and my sampire with a ww weapon... Get all 3 UEV on the sampire and discorded with the bard while running both of the provoke bard songs and ww them to death... By far the fastest way I know to kill UEV.

Pure bard is not the fastest way to do much of anything... but it is certainly doable with just that template.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In truth if I want to kill UEV I duel client my pure bard and my sampire with a ww weapon... Get all 3 UEV on the sampire and discorded with the bard while running both of the provoke bard songs and ww them to death... By far the fastest way I know to kill UEV.

Pure bard is not the fastest way to do much of anything... but it is certainly doable with just that template.

Well you can AI them down in less than 3 min WITHOUT a Bard Helping.... I think doing that 3x is possibly better than killing 3 with WW. If you put a Disco Bard with Tribulation on the AI UEV then yea I'd say AI would be faster.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well you can AI them down in less than 3 min.... I think doing that 3x is possibly better than killing 3 with WW. If you put a Disco Bard with Tribulation on the AI UEV then yea I'd say AI would be faster.
Even assuming 2 minutes per UEV with AI and Trib, you still need 6 minutes to kill 3... Double axe swing with ww at 1.25 will kill all 3 in about 4.5 minutes.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well you can AI them down in less than 3 min WITHOUT a Bard Helping.... I think doing that 3x is possibly better than killing 3 with WW. If you put a Disco Bard with Tribulation on the AI UEV then yea I'd say AI would be faster.
My sampire's suit is not good enough for limitless AI.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even assuming 2 minutes per UEV with AI and Trib, you still need 6 minutes to kill 3... Double axe swing with ww at 1.25 will kill all 3 in about 4.5 minutes.

Double Axe... 150 Str, 120 Skills, 100 DI, 100 LJ... = 69 Dmg on Average. 3x that =207 . UEV.. avg poison resist = 61.. Disco'ed it's -14 P Resist ... = 53% of your dmg gets through 53% of your Avg WW hit = 109 Damage / 1.25 Sec. = ~87 Damage / Sec (Assuming you won't miss a Disco'ed UEV.. which is VERY rare heh) 20,000 / 87 Dmg per Sec = 1.9 Minutes !! ~ Roughly !!! of course this doesn't count time spent gathering all 3 or getting em all Disco'ed or keeping your bard alive etc... You could speed it up somewhat if you could squeeze hit area in also. Also.. obviously I'm assuming 100 LJ for best case scenario and of course if your going to dual client you might as well throw in corpse skin which would be another -15 poison resist... Those are getting to be pretty epic times at that point heh. Fun stuff though I still honestly think I'll stick with AI spam bc I only have 1 account. I've also tried to build the luck sampire suit for a 100 LJ verion of that character with corpse skin and Double strike spam for a single UEV and it dind't pass GO on the paper brain storm stage bc I coudln't squeeze all the + skill items needed for me to be comfortable with it's durability. 2 Accounts makes everything different thoguh.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Double Axe... 150 Str, 120 Skills, 100 DI, 100 LJ... = 69 Dmg on Average. 3x that =207 . UEV.. avg poison resist = 61.. Disco'ed it's -14 P Resist ... = 53% of your dmg gets through 53% of your Avg WW hit = 109 Damage / 1.25 Sec. = ~87 Damage / Sec (Assuming you won't miss a Disco'ed UEV.. which is VERY rare heh) 20,000 / 87 Dmg per Sec = 1.9 Minutes !! ~ Roughly !!! of course this doesn't count time spent gathering all 3 or getting em all Disco'ed or keeping your bard alive etc... You could speed it up somewhat if you could squeeze hit area in also. Also.. obviously I'm assuming 100 LJ for best case scenario and of course if your going to dual client you might as well throw in corpse skin which would be another -15 poison resist... Those are getting to be pretty epic times at that point heh. Fun stuff though I still honestly think I'll stick with AI spam bc I only have 1 account. I've also tried to build the luck sampire suit for a 100 LJ verion of that character with corpse skin and Double strike spam for a single UEV and it dind't pass GO on the paper brain storm stage bc I coudln't squeeze all the + skill items needed for me to be comfortable with it's durability. 2 Accounts makes everything different thoguh.
I didn't go through all the math, but my average ww damage with the double axe is closer to 90 per UEV per swing... 270 total damage per swing with all 3 discoed, air ele slayer, provoke song damage increase and honor on the main target to negate the ww penalty on the first target.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I haven't used him in a while but I had 1 melee bard

120 Swords (+10 Dread Pirate Hat)
120 Anat (+15 Bracelet)
120 Tact
100 Chiv
120 Music
120 Disco (+15 Ring)
60 focus

I only used one skill mod on the ring and bracelet so I could leave room for HCI/DCI. Later on I got Captain John's Hat which was +20 swords and dropped the mods on my jewelry to +10 instead of +15. I also thought about stoning swords and going with macing but it would throw the template off so I have not tried it yet as the I would have to find something else to take +10 (replacing hat) or take a slot from the jewelry which I did not want to do. You can also drop chiv down to 80 to take on more focus but I didn't have a mana problem so I liked the ectra damage from gm chiv.

Last edited: