• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do crafters gain Faction rank?

Fargrist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Recently returned to UO and I cannot ride my facton war horse.

My character is Faction carpenter/tailor with vet for Faction mount ressing. Zero combat ability.

I've not been able to find information on how I can achieve Rank 2 so that I can once again ride my war horse.

I'm declared Carpenter TB if that makes a difference. Have been for many years.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry it took a while to respond. You gain points by killing opposing faction members or by stealing Sigils. As a crafter, you need someone to give you points.

“I honor your leadership” If the giver has 10 or more kill points, this will transfer kill points from one faction player to another
in the same faction. Giver will lose 5 kill points, receiver will gain 4 kill points. One point is lost in the transfer.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Click on the stone in the faction stronghold and see if you get the "Declare Faction Merchant" option. It should present you with another gump that lets you declare yourself as a specific type of crafter, depending on your character's skills. The available options are Scribe, Carpenter, Tinker, Blacksmith, Bowyer, and Tailor. I think you can only pick a particular skill if your crafter is at least GM in that skill. (The character I used for the screen shots below has 120 tailoring and smithing and 63 tinkering, so you can see her only choices were blacksmith or tailor.)

I am pretty sure that once you have declared your character as a faction merchant, your crafter can ride a faction war horse without needing to have rank 2. I won't swear to it, however, as I've never taken advantage of it for any of my crafters that were in factions! Just never got around to doing it because they used a blue beetle most of the time.

faction merchant option.jpg faction merchant title options.jpg

Fargrist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Click on the stone in the faction stronghold and see if you get the "Declare Faction Merchant" option. It should present you with another gump that lets you declare yourself as a specific type of crafter, depending on your character's skills. The available options are Scribe, Carpenter, Tinker, Blacksmith, Bowyer, and Tailor. I think you can only pick a particular skill if your crafter is at least GM in that skill. (The character I used for the screen shots below has 120 tailoring and smithing and 63 tinkering, so you can see her only choices were blacksmith or tailor.)

I am pretty sure that once you have declared your character as a faction merchant, your crafter can ride a faction war horse without needing to have rank 2. I won't swear to it, however, as I've never taken advantage of it for any of my crafters that were in factions! Just never got around to doing it because they used a blue beetle most of the time.

View attachment 15073 View attachment 15074
Thank you, both of you.

I'm declared as a Faction Carpenter, who also had Vet and Lore for Faction Pet Ressing.

I've always had that role, as well as making and placing traps around the place. Back in the day.

As Factions is sorta quiet now, I'll drop the Vet and Lore and leave poor old Rain in the stables, until a better day.

Thanks again.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, both of you.

I'm declared as a Faction Carpenter, who also had Vet and Lore for Faction Pet Ressing.

I've always had that role, as well as making and placing traps around the place. Back in the day.

As Factions is sorta quiet now, I'll drop the Vet and Lore and leave poor old Rain in the stables, until a better day.

Thanks again.

:(

Crud. That's disturbing to find out that declaring as a faction merchant doesn't let you ride a faction warhorse. I've been under the impression for years that it actually worked that way, but never tried it with my crafters who were in factions.

Fargrist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
:(

Crud. That's disturbing to find out that declaring as a faction merchant doesn't let you ride a faction warhorse. I've been under the impression for years that it actually worked that way, but never tried it with my crafters who were in factions.

It must have worked that way previously, this character has never been a combatant but could buy, and ride warhorses. And also be elected and manage towns; place vendors and such. Not sure if those would have changed as well.

It's not a big issue, I've more than enough to catch up with after being away so many years.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It must have worked that way previously, this character has never been a combatant but could buy, and ride warhorses. And also be elected and manage towns; place vendors and such. Not sure if those would have changed as well.

It's not a big issue, I've more than enough to catch up with after being away so many years.
But it would be nice if it worked that way now. I still recommend you have an ally honor your leadership for the points, so you can see if that lets you ride.

Fargrist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
But it would be nice if it worked that way now. I still recommend you have an ally honor your leadership for the points, so you can see if that lets you ride.

Does having people honor me means it's a decay system, so they would have to do it every so often? I'd rather not have to bother people too much about it. As having a crafter being able to ride a warhorse isn't that useful, an ethy makes more sense.

It's more an achievement/vanity thing, Rain is a very old horse.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a crafter, you should expect to be honored by those you assist with equipment.

Fargrist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As a crafter, you should expect to be honored by those you assist with equipment.

I've been away a few years, so I don't know anyone in the Faction. And the other problem with that expectation is that UO is an advanced game and most players now can supply all their own needs.

I'll leave old Merkantor in the Faction, for old time's sake, and leave it at that. Thank you for the help everyone.