• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Bennu deserves a promotion

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean, honestly, how is it NOT Elder EM Bennu right now? Not only can he craft great storylines, but his ITEMS are BROUGHT to life with his words.

Here is a friendly comparison:

Napa:
Unlucky Stetson (10)
Itchy Wool Vest (10)
Shrunken Leather Chaps (10)
Boots Withe Holes In The Souls (10)
The Harpist's Music (10)
Feathered Hat (10)

Atlantic (Bennu):
Cursed Webbing Of The Fabric Of Space Time Torn From The Ethereal Void's Infinite Gyre (20)
A Mustachioed Mask Worn By The Patriots Of Britannia To Hide Their Visage From Tyranny (15)
A Paradoxical Statue Giving A Reverent From To The Formless Lady Called Oblivion And Void (20)
Cornerstone Of The First Knights Of The Crux Ansata Temple, It Is Covered In Archaic Symbols (20)
Skull Of The Grand And Ancient Dragon Cranus Of The Tehom, Timekeeper Of Sosaria (20)

It is so easy to see the difference in the effort put into it.

An EM who has managed to stay sane with the largest shard, who is consistently putting out events, who puts out amazing items with GREAT flavor and life, and an EM who can write a damn story and knows the mechanics of the game.

Give the man a raise, get him training the newbie EM's.

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all seriousness...

I mean, honestly, how is it NOT Elder EM Bennu right now? Not only can he craft great storylines, but his ITEMS are BROUGHT to life with his words.
Here is a friendly comparison
Mesanna has told me that the Elder title is reserved for the EMs that have stayed around since the beginning of the current iteration of the Interest program. I missed that by about 8 months, as such the elder title is something that I can never possess. Mesanna sees it as a reward for those that have stuck with her since "The Beginning". I should be getting a black robe upon my tenure of 3 years in August or September to signify 3 years with the current program.

It is so easy to see the difference in the effort put into it.
An EM who has managed to stay sane with the largest shard, who is consistently putting out events, who puts out amazing items with GREAT flavor and life, and an EM who can write a damn story and knows the mechanics of the game.
While I do put forth a lot of effort in my story lines, events and even the occasional item I give out... it is not really fair to compare EMs side to side. We all have much different strengths, weaknesses and talents. I'll admit freely that my talent is plots, story-lines and characters, and while that makes some people very happy to others it means very little. My weaknesses on the other hand, which again I will freely admit to are PvP events, which on the largest server makes the PvP population of our server to hate me and think I am a terrible EM. The few events Atlantic has run PvP wise were run by my myriad of partners, and none ended well...

It is also hard to compare EMs to one another and servers side by side because of the turnover rate and the fact that many in the EM program are at different stages of their tenure, growth and experience. I have more experience with the player interaction/interest side of mmorpg's than most people in the entire industry have. It's not something I can talk about really, but it something I really should have turned into an actual career at some point. However, having to work from home due to my unique situation has put a major damper on that and limited my options. I am also an author, avid reader, and have a degree in political theory... all things I bring to my plots and events as an Event Moderator.

To you and some I may be a great EM, but to a player who is absorbed in PvP, has no interest in Role Playing and thinks trying to 'spoon feed RP stuff' to a crowd of 200 players is silly as hell... I will never make them happy and in their mind I am crap because I do not foster events that 'interest' them. It is all a manner of perspective.

On the other side, it is painfully obvious to me that even members of our RP community can only tolerate me in small quantities, I can be overbearing, distracting and humility is not something I do well. I have also been called sarcastically insulting at times... all charges I cannot really dispute.

I will say that I do my best. I feel guilty when I only do 2 events a month, I feel good when I do 4 events a month, and I feel like I did my job when I do at least 3 events in a month. My real life schedule, the fact that I have a massive amount of things going on right now, and I have three children (thinking about a 4th) all weigh heavily on my time... and while I appreciate the compliment I definitely feel like I COULD be a much better EM for you guys.

Give the man a raise, get him training the newbie EM's.
In an environment where people in the industry are losing their full time careers due to the economy and cut backs I feel blessed just to have this 'little gig' to be honest. It keeps my resume and linkedin from being blank during a portion of my life where I am trying to build a writing career all the while being a stay at home father that constantly moves every 3 to 4 years due to my wife's career.

I would welcome more hours, doing what I enjoy... however in a landscape of cutbacks and my friends in the industry getting pinkslips or entire gaming companies going bust or downsized, I feel blessed to just be an EM.

As far as training, it is easy to teach someone to use EM commands, the tricks of the trade... teaching someone to create plots, to create a living breathing character driven story, and adapt a storyline to suit the audience on the fly is very difficult neigh impossible. We all have our strengths, we all have our weaknesses.

I'm just glad to be here.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An awesome EM you are, indeed. We are very blessed to have you with us on Atlantic. As Promathia stated, your story lines and characters are more than something written down on a piece of paper. You bring you characters to life In the aspect of actually getting the players (us) to actually bond with them.

During the Exodus trial, I role-played like I disliked the Crux, as I'm sure you've noticed. :p
I would absolutely hate it... if the Crux was put to rest along with Danica.

What I mean when we have to bond with your characters and story lines is this:

The trial of Danica Amandine for the charges of murder. We had to actually take the time and study the case as if it were an actual Court case. That 4-6 page thread that was full of facts and assumptions based on the actual murder, weather it was Martial law or actual murder beyond a shadow of a doubt. Even though I didn't post much in that thread, I read EVERY single post at least 3 times. After I volunteered to be a Juror, I put it to the best of my ability to judge weather or not Danica was actually guilty or not guilty.

What makes you unique from all the other EM's is that you let the players decide what happens with the story. I play on other shards and attend all the Events on them. You are by far the best in the aspect that you care about what happens to the story line. The other shards, as Promathia said, they choose what the story will be. Now, as you said, it is unfair to compare but at the same time I think sometimes that can be voided.

You have really worked your A$$ off to please and entertain the whole shard of Atlantic, and I for one appreciate EVERYTHING you have done and will do in the future. I'm glad you're with Atlantic and am excited for the future!!

See ya Monday!!

Last edited: