• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guard Wacked For Night Sight?

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today I was standing in luna when a new player asked for a Night Sight. I kindly give it to him and he guard wacks me.

Since when does night sight constitute a guard wack?

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone posted a bug similar to this a week or two ago but it was via the healing spell I believe.

Next time give them a few gold pieces for a nightsight potion instead.:p

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried it on myself and other and it doesn't work so they have got to be running something to do it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It should go without saying that this requires quick fixing regardless of what's causing it.

Few things will be as off-putting to the few new players that wander in as will noticing that the game penalizes people for being good and helpful.

-Galen's player
Agreed.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today I was standing in luna when a new player asked for a Night Sight. I kindly give it to him and he guard wacks me.

Since when does night sight constitute a guard wack?
I read about this and then saw it in action at Luna bank on ATL. Apparently there is an intermittent bug that allows someone to get you guardwhacked for casting bene spells like rez, night sight, heals, etc. It doesn't always happen, like I said, it's intermittent.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol, you guys are funny.

No one is running anything, and there isn't some intermittent bug. The person is flagged as a criminal, and when you do something beneficial to them, it flags you as a criminal as well, and subject to a guard wack. what we don't know is what has him flagged. Stealing maybe? who knows. Hasn't it always been like this? I know i've been guard wacked from releasing an aggressive pet and it attacking me lol. Flagging rules are static, but on occasion something sketchy can happen.

It is obvious those of you who don't play in fel very often. :pie:

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol, you guys are funny.

No one is running anything, and there isn't some intermittent bug. The person is flagged as a criminal, and when you do something beneficial to them, it flags you as a criminal as well, and subject to a guard wack. what we don't know is what has him flagged. Stealing maybe? who knows. Hasn't it always been like this? I know i've been guard wacked from releasing an aggressive pet and it attacking me lol. Flagging rules are static, but on occasion something sketchy can happen.

Except of course that the reported instances of this have been in Trammel, there's few obvious ways to flag criminal in Trammel, and none who've fallen for this have reported the beneficiary being gray.

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Except of course that the reported instances of this have been in Trammel, there's few obvious ways to flag criminal in Trammel, and none who've fallen for this have reported the beneficiary being gray.

-Galen's player
You don't always go grey in trammel, but have they said the person is blue either?

bug isn't neccesarily ruled out, some weird flagging bug in tram rulesets, but i just had to laugh at the guy that said "they are running something". That seems to be everyone answer for everything anymore. If they don't understand it, then they assume someone is cheating lol.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol, you guys are funny.

Excuse me, but I spend most of my playtime in Fel. GG . As for someone being flagged crim before asking someone to do a bene spell, BS. The guy doing it in Luna (repeatedly) NEVER LEFT THE BANK, NO ONE WAS GREY, and IT WAS A NEW, NAKED CHAR. This little "game" he was playing, getting ppl guardwhacked, went for about 10-15 minutes. Dontcha think maybe that if he was crim, THE FLAG WOULD HAVE WORN OFF DURING THAT TIME??? Huh?? Maybe??
I haven't seen someone be gray in Tram for a damn long time, probly since the patch that let reds in town.
I agree, no one is running any special proggie to make this happen, but I DO think it's a bug.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't always go grey in trammel, but have they said the person is blue either?

bug isn't neccesarily ruled out, some weird flagging bug in tram rulesets, but i just had to laugh at the guy that said "they are running something". That seems to be everyone answer for everything anymore. If they don't understand it, then they assume someone is cheating lol.
And yes, the person was BLUE the entire time.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this has been around for at least 10 years that people have been doing this trick - I can't believe the secret hasn't gotten out even after all this time - I figured someone would have talked by now

the people that run the game will never bother to find or fix it either - it's been around for this long - they never will

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its probley someone snooping in a NPC back pack in luna. Thats the only way I could see someone flag and staying blue

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys been at Yew Moongate in Fel on ATL for couple days with a macro set
'Want a guard whack?' - hes got poison pots on him and drinks them.
Then he starts spamming 'Cure Me!' and 'Help!'

When he runs out of pots he just casts lightning on himself & asks for heals.
Its pretty funny imho but then I don't go around healing/cure folks
w/o being aware there may be consequences. The funny part being they ask
if folks want a guard whack & some players STILL heal/cure him.

He NEVER goes grey and he NEVER leaves the guardzone other than to loot
the corpse of a grey/red that just died. Hes a totally new char just made with
prob 50mage 50evalint. Its obviously a glitch/bug of some kind.

It amazes me someone would find this fun. Instead of playing the game for enjoyment,
this person finds it more entertaining to guard kill clueless players? That's alil more than
pathetic imo - get some help bro cause mentally u got problems.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have not seen this, so all I know of it is what I read here. I am curious if this bypasses the noto query check if you have it enabled?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Excuse me, but I spend most of my playtime in Fel. GG . As for someone being flagged crim before asking someone to do a bene spell, BS. The guy doing it in Luna (repeatedly) NEVER LEFT THE BANK, NO ONE WAS GREY, and IT WAS A NEW, NAKED CHAR. This little "game" he was playing, getting ppl guardwhacked, went for about 10-15 minutes. Dontcha think maybe that if he was crim, THE FLAG WOULD HAVE WORN OFF DURING THAT TIME??? Huh?? Maybe??
I haven't seen someone be gray in Tram for a damn long time, probly since the patch that let reds in town.
I agree, no one is running any special proggie to make this happen, but I DO think it's a bug.
That only suggests it may be "stealing" skill that causes the character to become criminal, in trammel people don't appear grey, unless you're guilded with them. (as Cetric says.)
There are a number of ways to become criminal in trammel, but whats the point in guard-whacking anyone... let alone in tram.

did the character have a "young" tag?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Person I watched was in Felucca Yew on Atlantic.

Person was 100% most definitely not stealing from anyone.

They had no young tag but anyone can get rid of that tag in 6 words
"I renounce my young player status" - right ?

Character was wearing same noob clothes they give all new characters and
the spells casted were straight outta the new character spellbook.
It was a character the person just made expressly to guard kill folks
with some bug/glitch they just learned - Id bet on it & give damn good odds.

Also worth noting, the person died several times from lesser poison potions
in less then a dozen ticks cause folks eventually stopped curing him, which shows
his strength/hps couldn't have been over 60-70 ==> it was a new character.

Last edited:

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That only suggests it may be "stealing" skill that causes the character to become criminal, in trammel people don't appear grey, unless you're guilded with them. (as Cetric says.)
There are a number of ways to become criminal in trammel, but whats the point in guard-whacking anyone... let alone in tram.

did the character have a "young" tag?
No, but that's irrelevant as Acid Rain pointed out. And i'm pretty sure it was probably the same guy in Luna.

Last edited:

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
I know this is an OLD post but its coming back around on Atlantic again. Yes, I was the stupid "victim" who got guard wacked for falling for the noob screaming "I can't see, someone hit me with Night Sight" so..I did and before I knew what was happening someone else screams CAN WE GET A REZZ here and I get a warning I'm about to BE guard wacked. And the rest is embarrassing history.

SO for whatever fun and games it gives the person doing it to those who aren't aware of the "bug" (if it is a bug), 4 or 14 years later, this is still happening.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this kind of thing would happen a lot at yew gate fel. people would ask for night-sight or a heal and u would get guard wacked. old trick, never seem in luna though lol.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's most definitely a bug/glitch that's been around for over a decade.

Had a character able to do this back in 2004-ish? No clue how/why it happened but it took 4months to fix it as they had NO idea how/why it happened.
Had an archer (never a thief) that could guard whack players. It just started happening 1 day out of the blue. After 3rd day I became the guild leper.
Fighting in Fel w/ your guild & no one willing to heal/cure you EVER gets old real fast. I paged a GM & it took abt 45mins to fix it.
I was told there was something either on my character or in their pack w/ some old buggy code on it lowering my noto causing me to go perma grey.

One month later the bug/glitch was back & started again. Paged a GM, told him how it happened last month & what the GM then had told me.
Took about 30mins for this GM to fix it. About 45days later... again. Paged GM... yadda yadda yadda. He fixed it but told me to send in a Bug Report.
Sent in a Bug report complaining this is re-occurring & makes the char (made in '97) useless. Logged in about once a wk to check char status.

About 4 months after it started, the char was finally fixed. No way to tell if its the same bug but its definitely been around for a long time in one form or another.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
But..casting NIGHT SIGHT in Luna City? *scratches head* :blushing: I quickly got a rez and went home, I was quite embarrassed I was a dork that I got guardwacked!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep been around since AOS maybe earlier but used to be people that would go to Haven bank and ask for a heal, night sight or say "Don't Invis me or you will die!" of course every one would invis them and get guard whacked. Nothing lost, No harm done and actually kind of funny. I am guessing this would be the same thing and either someone old that used to do it came back or someone new rediscovered the art of Tram guard whacks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This brings back memories. I'll share since this isn't a hack or cheat and doesn't work anymore(in tram at least) for nostalgia's sake, totally legal.

I would go to Brit bank with about 10% life, open my bank and act like a regular player. My guilded friend would be standing beside the gemology hut and would target me. He'd come flying in with a teleport and a halbred and I'd die on the spot but to others it looked like I'd just been guard whacked, a regular occurence when thieves stole right at the bank. They would of course open my corpse, flag themselves before realizing I was actually blue, get guard whacked for real and my buddy would loot them dry. Back then there was no alert before you commited a crime that covered this though, doubtful it would work today since no trammelite would click "yes, I want to commit a crime".

Gotta laugh a bit, it's UO... chalk it up to a learning lesson and don't cast nightsight on noob toons.

edit: fixed a typo, careful when typing out "noob", the b is right next to the n on the keyboard.... "bo.....
I could see that working. When the bank was full of people, we played a mini game inside of UO. Where there is a crowd there are thieves.

Then you run into a gate knowing it was a trap. You were the brave one that wanted to fight or the one who was just looking to grab something from the corpses.