• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Change House Sign (Guild type Sign Graphic?)

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm looking to change a House sign.
I wish for my selection to reflect the "type" of house that I currently have.

On the selection screen for House Sign types, several graphical representations of 'guild types' are offered.
Some of the graphics are straight forward, and represent a Jeweler, Fletcher, Alchemist, etc.
I'd like to consider some of the other choices available, but do not know what the majority of them are.

I tried mousing over the various selections in both clients, but it does not seem to tell me anything.
(Maybe I have a setting incorrect to allow this to display?)

At one time I had some sort of reference as to what the 'guild' type signs were suppose to represent.
I think it may have been a poster with the signs identified?
It may have been the included poster that came with the original Prima hint book for UO?
I've looked around but cannot seem to find my copy of that darn poster.

Searching turns up lots of interesting stuff, but not the pictures/descriptions that i seek.

Can anyone provide a suggestion as to where I may be/have been able to reference this?

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only book I can think of that might reference that information is the original "rulebook" from 1997 that coincided with the release of the game but had to be purchased separately - can't find my copy right now.
That aside, if you're that curious it wouldn't take much effort to run around and figure out most of the signs. As you have already said most of the signs on the "first" page are related to the trades (tailor, blacksmith, etc), and the the second "page" of the house sign menu has the guild signs (ranger guild, fishing guild, warrior guild etc). So pop into the various towns, go to the guild halls and look at their signs.
But as for a quick reference - can't help you there, sorry.

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the idea Irulia.

Yeah - the Hildebrandt print poster that came with the original Prima guide does have the guild sign descriptions at the bottom.

The only copy of the poster that i can find online is a picture of it on someones blog, but the picture is not in focus enough for me to be able to read the guild sign text descriptions well.

For now I created a cheatsheet by using InsideUO (which seems mostly accurate, I do question some labels though like - "Barber Shop").

I will still keep searching for my copy of the poster, I know I have it here somewhere.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the idea Irulia.

The only copy of the poster that i can find online is a picture of it on someones blog, but the picture is not in focus enough for me to be able to read the guild sign text descriptions well.
Well I have that poster and can give you the names if that helps.

Top row, left to right, Guild of Mages, Guild of Sorcery, Masters of Illusion, Guild of Barbers, Bardic Collegium, Tailors Hall, Society of Cooks and Chefs, Order of Engineers, Healer's Guild, Lord British's Healers of Virtue.
Middle row, left to right, Guild of Fishermen, Sailor's Maritime Association, Seaman's Chapter, Society of Shipwrights. Merchant's Guild, Guild of Provisioners, Traders's Guild, Barterer's Guild, Mining Co-operative, League of Rangers
Bottom row, left to right, Federation of Rogues & Beggars, Guild of Assassins, Society of Thieves, Guild of Armaments, Armourer's Guild, Blacksmith's Guild, Society of Weaponmakers, Association of Warriors, Fighters and Footmen, Guild of Cavarly and Horse

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HouseSigns.jpg

Okay I figured might as well do this up right, so going Top to bottom, left to right, here are the signs and their associated guilds according to the poster you are referencing. An interesting note, not sure why but some of the house signs from the image above are actually flipped compared to the poster and the actual signs you find in town (e.g. the first sign in the top right hand corner actually has the black triangles in opposite corners on the Hildebrandt poster , same with the Healer's Guild sign, and the League of Rangers. I only did a bit of running around in game but it seems the poster is accurate, but the house signs are opposite of the guild signs, but not in all cases - some definite inconsistencies). Anyway, here you go...

Top row: Guild of Armaments, Armourer's Guild, Blacksmith's Guild, Society of Weaponmakers, Bardic Collegium, Barterer's Guild
Second Row: Guild of Provisioners, Trader's Guild, Society of Cooks and Chefs, Healer's Guild, Guild of Mages, Guild of Sorcery
Third Row: Masters of Illusion, Mining Cooperative, League of Rangers, Seaman's Chapter, Guild of Fishermen, Sailor's Maritime Association
Fourth Row: Society of Shipwrights, Tailor's Hall, Society of Thieves, Federation of Rogues and Beggars, Guild of Assassins, Order of Engineers
Fifth Row: Association of Warriors, Guild of Cavalry and Horse, Fighter's and Footmen, Merchant's Guild? (not sure about this one, too small to make out and be sure) and then cuts back to the obvious ones for bank, theatre,etc.

It's kind of embarassing, all this time I've been using the Society of Cooks and Chefs symbol on my house cause I thought it was the ranger guild...oops.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 13422

Okay I figured might as well do this up right, so going Top to bottom, left to right, here are the signs and their associated guilds according to the poster you are referencing. An interesting note, not sure why but some of the house signs from the image above are actually flipped compared to the poster and the actual signs you find in town (e.g. the first sign in the top right hand corner actually has the black triangles in opposite corners on the Hildebrandt poster , same with the Healer's Guild sign, and the League of Rangers. I only did a bit of running around in game but it seems the poster is accurate, but the house signs are opposite of the guild signs, but not in all cases - some definite inconsistencies). Anyway, here you go...

Top row: Guild of Armaments, Armourer's Guild, Blacksmith's Guild, Society of Weaponmakers, Bardic Collegium, Barterer's Guild
Second Row: Guild of Provisioners, Trader's Guild, Society of Cooks and Chefs, Healer's Guild, Guild of Mages, Guild of Sorcery
Third Row: Masters of Illusion, Mining Cooperative, League of Rangers, Seaman's Chapter, Guild of Fishermen, Sailor's Maritime Association
Fourth Row: Society of Shipwrights, Tailor's Hall, Society of Thieves, Federation of Rogues and Beggars, Guild of Assassins, Order of Engineers
Fifth Row: Association of Warriors, Guild of Cavalry and Horse, Fighter's and Footmen, Merchant's Guild? (not sure about this one, too small to make out and be sure) and then cuts back to the obvious ones for bank, theatre,etc.

It's kind of embarassing, all this time I've been using the Society of Cooks and Chefs symbol on my house cause I thought it was the ranger guild...oops.
May I steal this info to add to this page? http://uo2.stratics.com/homes-and-decorations/the-homeowners-guide

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank You Irulia Darkaith!

I also noticed that the in game East-facing (when viewed as 'rotated map' aspect) house signs appear as Horizontally flipped graphics compared to the poster.

Now I know what the choices are intended to reflect, instead of choosing one based on what sign color scheme is most appealing.
I am surprised to be reminded that indeed a guild sign does exist to represent "Guild of Barbers".

Thanks again ~

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But of course, glad to help! When I saw you had replied to this thread I expected to find a link to stratics telling us the information is already there ;) . I double checked the signs to ensure I didn't make any mistakes compared to the posters and made a notation in parenthesis (f) to indicate where the sign is flipped compared to the Hildebrandt poster (and in game NPC shops) in case there are any purists out there. I also added the other "obvious" signs for the sake of completeness though I have no actual guide for this, but rather I just ran around and noted what NPCs were in shops with these symbols. Of note, I could not find the "arrow" sign (third row, second from left) on any shop though I wasn't exactly thorough and I think we can assume it's for fletchers. Similarly I could only find the "sextant" sign (second row, second from left) on one building in Vesper which was the customs house. I would assume it's for cartographers but the building was actually the Vesper customs house. Anyone seen it anywhere else?

AllHouseSigns.jpg

First Row: Baker, Tailors, Tinker, Butcher, Healer, Alchemist/Mage
Second Row: Architect/Carpenter, Mariners/Customs, Inn, Shipwright/Cartographer, Stables, Guild of Barbers (f)
Third Row: Bard, Fletcher, Armorer, Jeweler, Tavern, Alchemist/Herbalist
Fourth Row: Blacksmith, Artist, Provisioner, Bowyer, (generic), (generic)
Fifth Row: Guild of Armaments (f), Armourer's Guild, Blacksmith's Guild(f), Society of Weaponmakers(f), Bardic Collegium, Barterer's Guild (f)
Sixth Row: Guild of Provisioners, Trader's Guild, Society of Cooks and Chefs (f), Healer's Guild (f) , Guild of Mages (f), Guild of Sorcery (f)
Seventh Row: Masters of Illusion (f), Mining Cooperative (f), League of Rangers (f), Seaman's Chapter (f), Guild of Fishermen (f), Sailor's Maritime Association
Eighth Row: Society of Shipwrights (f), Tailor's Hall, Society of Thieves (f), Federation of Rogues and Beggars, Guild of Assassins (f) , Order of Engineers (f)
Ninth Row: Association of Warriors, Guild of Cavalry and Horse, Fighter's and Footmen, Merchant's Guild (symbol is not quite right), Bank, Theatre
Tenth Row: Scribe/Library, Beekeepers

Of note, the only symbol appearing on the Hildebrandt poster that I don't see available for player housing and did not see on any in game buildings was Lord British's Healers of Virtue which is a Gold Ankh on a green field.

Last edited:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am surprised to be reminded that indeed a guild sign does exist to represent "Guild of Barbers".
~
Well don't forget in medieval times barbers were also surgeons and dentists, so it fits for the time period upon which UO is loosely based as they were a type of healer. I'm more surprised that thieves are so organized, they have a society of thieves and federation of rogues and beggars..

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ditto...do you mind if I add that to UOHomeDecor? I'm sure a lot of people would like to know that info.