• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Updated Publish on Test

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to see what they changed in this latest patch, but I couldn't see what the difference is. For those who are on top of these changes, however, I did find a link on UO's Facebook which takes you to a page that supposedly lists everything in the Updated Publish:
http://uo.com/article/Updated-Publish-81-TC1

So this is not exactly "News" (which is why I didn't use that prefix), but it might be useful for those who are following this, or those who might be curious about the patch we just received.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Armor Refinements are crafted from refinement components that can be collected from:
Treasure Maps
MiB Chests
Merchant Vessels
Pirate Vessels
Town shop container stealables
Champion Spawn Bosses

so we will now get a new blob of gew item that can be used for this new process (kind like gathering wetstones)
what is "Town shop container stealables" ?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting
Imbuing base intensity caps have been increased up to 550 for two handed melee weapon and up to 500 for bows and crossbows.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting
Imbuing base intensity caps have been increased up to 550 for two handed melee weapon and up to 500 for bows and crossbows.
That was a typo it is actually 600 for two handed melee weapons and 550 for bows and crossbows.

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting
So does it bump the cap for monster loot (non-exceptional) items as well?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talked to Kyronix for a few minutes earlier this afternoon while on Test Center (he wanted to verify a message I got when using some of the new refinement stuff and had to kill my crafter to reset her weight after it got bugged). I asked him if the second house on Siege change is going to be included in this publish and he said probably not. He didn't give me a definite "no" though.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talked to Kyronix for a few minutes earlier this afternoon while on Test Center (he wanted to verify a message I got when using some of the new refinement stuff and had to kill my crafter to reset her weight after it got bugged). I asked him if the second house on Siege change is going to be included in this publish and he said probably not. He didn't give me a definite "no" though.
Aww that sucks :( But to be honest I kinda figured that would be the case. They just have so much goign into this publish and I think this armor/weapon revamp has been much harder then they originally thought it would be. I just hope it doesn;t take too long after the publish! It would suck if 6monthes to a year from now we are still asking when Siege is getting the second house lol.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, you might also want to weigh in on where the shops will be located where you'll go to apply the armor refinements for bumping DCI or resists. You'll be able to make the plating, threads, or resin for armor refinement anywhere (once you acquire the proper components); however, applying them to a piece of armor has to be done at one particular shop, depending on the type of armor.

For Siege, those shops currently are planned as being the "Tree to Yew" shop in Jhelom for adding refinements to wood or stone armor; the "Better Leather Tannery" in Occlo for applying refinements to studded leather, bone, or hide armor; or the "Cutlass Smithing" in Bucs Den for applying refinements to metal or dragon scale armor. I did remind Kyronix there are no guards in Bucs Den and therefore some people might avoid using it and he responded that they were trying to use nonfaction towns and it seemed he might not have considered the lack of guards there. He may switch the smithing location to another nonfaction town, such as Cove. I didn't think of it at the time, but perhaps Occlo's not such a great location for Siege because it's awfully hard to get to/from there without magery or help from someone else. Kyronix also told me that the components / refinement items may eventually be insurable (presumably this also means they'll be Siege blessable).

There are also a ton of components you can stockpile (336 possible variations at this point) and from what Kyronix told me today on TC, it doesn't really sound like they have the ability at this point to make them stackable. So if you're a treasure hunter, thief, fisher, pirate/merchant ship hunter, or champ spawn boss mob killer and plan to stockpile the components, better start making room for them!

Be sure to speak up in the latest UHall thread regarding this publish if you have concerns about the above-listed locations or anything else related to the publish.

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't think of it at the time, but perhaps Occlo's not such a great location for Siege because it's awfully hard to get to/from there without magery or help from someone else.
With a crystal portal it is easy to get there, but good luck getting back to the mainland without a Gate.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot to post this earlier, but it looks like the bonus area for applying refinements to studded leather, hide, and bone armor will be the Stitch in Time tailor shop in Occlo, not the tanner's shop. Kyronix moved everything there today. He still has the smithing refinements set up in at the smith's shop in Bucs Den though, so if you would like to see that location changed, you should speak up! (Refinements to wood and gargoyle stone armor will have to happen at the carpenter's shop in Jhelom, near the three teleporters in the main part of town.)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are also a ton of components you can stockpile (336 possible variations at this point) and from what Kyronix told me today on TC, it doesn't really sound like they have the ability at this point to make them stackable.
336 variations, and it's not set up to be stackable. Sheesh... hopefully it's not set up like imbuing is where you need 10 of each to actually perform the process. We'd all have to start another account with an 18x18 with all the storage increases to hold it all.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
336 variations, and it's not set up to be stackable. Sheesh... hopefully it's not set up like imbuing is where you need 10 of each to actually perform the process. We'd all have to start another account with an 18x18 with all the storage increases to hold it all.
Yeah they really need to make this stuff stackable. I think you only need one of each wash or cure or whatever and then some of a certain material you get from npcs. For instance for tailor armor it was leather braids if I remember correctly and those do stack! But still I think the other stuff really needs to stack as well :/

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Below is my current understanding of how the armor refinement works. Hopefully, if I'm off on some things, someone will chime in and point it out. I think Barry and Chise have been following all this pretty closely, so I suspect that with their expertise, they have a much better feel for what's happening than I do!

You make plating, thread, or resin for armor refinement from a combination of materials you buy from NPCs (alloy, braid, or flasks, all of which are stackable and should be deedable too) and lootable/stealable items (polish or scour, wash or cure, gloss or varnish). Polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss, and varnish can be found in treasure chests, MIB chests, merchant and pirate vessels. They can also be stolen from containers inside blacksmith, tailor, and carpentry shops in Felucca. They can also be found as loot on the corpses of champion spawn monsters. (I don't know if this means just the bosses or any monsters at a champ spawn and if this is at ANY champ spawn or just the ones in Felucca.) On TC now, you are able to insure these lootable/stealable items, so presumably they will be Siege blessable too.

The wash, cure, polish, scour, gloss, or varnish each come in seven levels (Defense, Shielding, Guarding, Protection, Hardening, Fortification, or Invulnerability) for each type of nonmeddable type of armor to which they could apply and do not stack with each other. (For example, there are two types of nonmeddable armor to which gloss or varnish can be applied after being combined with flasks: Woodland and gargoyle stone. So there are 14 varieties of gloss and 14 varieties of varnish. There are four types of nonmeddable armor to which wash or cure can be applied after being combined with braid: Studded, studded samurai, hide, and bone. Therefore, there are 28 varieties each of wash and cure. There are six types of nonmeddable armor to which polish or scour can be applied after combining it with alloy: Ringmail, chainmail, platemail, samurai platemail, gargoyle platemail, and dragon scale. Accordingly, there are 42 varieties each of polish and scour.)

scour of protection for dragon armor.jpg washed thread of invulnerability for hide armor.jpg

The level of and the type of armor to which plating, thread or resin can be applied is determined by the level and the type of armor associated with the wash, cure, polish, scour, gloss or varnish from which the plating, thread or resin was created. The level of the plating, thread, or resin is supposed to define the maximum number of resists that have their cap raised and the effect on Max DCI that happens when you apply the plating, thread, or resin to a piece of armor. The Defense Level of plating, thread, or resin is supposed to have the lowest potential to affect all the resists, and the Invulnerability level is supposed to have the greatest potential to affect all the resist caps and Max DCI. You just click on the polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss or varnish (it can be in a container in your backpack) and if you have a sufficient number of alloy, braid, or flasks in the top level of your backpack, you will soon see some plating, thread, or resin in your backpack. The plating, thread or resin will be either a buff/cream color or a kind of coppery color. The lighter-colored plating, thread and resin decrease resist caps and raise Max DCI and the darker-colored ones raise resist caps and decrease Max DCI. Plating, thread, and resin do not stack.

You can make the plating, thread, or resin ANYWHERE if you have the lootable/stealable items and alloy, braid or flasks purchased from an NPC. You buy alloy from blacksmith NPCs. It's not available for purchase from blacksmith guildmistresses or guildmasters, armourers, weaponsmiths, or any other type of NPC you might get smithing BODs from. You buy braid from weaver NPCs but not from tailors, tailor guildmasters or guildmistresses, etc. You buy alloy from carpenter NPCs. You get the idea, I think. Alloy, braid, and flasks cost 50 gp each in both Trammel and Felucca and the available quantity starts at 20. Theoretically, I think this means that if the supply is bought out, it should replenish some time later at double the quantity, up to an eventual maximum available quantity of 1000, with the price always staying at 50 gp.

You use one lootable/stealable component and 20 each of the alloy, braid, or flask purchased from an NPC to craft one plating, thread or resin. Your crafter must have GM-level crafting skill of the appropriate type to make plating, thread, or resin. Braid and alloy each weigh one stone each, so they get heavy quickly when you're trying to use them to make several threads or resins. Alloy is lighter--each weighs 1/10 of a stone, so 20 weighs 2 stones. At the present time on TC, you cannot insure plating, thread or resin and I don't know if that will change before the final publish, so be prepared that these items might be stealable or lootable on Siege when you go to use them at a shop.

Plating_edited-4.jpg
Thread_edited-4.jpg
Resin_edited-4.jpg
The application of plating, thread, or resin to a piece of armor MUST be done at a particular NPC shop and, again, requires GM-level crafting skill of the appropriate type. If you are in the Trammel facet, you apply plating at The Hammer and Anvil shop in Britain, near the conservatory; you apply thread at the Adventurer's Clothing tailor shop in Trinsic; or you apply resin at the Bloody Thumb Woodworks in Yew. If you are in the Felucca facet, you apply plating at the Cutlass Smithing in Buc's Den; you apply thread at the Stitch in Time in Ocllo; or you apply resin at the From Tree to Yew carpenter shop in Jhelom. Inside each of these shops, you will find an "Armor Refiner" NPC. Clicking on the NPC brings up a gump with some basic information about armor refinement. These NPCs seem to have no other purpose at this time.

Each shop has a small area that extends to the front and back of the shop by a few tiles where you can stand to do the refinement (the "armor bonus region"), so you don't have to be inside the shop when you do refining. (When you mark a rune at any of these shops and if you are standing within the specified area, the rune will be marked to say something like, "Armor Bonus Region - Carpenter (Felucca).") If you are standing outside that bonus region and try to apply a refinement by clicking on a plating, thread, or resin, you get a message that tells you that you will have better luck if you go to "XYZ Shop," so just move in closer to the shop (or go to it if you're not already there) and try again. If you're inside the appropriate bonus region, you will get a confirmation gump after first clicking on the plating, thread or resin and then targeting the piece of armor you want to apply it to. Click Yes and you will get a message that you've applied the refinement to the armor. You can be hidden and stay hidden while applying a refinement at a shop. Applying the refinement seems to be a silent process.

Applying polished plating, washed thread, or glazed resin to a piece of nonmeddable armor subtracts 1% from a variable number of resist caps up to all five of them, with the resists that are affected upon application always following a specific order that depends on the type of armor. It also boosts the Max DCI by 2% per number of affected resists. For example, if applying the plating, thread, or resin to a piece of nonmeddable armor only decreases one of its resist caps by 1%, then Max DCI is only boosted by 2%. However, if the application of the plating, thread, or resin decreased all five resist caps (each by 1%), then the boost to Max DCI will be 10%.

Applying scoured plating, cured thread, or varnished resin to a piece of nonmeddable armor adds 1% to a variable number of resist caps up to all five of them, again with the resists that are affected upon application following a specific order that depends on the type of armor. Using scoured plating, cured thread, or varnished resin also lowers the Max DCI by 2% for each affected resist cap.

So far it appears that you can apply armor refinement to armor pieces that were previously crafted or enhanced out of special materials and/or that have been imbued or to looted armor pieces, but only if they aren't already meddable or have the mage armor property on them. You can imbue or enhance nonmeddable armor that has already been refined (e.g., bump its resists) without losing the refinement modifications. However, you cannot imbue the mage armor property onto a piece of nonmeddable armor that has already been refined--the Mage Armor property simply doesn't come up as an option on the Imbuing gump. It appears that at this point there is a small chance you can enhance woodland armor with heartwood to add the Mage Armor property (I got it to work this afternoon), but I don't know if that will make it through to production shards and you will probably break a lot of pieces trying to make it happen if it does.

STATUS BAR NOT WEARING REFINED ARMOR.jpg
STATUS BAR WEARING REFINED ARMOR.jpg

Gheed posted in the UHall thread his analysis of the order in which the resist caps are affected by armor type in this post: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-4#post-2242833 . However, here's a copy of Gheed's table just to make it easier for you:

What that chart means is that if you apply one of the resins to a piece of woodland armor, for example, and only one resist cap is affected, it will always be Cold. If the roll of the dice for the refinement action says "affect 3 resist caps," it will always be the Cold, Poison, and Physical resist caps that are affected. There will always be at least one resist cap affected (-1% or +1% depending on what you used) and Max DCI will always be affected by at least 2% (bumped or decreased, depending on what you used).

Now what blew me away, after seeing all the possible types of polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss, and varnish (7 for each one of those TIMES all the nonmeddable types of armor to which each could apply!) and then playing around with actually applying some of them to nonmeddable armor at the NPC shops in town, was that the actual result of the application is RANDOM! What I mean is that there appears to be a possibility that you could end up with all five resist caps being affected by using Polished Plating of Defense, or you could have that end result using Polished Plating of Invulnerability. Apparently, though, the chances of all 5 resist caps being affected with the Polished Plating of Defense are lower than if you used the Polished Plating of Invulnerability. Also important to note is that it is apparently possible to apply refinements an unlimited number of times to each piece of nonmeddable armor, i.e., until you get the result you want. Each application overwrites the refinements made with the previous application.

Barry has posted here some examples of how the "Max DCI" from the refinements works with respect to DCI over-capping and HLD: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-4#post-2242902 . I have to admit, this is where I start getting glassy-eyed, because I just don't usually worry about DCI and HLD because I don't usually fight much of anything toe-to-toe (I mostly play tamers and crafters these days). Hopefully he can jump in with some more information here. I made myself go start looking at the armor refinement stuff on TC because I have a strong feeling that this is just the first chunk of it, as it only affects nonmeddable armor (i.e., metal, dragon scale, studded, hide, bone, woodland, and stone armor). I keep thinking that the dev team is going to roll out another set of refinement components that will be combined with braid and maybe other materials to produce thread and other items to refine meddable armor resist caps and some property that is valuable to spellcasters.

So, if you made it all the way down to here with reading and somehow what I wrote makes some kind of sense and doesn't just read like gibberish, I guess take heart that it doesn't look like at this point it's going to be necessary to stockpile 336 different kinds of polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss or varnish. If you want to refine something, you might just use what you have on hand and hope it affects the exact number of resist caps you want to have affected and creates a Max DCI modifier that you want. And if it doesn't work, you pick out a different one, cross your fingers, apply it and hope that it worked. If you want a stronger effect, you go with something that is at one of the "higher" levels e.g., Invulnerability, Fortification, or Hardening) and hope the RNG lets them affect as many resist caps as possible. If you want less of an effect, you use a plating, thread, or resin of a lower level (Defense, Shielding, or Guarding) and pray the RNG lets the refinement affect only one or a few resist caps.

Let me know if you spot anything wrong in this and I'll be happy to fix it.

Last edited:

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
do i have to read all that? uggggg
will we be able to remove -100 luck from shame loot?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Below is my current understanding of how the armor refinement works. Hopefully, if I'm off on some things, someone will chime in and point it out. I think Barry and Chise have been following all this pretty closely, so I suspect that with their expertise, they have a much better feel for what's happening than I do!

You make plating, thread, or resin for armor refinement from a combination of materials you buy from NPCs (alloy, braid, or flasks, all of which are stackable and should be deedable too) and lootable/stealable items (polish or scour, wash or cure, gloss or varnish). Polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss, and varnish can be found in treasure chests, MIB chests, merchant and pirate vessels. It can also be stolen from containers inside blacksmith, tailor, and carpentry shops in Felucca. It can also be found as loot on the corpses of champion spawn monsters. (I don't know if this means just the bosses or any monsters at a champ spawn and if this is at ANY champ spawn or just the ones in Felucca.) On TC now, you are able to insure these lootable/stealable items, so presumably they will be Siege blessable too.

The wash, cure, polish, scour, gloss, or varnish each come in seven levels (Defense, Shielding, Guarding, Protection, Hardening, Fortification, or Invulnerability). The level is supposed to define the maximum number of resists and effect on DCI that is possible when you apply the plating, thread, or resin to a piece of armor, with the Defense Level having the lowest possibility to affect all the resists and DCI and the Invulnerability level having the greatest potential to affect all the resists and DCI. You just click on the polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss or varnish (it can be in a container in your backpack) and if you have a sufficient number of alloy, braid, or flasks in the top level of your backpack, you will soon see some plating, thread, or resin in your backpack. The plating, thread or resin will be either a buff/cream color or a kind of coppery color. The lighter-colored plating, thread and resin decrease resists and raise max DCI and the darker-colored ones raise resists and decrease max DCI.

You can make the plating, thread, or resin ANYWHERE if you have the lootable/stealable items and alloy, braid or flasks purchased from an NPC. You buy alloy from blacksmith NPCs. It's not available for purchase from blacksmith guildmistresses or guildmasters, armourers, weaponsmiths, or any other type of NPC you might get smithing BODs from. You buy braid from weaver NPCs but not from tailors, tailor guildmasters or guildmistresses, etc. You buy alloy from carpenter NPCs. You get the idea, I think. Alloy, braid, and flasks cost 50 gp each in both Trammel and Felucca and the available quantity starts at 20. Theoretically, I think this means that if the supply is bought out, it should replenish some time later at double the quantity, up to an eventual maximum available quantity of 1000, with the price always staying at 50 gp.

You use one lootable/stealable component and 20 each of the alloy, braid, or flask purchased from an NPC to craft one plating, thread or resin. Your crafter must have GM-level crafting skill of the appropriate type to make plating, thread, or resin. Braid and alloy each weigh one stone each, so they get heavy quickly when you're trying to use them to make several threads or resins. Alloy is lighter--each weighs 1/10 of a stone, so 20 weighs 2 stones. At the present time on TC, you cannot insure plating, thread or resin and I don't know if that will change before the final publish, so be prepared that these items might be stealable or lootable on Siege when you go to use them at a shop.

The application of plating, thread, or resin to a piece of armor MUST be done at a particular NPC shop and, again, requires GM-level crafting skill of the appropriate type. If you are in the Trammel facet, you apply plating at The Hammer and Anvil shop in Britain, near the conservatory; you apply thread at the Adventurer's Clothing tailor shop in Trinsic; or you apply resin at the Bloody Thumb Woodworks in Yew. If you are in the Felucca facet, you apply plating at the Cutlass Smithing in Buc's Den; you apply thread at the Stitch in Time in Ocllo; or you apply resin at the From Tree to Yew carpenter shop in Jhelom. Inside each of these shops, you will find an "Armor Refiner" NPC. Clicking on the NPC brings up a gump with some basic information about armor refinement. These NPCs seem to have no other purpose at this time.

Each shop has a small area that extends to the front and back of the shop by a few tiles where you can stand to do the refinement (the "armor bonus region"), so you don't have to be inside the shop when you do refining. (When you mark a rune at any of these shops and if you are standing within the specified area, the rune will be marked to say something like, "Armor Bonus Region - Carpenter (Felucca).") If you are standing outside that bonus region and try to apply a refinement by clicking on a plating, thread, or resin, you get a message that tells you that you will have better luck if you go to "XYZ Shop," so just move in closer to the shop (or go to it if you're not already there) and try again. If you're inside the appropriate bonus region, you will get a confirmation gump after first clicking on the plating, thread or resin and then targeting the piece of armor you want to apply it to. Click Yes and you will get a message that you've applied the refinement to the armor. You can be hidden and stay hidden while applying a refinement at a shop. Applying the refinement seems to be a silent process.

Applying polished plating, washed thread, or glazed resin to a piece of nonmeddable armor subtracts 1% from a variable number of resists up to all five of them, with the resists that are affected upon application always following a specific order that depends on the type of armor. It also boosts the max DCI by 2% per number of affected resists. For example, if applying the plating, thread, or resin to a piece of nonmeddable armor only decreases one of its resist by 1%, then max DCI is only boosted by 2%. However, if the application of the plating, thread, or resin decreased all five resists (each by 1%), then the boost to max DCI will be 10%.

Applying scoured plating, cured thread, or varnished resin to a piece of nonmeddable armor adds 1% to a variable number of resists up to all five of them, again with the resists that are affected upon application following a specific order that depends on the type of armor. Using scoured plating, cured thread, or varnished resin also lowers the max DCI by 2% for each affected resist.

Gheed posted in the UHall thread his analysis of the order in which the resists are affected by armor type in this post: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-4#post-2242833 . However, here's a copy of Gheed's table just to make it easier for you:

What that chart means is that if you apply one of the resins to a piece of woodland armor, for example, and only one resist is affected, it will always be Cold. If the roll of the dice for the refinement action says "affect 3 resists," it will always be the Cold, Poison, and Physical resists that are affected.

Now what blew me away, after seeing all the possible types of polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss, and varnish (7 for each one of those!) and then playing around with actually applying some of them to nonmeddable armor at the NPC shops in town, was that the actual result of the application is RANDOM! What I mean is that there appears to be a possibility that you could end up with all five resists being affected by using Polished Plating of Defense, or you could have that end result using Polished Plating of Invulnerability. Apparently, though, the chances of all 5 resists being affected with the Polished Plating of Defense are lower than if you used the Polished Plating of Invulnerability. Also important to note is that it is apparently possible to apply refinements an unlimited number of times to each piece of nonmeddable armor, i.e., until you get the result you want. Each application overwrites the refinements made with the previous application.

Barry has posted here some examples of how the "max DCI" from the refinements works with respect to DCI over-capping and HLD: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-4#post-2242902 . I have to admit, this is where I start getting glassy-eyed, because I just don't usually worry about DCI and HLD because I don't usually fight much of anything toe-to-toe (I mostly play tamers and crafters these days). Hopefully he can jump in with some more information here. I made myself go start looking at the armor refinement stuff on TC because I have a strong feeling that this is just the first chunk of it, as it only affects nonmeddable armor (i.e., metal, dragon scale, studded, hide, bone, woodland, and stone armor). I keep thinking that the dev team is going to roll out another set of refinement components that will be combined with braid and maybe other materials to produce thread and other items to refine meddable armor resists and some property that is valuable to spellcasters.

So, if you made it all the way down to here with reading and somehow what I wrote makes some kind of sense and doesn't just read like gibberish, I guess take heart that it doesn't look like at this point it's going to be necessary to stockpile 336 different kinds of polish, scour, wash, cure, gloss or varnish. If you want to refine something, you might just use what you have on hand and hope it affects the exact number of resists you want to have affected and creates a DCI modifier that you want. And if it doesn't work, you pick out a different one, cross your fingers, apply it and hope that it worked. If you want a stronger effect, you go with something that is at one of the "higher" levels e.g., Invulnerability, Fortification, or Hardening) and hope the RNG lets them affect as many resists as possible. If you want less of an effect, you use a plating, thread, or resin of a lower level (Defense, Shielding, or Guarding) and pray the RNG lets the refinement affect only one or a few resists.

Let me know if you spot anything wrong in this and I'll be happy to fix it.

Awesome job, thank you.

Quick question, did you find that it is always a case where no more than 1% of an individual resist comes off on a piece? Was there never a case where you would lose like, 3 phys, 2 fire for 10 dci?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome job, thank you.

Quick question, did you find that it is always a case where no more than 1% of an individual resist comes off on a piece? Was there never a case where you would lose like, 3 phys, 2 fire for 10 dci?
It has always been so far -1% or +1% per resist and always a multiple of 2% for the max DCI modifier. What has varied has been how many and which resists were affected and the multiple of 2% for the DCI modifier. If only 1 resist was affected, then the DCI modifier percentage would be 2%; if 2 were affected, then 4% for the DCI modifier; and so on up to 10% for the DCI modifier if all 5 resists were affected. Use Gheed's chart to see the order in which the resists will be affected, because the order varies by the type of armor. It doesn't appear there is any type of nonmeddable armor where you can guarantee a bump (or decrease) to the Poison resist.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in this system if you managed to get 10% DCI modifier on five pieces you would have a suit where max resists were 65-65-65-65-65(70) and your max DCI was 95?

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you so much Tina! And also to the players willing to spend time on Test working out all of these nuances. My crafter is a bit glassy eyed at the moment, after reading all of that - but I would much rather read about it now than look at it when it hits our shard and wonder what it's all about!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you so much Tina! And also to the players willing to spend time on Test working out all of these nuances. My crafter is a bit glassy eyed at the moment, after reading all of that - but I would much rather read about it now than look at it when it hits our shard and wonder what it's all about!
I am very concerned about the location of the smithing shop for Fel and really hope others will voice their concerns as well, if they have any. Kyronix seemed willing to consider moving it to another town (he seemed to have forgotten that Buc's Den has no guards), but I don't know if it's going to happen. They are trying to not use faction towns in Fel for this sort of stuff, so that really does limit their possibilities. I just think using Buc's Den is a bad choice, especially on Siege. The thieves and PKs probably don't agree, but if this change and the other changes affecting stamina are meant to promote the use of other types of armor besides leather, why not give the new stuff a fighting chance at being used? I just can't see people taking crafters loaded with uninsured/unblessable materials (and armor, on Siege at least) to Bucs Den on a regular basis to use this system.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case you haven't checked it out yet, this is a quick and dirty screen shot of the new CC status bar that you get if you run the cient_tc file (be sure to Run as Administrator, if applicable). I can get it to open on shards other than TC but don't know if it's completely supported yet.

New Status Bar.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case you haven't checked it out yet, this is a quick and dirty screen shot of the new CC status bar that you get if you run the cient_tc file (be sure to Run as Administrator, if applicable). I can get it to open on shards other than TC but don't know if it's completely supported yet.

View attachment 12775
I HOPE THAT MAKES IT OUT! That is AMAZING

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I HOPE THAT MAKES IT OUT! That is AMAZING
Yeah its long overdue for the classic client to have something like that. The EC already lists all that stuff but currently in the classic client your only option for much of that stuff is to add up the values yourself :/

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So ive barely scanned this and tested just a bit but I just want to clarify...we can not add dci to armour pieces, we are just adding to our max dci potential once we get our whole suit put together? You can mix and match your pieces some to ad more max dci potential and some to add greater resist potential per piece?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So ive barely scanned this and tested just a bit but I just want to clarify...we can not add dci to armour pieces, we are just adding to our max dci potential once we get our whole suit put together? You can mix and match your pieces some to ad more max dci potential and some to add greater resist potential per piece?
That's my understanding. I edited my previous long post to clarify on the resists and added more screen shots.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
8% DCI loss for +1 in max resist? Are they on crack?
Well its 2% dci loss for 1% in max resist. I think maybe in certain situations if you had more control over what resists you raised it would be good. The 8% is probably because 4 resist caps were raised by 1%. The randomness and lack of good control over what resists actualy raise really kill it though. Ideally each intensity level should effect the number of resists effect in a set way. So if I used defense it would always only raise one resist for instance. Also ideally we should be able to raise/lower whatever resist we choose but that might be possible I donlt know. It really needs a lot of work and I think at this point they should just scrap it or at least save it for another publish and take alot more time working on it.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem with the status bar is you cant tell your health at a glance when it is open!!!!!!
we need to have 2 bars open at the same time. the normal bars and that gui that gives the info.
also it would be nice to have a hovering number of your weight limits such as 456/501
perhaps have it turning red when you are over weight. to be able to see at a glance.

we need this on CC

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem with the status bar is you cant tell your health at a glance when it is open!!!!!!
we need to have 2 bars open at the same time. the normal bars and that gui that gives the info.
also it would be nice to have a hovering number of your weight limits such as 456/501
perhaps have it turning red when you are over weight. to be able to see at a glance.

we need this on CC
Thats what the use of UO Assist is for. It gives you all that info. A bar with health/stam/mana and a weight option too.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is where you'll want to see Barry's post here about DCI over-capping and anything else you can find on the issue: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-4#post-2242902 .
I got onto TC last night and crafted a 5 piece suit that was +50 DCI cap and -5 in all resists. I could only get the +10 DCI cap using the invulnerable refinements, and each of those pieces was always -1 in each of the five resists. I think Barry's info is correct based on the other pieces I'd refined which did not get to +10.

I will say it probably took me about 15 or 20 refinements using the invulnerable to get the 5 pieces with +10 DCI cap. Most of the "failed" refinements ended with +8 DCI cap (and -1 in four resists), but at least one of them had only +4 DCI cap (and -1 in two resists). I *think* another had only +2 DCI cap (and -1 in one resist)...but assumed I must have used the wrong refinement as surely you would not be able to roll the minimum when doing an invulnerable refinement, right?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got onto TC last night and crafted a 5 piece suit that was +50 DCI cap and -5 in all resists. I could only get the +10 DCI cap using the invulnerable refinements, and each of those pieces was always -1 in each of the five resists. I think Barry's info is correct based on the other pieces I'd refined which did not get to +10.

I will say it probably took me about 15 or 20 refinements using the invulnerable to get the 5 pieces with +10 DCI cap. Most of the "failed" refinements ended with +8 DCI cap (and -1 in four resists), but at least one of them had only +4 DCI cap (and -1 in two resists). I *think* another had only +2 DCI cap (and -1 in one resist)...but assumed I must have used the wrong refinement as surely you would not be able to roll the minimum when doing an invulnerable refinement, right?
Oh you can and do!

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is where you'll want to see Barry's post here about DCI over-capping and anything else you can find on the issue: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-4#post-2242902 .
I went further in this post, with pretty charts: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295073/page-8#post-2244401

The HLD changes are on the right track.

However, DCI Overcapping detracts from the usefulness of the +DCI Cap Armor Refinements. It makes determining "if they are worth it" messy. Because of DCI Overcapping, most of the time it is more beneficial to not use refinements, because you will keep a higher DCI through HLD and not incur the resist loss, than if you used the refinements. DCI Overcapping completley changes the usefulness of the refinements versus HLD Opponents and non-HLD Opponents. DCI Overcapping needs to go away.

If they eliminate DCI Overcapping and revise the 336 Non-Stackable new Armor Reinforcement items to a more reasonable number, then we will be left with a nice touch to customize our armor with. The DCI/Resist trade-off is a sound mechanic. It opens the door for future trade-offs.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina Small, thank you for the awesome write up on the Armor Refinements. You definitely jumped into the deep end of the pool for this publish. :eek:

I'm just sitting on the edge, dangling my feet in the water. :p

I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work. Thank You Again.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina Small, thank you for the awesome write up on the Armor Refinements. You definitely jumped into the deep end of the pool for this publish. :eek:

I'm just sitting on the edge, dangling my feet in the water. :p

I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work. Thank You Again.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Thanks, Barry. I have to admit I needed to make MANY changes to that writeup. It evolved quite a bit as I started to understand more about what was going on, especially with regard to the resist caps. I'm still trying to get the DCI/HLD stuff through my thick skull (your graphs will help once I make myself sit down long enough to read everything and ponder it a while). But hopefully the writeup on armor refinement will at least help people begin to understand where to go to get the materials and how to apply the armor refinement items and to be able to speak up now while this is all still in testing if they see anything about the process of refining that bothers them. I'm afraid it won't be of much use to someone who is trying to decide if the end result of refinement makes sense in their particular situation, though.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, Barry. I have to admit I needed to make MANY changes to that writeup.
Apparently I need to train up my Formatting Posts skills. I fizzled in the UHall post I linked. :p

Too bad there is no NPC trainer here. ;)

Stayin Alive,

BG

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently I need to train up my Formatting Posts skills. I fizzled in the UHall post I linked. :p

Too bad there is no NPC trainer here. ;)

Stayin Alive,

BG
I think you've fixed the formatting of the post with the charts just fine. It was very legible for me both before and after I logged in, no dark/gray text either way.