• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction Changes

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just started playing again and it seems like I am way behind on all the changes to factions. Is there an update guide somewhere?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
not that i can think of.
they seem to change stuff every couple months so it got left until they got done with it.
and then of course it just got left.....

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not that i can think of.
they seem to change stuff every couple months so it got left until they got done with it.
and then of course it just got left.....
Thanks Poo, then I am not as far behind as I thought I would be!!!

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There isn't much left in the way of factions. They ran it pretty hard into the ground and I don't think they can salvage it. They are now looking to scrap it and replace it with the Chaos / Order system.

Overall I am pretty disappointed with how this turned out, and have since taken all of my characters except the thief (no clue why I haven't yet) out of factions.

I am hoping they let me beta test the Elder Scrolls game since my accounts are set to go inactive again for awhile.

Saul_Siege

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually look forward to O/C replacing factions. Hopefully it rolls out soon.

I'd like my siege perilous hero dyed shroud of shadows to be equippable outside of factions. :)
It's value will skyrocket.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually look forward to O/C replacing factions. Hopefully it rolls out soon.

I'd like my siege perilous hero dyed shroud of shadows to be equippable outside of factions. :)
It's value will skyrocket.
I am torn about all this talk of scrapping factions. Some of my best times were faction related. Changes may be needed, but for that to happen, I think we need to get a community push with some sort of direction.

Barney_wins_UO

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bestest timeds for barney wased Factions.

I comed back UO nows, seemds mroe balance and point wipe was good to do, an faction itams all rank 1 ids good too.

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am torn about all this talk of scrapping factions. Some of my best times were faction related. Changes may be needed, but for that to happen, I think we need to get a community push with some sort of direction.
I agree that some of the best fun in this game came from Factions. I also have wondered if a good focus group/discussion group would be helpful. If anyone would like to organize a discussion Sosaria Reels would be happy to provide video coverage or even livestream it. As long as it remains a rational helpful discussion and does not degrade to name calling ;)

Some things, imo, that did and didn't work:

1. Timer changes. The change from 10 hour corruption to 4 wasn't necessarily bad. You could organize an evening or weekend defense without players giving up their sleep/lives for the better part of a day (yes I have gone to work after no sleep more than once having defended all night). The fact they came back into play so quickly wasn't good. Maybe a shorter length of corruption time and leave the time for purification alone (3 days)?
2. The points situation was just an exploit waiting to happen. The points wipe was good.
3. The current "poofing" (I call it that cuz that is all I seem to see these days) of Faction gear after 4 weeks ... eh, for me not so good. For players that have established their characters and are busy to the point they almost have to schedule play time, the logging in and seeing your gear go "poof" after you have only had a few opportunities to play the character while using that set is rather disheartening. Maybe base it on hours of play rather than calendar days? Truly, I don't know, just trying to think of other options.
4. We NEED a reason to fight for the towns. A consequence when the towns are controlled by good or evil. I personally played factions for the good vs. evil. I play COM or TB to keep the sigs from those evil Minax and SL but these days most players need a benefit, or negative consequence, to get involved.
5. Not being able to see who has the most (mega million billion) points is good. I would like to see a list for each shard of which faction controls the towns and who has held them for the longest time. Maybe a lil competition to see which faction can be the shard leader for town control. Not sure this would do anything to rekindle a competitive spirit as most players, as I said above, need a benefit or consequence.

I truly do miss faction play. I haven't played except to cover an event or go with friends as a healer since factions began its decline. Acquiring items or "more" means nothing to me. So if anyone knows of a good cause out there in the UO world, let me know ;)