• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's a good way to make "walls?"

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finally finished the main part of my house, got all the goza's placed for the extra floors, but now I'm struggling to find a good way to make fake walls for the 5th and 6th floors. I'm using large hedges with campions, but that's starting to look a bit heavy. I'm using bamboo/shoji screens covered in vines but I'm not entirely happy with that look either. Benches..too many lock downs and they're ugly. Any ideas?

Olive Oyle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, tried that, looks kinda funny, but thanks.
Hello,

Just returned to the game - so it's been a while since I have done any serious decorating. But one of the very old school ways was to use either Quarter Staffs or Gnarled Staffs (for the East facing wall) AND Black Staff (for the South facing wall) pile on top of each other . You can make them over lap or sit 'tip to tip' for a solid wall effect.

For windows, you stack say 5 or 6 high and then place a bench - this give the effect of a window sill - you can even place a flower pot :)

For the roof we use to use coloured cut cloth - but with Goza's, it's now so much easier. The door ways were two stacks benchs with a gap between them..

The overall look is very effective. You may need to play around with it and experiment.

Have Fun - Olive Oyle

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello,

Just returned to the game - so it's been a while since I have done any serious decorating. But one of the very old school ways was to use either Quarter Staffs or Gnarled Staffs (for the East facing wall) AND Black Staff (for the South facing wall) pile on top of each other . You can make them over lap or sit 'tip to tip' for a solid wall effect.

For windows, you stack say 5 or 6 high and then place a bench - this give the effect of a window sill - you can even place a flower pot :)

For the roof we use to use coloured cut cloth - but with Goza's, it's now so much easier. The door ways were two stacks benchs with a gap between them..

The overall look is very effective. You may need to play around with it and experiment.

Have Fun - Olive Oyle
Yeah I had considered the gnarled staff look (and if you hoard things like I do, there used to be gnarled staffs that face both directions - not sure if they still exist), but it's a bit rustic and that's a ton of lockdowns to make an entire upper level. Great ideas all, think I'll keep playing around though...I've got a very specific look in mind as I'm trying to make an elegant roof top addition for my elf themed home and thought maybe there were some decorations out there that would do. I have seen someone make interesting square pillars out of vesper thrones...might try something with that. But keep the ideas coming. Even if it doesn't help me, it might inspire others.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love to see a picture of this.
When it's finally done I'll post pictures here of course and would be happy to give an on-shard tour of the place. Could even show some people around to some of the nicer player homes that I know of on Catskills. Always meant to keep a rune book for just that purpose. Always thought we should have a "parade of homes" style event where someone from the host shard would take visitors from other shards around to see the homes in person....but one thing at a time....still have lots of work to do on this house.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it's finally done I'll post pictures here of course and would be happy to give an on-shard tour of the place. Could even show some people around to some of the nicer player homes that I know of on Catskills. Always meant to keep a rune book for just that purpose. Always thought we should have a "parade of homes" style event where someone from the host shard would take visitors from other shards around to see the homes in person....but one thing at a time....still have lots of work to do on this house.
Can't wait to see the pics... And a "parade of homes" event would be wonderful... Great idea, Irulia...

T

Tazar

I've generally used hedges for additional floors - except for one case when I wanted more of a cavern look to the room. There I used the tall flowstones to compile the walls.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm thinking that the Gargish chests might stack well enough to make a "Wall".... They are "slimmer" looking than most chests. And would probably take up less lockdowns.

Last edited:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And a "parade of homes" event would be wonderful... Great idea, Irulia...
Well I believe Kayhynn already started something along these lines, posting pics of homes. I would just like to make it a little more interactive, since seeing the homes in-person (so to speak) would also allow a little more community interaction.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I remember a few shards do those. Sonoma comes to mind for Christmas and Halloween tours. But yes, I'd love to hop on a parade of homes on various shards - my tour returns this week now that the holiday bussle is over...and I'm still looking for homes to tour :)

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I had considered the gnarled staff look (and if you hoard things like I do, there used to be gnarled staffs that face both directions - not sure if they still exist), but it's a bit rustic and that's a ton of lockdowns to make an entire upper level. Great ideas all, think I'll keep playing around though...I've got a very specific look in mind as I'm trying to make an elegant roof top addition for my elf themed home and thought maybe there were some decorations out there that would do. I have seen someone make interesting square pillars out of vesper thrones...might try something with that. But keep the ideas coming. Even if it doesn't help me, it might inspire others.
gnarled staff's... i just had to hoarde these for lattice i was building.. skara brae ranger huts, every 10-20 minutes the barrel fill up again, no stealing required, just mark fel and tram and it'll take a while.. lol um, curtains, and place tapestries in the middle section could be walls as well.. use rubble wall to place the cutains/tapestries if it says you need a wall... goodluck.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really? How do you hide all the open shelves? I considered the arcane bookshelf, but it was too busy looking even with vines in front of them.
I was thinking in the practical way as in comes close to being the shape of the walls.Sorry wasn't thinking about deco part of it.

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking in the practical way as in comes close to being the shape of the walls.Sorry wasn't thinking about deco part of it.
What about those plain wooden chests? Tall Cabinets? They're kinda flat textured, wood and lattice.

rmjcsr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
large forges broken and stacked makes a nice stone wall effect

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh yep, discovered that one...also invested in some holiday tickets..if you dye and stack display cases it gives a very smooth wall, but need a lot of them!!

Logan Anderson

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I know this is months late, but if you want a solid wall, you can stack the elven chests (east or south facing). After they are placed, you can release the container portion and -so far- mine have not decayed. The big drawback is that you cannot place them on the easternmost or southernmost walls.